Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Location6th Layer of the Abyss

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

Name: Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee

How I started: Had heard of it long ago and finally gave it a try.

Like: On first glance, it's a standard shounen story of a boy trying to follow his hero. But it quickly turns into an elaborate work of art that manages to create a truly unique world where giant robotic insects literally are after the soul of any living being. It essentially is a long, beautifully drawn declaration of love and admiration for delivery men and women.

Ending: Intriguing and, at best, a bittersweet one.

Recommend: Where else can you read about your (not-so-)average postman being the greatest hero that roams the country?

Name: Tokyo ESP

How I started: Was looking for a new action-based series and got hooked.

Like: Very much. Its premise is rather interesting, although not entirely new and the cast is well-balanced.

Ending: A bit rushed, as the final fight could have been extended by quite a bit. But the epilogue was good, managing to be both conclusive and open at the same time.

Recommend: Yes, it's an above-average series with a good length (76 chapters à 30-50 pages)

Name: Nisekoi

How I started: Was eager to read the latest work of Komi Naoshi.

Like: A typical RomCom that initially tried to not follow age-old patterns but, over time, used them all. A nice cast with lots of likeable characters and a multitude of a 'Face of the day' (which, along with Tsugumi, Ruri and Shuu, is for many the best part of the series)

Ending: Well-paced and tying all loose ends.

Recommend: If you liked Ichigo 100% or Love Hina, then this is something you shouldn't look over - especially considering how it went on to become the longest-running RomCom in WSJ.

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#302 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

Name: Tegami Bachi

How I started: It ended up on my recommended list one day while I was reading another manga, so I gave it a shot.

Like: Very much so! One of my all time favorite mangas, very cute, very emotional, very hopey and tension fueled.

Recommend: Oh, absolutely! If you like a mix of shonen and shoujo, with a magical girl(boy in this case) sort of feel

Page:

Spoiler

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#303 whatamelon

whatamelon

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

Name: Billy Bat

How I started: I already read it before up to the latest chapter,around 30+. Onemanga got me to start again and finish the series.

Like: Yes because I like this type of manga the most. A mix of Mystery and psyhological.

Ending: Felt rushed. I wish Urasawa shed more light to some of the mysteries in the manga.

Recommend: If you enjoyed 20th century, then you should give this manga a try, but don't expect it to be 20th century level.

Edited by whatamelon, 30 August 2016 - 05:40 AM.

tan3pu.png

#304 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

Name: Uwakoi

How I started: Was going throught the mature tags

Like: It was okay. It reminded me alot of School Days. The art wasn't my style.

Ending: It was a fitting ending for the protagonist

Recommend: Not generally.

#305 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Name: Gyo

How I started: It's by Junji Ito and I was in the mood for some horror manga.

Like: I have mixed feelings about it. A lot of Junji Ito's stuff (that I've read) feels like it's driven by implausible coincidences and silly premises. Normally, this doesn't bother me, but in Gyo things were too over-the-top for it to have an effect on me. Also, I don't think the story was helped by the background explanations of the phenomenon; they just seemed to set back the pace and only made mundane (overstatement on my part) what could have remained mysterious.

Ending: Not particularly good.

Recommend: Not unless you're a fan of Ito. Just read his other stuff, like Uzumaki or the following short story.

Name: The Enigma of Amigara Falls

How I started: I finished reading Gyo and this was a short story included at the end.

Like: Yep, this is what I read Junji Ito for. It's creepy, atmospheric and pervaded with the sense that something much bigger is going on than what is in the story.

Ending: It's so short that this doesn't really matter, but it was good.

Recommend: Yes.

Edited by Tale, 27 March 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#306 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

Name: Fuan No Tane

How I Started: Looking for horror manga.

Like: It's made of dozens of very short stories, between 2 to 3 pages long. Some of them were creepy, but the majority didn't do much for me. 

Ending: Not really applicable here. 

Recommend: Not really, but you can give a few of the stories a shot and see if you like it. 

Name: Long Dream

How I Started: I'm reading all of Junji Ito's stuff but someone recommended this to me and I skipped ahead.

Like: It's my favourite short story by Ito, with doses of Lovecraft. 

Ending: A bit perfunctory, but it's not really the point.

Recommend: Yes.

Edited by Tale, 29 January 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#307 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

Name: Hanayome wa Motodanshi

How I Started: Mangaupdates genre search -> Include romance, exclude hentai, doujinshi, a bunch of other filters -> sift through all the stuff from last year -> this manga was a tab I didn't close when I was checking through the results.

Like: It's autobiographical. The way these things tend to work, the author shares their inner workings more readily, so I enjoy that.

Ending: Cute. Though of course it's not really an ending rather than a new beginning.

Recommend: If you're okay with LGBT stuff, yes. Some might find it too cutesy and limited in scope I guess.

Edited by Otaku-N., 03 February 2017 - 11:11 PM.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#308 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Name: Hellstar Remina

How I Started: Still reading Junji Ito's stuff and this sounded Lovecraftian (and technically might be, but doesn't really feel like it).

