Photo

[Item] Devil Fruits: Types and General Discussions (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#21 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

No, but Akainu never floated.

The only time he was shown to travel is underground. The image shown is him jumping to attack.

I think I kept saying I never meant ''float''. I used ''hover'' which I think means different. If it doesn't, then I used the word wrong but anw what I was trying to say is never ''float'' so you can forget that.

Uh huh. Yeah. That's what I meant. Any kind of traveling with upper body in the air, twisting, circling around counts. Doesn't matter if they float or jump or spring from the ground.

Synonymous means the same.

depends on context and country though. There are many so-called synonymous words but often you can always find certain meaning of theirs that technically mean different things, no matter how subtle they are (though normally in daily life language they are used in the same way) or people in different country use them differently.

I'm sure ''hover'' is different from ''float'' in a certain sense but maybe it's not the one I want to convey.

They cannot do these things ... So your point is a farce and patently untrue. Smoker is the only logia who has been shown to emerge from his element and attack in the manner that he has.

They can. Croc and Akainu did that.

I've seen them and there is no evidence that he's travelling beyond jumping.

...What? If it's simply jumping, there's no reason to turn your lower body into sand or magma. When Croc runs up the stairs in Impel Down, his legs are also sand...

Height and duration were not factors in my evidencing why your assumption is baseless.

What assumption? It's manga canon that Croc and Akainu did that. As I said, you keep repeating the ''float'' thing but I have made it clear from the first time you uttered that word that I never meant that.

"and you can imbue CoA on it" - again, proof ... ? It being 'solid' is not proof.

Why not? So what are all the weapons that have been imbued CoA? Liquid? Or Gas?

Whatever it was that you quoted and attempted to use to wrangle instability in my words.

no idea what you're talking about so just tell me. The ''Akainu can coat magma fist in Hardening'' or...?

In your words and replies. The ellipses and emoticons are the most clear cut to evidence.

I used emoticons in that post where? And what ellipses?

@ShinmenTakezo and @Madara D Dragon, I haven't used even one emoticon in this whole discussion with Rabbit. Can you help me look for one?

Smoker has not shown CoA on his smoke either yet you're asserting that as factual over a possibility. Double standards much? :rolleyes:

Because we haven't seen anyone of worth using tonfa in this manga, should we say tonfa cannot be imbued CoA? No. Weapon can be imbued with Hardening if it's solid, just like Smoker's solidified smoke. We have precedences and alike.

But Smoke's real life deadliness is not something Smoker ever shows, even though they can help him in certain matches. Different matters.

You're doing Strawman, really.

Burning hotter wouldn't save a flame from being extinguished by magma. Magma can cut out the oxygen.

How, in the same context as Akainu vs Ace?

If "do the users show it?" is your mantra, then all that you've said is to be ignored ... :<_<:

As I said, different matters.

You are contesting and refuting ...

No. It's not like I present points that are opposite to yours or said your reasoning is wrong or something. I merely explained why Smoker's fruit's deadliness is something I don't think of as anything more than a mere possibility (which is very improbable IMO). I never disagree with or reject your idea that smoke is deadly and there's a chance Smoker may be deadly but chooses not to show it. If I don't do that, it's not contest or refute.

And then you're still not telling me about the smoke's deadliness you're talking about.

Edited by Fulmine, 25 November 2014 - 06:01 AM.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#22 solarmovies951

solarmovies951

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

What if there is a shark devil fruit only for Fishermen.

#23 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

I think I kept saying I never meant ''float''. I used ''hover'' which I think means different. If it doesn't, then I used the word wrong but anw what I was trying to say is never ''float'' so you can forget that.

Uh huh. Yeah. That's what I meant. Any kind of traveling with upper body in the air, twisting, circling around counts. Doesn't matter if they float or jump or spring from the ground.

depends on context and country though. There are many so-called synonymous words but often you can always find certain meaning of theirs that technically mean different things, no matter how subtle they are (though normally in daily life language they are used in the same way) or people in different country use them differently.

I'm sure ''hover'' is different from ''float'' in a certain sense but maybe it's not the one I want to convey.

They can. Croc and Akainu did that.

...What? If it's simply jumping, there's no reason to turn your lower body into sand or magma. When Croc runs up the stairs in Impel Down, his legs are also sand...

