#1 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Discuss the future, present, and, if you are nostalgic, past of the Contest Forum here.

Is there a desperate need for a Sculpting Contest?

Should we really have the same reward icon for Poetry and Short Story contests?

How can it be art if it's hidden in spoiler tags?

And why don't I ever win one of these rigged jokes of polls?

Here is the place to discuss these questions and many more!

Edited by Oben, 15 February 2015 - 06:46 PM.

• hubris likes this

#2 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

So is this a suggestions thread? I'm going to pretend it is. 

- Not much use of those two pinned threads we currently have. Not cheating is intuitive, and the contest winners/ prizes thread hasn't seen any use for a year. 

- there's not point pinning entry/ voting threads unless every entry/ voting thread is pinned. As it stands they sometimes get pinned, and sometimes don't. I reckon it'd be neater to just pin the [Discussion] threads and have the entry/ voting threads get shuffled around down here. 

- I'd like to see more contests. Not sculpting, but a return of the photography and art contests would be nice. Maybe also a prose poetry contest. We might not have the activity sustain those contests right now, but I got a few ideas as to how we could get the activity to sustain them. I'll post those ideas in a bit.

And yes, we should have different award icon's for the Poetry and Short story contests.

signature under construction

#3 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

So is this a suggestions thread? I'm going to pretend it is. 

- Not much use of those two pinned threads we currently have. Not cheating is intuitive, and the contest winners/ prizes thread hasn't seen any use for a year. 

- there's not point pinning entry/ voting threads unless every entry/ voting thread is pinned. As it stands they sometimes get pinned, and sometimes don't. I reckon it'd be neater to just pin the [Discussion] threads and have the entry/ voting threads get shuffled around down here. 

- I'd like to see more contests. Not sculpting, but a return of the photography and art contests would be nice. Maybe also a prose poetry contest. We might not have the activity sustain those contests right now, but I got a few ideas as to how we could get the activity to sustain them. I'll post those ideas in a bit.

And yes, we should have different award icon's for the Poetry and Short story contests.

They just contains lists. And the lists are updated after every contest... at least Satoshi and I do.

Edited by Oben, 15 February 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#4 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,393 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

The winners thread is super messy. I think we should just scrap the one we have and recompile it into a locked, stickied new thread. Oben, Satoshi, and myself can make a single post where we track the winners instead of having these weird splits.

Or better yet, just scrap the entire thing altogether and forget about it because, IMO, it's useless.

MAKE | TOTAL | DESTROY

Leu14ht.gif

#5 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

They just contains lists. And the lists are updated after every contest... at least Satoshi and I do.

my mistake, personally I've never had any reason to go in there, which is zc's point I suppose.
Also it certainly doesn't help the forum make a good first impression. I mean the first thread anyone sees when they come in here hasn't been posted in since march last year.

I suppose it's a handy resource to have though, just as a place where all the themes and winners are recorded. Pretty far from essential, but handy. I'm not sure it needs its own thread, but I also don't think we should do away with it completely.

could create new discussion threads for each of the contests, and have the winners/ themes list in the original post?

At the very least it needs a clean up. Having a complied, locked thread would be neater. Could combine forum rules into that, have a 'Rules and Contest Cache' thread?

#6 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,393 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Also, @hubris and @Velvetbrush had differing yet similar ideas for event contests. One-off contests like designs for hubris' youtube channel or velvet's poster idea that we could do once in a while. Keep it fresh.

MAKE | TOTAL | DESTROY

Leu14ht.gif

#7 Red Opus

Red Opus

Ghost

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

User's Awards

5    3   

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

A request contest would be nice. Someone would request something, we would
All make something this person would like, and the person picks to winner / his got counts for
10% of the total posts and we can have a poll and shit.

