315 replies to this topic

#41 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Name:  Perfect Couple   ( aka Perfect Match)

How I Started:   Saw it listed on a site and it looked interesting so I thought I'd check it out, I finished all 3 volumes within a day.

Like:   Yes it had a nice flow to it and kept me reading.    Its a mature shoujo romance about a woman who is a writer, this movie producer wants to make a drama of her book, she refuses to sign and they start fighting /argueing from the start. 

It's basically about a couple who can't get along at all and fight a lot even though they are attracted to each other.    I liked the female lead cause she was intelligent and strong willed. 

Recommend:   If you like stories with those type of couples, it's like a josei or mature shoujo but with no smut, more about how they relate to each other. 

And another today Feb 3

Name:   No Free Time to Get Dirty

How I Started:   Reading another manga by the same mangaka.

Like:   Yes,  it's a mature shoujo about a girl who sleeps around cause she thinks she is bad, but finally learns from her mistakes.   I thought it was pretty different it's much more raw than most shoujos, it's like without any illusions. 

Recommend:   Sure but to enjoy it you have to finish it, cause in the whole middle she's a mess...

Edited by inzaratha, 04 February 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#42 ramz91

ramz91

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMotorcity

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Name:Myum-Myum

How I Started:I saw it on Metal Heart's profile feed

Like:Yes I liked, it showed how scary the crowd mentality can be and how people can be stubborn in accepting a foreign view

Recommend:If you like psychological mangas then I will recommend this manga

Sig%20Image_zpsum2gbm1a.jpg

Credit to the Red Opus for the awesome sig

Congratulations on reading this sentence that serves no other purpose besides distraction and by the way, you've just lost the game.

Also, Gowther is the Lust of my Life and Redline sucks ball bearings

Spoiler To find out why I had to add the second line to my sig, check link in the spoiler

Spoiler I wonder if people actually read what I put here

#43 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Name: Saint Seyia The Lost Canvas 

How I Started: Part of The Saint Seyia Series 

Like: Yep it had alot of cool fights and characters.

Recommend:If you like battle mangas with likeable characters that don't asspull through stuff *cough* fairy tail *cough*

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#44 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Name: Coo's World

How I Started: It's been on my reading list for ages. I don't remember how it got there, but I suspect the art caught eye.

Like: The story wasn't what I thought it would be. I couldn't really relate to it at all. It was mildly interesting though with good art.

Recommend: Not really. Though I wouldn't denounce it either.

ezgif-452787100_zpsrceyt72i.gif

#45 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Completed several this week.

Name:   Kimi wa Pet

How I started:   I read the first two volumes of this back on onemanga and it was one I stopped when it went down, so a friend recommended it and I decided to read it.    So I started over and read it over again this week.  

Like:   Yes it deserves the high ratings it gets,  its a good josei and I really liked the writer's style, you can really visualize and understand the characters and they are ones that you will remember long after you've read it.    A few of the characters made me angry at times so the writer did her job well.     It's mid range 14 volumes so larger for a josei if definitely kept me reading it and I never lost interest.    The characters are well created and have growth.

How was the ending for you:    The final chapter was a bit odd but once I understood what the author was doing I liked it and it's a good ending I was happy with it. 

Recommend:   To anyone looking for a mature josei romance that is really well done.  

Name:   Lovely Everywhere

How I Started:    I've been reading this since it first came out in 2010 and the last chapter was finally scanalated.     If you read it now you can read 16 chapters without having to wait months in between like so many I read.

Like:   Yes,  I liked the heroine, it's sort of a typical shoujo but better than many,  shoujo manhua romance, school.

How was the Ending for You:   Very good, it was sweet.

Recommend:   Yes if you like stories like Hiyoki or ones like that that are sweet. 

Name:   Ojikoi

How I Started:   Saw it as a new manga it looked unusual

Like:   It was very odd but it was just one volume,  It's about a girl who falls for her older boss,  and I mean he's like a middle aged guy so it's odd but pretty funny.

How was the Ending for You:   It was sort of ambigious and open like it leaves it up to your imagination

Recommend:   If you are looking for something short but atypical to read with humor.

Name:   Mascara Blues

How I Started:    It's an earlier collection of one shots by the author of Ao Haru Ride and Strobe Edge and I read her mangas and enjoy them, so because of the mangaka.

Like:   They were cute and short - nice one shots,  not extraordinary but quite decent.

Recommend:   To people who like the mangaka or like shoujo one shots. 

