313 replies to this topic

#1 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Use this thread to tell others about mangas you just finished reading.....   I'll start - use this format.

Name:    My Girl  ( Sahara Mizu )

How I Started:   Don't remember, I've been reading it for quite a while as an ongoing

Like:    Yes its a nice slice of life of the josei /seinen variey about a young single father raising his young daughter by himself, it is very sweet and slow paced, just a really nice sweet slice of life with likeable mc s.

How Was the Ending:   It was sort of bittersweet, sad and then funny.    I thought the last few chapters sort of lost some of the specialness of the manga but the actual last chapter was fine, it didn't leave any holes but didn't completely satisy the way the earlier volumes did.  

Would You Recommend:   Yes, to another who wants a slice of life or stories about parenting.   It's fairly short,  44 chapters = 5 volumes.    It is a very good sweet slice of life and a real father/ daughter not any Usagi Drop crap where it ends, just real dad raising a young child by himself.

Edited by inzaratha, 20 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#2 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

Name: Hitman Reborn

How I Started: Shola was talking about it on the Bleach forums.

Like: Horrible 

How Was the Ending: Rushed and horrible, apparently a 8 year old figured out how to cure a centuries old curse.

Would You Recommend: Hell No 

• waleuska, Don't say, taigaandserizawa and 1 other like this

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#3 ramz91

ramz91

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMotorcity

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Name:Crying Freeman

How I Started:Metal Heart's manly list of manly manga (not sure if that was correct)

Like:Yeah I enjoyed it

How Was the Ending:Well the manga came in full circle

Would You Recommend:Depends if you like mangas about the mafia (violence) then I would recommend it, however, there is nudity here so be warned

Name:The Crater by Osamu Tezuka

How I Started:I randomly searched for completed mangas by Osamu Tezuka

Like:Yes I liked it, I took a personal message after each story

How Was the Ending:No definable ending per say, but I fdid eel closure after reading the final chapter

Would You Recommend:Yes I would recommend it

Edited by ramz91, 08 August 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Sig%20Image_zpsum2gbm1a.jpg

Credit to the Red Opus for the awesome sig

Congratulations on reading this sentence that serves no other purpose besides distraction and by the way, you've just lost the game.

Also, Gowther is the Lust of my Life and Redline sucks ball bearings

Spoiler To find out why I had to add the second line to my sig, check link in the spoiler

Spoiler I wonder if people actually read what I put here

#4 fararibmwz

fararibmwz

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Locationlittle red dot

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Name: Bitter Virgin

How I Started: someone mentioned it in a post so I checked it up because the title sounded interesting

Like: Enjoyed it very much, rarely read romance manga but this one certainly is unique and an enjoyable read

How was the ending: I would say its sort of a happy ending. but its up to you to decide

Would you recommend: I would recommend this to people who love bittersweet love stories, female protagonist is someone who is afraid of men (past trauma), except for the male protagonist

WARNING: categorized as seinen and psychological but do have light moments to brighten the mood

36063215_zps2748996c.jpg

#5 ANewLight

ANewLight

Hokage

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationWherever I'm Needed.

User's Awards

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Name: Bakuman

How I Started: I first read it in Monthly Shonen Jump.

Like: It was good enough. It never felt like it was dragging on, which is a huge plus.

How Was the Ending: It was as I expected, but still left me wanting more.

Would You Recommend: Yes I would. It gives a good look into what a mangaka might go through.

#6 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Aha! More Yaoi!

Name: Dear Green (and the sequel/extras)

How I started: There was this avid yaoi fan I met on MAL and this was on one of her favorites 

Like: Wow, okay, this ticked all the boxes of a perfect yaoi story. Both of the characters are extremely well written. They are both straight men who have been friends since highschool which makes their love really interesting. The setting is great, cause one of them is a college dropout so it's all really realistic. What really makes this yaoi manga different though is the side characters that appear and then disappear. Each of them also have their emotions displayed and it's honest and interesting. I would have liked a bit more focus on some of the side characters and that would be my only complaint.

8/10

Recommend?: Definitely for slice of life fans. It's deals with the same issues as Solanin except it's not exactly as theme focused. For fans of yaoi, there is a lot less smut, but it's still an extremely good story. You'll fall in love with the two main characters, cause there isn't a girly uke. D:

tumblr_opz8jglokR1rofk73o1_400.png

Sana you're horrible, never change.

#7 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Name: Molester Man (raw)

How I started: From people talking about it in the forum.

Like: It was great. really nice story and very enjoyable.

#8 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Name: The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor

How I started: Well, Rihito is famous so I wanted to try more or her works

Like: Yeah, I'm sorry, Rihito, your art is amazing, I can't deny that. It's one of the best I've seen. But your stories, I really can't get why people find them so good. Granted, this manga wasn't written by Rihito. I guess it just felt done before, and I didn't exactly like the characters that much so it was a bit tedious. I mean, I tend to like these slice of life stories about people who ruin their lives and try to fix it back, but there really isn't anything special here. Well, the story isn't horrible, I don't know, maybe if the art was worse I'd actually like it a bit more since I just feel the whole thing is being carried by the art.