Like: I liked the art and some scenes, but it's not really engaging enough given its length and the panels it devotes to characters being chased by frenzied mobs.

Ending: I'm indifferent towards it.

Recommend: Not really, unless you just want to skim through it to look at the art.

Edited by Tale, 27 March 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#309 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

Name: Black Paradox

How I Started: Going through Ito's stuff.

Like: It's okay. It has an interesting first chapter (which after the first read seems to have little to with the next five) and managed to keep my attention till the end. 

Ending: A bit strange considering it makes the whole story look like the set up of a shounen manga.

Recommend: If you're a fan of Ito, go for it.

#310 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Name: 'Uchi no Musume Ni te Dasu Na' (lit. "Don't Meddle with My Daughter")
How I started: Found it by accident, thanks to a random TV Tropes link. The artsyle immediately caught my attention and the premise sounded funny.
Like: Yes. It's what 'Spinnerette' used to be: a mostly lighthearted parody of the superhero genre. I'm planning to buy it once it releases Stateside, this August.
Recommend: It depends. If you're that type that's turned off by fanservice, or if you're easily offended by depictions of sex, don't bother. But if you're okay with it, or if you can overlook that sorta thing? Then, yes.

#311 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Name:  To Love Ru: Darkness

How I Started:   Started reading To Love Ru. It got canceled because of stuff.

Like:  Normally I stay away from Harem stuff but the To Love Ru series actually got it right.

How Was the Ending:  Like To Love Ru Part 1, Darkness seemed to have been suddenly stopped because of Real Life Issues with the mangaka. However Rito did finally make up his mind.

Would You Recommend:   If a person likes any combination Seinen, Ecchi, Comedy, and Harem.

Posted Image

#312 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

By recently, lets say my latest completed reads.

Name: ib - instant bullet

How I Started: Was checking on Akasaka Aka's other work - author of god tier manga Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains

Like: Yes. It was great.

Ending: Well, the manga was axed. Yet, the ending still was better than in many. And there is an afterword from author!

Recommend: If you are in for mix of drama, love, tragedy, happines (?! ..the one that leaves you with trauma later, but it has it sweet moments too) and despair, with good art and characters who can make decisions, then you better go read it.

Name: Spirit Circle

How I Started: Was looking for some tragedy-drama, straight stuff without harem shojo bender kitchen sports etc.

Like: It started out good. Nice concept. But soon lost its impact.

Ending: Left me indifferent. While reading I didn't realise that the site had missing chapters and it skipped from I think 3rd to 6th, it seemed strange and I was somewhat confused, but well, not the first manga to make one confused, right? I realised it short before end and was left without misteries behind stuff explained.

Recommend: In the end I didn't bother to check for the missing volumes.

Name: Aku no Hana

How I Started: Like with the previous one.

Like: Well, yeah, it was a sick ride.

Ending: The ending itself wasn't that heavy, not the reason itself for reding it. It could have ended in certain other point. If you read it you will know.

Recommend: Yes, if you are in for something sick in terms of shounen manga (I think concerning age of characters, not really of audience), at least I didn't read something like this before. It's of highschool life/slice of life genere but at points it made me terrified. No, no gore or anything, just wth. I'd write short summary but it would spoil characteristics of, well.. characters.

Edited by pyrogenic, 20 April 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• Tale and SootKatt like this

#313 SootKatt

SootKatt

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Name: Bitter Virgin
How I Started: I had always heard it was good and I randomly decided that I was in the mood for a "romance" story and started reading it. Hoo boy, it was not at all what I had expected.
Like: Loved. It scratched more than the romance itch I was having because it turned out to have a very serious tone.
Ending: I think the ending fit pretty well. It allows me to kind of take the future of the characters as I want to.
Recommend: Absolutely, if you like sort of shy romance with a hint of the Psychological genre.

• Gobi Todic likes this

#314 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Name: Slam Dunk

How I Started: I recently made my first trip to Japan. They were celebrating 50 years of Shounen Jump and highlighting the 90s manga. So I decided to take a trip down memory lane with Yu Yu Hakusho and Slam Dunk.

Like: Takehiko Inoue can draw. I mean the art is very much 90s shounen with the pants, facial expressions, delinquents but it's so crisp and detailed even if I think he went a bit overboard on the sweating. The story is underrated, at least it was in my memory. I remember it being good but that was the first read through about 10 years ago. This is a classic in every sense of the word: it pushed the envelope on the sports genre, it is a commercial megahit, it's stands up to re-reads, and it's not a story limited to the 90s.

Ending: There a very few manga that have good endings. Most end too soon, too rushed or just leave you feeling like there's something lacking. Not Slam Dunk, this manga has a great climax and an appropriate ending. Of course as with all great series, I wouldn't be upset to see it continue.

Reccomend: If you haven't read this manga and you like shounen, put in on your must read list. If you've read this series, and it's been a while since the Tensai Hanamichi made you smile, read this series. If you like basketball and hate the NBA right now, read this series. If you're born in the 90s, read this series. If you have free time, read this series. 

• SootKatt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users