• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Mawaru Penguindrum!

ANN | MAL

30238l.jpg

Synopsis:
Once you make a decision, does the universe conspire to make it happen? Is destiny a matter of chance, a matter of choice or the complex outcome of thousands of warring strands of fate? All twins Kanba and Shoma know is that when their terminally ill sister Himari collapses at the aquarium, her death is somehow temporarily reversed by the penguin hat that she had asked for. It's a provisional resurrection, however, and it comes at a price: to keep Himari alive they need to find the mysterious Penguin Drum. In order to do that, they must first find the links to a complex interlocking chain of riddles that has wrapped around their entire existence, and unravel the knots that tie them to mystifying diary and a baffling string of strangers and semi-acquaintances who all have their own secrets, agendas and "survival strategies." And in order for Himari to live, someone else's chosen destiny will have to change. It's a story of love, fate, life, death... and Penguins!

(Source: Sentai Filmworks)

Why You Should Watch This:

Want some bizarre slice-of-life comedy with some twisted sprinkles of romance and mystery?

This one-of-a-kind series is really all about symbolism and the atmosphere that are present in the storytelling. With its seemingly normal characters turning out to be not-so-normal at every turn, it is just a really fun series to immense yourself into. I honestly have a hard time trying to pinpoint what made this series standout above others, because in plain sight, none of the standard aspects of the series like characters, plot, setting, etc are particularly special. But the way everything got mixed in together, along with superb storytelling made this series really one of a kind.

And lastly, how can you not be curious about spinning penguins with drums?

#2 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationNyah

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Amazing series. Should be counted as one of the masterpieces of early 21st century Anime. If you haven't watched it, you should. If you didn't understand it, you have to watch it again! The last two episodes had me in non-stop tears... paticularly the end!

Edited by Nyanko, 28 January 2015 - 08:34 PM.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#3 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

Amazing series. Should be counted as one of the masterpieces of early 21st century Anime. If you haven't watched it, you should. If you didn't understand it, you have to watch it again! The last two episodes had me in non-stop tears... paticularly the end!

While I loved penguins as a child, I categorically refused to watch this.

ilhd1c.jpg

#4 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Not related to the thread but at first I thought categorically is adverb related in meaning to categorize/category :xD:  but then...damn language

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#5 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

B-b-but penguins....drums....spinning!

#6 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:37 AM

B-b-but penguins....drums....spinning!

Yeah, but that doesn't make up for strangeness.  Sorry, Ruggia.

ilhd1c.jpg

#7 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • LocationNyah

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, but that doesn't make up for strangeness.  Sorry, Ruggia.

I thought that too at first... but I persisted and watched it through to the end; and it was amazingly good.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January

#8 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Honestly, it was really fun at first, but somewhere around the second half, it lost me. It just got way too heavy on the metaphors and symbolism. Pretty good otherwise, in my humble opinion.

samisig.jpg

#9 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Ikuhara's flaw is that you have to know and want what you're getting yourself into. It's not like Mushishi or Sora no Woto where you can put it on at any time and enjoy them.

Although even Mushishi has a 'proper' way to watch, imo. But that's for a different thread.

#10 nya

nya

Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

This anime (during it's initial run back in 2011) was extremely fun due to trying to figure out what was important, what was a reference, reference to what, along with just as confused people.  And trying to make sense of out the imagery and dialogue along the way. I remember Ikuhara made a remark about the (spinning) penguindrum being a washing machine during a critical part in the series. Honestly, that was highly unlikely to be true, but it would not have surprised us if it was. 

#11 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

Watching this. WTF Shouma? Borrowing someone's agenda is like totally normal? Couldn't cook up a good reason either... If this is genuine he's stupid beyond curing...

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users