What assumption? It's manga canon that Croc and Akainu did that. As I said, you keep repeating the ''float'' thing but I have made it clear from the first time you uttered that word that I never meant that.

Why not? So what are all the weapons that have been imbued CoA? Liquid? Or Gas?

no idea what you're talking about so just tell me. The ''Akainu can coat magma fist in Hardening'' or...?

I used emoticons in that post where? And what ellipses?

@ShinmenTakezo and @Madara D Dragon, I haven't used even one emoticon in this whole discussion with Rabbit. Can you help me look for one?

Because we haven't seen anyone of worth using tonfa in this manga, should we say tonfa cannot be imbued CoA? No. Weapon can be imbued with Hardening if it's solid, just like Smoker's solidified smoke. We have precedences and alike.

But Smoke's real life deadliness is not something Smoker ever shows, even though they can help him in certain matches. Different matters.

You're doing Strawman, really.

How, in the same context as Akainu vs Ace?

As I said, different matters.

No. It's not like I present points that are opposite to yours or said your reasoning is wrong or something. I merely explained why Smoker's fruit's deadliness is something I don't think of as anything more than a mere possibility (which is very improbable IMO). I never disagree with or reject your idea that smoke is deadly and there's a chance Smoker may be deadly but chooses not to show it. If I don't do that, it's not contest or refute.

And then you're still not telling me about the smoke's deadliness you're talking about.

Float or hover, the events still fail to function.

Then you need to relearn English. Everything you've said has indicated traveling powered by the fruit perpetually, not using it as a springboard.

You're using English, so the country is England. On the handful of possible different iterations between hover and float they'd still all be ineffective for your attempt at a statement.

Where did they do it? 

How can he run if he has no legs ... ? Self-defeating once again.

Manga canon that Crocodile and Akainu affected Law's room?  Do show those pages ...

So that it's not been shown to happen. With your logic I can state to a full certainty that Nami has a penis or that Zoro can cook better than Sanji.

I've no clue. I don't bother remembering conversations with people I don't consider worth talking to. You've no evidence, no interesting point, just a rant. You're not even aware of what you say yourself, so why should I bother keeping track for you?

Try looking harder ... or looking at all.

Ha, no. The strawman fallacy applies to you. I'm requesting the evidence for the original statement. You're trying to reframe it. We should say that we do not KNOW that tonfa can be imbued with haki. It's incredibly likely, but there's no guarantee. It may be that they're the equivalent of wood to Green Lantern's ring.

There has been no use of haki by a logia on their dispersed element.

It's the same context because Akainu is magma and Ace is fire ... As much as I hate people using it as an argument, have you even read the manga?

How are they different matters? You can't logically affirm one and dismiss the other.

You have and do ... And you never stated it was a possibility, you outright stated it was nonlethal. What is there to tell you about smoke being deadly? You agreed that it was. As I said, I'm not going to do your thinking for you.

They'd still be unable to use it underwater. Unless VD was something of a fool then FI has shown that even fishmen become immobile underwater if they've eaten a DF.

#24 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

Float or hover, the events still fail to function.

It's neither now...

Then you need to relearn English. Everything you've said has indicated traveling powered by the fruit perpetually, not using it as a springboard.

There's nothing about ''perpetually'' that I said.

You're using English, so the country is England.

What? No!

Where did they do it?

In the manga! You don't accept them and adamant they jump. Sorry, I don't think so. It's clearly they can move around with that. Croc is clearly in the air. There's zero reason to turn his leg into sand if it's just jump

How can he run if he has no legs ... ? Self-defeating once again.

Semantic, eh? Okay, my bad for no quotation mark or I should have used ''goes''. For your question, well, maybe a wheel is good enough. Car runs. No leg.

Manga canon that Crocodile and Akainu affected Law's room? Do show those pages ...

Huh? Why is Law's Room mentioned here? We've never talked about that in this discussion...

So that it's not been shown to happen. With your logic I can state to a full certainty that Nami has a penis or that Zoro can cook better than Sanji.

The probability of those happening are absurdly lower...

I've no clue. I don't bother remembering conversations with people I don't consider worth talking to. You've no evidence, no interesting point, just a rant. You're not even aware of what you say yourself,

so why should I bother keeping track for you?