• DeadFantasy likes this

#46 ramz91

ramz91

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMotorcity

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Name:Paradise Kiss

How I Started:I remember watching the anime when I was younger and not understanding the interactions between the characters, so then I later found the manga and I completed it...

Like:Well as one of the few josei mangas that I have read, it was kind hard at first getting used to it, but by the end of the manga, I had gotten used to it and I enjoyed the manga

Recommend:Yeah I guess I can recommend this manga...

New completed manga

Name:Oyaji

How I Started:I found it while looking for completed seinen mangas

Like:I really liked it, this manga in my opinion is manly for the same reason that Hokuto no Ken is manly, it showed that women are like craftsmen while men are the raw material (clay or even steel), it is the craftsmen who forms the final product from the raw material and in that process both the craftsmen and the crafted product have an emotional attachment...(sorry for the rant :blush: )

Recommend:I would recommend but I warn you, this being a seinen manga, the violence is quite extreme (decapitation) and there is nudity

Edited by ramz91, 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Congratulations on reading this sentence that serves no other purpose besides distraction and by the way, you've just lost the game.

Spoiler To find out why I had to add the second line to my sig, check link in the spoiler

#47 DeadFantasy

DeadFantasy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationLukedonia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Completed several this week.

Name:   Kimi wa Pet

How I started:   I read the first two volumes of this back on onemanga and it was one I stopped when it went down, so a friend recommended it and I decided to read it.    So I started over and read it over again this week.  

Like:   Yes it deserves the high ratings it gets,  its a good josei and I really liked the writer's style, you can really visualize and understand the characters and they are ones that you will remember long after you've read it.    A few of the characters made me angry at times so the writer did her job well.     It's mid range 14 volumes so larger for a josei if definitely kept me reading it and I never lost interest.    The characters are well created and have growth.

How was the ending for you:    The final chapter was a bit odd but once I understood what the author was doing I liked it and it's a good ending I was happy with it. 

Recommend:   To anyone looking for a mature josei romance that is really well done.  

This was actually my very first and only Josei manga. I liked it a lot. 

aeons1.gif

Favorite Manga:

Spoiler

#48 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Name: Koe no Kitachi

How I Started: Some people were talking about a controversial manga about bullying on another forum and it intrigued me.

Like: The art was nothing special, but the story was pretty powerful for a one shot.

How Was The Ending: It was good. It wrapped things up in a way that didn't just erase all the bad things Ishida did, but gave him a realistic step in the right direction.

Recommend: Yes, I recommend that everyone read this. Especially young people. It's just a one shot, so it won't take much of your time, and it quite interesting and powerful.

Edited by MattC302, 26 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

• fararibmwz and Tale like this

#49 Kyuri

Kyuri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Name: Gokusen

How I Started: Baka Updates

Like: I enjoyed it, but I can't say it was good. I hated Sawada Shin, the cool student and -- not a spoiler -- love interest. With. A. Passion. He's just a bad stereotype -- good looking, intelligent, rich, leader of class, good at fighting, liked by girls and important people, blah blah. Ugh. By the end, the manga got repetitive and rushed, and I think to a degree it forgot what it was supposed to be about. Still, the beginning was good.

How Was the Ending: Predictable, and as I said forgot what the manga was supposed to be about.

Recommend: Yes. The place where the order of the chapters is mixed up is a good place to stop.

#50 Black Dranzer

Black Dranzer

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationThe Heart

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Name: Crows

How I Started:
Have been wanting to read Worst for a while. Came upon the Worst OVA's
logo somewhere on the net. Crows is the prequel to Worst.

Like: Overall it's a good manga. The characters especially the MC are extremely likeable. Humor is used well and is not overdone. However, the author in wanting to keep the plot flow pacy (for whatever reasons) chooses to skip out on the finer details of some fights and characters. It almost gives you the impression that some of the pages are missing. Also, the intensity kinda tapers off towards the end. But still as mentioned earlier when you view the entire package it's good.

Recommend: Yes, if not looking for too much character development and want fast action packed sequences.

Now onto Worst!

Edited by Black Dranzer, 03 March 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#51 De Facto

De Facto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIn your heart

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

(Mind you, I haven't recently finished Eyeshield 21, but I'd like to
give it a mention in this thread anyways, if that's alright.)

Name: Eyeshield 21

How I Started: By total chance. I actually read one of the chapters that happened in the last arc of the series (before the big game against Team America), saw what the manga was about, and decided to start from the very top and catch myself up. The rest is history.

Like: Enjoyed it thoroughly.

