458 replies to this topic

#441 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

"Now, if there is something that you want to start talking about and the thread is archived, let us know and we'll pull it back into the active section. That's certainly not a problem at all."

i don't think that's very practical, when i don't see the serie i'm looking for, i assume there isn't a thread, looking into the archive isn't something which comes to mind

and if it wasn't archived i could just bump it right away

i think archiving, and eventually de-archiving, serie threads is more work for you mods which isn't really needed, and it also makes those serie threads not visible in the while, which doesn't help with potential new members

yup, mostly what oben had already explained

Edited by Zeando, 15 August 2016 - 04:01 PM.

• Petite Fleur likes this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#442 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,613 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:23 AM

I have no opinion on the archiving threads, but I do have one on whether we are based around manga discussion.

I think the answer is no. A lot of members still actively read manga, but I don't think I've seen a real quality discussion in months. All I see is the same old faces posturing and arguing about points only tangentially related to manga. Manga is what brought the community together originally, but manga is no longer the focus.

Discussion is hard work and nobody wants to put in the time. When people do? They never get responses that took equal effort.

I do share your feelings @Zeando, but I don't think there is any way to stimulate activity short of bringing the manga reader back.

#443 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

^ currently? i think so too, we're not about mangas currently, and there is nothing wrong in having other focuses aside mangas, but i don't think we're going to have many new members if manga discussion gets abandoned
people come for mangas and stay for the community, but if there are no mangas no one comes (and variety is an added value)

@RhyssaFireheart could it be possible to have a forum for finished series(also for animes)? instead of having them archived out of sight?

for mangas like:

http://onemangaforum...-sengoku-youko/

http://onemangaforum...-yu-yu-hakusho/

http://onemangaforum...biscuit-hammer/

http://onemangaforum...man-wonderland/

http://onemangaforum...ic/726-veritas/

(^ which currently are all archived)

what the hell, i looked for this one once but assumed no one cared since i couldn't find it, but it already existed hidden in the archive :(   (i think i did even create a new thread for it, or maybe i confuse it with an other one)

http://onemangaforum...nejimaki-kagyu/

get it out of the archive please

archiving series threads(which aren't doubles) is really negative, it cuts off chances of discussion coming up and building up, like this one:

http://onemangaforum...zakura-quartet/

even if you want to keep the archiving going, 1 year is too little time, it should be at least 3, we're not talking about active discussion anyway, but about some random guy actively looking for a thread to bump it, which doesn't happen often, but it happens

everytime it's bumped that's a new chance for discussion to start, but by cutting off chances of bumping you're also cutting off chances of discussion starting

stop archiving unique serie threads, that's one of the reasons why there aren't new people discussing series, it removes the chance to do it, and bring out all the series which have only one thread for them

@Greg talking about archived threads, the quick filters don't seems to work to show up archived threads, i had to use google to find the archived series i was looking for (also cause i forgot about the link to the archive next to the chat link at the top, but still the filters don't work to show up archived threads from "manga discussion")

Spoiler this thing

• YoWid likes this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#444 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,773 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Oh- the show archived thread thing is an artifact from long ago before we changed systems. Use the link up top to get to what we've used the last couple years.

#445 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

archiving series threads(which aren't doubles) is really negative, it cuts off chances of discussion coming up and building up, like this one:
http://onemangaforum...zakura-quartet/
even if you want to keep the archiving going, 1 year is too little time, it should be at least 3, we're not talking about active discussion anyway, but about some random guy actively looking for a thread to bump it, which doesn't happen often, but it happens
everytime it's bumped that's a new chance for discussion to start, but by cutting off chances of bumping you're also cutting off chances of discussion starting

stop archiving unique serie threads, that's one of the reasons why there aren't new people discussing series, it removes the chance to do it, and bring out all the series which have only one thread for them

I do agree with that. 

Many manga don't generate discussions for a while because there are no scans, and sometimes they come back after a few years, most often because another scanlation team took up a title that had been dropped by another group. 

Or then, just because volumes take a while to be released. It happened to me with Blood and Steel; there used to be a thread, now archived, and I didn't bother to create a new thread last time a chapter came out... 

As for completed series, it happens indeed that some readers read completed series long after they're completed, and so they want to post in a thread, and then it generates discussion. If there is no thread, they are less likely to create a new one. 

If you agree, I could unarchive threads, @RhyssaFireheart 

#446 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,866 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

Or then, just because volumes take a while to be released. It happened to me with Blood and Steel; there used to be a thread, now archived, and I didn't bother to create a new thread last time a chapter came out...

:psyduck:

Well since you're a mod, couldn't you just unarchive it?