6/10

Or maybe I'm being too much of a hipster and can't stand Rihito's stuff is too popular >_>

Recommend: Fans of Rihito (Seven Days/Only the Flowers Know) should probably try and it's not a bad read if you're looking for just a random nice slice of life. 

Edited by Sanagami, 24 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#9 taigaandserizawa

taigaandserizawa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationStray Cats Cafe~Nyaa!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Name: Velvet Kiss

How I Started:Looking around in manga lists, and this jumped in my face.

Like: Great, was a great romantic story with enough sexuality to keep a teenager such as myself interested.

How Was the Ending: Alright.

Would You Recommend: Definitely! If you can take nudity though.

Edited by taigaandserizawa, 24 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#10 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Name: Lover's Doll

How I started: Well, if anyone has been reading my posts remotely, I've been sort of on a Yaoi Trainride reading spree lately but I'm still trying to understand the genre and try to see if I really like it. I've been reading tons of slice of life yaoi and I wanted to try my hands on a yaoi that's just cute and adorable and see how much I would enjoy it

Like: So I don't really....  I can deal with shoujo that are all adorable for like one volume so its not like I just hate things that aren't slice of lifes. It doesn't help since I don't exactly find Bishies cute in the first place, the manga really doesn't do much for me. The art is great, and the story is short and cute indeed, but that's it. I sort of had to push myself to finish this and if it was any longer I wouldn't have. The most annoying thing though is the characters are really boring. And to be honest, I didn't hate this, so I probably would have enjoyed this the same if it was a boy and a girl instead of two guys. I need my drama and my realistic characters in almost any story I guess.

5/10

Recommend: So this manga is basically an Absolute Boyfriend with two guys instead of a girl and a boy. With better art. It's not like I'll tell you not to read it and for a short read it can be enjoyable. 

#11 ramz91

ramz91

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMotorcity

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Name:Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7, Steel Ball Run

How I Started:I have been reading Jojo since the first part, Phantom Blood

Like:Yeah I liked it since this part was the first part in an alternate universe

Recommend:If you have read the previous parts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure then this will make sense,fans of this series would not need my recommendation to read this manga

Name:Yoningurashi

How I Started:I randomly found it on mangafox

Like:I really enjoyed it eventhough it was really short, only 58 chapters long
Recommend:If you like a short slice of life manga then I would recommend it for you

Edited by ramz91, 03 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

Sig%20Image_zpsum2gbm1a.jpg

Credit to the Red Opus for the awesome sig

Congratulations on reading this sentence that serves no other purpose besides distraction and by the way, you've just lost the game.

Also, Gowther is the Lust of my Life and Redline sucks ball bearings

Spoiler To find out why I had to add the second line to my sig, check link in the spoiler

Spoiler I wonder if people actually read what I put here

#12 Shinki

Shinki

Shinki Bus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts
  • LocationBlade Dizzle Gangbang

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I haven't "completed" any manga series in a while, but the last one I can remember is...

Name:  Mai-Otome Arashi

How I started:  Just browsing manga lists and noticed that the Mai-Otome manga had gotten a short sequel.  

Like:  It was a funny and cute addition to a good manga series.  Pretty much it.  

Recommend:  I definitely recommend giving Mai-Otome a read, it's a decent story and  one of the few times where you see harem and gender bender show up in the some manga.  Although, I did like the Mai-Otome anime better, even though it didn't have the whole gender bender/harem aspect to it.  

#13 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I completed a bunch of new Christmas one shots - shoujo  basically I was looking for some cute Christmas stories to read  that I hadn't read before so that is the how I started on all of these.

Name:  Tonari no Danshi

Like:   It's a cute shoujo from a male point of view and it reminded a Lot of  Lovely Complex, the dynamics between these two friends who constantly compete and try to out-do each other on everything.  

They are competing on who can get a date first for Christmas. 

Ending:   Very cute

Recommend:   If you like Lovely Complex type characters or a male point of view or just want a Christmas story.

Name:  Marii to Santa

Like:   It was ok,  this is a pure Christmas story suitable for kids of all ages no romance,  a young Santa apprentice on his first deliveries. 

Recommend:   It's a cute Christmas story but not great.

Name:   Merry Unbalance Christmas

Like:   It was a typical shoujo with a twist where a really rich guy falls for a common girl but she doesn't fall for him

Recommend:   It was enjoyable but not great.

I'll probably finish more soon.