You're talking to me. So no idea why you mention people you don't consider worth talking to.

Because you're complaining about wrangle your words which I don't think I did, so explain it. If you don't want to, okay.

Try looking harder ... or looking at all.

I have never used emoticon when talking to you in this thread. That's a blatant lie.

Ellipses? That's arguable. People have different standard. Maybe you think my way of talking implies that but honestly I wasn't being snippy or derisive at all. Believe it or not, your choice. That's all I have to say.

Ha, no. The strawman fallacy applies to you. I'm requesting the evidence for the original statement. You're trying to reframe it. We should say that we do not KNOW that tonfa can be imbued with haki. It's incredibly likely, but there's no guarantee. It may be that they're the equivalent of wood to Green Lantern's ring.

Yeah, but that's why this is not a ''considering possibility'' type of post. I already said that many times. There's no reason for us to think otherwise until something new is stated.

There has been no use of haki by a logia on their dispersed element.

Smoker is special. He can solidify his element.

It's the same context because Akainu is magma and Ace is fire ...

As much as I hate people using it as an argument, have you even read the manga?

I ask ''how''. I didn't say they are different context.

Yes, I do.

How are they different matters? You can't logically affirm one and dismiss the other.

You can.

The chance one happens is much much much higher than the other. Because one has precedence and logic reasoning backing it up, the other is mere conjecture. You may think smoke being deadly is likely but that's only real world. No one so far, when fighting Smoker, has complained about hard to breath, teary eyes, lung cancer, weird smell etc., no psychological effect nor physical phenomenon. Not even when fighting in buildings which should be an ideal place (confined) to apply those deadliness of smoke. And Smoker never shows those qualities even when he's serious and wants to win. Unless you're talking about a different deadliness which I'm all ear.

You have and do

Have and do what? Contest&refute? No I didn't and I have explained why. Keep saying I do it with no explanation does not make your point valid. If you're talking about something else, what is it?

And you never stated it was a possibility, you outright stated it was nonlethal. What is there to tell you about smoke being deadly? You agreed that it was. As I said, I'm not going to do your thinking for you.

I state it nonlethal like Akainu's fruit and the scenario I talked about is about the move I was suggesting Smoker may be able to do (his own Elephant Gattling) so the deadliness pertains to that specifically, meaning the kind of deadliness that kill you when in physical contact (in Akainu's case, it's the heat or in Magellan who has poison). I never said it can't be nonlethal in every way (poisonous or making people die due to lack of oxygen etc. like smoke in real life).

Which is why I ask ''what kind of deadliness are you talking about?''.

#25 RhetoricalRabbit

RhetoricalRabbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationOundle

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

It's neither now...

There's nothing about ''perpetually'' that I said.

What? No!

In the manga! You don't accept them and adamant they jump. Sorry, I don't think so. It's clearly they can move around with that. Croc is clearly in the air. There's zero reason to turn his leg into sand if it's just jump

Semantic, eh? Okay, my bad for no quotation mark or I should have used ''goes''. For your question, well, maybe a wheel is good enough. Car runs. No leg.

Huh? Why is Law's Room mentioned here? We've never talked about that in this discussion...

The probability of those happening are absurdly lower...

You're talking to me. So no idea why you mention people you don't consider worth talking to.

Because you're complaining about wrangle your words which I don't think I did, so explain it. If you don't want to, okay.

I have never used emoticon when talking to you in this thread. That's a blatant lie.

Ellipses? That's arguable. People have different standard. Maybe you think my way of talking implies that but honestly I wasn't being snippy or derisive at all. Believe it or not, your choice. That's all I have to say.

Yeah, but that's why this is not a ''considering possibility'' type of post. I already said that many times. There's no reason for us to think otherwise until something new is stated.

Smoker is special. He can solidify his element.

I ask ''how''. I didn't say they are different context.

Yes, I do.

You can.

The chance one happens is much much much higher than the other. Because one has precedence and logic reasoning backing it up, the other is mere conjecture. You may think smoke being deadly is likely but that's only real world. No one so far, when fighting Smoker, has complained about hard to breath, teary eyes, lung cancer, weird smell etc., no psychological effect nor physical phenomenon. Not even when fighting in buildings which should be an ideal place (confined) to apply those deadliness of smoke. And Smoker never shows those qualities even when he's serious and wants to win. Unless you're talking about a different deadliness which I'm all ear.

