Photo

Discussion Thread for OMF's Top 100 Manga/Anime List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
515 replies to this topic

#1 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Welcome to the Discussion Thread for OMF's Top 100 Manga/Anime List! 

Recently, the idea that OMF should have its very own Top 100 Manga/Anime List came up in the Suggestions Subforum, and I believe this is an idea worth carrying out. Before we can begin compiling such a list, however, we need to consider what shape these lists are going to take and get all the details sorted out. In other words, this discussion thread is where we figure out the logistics, so feel free to submit your input and ideas. (This is not a thread for suggesting entries. That will come later.)

To start things off, there are a couple of things I think we need to consider:

• Obviously, we should figure out how entries earn a place in the lists after being suggested. Ought we have a rating system, a discussion thread, etc.?
  • Since not everyone is likely to have read/watched everything, it might be a good idea to find a way to give certain entries more visibility. On that note, the shiny new Clubhouse hosted by my other self could be helpful.
  • Also, it might be ideal (depending on how we choose to make this list) to do it in a series of steps. (Starting with a Top 10, then a Top 20, so on.)

Thoughts?

Edited by Tale, 15 January 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

I think it's a great idea. :D

Firstly though, we have to make clear that this list isn't supposed to be anything near an "objective" ranking system. The most we could probably get to would be a "popular" ranking system. A handy demographic look and a quick recommendation tool, as well as, of course, something fun to do.

Secondly, are we really making a single list of 100 manga/anime or do we break that up into different Top 10/20 categories? I have reservations about doing the first... I was even going to say that it was unfeasible, but then I didn't really know that. So I say hey maybe we can pull it off if we really want to- after all it would be really cool to have one big list of 100 and say "There, there on that wall is OMF's 100." But know that it would be a lot harder than splitting up the two mediums into different categories with less items on list.

Thirdly, the methodology. We're going to have to use some kind of grading system. Just discussion won't cut it since we're going to, at the end of the day, have single concrete conclusions - and the easiest, quickest and most sure way to do that that could still be said to represent OMF is to have numbers (the alternative is to have some panel decide, but well, the downsides are rather obvious.. besides this isn't supposed to be anything near objective anyway). Not to say we can't have discussions (in fact that's part of the point), only it should be discussion under the shadow of the grading system (I'm thinking like the OMCB, where although it's a popularity vote/contest, discussion can still happen). Depending on what list you want to make ofcourse, but we'll talk about the details later.

Fourthly, organization. Is this going to have a separate subforum like the OMCBs? WHo are going to manage it? What are the formats for submission? Time table? etc.

That's all that comes to mind for now that I think is worthy of discussion.

Edited by Lone_ant, 15 January 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#3 soccerislife

soccerislife

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

This is just me, but I like the idea of one member recommending 2(Assuming we have 50 members that participate in which case 5 for 25 members) they believe could belong in the top 100. Once a manga is recommended, no others can recommend said manga. At least this way, it'll likely chance have more variety instead of everyone probably saying the same or even multiple at that. This of course would go on until we have 100 mangas. This won't be the top 100 necessarily, but I think it'd be a good basis for the list.  

KUn5clI.jpg

Too lazy to change the sig. Found the avatar too hilarious to pass up though. xD

#4 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I second the idea of breaking down into categories rather than having one mega list.
We do run into the danger of whether or not we allow a series to be part of more than one category and the good old wars of which series belong to what.

When I hosted a similar event long-long time ago that no one remembers (OM Reader's Choice awards) it was a nomination system followed by voting, but the participation rate wasn't that high and a series rarely needed more than 10 votes to get first place.
I'd say prioritize a method that will be "fun" and entertaining to participate rather than a method that makes more sense in creating a list. The goal should be for the people to have fun, not to form a good list.

Edited by ruggia, 15 January 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#5 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

100 is a lot, but could we go with polls giving ratings from 1 to 10 to a few manga for each thread? 

Like, for the first thread (though it'd be better to separate them to be sure people would look at more threads, always a popular one and some not as famous ones), there would be Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, and OMFers would rate it from 1 to 10 with also an option not to vote for the ones we don't read (N/A / I don't know / etc.)

The discussion would make people argue for which rating to give for example. 

Problem is that it would take a loooooong time to go up to 100 titles xD Though we could make 5 threads a week for example… That'd mean 15 titles rated in one week. Or maybe that's actually too much XD. 

And then, of course, someone would give the average rating for the manga (no matter how many members voted for an actual rating) and we could rank them like that. 

If people are motivated, we could also take into account the number of people who voted to make a popularity list and then mix both list to give an average ranking for each title. 

