• Please log in to reply
1550 replies to this topic

#1541 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

PRIMAL on Adult Swim. If you ain't watching this then start doing it RIGHT NOW! DVR or stay up it doesn't matter. Genndy once again shows what real story telling is like. Spear(the Caveman) and T. Rex are really sympathetic characters. Genndy doesn't pull any punches. We're talking final season of Samurai Jack level of violence. However the violence in PRIMAL is not like MIster PIckles or Super Jail in that the violence is gratuitous or over the top. The violence is necessary in only what is needed. For example Spear took a large rock and bashed the knee of an enemy dinosaur. There was a little bit of blood and the leg/knee was clearly broken however the leg did not magically fly off when struck like it would have in most other Adult Swim Original Cartoons.

If anything the people at Adult Swim/Williams Street should be taking notes on how to do an animated series for adults/mature audiences. In other words a lot of viewers like myself want more PRIMAL type series instead of. . .*sigh* Squidbillies. . .or to be even more blunt - STOP WITH THE FRICKIN' DUMPSTER FIRE SERIES!

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#1542 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:26 AM

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#1543 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:58 AM

Watchmen

If the last two episodes stick the landing, this will be the best superhero show ever to hit the screen.My reaction to the first 4 episodes was good but not great but after episode 5 I consider it to be must watch television,would elaborate after the season has finished.

See

A show to pass the time,can get extremely goofy considering the premise.

Edited by Professor, 02 December 2019 - 08:02 AM.

• Tokoya likes this

#1544 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

The Witcher

Never read the books nor am I well versed in any of the Witcher lore but I enjoyed it,there were some issues with the pacing( too fast) also the past timeline should have been integrated more constructively, hopfully the pacing issues are corrected in Season 2 .I understand why the response to the show from critics have been lukewarm though but the general audience tend to overlook technical faults  and it does not help that reviews can be based on  1-2 episodes as opposed to the entire season.Besides that the more fantasy shows on television the better so I hope it improves.

• Tokoya and Sasuke K like this

#1545 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

As the year comes to an end,time for the top 10 of the year. Chernobyl is the undisputed number 1 show for me this year. The rest are not in any order.

Chernobyl

When They See US

Watchmen

The Boys

The Expanse 

Succession 

Mindhunter 

What We Do in the Shadows

Unbelievable

Doom Patrol

Edited by Professor, 24 December 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#1546 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

As the year comes to an end,time for the top 10 of the year. Chernobyl is the undisputed number 1 show for me this year. The rest are not in any order.

Chernobyl
When They See US
Watchmen
The Boys
The Expanse
Succession
Mindhunter
What We Do in the Shadows
Unbelievable
Doom Patrol

I didnt know that you were a fan of The Boys....That's pretty lit lol

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#1547 Godpachi

Godpachi

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationFangirlin' anywhere & everywhere

User's Awards

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:41 PM

I've never read the books or played the games, but I genuinely loved Netflix's adaptation of The Witcher. I think it was by episode 3 that I realized the timeline differences and was like, "Wait. Oh.  :psyduck: "

Once I understood that, it was smooth sailing. I might even dabble in the books or the games while I wait for season 2. We'll see. 

RIP Satan

1HIflq7.png

Currently At War With Insane Soul

#1548 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

I've never read the books or played the games, but I genuinely loved Netflix's adaptation of The Witcher. I think it was by episode 3 that I realized the timeline differences and was like, "Wait. Oh. :psyduck: "

Once I understood that, it was smooth sailing. I might even dabble in the books or the games while I wait for season 2. We'll see.

Same on all accounts
  • Godpachi and Sasuke K like this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#1549 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

My List in no Order

1) Watchmen

2) The Boys

3) The Witcher

4) The Mandolorian 

5) Doom Patrol

6) Shameless

What didn't make the list.

GOT:  You know why

1) Unrealistic character motives: Arya spending 4 epsiodes claiming the Starrks should stick together only for her to get on a horse and try to kill Cersei and then leave her home for good.

2) Changing it from its roots: GOT was never a hardcore action series, it was 4 houses fighting for power using schemes.

3) Using subversion for the sake of subversion. It should be there for the sake of the plot, not because having Jon snow who is thought of as the MC is predictable and you want to subvert using a character who is also billed as a hero.

4) Character arcs being shilled: Jamie, Arya, Jon, Dany

sUP3nUt.jpg?1

“I’m a slow learner, it’s true. But I learn. "

#1550 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

My 10 favorite shows from last year were:

The Umbrella Academy
Mr. Robot S4
Watchmen
The Boys
Chernobyl
Doom Patrol
The Witcher
The Mandalorian
Sex Education
Stranger Things S3

Honourable mentions: Arrow S8, Mindhunter S2 and Cobra Kai S2 (I also REALLY liked Deadly Class too)

Edited by Tokoya, 02 January 2020 - 03:18 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#1551 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationIn my fantasies.

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:06 AM

The Witcher

Never read the books nor am I well versed in any of the Witcher lore but I enjoyed it,there were some issues with the pacing( too fast) also the past timeline should have been integrated more constructively, hopfully the pacing issues are corrected in Season 2 .I understand why the response to the show from critics have been lukewarm though but the general audience tend to overlook technical faults  and it does not help that reviews can be based on  1-2 episodes as opposed to the entire season.Besides that the more fantasy shows on television the better so I hope it improves.

There's not much to comment other than that 50% positive and negative reviews are spot on. I'm impressed with Cavill's performance as Garalt. Even his voice/monotones sounds just likes CD-PR (CD Projekts Red) voice over (Doug Cockle) just sends chills down my spine as a gamer fan. Not too surprise with the pacing and timeline because the books are like that too. 

I haven't completed the books series, but I was very disappointing with The Witcher Medallion (the wolf head) did not come alive (vibrating and cloaked with mana) as it was seen in CD-PR version when you played the video games and read the Darkhorse comics spinoffs. Unless my eyes are blind lol. The Medallion comes alive when Garalt's life is in danger or when monster and creature lurks near hims. I hope this is not just a CD-PR insertion.

I was was very surprise that Triss Merigold was never the original female lead in the canon (books). Anyways looking forward to S2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users