Have and do what? Contest&refute? No I didn't and I have explained why. Keep saying I do it with no explanation does not make your point valid. If you're talking about something else, what is it?

I state it nonlethal like Akainu's fruit and the scenario I talked about is about the move I was suggesting Smoker may be able to do (his own Elephant Gattling) so the deadliness pertains to that specifically, meaning the kind of deadliness that kill you when in physical contact (in Akainu's case, it's the heat or in Magellan who has poison). I never said it can't be nonlethal in every way (poisonous or making people die due to lack of oxygen etc. like smoke in real life).

Which is why I ask ''what kind of deadliness are you talking about?''.

It was never anything. Your point failed to fly. Like Akainu. 

That's why the word 'indicated' was used. What is your first language? I can discuss it in whatever your primary one is if that would make it easier for you. 

Yes ...

Try sand-blasting your foot. Feel how much force there is. That seems a good reason / method to boost a jump.

It's not semantics. The act of running necessitates legs. If you're wishing to debate whether he could create a sand-wheel, then feel free to provide conclusive or even suggestive evidence. It'd be a first.

I never said you were not worth talking to. Just that you were not worth remembering.  Don't try and put words in my mouth when you aren't aware of those in your own.

In fact ... I really can't be bothered to keep reiterating the same things piecemeal.

You make foundationless assumptions and assert them as fact. It's that simple.

#26 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

It was never anything. Your point failed to fly. Like Akainu.

It was always something. Only that the word I used didn't carry the meaning across, which is why I have been explaining to you.

That's why the word 'indicated' was used. What is your first language? I can discuss it in whatever your primary one is if that would make it easier for you.

There's no indication as I see it. What indication are you seeing?

What language do you know?

Yes ...

No!

Try sand-blasting your foot. Feel how much force there is. That seems a good reason / method to boost a jump.

Show me a video of that method? And then even so, explain to me how Crocodile can move in the air that long time at the same speed as Jinbe and Luffy running?

It's not semantics. The act of running necessitates legs.

Nah, Car does not have legs. We still use ''run'' for it.

I never said you were not worth talking to. Just that you were not worth remembering. Don't try and put words in my mouth when you aren't aware of those in your own.

YOU ARE the one who is putting words in my mouth. Where did I say that you said I was not worth talking to? What I said is the below:

whose meaning is obvious: I simply ask why you mention people you don't consider worth talking to...which you said here:

I don't bother remembering conversations with people I don't consider worth talking to

which means you don't remember conversation with people you don't consider worth talking to. But you're talking to me so I'm not in that category hence why I ask ''why are you talking about people you consider not worth talking to?''. I never said that you said that I was not worth talking to.

In short, if you want to say ""you are not worth remembering, Fulmine'' then you should have said just that, instead of talking about another group of people that I don't belong to.

In fact ... I really can't be bothered to keep reiterating the same things piecemeal.

Because you assert stuffs that are never there, except for my use of ''hover''. You haven't explained your ''deadliness'' and how it is related to the one Akainu has (which I compare Smoker to), you say my point is changed when called in question which I explained and then you brushed it aside by ''I don't bother remember'', you mentioned Law's Room which is never part of the discussion, you said ''the country is England'' despite the fact that many other English-speaking country exist, you accuse me of using emoticon and ellipses that are snippy and derisive even though every post of mine in this thread that is part of my conversation with you has no emoticon whatsoever and ellipses is sometimes a matter of standard etc.

You're doing Strawman, unreasonable request, lying, and ''I don't (or can't?) explain, you try to know it yourself'' attitude, which is fine, it's your right to explain or not but then spare me the accusations

#27 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I doubt it. I'm not even sure it is possible to reverse the effect of a Devil Fruit once it has been applied. Discussion for another topic, though.