Is there a way to leave a placeholder of sorts for an archived thread? So, for example Blood and Steel which I read as well, if it is archived with no part 2 (or part anything), can't you (mod or admin) archive it but still leave the link in the manga thread? That way if someone wants to post in it they could just hit the Report button, request for it to be opened, and then post away. That way no one has to go searching in the Archives (if they know to even do that anyway) and threads aren't being created unnecessarily.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#447 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

:psyduck:

Well since you're a mod, couldn't you just unarchive it?

Is there a way to leave a placeholder of sorts for an archived thread? So, for example Blood and Steel which I read as well, if it is archived with no part 2 (or part anything), can't you (mod or admin) archive it but still leave the link in the manga thread? That way if someone wants to post in it they could just hit the Report button, request for it to be opened, and then post away. That way no one has to go searching in the Archives (if they know to even do that anyway) and threads aren't being created unnecessarily.

I didn't check the archive last time, I just did yesterday... And well, if a mod starts doing the contrary of what another did, it will be a mess. So better if we can all agree on something first : )

And I do like your idea, but if there's a link, we might as well leave the thread opened. I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of threads about manga on a manga forum, personally. 

#448 RhyssaFireheart

RhyssaFireheart

La Tempête

• Administrators
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationOut on the Sea of Madness...

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Eh, unarchive away.  Just know that if there's still nothing in an unarchived thread for the past year, it's likely to get popped back into the archive whenever I get motivated enough to do a sweep, which I haven't done in months because there's been no need.

You don't need a reason to unarchive any of the threads, just a request from someone or renewed interest in a series, really.

• azer_moli likes this

Waiting for the Angels of Avalon.

Coeur de Feu - a storage site for my art, writings, and ramblings.
Coeur de Feu on Etsy - Yes, a place to sell my art.

#449 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,866 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

And I do like your idea, but if there's a link, we might as well leave the thread opened. I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of threads about manga on a manga forum, personally.

Just know that if there's still nothing in an unarchived thread for the past year, it's likely to get popped back into the archive

Well that's why I suggested a link in the manga forum to a thread in the archive forum. That way, people know the thread exists and it prevents 3 threads of 'Blood and Steel - Part 1' from being created because of inactivity and people not checking the archives.

• Zeando and Chillman like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#450 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

I've unarchived threads for series that that I've wanted to discuss rather than make a new thread for, or have noticed that someone made a new thread for a series when I knew one existed previously. Lets Lagoon was a recent one. Given how there aren't really that many new discussion threads being made I don't think there is an immediate need to archive the old ones. Since finding a series discussion thread isn't that difficult at the moment.

• azer_moli likes this

#451 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

So like i think we might wanna review what haz been said and what haz been done since then. We should have some sort of OMF HEALTH status every year :D

are we going to have an other forum health status now?

informations one the main page and overall feel:

the facebook and twitter pages look abandoned
-abandoned social media pages not only don't help, but they also give a bad image, of the forum being really dead
-if there isn't anyone in charge of reposting content there, would it be better to close those pages and accounts?
(reposting, not creating, people should be lured on the forum, not away from it)

the youtube channel looks abandoned too, the last video uploaded in it is from 8 months ago

the announcement about the serie of them month and the top 100 list look as much abandoned to themselves
(given the strict archiving rules, it's surprising the thread of genshiken wasn't archived already)
-if there isn't any update, remove that section too?

in the monthly contests block
the poetry contests are still alive, WSAC and writing not so much
is it possible to have a "finished contests" subforum? or a direct and clearly visible link to it? (not a link hidden somewhere into a thread)

as we have the recent topics block, isn't there a recent posts block to be possibly enabled too?

@Greg @RhyssaFireheart can the forum index be cleaned up from all the dead branches?

Edited by Zeando, 20 February 2017 - 07:02 PM.

• ZCOverload and pyrogenic like this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#452 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

as we have the recent topics block, isn't there a recent posts block to be possibly enabled too?

there's the View New Content for that. On the right of the search bar. 

#453 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

there's the View New Content for that. On the right of the search bar. 

i know, but does a block directly visible in the main forum index like the "Recent Topics" exists for posts too?

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#454 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

We could go with my idea now.

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

HUSBANDOS :wub:  

#455 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

We could go with my idea now.

Which is?

Also no.

#456 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

Which is?

Also no.

Okay but after a few more months of little to no activity you guys will be begging me.

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

HUSBANDOS :wub:  

#457 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

i know, but does a block directly visible in the main forum index like the "Recent Topics" exists for posts too?

I suppose it should be doable... 

#458 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Also changing banner would freshen things up.

"Recently posted" (with offtopics excluded) would also attract users to active topics that they are not subscribed too. OR alarm them that unexpectedly seemingly abandoned topic has been reanimated. Or somebody needs help with something. "View new content" is too much "trouble" - yes people are that lazy.

Spring cleaning stuff.

• Zeando likes this

#459 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Also changing banner would freshen things up.

Rhyssa said a couple of times that if people send her banners, she'd change it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users