This came to mind cuz I wont be near my laptop for a while >_>
  • ZCOverload likes this

#8 Satoshi

Satoshi

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBerk

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:50 PM

I do agree that the Contest Winners thread is a bit disorganized, but I do kinda like having it there. Those whose names are there worked hard to earn a spot there and they do deserve recognition (because, honestly, it's more work to click the awards link at the top of the forum and I'm sure most don't do that).

As Oben said, I do make it a part to update the winners list for the Short Story Contest. However, the thread looks as though it hasn't been updated in forever because new posts aren't made to the thread--only edits--and that won't change unless a new contest were to begin (which I don't see happening). 

Speaking of starting new contests, may I express my sadness for the now-dead Photography Contest. I was cleaning off my camera recently and found several pictures I'd taken for past themes of the contest. I know that the interest in that contest declined steeply toward the end, but it was still fun to enter every now and then.

Edited by Satoshi, 15 February 2015 - 10:51 PM.

HTTYD2Satoshi_zpse95b34d5.jpg

"What d'ya think, Bud? You wanna give this a shot?"

"Toothless...it'll be fine."

Wanna know more about me? Come check out my Question Time thread! 

Spoiler Fun SoT Conversations...and Probably More Eventually

Current sig image made by: ME

#9 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

I do agree that the Contest Winners thread is a bit disorganized, but I do kinda like having it there. Those whose names are there worked hard to earn a spot there and they do deserve recognition (because, honestly, it's more work to click the awards link at the top of the forum and I'm sure most don't do that).

Winners do have their "user awards" displayed under their avatar

As Oben said, I do make it a part to update the winners list for the Short Story Contest. However, the thread looks as though it hasn't been updated in forever because new posts aren't made to the thread--only edits--and that won't change unless a new contest were to begin (which I don't see happening).

Me either, at east not in the immediate future, but I think its something we should aim for in the long term (maybe in a couple of months). I think its important to discuss how we can get more contests up, and active.

#10 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,393 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

A request contest would be nice. Someone would request something, we would
All make something this person would like, and the person picks to winner / his got counts for
10% of the total posts and we can have a poll and shit.

This came to mind cuz I wont be near my laptop for a while >_>

That's a great idea but unfortunately it's also irregularly timed since it'd depend on whenever someone wants to put in a request.

MAKE | TOTAL | DESTROY

Leu14ht.gif

#11 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:05 AM

@ZCOverload In relation to a new, locked Contest Winners/ themes thread, is it possible to edit comments posted in a locked thread? I was thinking the first post could be rules, you oben and satoshi each post a comment with the winners/ themes, we lock the thread and (if possible) edit those comments as need be? edit: nevermind, apparently we can't edit comments in a locked thread :(

Edited by hubris, 16 February 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#12 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,393 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

Yeah you can edit posts in locked threads.

MAKE | TOTAL | DESTROY

Leu14ht.gif

#13 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:04 AM

The winners thread is super messy. I think we should just scrap the one we have and recompile it into a locked, stickied new thread. Oben, Satoshi, and myself can make a single post where we track the winners instead of having these weird splits.

Or better yet, just scrap the entire thing altogether and forget about it because, IMO, it's useless.

I get asked virtually all the time "Why is there no list of previous winners and themes?!?".

It's necessary.

It just needs to be more obvious :lol:

And less messy, I agree with that.

#14 hubris

hubris

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

I could do up a draft for a new Contest themes and winners thread in a few days, post it here for us to discuss. If we are all in agreement that it's messy and needs a revamp?

Also, I think something we could do for the contest forum as a whole is to link it more with the art forum.

There are a lot more artists than there are contest participants, so trying to attract more users from the art forum seems intuitive to me. As for how we could do that. I have 2 ideas, both of which need development. 

Firstly, we could do "feature artists", whereby the winners of contests get their art thread pinned until the winner of the following contest is decided. This may act as an extra incentive for artists to submit in contests. And also may encourage users who do plenty of poetry/ wsac/ shorts for contests, but don't have an art thread to create an art thread. 