We've seen or been told about the infusion of haki in non-standard forms though. Smoker's comment to Tashigi about needing haki to deal with Law's devil fruit and also Zoro's air slash cutting Monet's cheek. While this doesn't prove anything, it does give us some idea of the rules that haki works under. I personally believe that haki, given time or strength, could reverse the effect of a Devil Fruit.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#28 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

We've seen or been told about the infusion of haki in non-standard forms though. Smoker's comment to Tashigi about needing haki to deal with Law's devil fruit and also Zoro's air slash cutting Monet's cheek. While this doesn't prove anything, it does give us some idea of the rules that haki works under. I personally believe that haki, given time or strength, could reverse the effect of a Devil Fruit.

What do you mean by "non-standard forms"?

Smoker's comment to Tashigi can (and probably should) be understood as being able to block Law's abilities, Vergo-style (the way Doflamingo assumed they won't work on Vergo.) I think that's sufficient grounds for saying that haki can block (if is strong enough) a derpslice, for example. But reversing the effect of a derpslice is a whole other thing. 

#29 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

Yes, except Derpslices don't leave wounds; they only separate. And separating Aokiji's real body into two parts would still allow him to turn into his element and fuse up. At most, it could demand that he turns into his element, moves the two blocks of ice next to each other, turns into human form, and reattaches himself manually. I would bet against that being required, but it's the absolute most I could see being the case.

It would allow him to turn into his element, but he can only form for what his body is. If you cut off Kuzan's leg, for example, he'd have to create a new leg in its place. He wouldn't just turn it into ice and reattach it. So if Law separate the true body, then the logia now has two bodies, but they can't reconnect while the ability is in play.

Okay, but that's practically the definition of fanfiction. It's never been indicated, has it?

It's the logical conclusion to me and how I understanding the workings of CoA.

What do you mean by "non-standard forms"?

Beyond the users body. I.E. their weapons, their techniques, etc.

Smoker's comment to Tashigi can (and probably should) be understood as being able to block Law's abilities, Vergo-style (the way Doflamingo assumed they won't work on Vergo.) I think that's sufficient grounds for saying that haki can block (if is strong enough) a derpslice, for example. But reversing the effect of a derpslice is a whole other thing.

They aren't that different in my opinion.

you said a logia shouldn't be able to reattach himself if he is cut with haki,

Correct.

I am saying if a logia user is cut with haki he retains the ability to use his DF, there fore, he retains the ability to reattach himself

Kuzan's missing leg says hello.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#30 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

They aren't that different in my opinion.

They're very different. Imagine if someone with super-haki can block Akainu's magma fist. This person gets hit when not paying attention. The effect of Akainu's DF is that this person now has a hole in their body. Can that be reversed? 

Similarly, Law's DF cuts things and going by his words, giving them a special "edge", according to the type of cut (derpslice or Radio Knife). Blocking prevents you from being cut. Once you're cut, you have that edge. Reversal implies you can remove that special edge after you have been cut.

Edited by Tale, 19 January 2015 - 10:38 AM.

• Fulmine likes this

#31 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

They're very different. Imagine if someone with super-haki can block Akainu's magma fist. This person gets hit when not paying attention. The effect of Akainu's DF is that this person now has a hole in their body. Can that be reversed?

Irrelevant to what I'm saying. Abilities like Law's give a lingering effect. By nature, it is continuous. Akainu is just hitting you and what he's left behind is the result of something. There are no lingering effects in play, no nature of his DF to contend with.

Similarly, Law's DF cuts things and going by his words, giving them a special "edge", according to the type of cut (derpslice or Radio Knife). Blocking prevents you from being cut. Once you're cut, you have that edge. Reversal implies you can remove that special edge after you have been cut.

Reversal means you remove the lingering ability.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#32 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Irrelevant to what I'm saying. Abilities like Law's give a lingering effect. By nature, it is continuous. Akainu is just hitting you and what he's left behind is the result of something. There are no lingering effects in play, no nature of his DF to contend with.

Reversal means you remove the lingering ability.

But that assumes that Law's derpslice is a lingering effect in the sense you mean. You can also think of it as a result of an effect of Law's DF.

#33 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

But that assumes that Law's derpslice is a lingering effect in the sense you mean. You can also think of it as a result of an effect of Law's DF.

But the ability ends, or can end, which means that some part of it has to be lingering. There has to be something that "attaches the rule" in order for the rule to "go away."

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#34 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

But the ability ends, or can end, which means that some part of it has to be lingering. There has to be something that "attaches the rule" in order for the rule to "go away."