Ok another one done

Name:  Chocolate Christmas

How I Started:   This one has been on my list for a while,  it's an old shoujo classic by the mangaka of Sailor Moon

Like:   It's different from some of the current shoujos since it was written in the late 80's, it's about a girl who falls in love with hearing a radio commentor without ever meeting him or seeing what he looks like etc, takes place over two christmases.   Yes, The story itself was predicatable but had some good emotions to it and it was sort of quirky.  It's one volume 5 chapters.

There is a separate one shot for the 5th chapter that was a romance not a Christmas story that was like a complete hundred page one shot by itself.   Wink Rain. 

Don't like:   Some of the translation is a little odd at places and the art is a really different style cause it's older,  so that might turn some readers away, but the art isn't necessarily bad, cause who wants them all to look the same. 

Recommend:   If you are looking for a Christmas story that is a little longer than the one shots or you are a fan of classic older  mangas.

Edited by inzaratha, 27 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#14 syalala12

syalala12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Name:    Onani Master Kurosawa

How I Started: clicked 'surprise me' on mangareader and it appeared.

Like:   Yeah. I thought it would be some wtf kind of manga because of first page of first chapter. but really, it is good

How Was the Ending:  kind of sad  and it has deep meaning. friendship, trustworthy etc

Would You Recommend: yep, why not?

#15 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Name:  Piercing

How I Started:   Saw it was a one shot by the mangaka of Vagabond and REAL

Like:   It was okay,  probably thought it would be better because of the mangaka, the story is not at REAL level, but it's nice  for a one shot and the art was great - there is nothing wrong with it either, Im probably more picky cause I know what this mangaka is capable of. 

Recommend:  If you are a fan of the mangaka and want to read all his stuff.   It's quick so sure.

Name:   Say, Say, Say

How I Started:   Yeah I am a fan of Hwang Mi Ri and Han Yu Rang and they are not for everyone,   I've been reading it for a long time,  it finished up and I was waiting for vacation to read more. 

Like:   its a manhwa shoujo romance, lots of drama I enjoyed it but it's not one of the manhwaka's best either,  but its a nice shoujo romance. 

#16 Gnag

Gnag

川 ̄_ゝ ̄)ノ ハロー♪

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts
  • Locationis a word

User's Awards

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Name:    Katekyo Hitman Reborn

How I Started:   I was home alone, had this madress dragged out in the living room trying to watch this boring movie, gave up and spent the whole night reading the first 50chapters of KHR. Do not ask me why I remember this so clearly.. 

Like:    Uhhh. I liked the first part! Then it got kind of weird but I do not think it deserves the harsh criticism it got. 

How Was the Ending:   Rushed. Didn't really tie anything togheter. For good or bad I don't want to say. I'm feelin' kind of indifferent about the whole thing. 

Would You Recommend:   If you're bored and looking for some light comics, then sure, read the first 50 chapters but stop after that.. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Magic

#17 ruggia

ruggia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Name: Spice And Wolf (light novels)

How I started: It's been recommended a lot, so I started from watching the anime, then picked up the light novels right after. Finally finished all 17 volumes after couple months :D

Like: AWEEEESOME. This series has the best dialogue without competition and the story was so sweet. One of the best I've read.

How Was the Ending: Nice and quite different from what I expected at start. The author did a great job of tying everything together and really showing how the character grew from start to end. 

Would You Recommend: Definitely. It's hard to come by a romance as good as this :D

#18 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Name:    Kongou Banchou

How I Started:   It's popular on another forum and brought to my attention.

Like:    I like the art style and the story has a lot of the aspects I like in a shonen battle manga. It also has a good pace and likeable characters.

How Was the Ending:    It was pretty cheesy, kind of rushed, but also quite satisfying. The last fight/conflict wasn't anything special, but the last chapter was nice.

Would You Recommend:   Yeah, I'd recommend it to anyone that likes shonen battle manga that are a little cliche, but do those cliches right.

ezgif-452787100_zpsrceyt72i.gif

#19 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Name:   Onani Master Kurosawa

How I Started:   Looking at random threads here which led me to Molester Man, which led me to Onani Master Kurosawa. I'd come across it before but lost interest before I got past the second chapter

Like:   Hmm. The way the sliding scale was dealt with I suppose. Mostly I liked how deconstructed it was. I expected something more out-there and whacky (as weird as the premise is already).

How Was the Ending:  I thought it was decent, wish there was a tad more detail. The epilogue novel was cute I suppose XD

Would You Recommend: What are you doing reading this review, go!

Edited by Otaku-N., 31 December 2012 - 07:47 AM.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#20 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Name:  Kongou Banchou

How I Started:   I really don't remember, it's been such a long time. I'm posting this because it's just ended

Like:  It's a manly manga of manliness with (knowingly?) ridiculous curveballs every 10 chapters and is so cheesy it's endearing. Kinda. I liked it.

How Was the Ending: I didn't really expect anything different, but it would've been nice to be surprised.

Would You Recommend:  Yep, though YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users