That way, we wouldn't get unknown series for the first places… 

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,386 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

If you want to do a list in terms of objectivity then I think that a top 100 would be hard to do.....A popularity list would be easier because there are a lot of underrated manga out there that not a lot of people (Including myself) have read

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 Relinquisher

Relinquisher

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

I think the only real way to do it is to do it like we do the OMCB, to the effect of we all nominate things and then compile it together into a list.

If we were to just discuss it then we would never get anywhere, it would just be, assumingly you @Tale deciding on things after lots of pages. So id think asking everyone to make a top 10/15/20 and then having some kind of process to ranking everything based on that. Like if you rank something as #1 then its worth 20 points, if something is #20 its worth 1 point, and then just tally everything and figure it out from that.

But thats kinda simple, so maybe we start with that and then the whole fun will be keeping the thread open and if people can unanimously agree to move things up or down that could happen and when new entries hit everyone can debate its place, otherwise its just taking polls over and over.

Also to me there is a difference between my "Favorite" manga and my "Best" manga. Favorite is just the ones i like the most and Best are ones i feel are done the best, which would depend on the individuals criteria. Those two might be the same or interchangeable for some people, but I feel like i wouldnt be alone on that idea.

[Check out the Battle Contest] [] Battle Contest #5: Aokiji VS Fujitora

treeBW.png

Made by Relinquisher 

Spoiler Very Strange Quotes from OMF

#8 kame d. kaze

kame d. kaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

I think we should nominate manga's based on what they excel at and then have the members vote. Have open discussions. The list shouldn't be 1-100 but manga's that are great at a specific category.

#9 Baka-Dynasty

Baka-Dynasty

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

I love this idea tho people change. manga change some get better some get boring (cough cough bleach). So hum yeah having a top 100 list is a good thing but the list should be updated every now and then.

-Now heres the trick question are you gonna do top 100 manga and anime list or a top 100 anime and a top 100 manga list.

Cuz while some manga were great, the anime was trash and vice versa.I think it would be better to have a top for anime and one for mangas.

!Banana head fart man !

Selena_gomez_sig_by_litlemusa.jpg

*Knowledge can never replace friendship, i prefer to be an idiot*

Come check out my video room thread :3

http://onemangaforum...z-video-room-3/

Spoiler

#10 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Okay, my thoughts after reading all of this.

I'm seeing some consternation about the size of the list and I do agree that 100 entries are a lot. Two ways have been suggested for dealing with this:

• Some of you have recommended we break this down into different Top 10 categories (I'm assuming genre or other qualities?). We could do that.
  • We could also just ignore the number "100" and go with a Top 10 or 20 list, then repeating whatever we do for the next ten until we run out of nominations.  

(We could decide this with a poll.)

I agree that we need some way of voting nominations in. Discussion alone won't cut it and it shouldn't be left to a small number of people to decide. That could easily be done with polls or a rating system like Relinquisher suggested. But, as you guys have been saying, this needs to be fun and just posting poll after poll can be a bit boring.

So, how about this:

• We could make a thread and keep it open for a certain period of time. During that time, people will use that thread to agree on a list (for example, of ten manga). They do this by proposing their own lists or changing other people's lists. Then, we can either pick the list that gets "seconded" the most or just pick the manga which appear most frequently in people's lists, and put those in a poll, so people can rank them. (This can work with a mega list or different categories, depending on what we choose to do.)

Also, we could have a separate thread that works in a similar way after the lists are done, so they can be changed later on, as Baka-Dynasty said. 

-Now heres the trick question are you gonna do top 100 manga and anime list or a top 100 anime and a top 100 manga list.

Cuz while some manga were great, the anime was trash and vice versa.I think it would be better to have a top for anime and one for mangas.

The manga and anime lists should be separate. I'm not saying the should be done at the same time or anything or that we to one if we do the other. Depends on what people want.

Edited by Tale, 16 January 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#11 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

I've been thinking about your mention of the Clubhouse in the original post. It is, in essence, a recommendations forum. A top 100 manga list is, in essence, a way of discovering series (who hasn't used IMDb's top 250 to find a movie for a lazy sunday arvo). And of course the recommendations here in Otaku are pinned for a reason, they are active and useful.

Maybe it'd be worth talking about something of a unified recommendations sub in the clubhouse? For housing the Top100 thread(s) and maybe some other recommendations threads. Anyways, where to put the top100 lists is another matter...

IMDb's top 250 is determined by a mix between number of votes cast and how high those votes are.

Open an thread for nominations only (no discussion), keep the thread open indefinitely, update the top100 list (a seperate, locked thread) as new nominations are made.

users nominate 5 series by posting a list of their top 5. #1 gets 5 stars/ #2 gets 4 stars/ #3 gets 3 stars/ #4 gets 2 stars/ #5 gets 1 star. I think this is a pretty simple, effective way of creating a makeshift star system (reminiscent of IMDb's) 

The other factor is number of votes cast. 1 user placing a series as their #1 should not equal 5 users placing a series as their #5.