How Was the Ending: Unfortunate. The final game made it feel like the story had to keep jumping the shark, and it ultimately ended that left me thinking it too hasty, albeit abrupt. Definitely could have gone better.

Would You Recommend: Absolutely. The approach that the mangaka took to stylizing American football into a manga series was brilliant and littered with fun, interesting characters (namely Yoichi Hiruma), plus it was a real treat to watch the artwork dramatically improve over time as the series progressed.

#52 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Name: Yakusoku Siren

How I started: I don't even remember...

Like: It was okay. The story wasn't spectacular and it really focused on the melodrama part of it even though it had a rather dark premise. I usually don't complain about it being "not dark enough" but it felt really incomplete and I felt baited. The art was slightly disappointing since the whole cover pages made it look really bishie like when it wasn't in the end. The characters also didn't make any sense sometimes. Still, while it was cliche, it never got annoying, so it wasn't that bad of a manga

6/10

Recommend: Not really a must, but if you like melodrama and just want some overall nice happy ending story, you can give it a read. It isn't long at all.

Name: Seizon-Life-

How I started: Basically someone who I think I have similar taste in stories with likes this manga a lot. So I gave it a try.

Like: Ehh, again, it was okay. I have a problem with a lot of older "shorter" manga because they tend to become really cheesy sometimes. It sorta feels many of them have this amazing idea, and then throw a rather similar cliche plot to fit with it. Honestly, it isn't bad at all. It's pretty much Monster, except a lot shorter and a lot less dark but if you liked Monster (I didn't), this manga would be a nice refresh. It has decent realistic characters, and a good buildup to the final climax. 

It just isn't special, and I tend not to like murder mysteries much so ....

6/10 Maybe 7. 

Recommend: Honestly, the manga is very overlooked so If you do like murder mysteries, and a bit of cheese mixed into it, you should give it a try.

tumblr_opz8jglokR1rofk73o1_400.png

Sana you're horrible, never change.

#53 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Name:   The Friendly Winter

How I Started:   I started it when it first came out as a full color webtoon manhwa. 

Like:   It is a really nice slice of life about a girl who never grows up physically ( body of a small child as a young woman ) and a boy who never grows up mentally, ( he is mildly retarded )  - it goes through a lot of the problems they have with society and their friendship and it never deviates and becomes something other than a slice of life which is good.     It was really good at making me feel emotional. 

Recommend:   If you are looking for something other than the run of the mill manga / manhwa and don't mind or like drama.    It's complete at 65 chapters now. 

Name:    Houkage x Ponytail

How I Started:   I started it as a new manga.     I thought it would be a longer series but it's just one volume.   I read a lot of one volumes though and one shots.  

Like:   Cute romance between a mangaka and a high school girl who loves manga and models for him.

Recommend:    Short and sweet!

Name:   Anata ni Hana wo Sasagemashou

How I Started:   Supernatural josei romance by the author of Midnight Secretary

Like:   I love this mangakas stories...   She writes supernatural smut.   This one was more romantic and less smutty than most of her stories.   She draws really hot handsome men ( not boys ) I actually liked the male mc in this one - he wasn't a jerk like in some of her  other stories, he was actually a bit on the wussy side.  lol.    But its a good story with traditional Japanese supernatural elements like ghosts of ancestors and a family curse.  I liked the female mc too. 

Recommend:   If you are looking for a good josei without josei pitfalls.  or you like supernatural ghost stories. 

Name:   Kaze no Galdor 

How I Started:   Traditional fantasy  one volume 2 related one shot stories.    Complete.

Like:   This is a traditional fantasy with a harper bard  based on Celtic mythology.     I haven't seen a lot of true Celtic mangas.

Recommend:   Very beautiful nicely done fantasy story that will appeal to lovers of the genre.    LOTR fans  Arthurian legends  etc.  

Also finished a bunch of shorter shoujos.    Game Over,     Love Graduation,     Heaven Company,    Tonari no Koakuma Boy,      Kareshi Toshishitakei,     Ojousama no Himitsu,    Moujuu wa Ori no Naka

#54 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Name: Love My Life

How I Started: I bought it a while back on JManga. I'm just now getting around to reading it since they are closing down and I won't be able to read it after May 30th...

Like: I can't really relate to the characters much, but it showed an interesting relationship that felt very real and natural. No melodrama. I appreciate that.

Recommend: Yeah, I do. It's yuri, so that might not be for everyone, but it's only one volume long and is a nice, short story about a lesbian relationship.