But "the ability ends, or can end" isn't a reason to conclude that it lingers, because it already presupposes that there is an ability which lingers.

If you think of it as a "cut with an edge", then there is no ability that ends. The cut is just the effect of the ability (derpslice) which has already ended. The edges can be put back together and that removes the cut.

Edited by Tale, 19 January 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#35 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

But "the ability ends, or can end" isn't a reason to conclude that it lingers, because it already presupposes that there is an ability which lingers.

There are abilities, like Law's heart swap, that linger and end based off of his whims. You could argue that he has to reapply the ability for that to work, but I'd argue that such is a case of a lingering ability, and that lingering abilities can be infused with haki in the long term.

If you think of it as a "cut with an edge", then there is no ability that ends. The cut is just the effect of the ability (derpslice) which has already ended. The edges can be put back together and that removes the cut.

I think of it as a "cut with an affect" and assume that the affect lingers because that makes sense to me. Because there is magic, in Law's ability for example, that keeps one from dying horribly once they have been split. Some part of the technique's rules must then linger until everything is put back together enough to function.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#36 Scorpion2k4u

Scorpion2k4u

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts
  • Locationsurrounding you

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Well wouldn't make too much sense because you can't swim anymore. At best you become something like hody or arlong... just without the ability to swim.

2mg5kyb.jpg

#37 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

There are abilities, like Law's heart swap, that linger and end based off of his whims. You could argue that he has to reapply the ability for that to work, but I'd argue that such is a case of a lingering ability, and that lingering abilities can be infused with haki in the long term.

That example can be looked at in a different way, just like his derpslice. You can imagine that his ability consists of a personality switching "operation" which begins and ends with the personality change, and therefore does not linger. From that perspective, there's no question of haki being used to counter it after the operation is over, because there is nothing that has to maintain the personality change (in the sense that, if there wasn't or if it were removed, the personalities would return to their body.) In other words, I don't see Law ending his ability, but using it again.

I think of it as a "cut with an affect" and assume that the affect lingers because that makes sense to me. Because there is magic, in Law's ability for example, that keeps one from dying horribly once they have been split. Some part of the technique's rules must then linger until everything is put back together enough to function.

I don't think of this as there being a magic that "keeps" in any way. Rather, I see different types of "edges" that can be made in OP, and the Ope Ope no Mi is the Devil Fruit that can create two of them by cutting in a certain way. The "edge" itself (or "the way they were cut") accounts for the way the objects that are cut continue existing as if they were one object. (And I don't think that there's a possibility that people would die when derpsliced, because they are not cut in the conventional way.)

Edited by Tale, 19 January 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#38 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

That example can be looked at in a different way, just like his derpslice. You can imagine that his ability consists of a personality switching "operation" which begins and ends with the personality change, and therefore does not linger. From that perspective, there's no question of haki being used to counter it after the operation is over, because there is nothing that has to maintain the personality change (in the sense that, if there wasn't or if it were removed, the personalities would return to their body.) In other words, I don't see Law ending his ability, but using it again.

And I see it lingering as the logical explanation.

I don't think of this as there being a magic that "keeps" in any way. Rather, I see different types of "edges" that can be made in OP, and the Ope Ope no Mi is the Devil Fruit that can create two of them by cutting in a certain way. The "edge" itself (or "the way they were cut") accounts for the way the objects that are cut continue existing as if they were one object. (And I don't think that there's a possibility that people would die when derpsliced, because they are not cut in the conventional way.)

And I see the lingering of the "rule" of function being the lingering of the ability itself.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#39 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

And I see it lingering as the logical explanation.

Both explanations are logical. There is nothing that contradicts either of them. My preference for my explanation is simply that we've never seen anyone even attempt to reverse a Devil Fruit ability, and that we have to make a distinction between effects like Akainu's and effects like Law's for no reason at all (so far, anyway). :shrug:

#40 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Both explanations are logical. There is nothing that contradicts either of them. My preference for my explanation is simply that we've never seen anyone even attempt to reverse a Devil Fruit ability, and that we have to make a distinction between effects like Akainu's and effects like Law's for no reason at all (so far, anyway). :shrug:

It's not for no reason. I see the lack of distinction as having no real reason. 3:

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users