Secondly, we could create "workshop" threads in the art and writing forums. Recently I did a poetry course at uni, and one of the most helpful (and enjoyable) parts of the course was bringing a half finished poem to class for feedback (or to be "workshopped"). So basically these workshop threads would be pinned, and be specifically for posting unfinished works for critique and feedback. This could be linked to the contest forum by encouraging users to head over there before posting submitting their entries.

So yeah, anyone got any ideas, for how to bridge the art and contest forums a bit?

• YoWid likes this

#15 Yamagician

Yamagician

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

There use to be a photography contest? My camera and I are ready! 

Are questions okay here? I'll ask 'em anyways. 

The contests are definitely lacking, which begs me to ask the question- have we given up on them? 
I for one would love to see a photography contest, writer prompt contest, co-op contests, etc. . . 

Adding more incentive for people to join may help, but I'm not sure how the people here work. Or what they react to. 

Are Oben, Satoshi, and ZCOverload the only, er.., keepers of the contests? How does one get involved in that? (besides this thread) 

I've noticed that one or more of the keepers get busy quite often, perhaps more keepers or substitute keepers might be needed? 

#16 daoko

daoko

Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

I don't think the activity is there to broaden the subjects of contests. There are just not enough participants.

And believe me, you don't want to become a contest host - it's a life of dissapointment and no interest. R I P comic contest old forums my baby, my joy, my life.

In my opinion the way contests are handled right now is lackluster and not correspondent to the activity of the art forums. The contests are opened like some sort of event which expects 5+ entries or something, while in reality you are lucky to have any contest at all. The way I think it should be handled is a lot more matching to how the activity is around the forums. There should be a more intimate experience of contest - rather have a group of regulars who compete with each other every week or so. Those who get interested in the contest can ask to join that group. I think that's a better social experience, and one could say a more embroadening experience on an artistic level too.

But, even in that setting I'm doubtful we would get a lot of interested contestants.

Only the poetry contest is going ham. Not trying to be condescending, but there's a difference in commitment to writing and the visual arts. As on a forum, we write all the time. So to expect a same kind of interest in visual arts is unrealistic imo. (just look at the art forum)

It's a bit pessimistic to say 'don't even think about revitalizing the contest section', but it's hard to believe it's going to work. :|

iI8JgRw.jpg

#17 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

@daoko What a contest needs is mostly a steady schedule and advertising like fuck (join the Poetry Contest!).

When I took over the Poetry Contest, it was completely dead, now we get some entries on a nice regular basis. Sure, poetry is easier to churn out than visual arts, but the contest isn't just magically self-sustaining. It mostly needs a dedicated host :P

I could actually see a comic contest work though, more than the WSAC in fact... as long as you allow bad/hand-drawn art and short strips.

Edited by Oben, 07 August 2015 - 04:32 AM.

• Yamagician likes this

#18 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Lucina Main

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,393 posts
  • LocationTech City

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

WSAC takes effort, but it's easy to shit out low-tier comedy. It's a good idea, definitely.

MAKE | TOTAL | DESTROY

Leu14ht.gif

#19 Gnag

Gnag

川 ̄_ゝ ̄)ノ ハロー♪

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Locationis a word

User's Awards

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Whatever happened to the Photo contest?

I finally decided to dust of my camera and went out to shoot some so I figured I'd join that, why is it not a thing anymore? 

boo on that. 

Can we make it a thing again or was there just no interest in it? 

I'd gladly make it a thing again, cus I want it to be.. a thing.. again... ;=;

If there's no interest to host it by anyone I can fix the threads, I really missed my camera you see.

Edited by Gnag, 25 August 2015 - 11:36 AM.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Magic

#20 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

don't you say those things.  theyre gona make you run the damn contest with talk like that, you know.  lol.

as long as intest is high enough I mean.  the short story contest hasn't gotten a participant in months for example. 

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users