#55 Alpha

Alpha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Crown of love, I think it was 4 volumes.

I saw a picture of it and I liked the main male character. I liked how the main characters personality was a bridge between the normal determinated romance character and the popular aloof guy.

• inzaratha likes this

#56 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Name:   Boku Kara Kimi ga Keinai

How I Started:   I've been reading this one for a while since it came out,  the last two chapters just came out.

Like:   Yes, it s a nice shoujo romance and I like the mangaka art a lot.    If you like romances try it -

How Did you Like The Ending:   the ending was ok but could have been better and longer seemed a bit anticlimatic towards the end but still decent.

Name:   Sareki Oukoku

How I Started:    Reading others by mangaka  -  its a short fantasy by the author of Cain God Child.

Like:   Yes  I wish it was longer but the plot was well developed for a one volume,  it is set in a fantasy desert with a prince who has a half brother he never knew about try to steal the throne from him.   

t has dragons and sand beasts etc.   This writer uses a lot of different twists so her stories have surprises.   It's not that well known so if you like fantasy it's just one volume.

How Was the Ending for You:    It was both happy and sad. 

Name:   Die

How I Started:  One shot by author of above manga

Like:   It was very short it could have been longer but even in less than twenty pages it had beautiful art and a plot twist.   However I was kind of like huh since it was so short it left me with a lot of things to wonder about.  Psychological

Name:   Gemsilica

How I Started:   One shot by author of above manga

Like:   This was also short it was labeled as being about a psychotic gay vampire murderer but it has a lot of twists and it's not really like that but probably not for those who are allergic to things with shounen ai and yaoi influences even though it's not graphic in that way. 

A lot of twist for a short one shot.    Nice art.   Psychological.

Name:   Okujou Hime

How I Started:   I started this one when it first came out in translations,  it just finished.

Like:   It was ok  - it's a fairly short shounen romance.

How Did you Like the Ending:   The last chapter was the best one of the whole manga.

Name:   Cherries Fight

How I Started:   Pics from it are often used in scanalators pages so I thought I'd check it out.

Like:   It was a collection of shoujo one shots a lot better than I thought it would be mostly humor.   Cute.

Edited by inzaratha, 24 March 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#57 MattC302

MattC302

Blackbeard Jr.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Name: Cross Game

How I Started: I started buying the Viz omnibus volumes after loving the anime and Adachi's other series, 'Touch'.

Like: I love it. It's got a pleasant and understated art style, exciting baseball games, and a very well done relationship. It's like a more streamlined, compact 'Touch'.

How Was The Ending: It was very sweet. Well done.

Recommend:
Absolutely. I don't even like baseball, but I loved this manga. So this
isn't just for sports lovers. It also has a good sense of humor and a
really nice, very subtle romance. Definitely check this series out.

#58 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

Name:   Kurogane

How I Started:   Started it when it first came out in translations,  last chapters just translated.  

Like:   Yes,  I enjoyed it and read it every week, it is a shounen about kendo so a sports club, fighting, action manga, pretty straightforward - Pretty traditional shounen with a character growth etc.

How Was the Ending:   It would have been better if it was longer,  if it wasn't cut by shounen jump because of a dispute with the author,( over comments the author made online )  I'm sad they cut it since I was enjoyoing it.   But the author gave it an optimistic looking forward to the future type of ending that was as good as they could with it being cut actually, and the fights in the final volume were enjoyable, still this is not at the level of say blood and steel but it's a fun read, nothing deep just good fun fighting.  It's 8 volumes.

Recommend:   If you like swordfighting or kendo or martial arts type stuff.

Edited by inzaratha, 28 March 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#59 ramz91

ramz91

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMotorcity

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Name:Baki Gaiden - Scarface

How I Started:My random searches for other mangas by Keisuke Itagaki

Like:Yeah I liked it to some extent

How was the Ending: Short and sweet

Recommend:For fans of Baki the Grappler series, yes I would recommend it

Name:Appleseed

How I Started:More random searches for mangas by Shirow Masamune

Like:I liked it,in typical Shirow Masamune fashion, he incorporated technology with politics and philosophy

How was the ending:Short and sweet

Recommend:Fans of this mangaka's other works will enjoy it but be warned there is female nudity here

#60 inzaratha

inzaratha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Name:   The Last Supper

How I Started:   Saw it was a one shot by the author of Hinamatsuri and it looked funny. 

Like:   One of the funniest one shots I've read in a long time-  Its a very wierd detective story - humor

Recommend:   If you like odd stories that are funny Yes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users