So we times(x) the number of nominations a series receives with the total 'stars' that series is awarded. A basic version being:

Spoiler

This way 5 users placing a series as their #5 (1+1+1+1+1=5starts, x 5nominations = 25)

is worth more than 1 user placing a series as their #1 (5=5stars, x 1nomination=5)

This a pretty easy way of keeping the top100 updated, its also fair as it doesn't rely on solely nominations or votes, its accurate and its takes very little effort to organize the top100 from the nominations.

If we want more accurate rankings, ask for top 10 lists.

3 threads*

OneManga's Top 100 Manga (locked)

OneManga's Top 100 Manga Nominations (no discussion)

OneManga's Top 100 Manga Discussion (for general discussion n stuff)

Edited by hubris, 24 January 2015 - 11:20 PM.

signature under construction

#12 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

That feels a bit too complex for a scoring system. An easy way would to do it as Shounen Jump does.

Everyone nominates 5 or 10 manga. No ranking or anything. Each time a series is mentioned it gets one vote. The tallyed votes add up to the ranking. Say Gintama was mentioned at number five 50 times and Boku no Hero Academia was mentioned 45 times at number 1. But since ranking means nothing, only the amount of nominations, it means that Gintama scores above BnHA with 50 to 45. Easy, simple way to collate the votes, with no hard math.

For example my top ten (Ten I think, because it gives us a bigger sample rate)

BnHA

Gintama

Kubera

One Piece

Skip Beat!

Last Game

UQ Holder

Waratte! Sotomura-san

Shinozaki-san Ki o Ota Shika ni!

Hinamatsuri

I mean, if we only did five, I'd have to think, which one of these would I choose above the other? And yes, I reccomend every one of these, go read them

Edited by Nyanko, 24 January 2015 - 10:54 PM.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#13 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

That feels a bit too complex for a scoring system. An easy way would to do it as Shounen Jump does.
Everyone nominates 5 or 10 manga. No ranking or anything. Each time a series is mentioned it gets one vote. The tallyed votes add up to the ranking. Say Gintama was mentioned at number five 50 times and Boku no Hero Academia was mentioned 45 times at number 1. But since ranking means nothing, only the amount of nominations, it means that Gintama scores above BnHA with 50 to 45. Easy, simple way to collate the votes, with no hard math.

BnHA
Gintama
Kubera
One Piece
Skip Beat!
Last Game
UQ Holder
Waratte! Sotomura-san
Hinamatsuri

I mean, if we only did five, I'd have to think, which one of these would I choose above the other? And yes, I reccomend every one of these, go read them

I do like this idea. Something like a weekly/monthly ToC list would be cool

#14 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

I do like this idea. Something like a weekly/monthly ToC list would be cool

Plus it would be easy on @Tale  since I assume he will be the one running this gig to put together the results. Set up a thread, set a deadline, and calculate the results. 

Edited by Nyanko, 24 January 2015 - 11:27 PM.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#15 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Setup like a psudo-magazine where we axe the low performing ones out of the list and bring in new ones to see how they do.

Throw in OP/Bleach/FT in there and setup a flame war that will put OMF into shambles....

Yup this would be fun...

And instead of always picking on Togashi for the hiatus on HxH, we can blame scanlators for the series.... lol

Edited by ruggia, 24 January 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#16 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

BnHA
Gintama
Kubera
One Piece
Skip Beat!
Last Game
UQ Holder
Waratte! Sotomura-san
Hinamatsuri

I like this idea. It doesn't take itself too seriously as a rating system, it's easy to understand for everybody, and easy to compile.

#17 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

"Feels" complex, but really isn't. I think we can handle some simple adding and multiplying. It'd take 5 minutes to set up an Excel spreadsheet that does all the maths for us.

Tallying nominations is easy and simple. But inaccurate and uninvolved. Fun has to be a factor, and I don't think asking users to list 10 series they've read is much fun, considering some users haven't even read 10 series.

#18 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

I like this idea. It doesn't take itself too seriously as a rating system, it's easy to understand for everybody, and easy to compile.

Not everyone has to understand how the 1 - 100 ranks are determined.

All the forum needs to know is that they give their top 5 mangas ranked 1 - 5, and using the ancient wizard art call 'mathematics' those 1 - 5 ranks are converted into 1 - 100 ranks.

#19 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:25 AM

I also support Nyanko´s idea, only that i would increase it to top 20 to allow even more diversity

qhz8b56l.png

#20 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,407 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

I also support Nyanko´s idea, only that i would increase it to top 20 to allow even more diversity

And I still haven't made up my mind for my top20. Haizzz...

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua