Photo

The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra (Part 14)

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Book of Avatar Series! (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Book for The Last Airbender?

1. Book 1: Water (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. Book 2: Earth (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Book 3: Fire (27 votes [65.85%])

Percentage of vote: 65.85%

Best Book for Legend of Korra?

1. Book 1: Air (1 votes [2.44%])

2. Book 2: Spirits (1 votes [2.44%])

3. Book 3: Change (30 votes [73.17%])

Percentage of vote: 73.17%

4. Book 4: Balance (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

Really? Up until Korra, I always thought it was handled pretty well. The only kids show I can think of that did it better I Steven Universe

I think the biggest problem with Korrasami was just how totally out of left field it was. I know, realistically, that's how love is sometimes (Mai and Zuko being the perfect example. Although I actually love that ship) but in something like film and television, the audience usually likes to see some build up to the romance. Instead we get a few scenes showing that they've become besties in between seasons 3 and 4, and Bryke thought that was good enough to warrant dedicating the final scene of the show to those two. As if this was anything like the big Kataang finale people had been waiting for for three seasons.

I guess. Its been months since I watched LoK so I don't recall a lot of it but they seemed to be getting a lot closer starting book 4 so I don't think it was really that left field. Then again a lot of people thought Naruto and Hinata was left field so there's that.

5.jpg

#202 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:26 PM

And I don't see why people are hating on Korra x Asami. Seems to me most of the fandom couldn't deal with Korra either being bi or pan

If you go through most forums (here and on other sites), the main issue was, it came out of nowhere. They were just friends up until the last five minutes of the finale.

I know, realistically, that's how love is sometimes (Mai and Zuko being the perfect example.

Mai and Zuko's relationship wouldn't be an example at all. Unlike Korrasami, Mai and Zuko's relationship was foreshadowed and lampshaded several times.

The earliest instance being when Ty Lee teased Mai about the possibility of her seeing Zuko again, and Mai smirks (the 'Omashu' episode). And in 'Zuko Alone' we were given a flashback to when they were kids, which showed Mai was crushing on him even then. The 'Going Home' comic was set between Books 2&3, and recounted how Azula persuaded Zuko to return to the FN with her, by setting him up on a date with Mai.

All of that was prior to Book 3, which further cemented them as a couple ('The Headband', 'The Beach', 'The Ember Island Players', 'The Boiling Rock pts.1&2', and the series finale). Azula even implied that they were knocking boots offscreen and there were two scenes that also implied it.

That's a stark contrast from Korra and Asami.

Edited by FongShwei69, 06 October 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• Ace1225 likes this

#203 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

If you go through most forums (here and on other sites), the main issue was, it came out of nowhere. They were just friends up until the last five minutes of the finale.

Mai and Zuko's relationship wouldn't be an example at all. Unlike Korrasami, Mai and Zuko's relationship was foreshadowed and lampshaded several times.

The earliest instance being when Ty Lee teased Mai about the possibility of her seeing Zuko again, and Mai smirks (the 'Omashu' episode). And in 'Zuko Alone' we were given a flashback to when they were kids, which showed Mai was crushing on him even then. The 'Going Home' comic was set between Books 2&3, and recounted how Azula persuaded Zuko to return to the FN with her, by setting him up on a date with Mai.

All of that was prior to Book 3, which further cemented them as a couple ('The Headband', 'The Beach', 'The Ember Island Players', 'The Boiling Rock pts.1&2', and the series finale). Azula even implied that they were knocking boots offscreen and there were two scenes that also implied it.

That's a stark contrast from Korra and Asami.

I actually forgot about the Return to Omashu scene :P

Well in that regard it's better than Korrasami since it was at least known that Mai had a crush on Zuko. But it still would have been nice to have had some moments between them (aside from Azula playing a prank on them when they were kids) before things turned into make-out central every time they were in the same room. I wouldn't call it a stark contrast but it's at least a romance that was handled better.

Now that I think about it, the way Mai and Zuko's relationship came to be kinda reminds me of Naruto and Hinata XD

I guess. Its been months since I watched LoK so I don't recall a lot of it but they seemed to be getting a lot closer starting book 4 so I don't think it was really that left field. Then again a lot of people thought Naruto and Hinata was left field so there's that.

Except that wasn't really out of left field. We spend the whole series, and a movie, seeing that relationship develop. The audience is there for literally every step....except for their children's conception (and honestly...I kinda wish we could have seen that. Those two going at it sounds like the funniest, most awkward, thing on the planet  :laugh:)

Even if it was one sided up until the movie came along and Naruto finally got a clue. It was a poorly handled romance but not because it was random like Korrasami. Oh no. NaruHina's problems run waaaay deeper than that. But that's a story for another thread :lolxg: (we can at least take solace in the fact that it's not as bad as Sakura and Sasuke)

#204 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Romance is the weakest aspect of this show honestly

Can't agree. Honestly I thought Aang and Katara was handled wonderfully. Sokka and Yue and Sokka and Suki were also both pretty good in my opinion. Zuko and Mai was the weakest, but also wasn't bad, that's just in comparison to the other three. Very little about any of them seemed forced and the writers really seemed to respect the young ages of all these characters, so you didn't have a bunch of teens acting like they were in their 30s.

Really? Up until Korra, I always thought it was handled pretty well. The only kids show I can think of that did it better I Steven Universe

I think the biggest problem with Korrasami was just how totally out of left field it was. I know, realistically, that's how love is sometimes (Mai and Zuko being the perfect example. Although I actually love that ship) but in something like film and television, the audience usually likes to see some build up to the romance. Instead we get a few scenes showing that they've become besties in between seasons 3 and 4, and Bryke thought that was good enough to warrant dedicating the final scene of the show to those two. As if this was anything like the big Kataang finale people had been waiting for for three seasons.

This, this, and this again. You've got them being against one another in Season 1, sort of becoming friends in Season 2, friends and allies throughout Season 3, then a timeskip where they don't see each other and communicate through letters. Then they get together towards the end of the show. That romantic relationship comes off like a last minute thing that the writers went for because so many fans were shipping them. There really wasn't anything to actually imply romance beforehand. You just had two women acting like regular old friends. I thought that was a pretty weak relationship compared to all the others were got in this franchise.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#205 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,287 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

There were a few clues, but from I can vaguely remember, they were.... "well hidden".

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#206 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

I just finished watching this, 'cuz I saw it in my playlist.

While I don't necessarily agree with all points made, I did find myself agreeing with most of it; including the overall assessment and final verdict.

Also, after rewatching the clips of both their showings, it's clear that it's one of the closest matchups you'll get in any series. And it reminds me of one of the main reasons why I like the 'Avatar-verse': there are no power levels. A fact which Bryke noted themselves when someone asked who would win between Kuvira or Toph. Meaning, any matchup is potentially anyone's game. Victory depends more on the combatants skill, resourcefulness, and just plain opportunity.

Anyhoo, I figured I'd go ahead and post it and see what the rest of you think.

Zuko and Mai was the weakest, but also wasn't bad, that's just in comparison to the other three.

Mai and Zuko's was my favorite out of the main three, because it was the most realistic pairing. It was like actually watching a couple of teenagers.

#207 Desu257

Desu257

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

Whatever happened to Azula anyways?

#208 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

No idea. The last set of graphic novels I have is 'The Search' and, at the end of that one, she ran off. :shrug:

#209 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

In the latest GN's based on TLAB, "Smoke and Shadow".

She and a band of other women (she really prefers working with women a lot huh? ... kinda says something in a way. lol), taken up guises of Kemurikage (some Spirit's told in children's tales within the FN), to create imbalance in the FN and in Zuko. Apparently she's now wanting to turn Zuko into more like her an Ozai, or something like that. But anyways, she failed in a way, and was last seen vanishing off with her band of ladies. 

Oh right. An she's no longer crazy anymore. So she's back to her smug an stylistically cunning evil self.

Edited by Narubi, 06 October 2016 - 05:31 PM.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#210 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

So it looks like 

Azula > Sokka

Had she not gone crazy she would have beaten him in the Agni Kai. 

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#211 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

So it looks like 

Azula > Sokka

Indeed. Sokka would have lost that duel for sure.

• ddboy102 and Blue22 like this

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#212 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

So it looks like 

Azula > Sokka

Eh .... Think you mean "Zuko" there DD. ;)

An her beating him if she didn't lose her sanity, was obviously stated in the show by Iroh himself, before Zuko and Katara left for the Fire Nation.

Edited by Narubi, 30 October 2016 - 04:15 PM.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#213 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

lol I meant Zuko and it looks like she plans to turn him into the brutal dictator she wanted be. 

That or she could take a hostage and force him to listen to her.

should be fun to watch.

And Where did her helpers come from?

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#214 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

15380272_10209807137848659_5948346477342

Well then.

• Tokoya, Darthwin and KUROkami like this

#215 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Maaan after reading some comments I realized it's been actually so long I can't remember any names other than Aang, Korra, Zuko and Toph. Guess I have to do a rerun for this series since it wad awesome

17.jpg

#216 Magic Man

Magic Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

In the latest GN's based on TLAB, "Smoke and Shadow".

She and a band of other women (she really prefers working with women a lot huh? ... kinda says something in a way. lol), taken up guises of Kemurikage (some Spirit's told in children's tales within the FN), to create imbalance in the FN and in Zuko. Apparently she's now wanting to turn Zuko into more like her an Ozai, or something like that. But anyways, she failed in a way, and was last seen vanishing off with her band of ladies. 

Oh right. An she's no longer crazy anymore. So she's back to her smug an stylistically cunning evil self.

I don't know if she is back to her evil ways, She cares for Zuko and it trying to help him, but in a twisted messed up kind of way, she is kind of anti hero or anti villain now, she is pretty much like Sasuke in part 2 / Shippuden, or another comparison she is like most of the Korra's villains, the end goal is good, but the methods is just messed up.

What I am looking forward to is the Korra comics. I hope we get to fianlly see the Fire Nation and more of Zuko's daughter and her daughter who was cut from the series.

Edited by Magic Man, 15 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#217 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,205 posts
  • LocationVigrid

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:37 AM

There's a bunch of gifs of disney movies with the characters edited to look like they're bending:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0680-007%20-%20Copy_zpsyjmuhkna.png

#218 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

So Netflix is making a Live Action Avatar series... *gulp*

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#219 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

I'm more optimistic about the Netflix one since Mike and Bryan are working on it.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#220 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:57 AM

The "anime" was perfect.
I don't want more lame adaptations.
Between bad acting, poor plot, slow pacing and cheap cgi they will nail one for sure.
Look at the marvel Netflix ones...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users