• Please log in to reply
2777 replies to this topic

#2341 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Saw The Lego Batman just a while ago. 

Was pretty good. I liked it more than The Lego Movie. 

Though I know it was a part of the humor. But the sort of "relationship" thing they were doing with Batman and Joker was ....... a bit discomforting. 

#2342 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:34 AM

Just watched Split and I was absolutely blown away by how mental this film was......But I have to commend M. Night for the final third and the ending of this film.....I thought that this was gonna end the usual way these type of things end but boy was I wrong lol

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2343 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

@Tokoya haven't watched this yet but i read online that a certain(previous character) from another film of his shows up and he mentions his old foe name? Is it true

Fabolous ft Trey Songz "All There"

Spoiler

#2344 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

Spoiler HISHE Hero Swap - The Matrix starring Forest Gump

#2345 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

@Tokoya haven't watched this yet but i read online that a certain(previous character) from another film of his shows up and he mentions his old foe name? Is it true

This is true.....Hence why I'm expecting a third film

• Doan likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2346 Doan

Doan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

I think that i read that he is/was writing a script or has some ideas for it, something along those lines
  • Tokoya likes this

Fabolous ft Trey Songz "All There"

Spoiler

#2347 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Saw The Lego Batman just a while ago. 

Was pretty good. I liked it more than The Lego Movie. 

Though I know it was a part of the humor. But the sort of "relationship" thing they were doing with Batman and Joker was ....... a bit discomforting. 

I loved the movie 

I had more issue with the Batman liking Barbara thing. 

The Joker and Batman relationship actually makes sense to me. I didn't find it discomforting, but rather very accurate espexially when you think about the way Batman talks about there relationship in the Killing Joke. 

In fact a lot of this made me think of the Killing Joke except for the family stuff. 

The family stuff just made me want to go back and read more Detective Comics. 

#2348 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,953 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:22 AM

Warch John Wick 2. Solid sequel. But seriously, part 3 needs to boost the story a bit. I'm starting to get bored.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#2349 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Warch John Wick 2. Solid sequel. But seriously, part 3 needs to boost the story a bit. I'm starting to get bored.

The writer behind the John Wick movies only wrote shitty action movies so far and the directors/director are stuntmen which explains the on the point action. Story-wise, do not expect anything.

• Fulmine likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#2350 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2351 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Donald Glover will be voicing Simba in the live action Lion King film and also James Earl Jones has signed on to reprise the role of Mufasa

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2352 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

Gigguk should stick to his funny videos

qhz8b56l.png

#2353 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

Gigguk should stick to his funny videos

The recent ones of this format that he did are all great imo

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2354 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:16 AM

https://youtu.be/zKARwUI1KpE

THE GREATEST FIGHT IN HISTORY

#2355 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:22 AM

https://youtu.be/zKARwUI1KpE

THE GREATEST FIGHT IN HISTORY

That was such a great match....I'm really happy for the winner but I love the loser too.....He'll forever be the GOAT

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2356 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:34 AM

Man I love Gigguk.

#2357 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:24 AM

The recent ones of this format that he did are all great imo

Can´t talk about others but this one was both nonsense and unneeded

qhz8b56l.png

#2358 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

Can´t talk about others but this one was both nonsense and unneeded

i agree with most things he said in this video, why did you hate it so much?

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#2359 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts
  • LocationVigrid

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

I watched Arrival.

I really liked it and I thought it was beautiful. I cried at the end.

It's an alright story with some technical jargon and sci-fi to keep me entertained until it made me reach for the tissues.

• Tokoya and Raiden like this

0680-007%20-%20Copy_zpsyjmuhkna.png

#2360 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

i agree with most things he said in this video, why did you hate it so much?

I did not hate it but what is he trying to achieve with the video (besides getting many views of course)? Is he trying to lecture the audience about adaptations, which is a pointless endeavor, or is he trying to lecture the people who are doing the adaptations which would be immensely arrogant.

Putting that aside though, it completely ignores the far more important aspect regarding adaptations, heck even normal movies, namely production, everything from budget to the motivation of the actual filmmakers (director, writer...) and the great influence of the studio/producers in Hollywood movies and once you cross these points off, you can worry about story elements and such. 

For the most part, Hollywood adaptations, especially big action adaptations, are pushed by the studio for monetary reasons, which is fine of course. Nobody wants to make a loss regarding their investment but the problem is that in order to ensure they do not make a loss, they have huge influence over the production and its destination itself which often creates a source of tension between the "creative department" and the business one. If you are interested, you can actually read up on this process through insiders and first person accounts, including non-English and foreign directors who came to Hollywood after achieving success in their respective countries but immediately left again due to the immense difference in power structure (Kim Jee-woon and Park Chan-Wook come immediately to mind, or heck even Joss Whedon) .

For a director to be not overruled and majorly disturbed, he either has to be incredibly lucky or have a certain level of past success and renown, somebody like James Cameron for example, hence i am actually excited for Alita that hopefully comes out 2018 and has Cameron both as financier and creative consultant while the other producer is Jon Landau, a close friend of Cameron.

Adaptations like Ghost in the Shell though are projects pushed by the studio itself, so they decide to make the movie, then they hire people to realize the project and most of the time, the people hired are incredibly unknown or even lucky to get an opportunity. Just to take Ghost in the Shell as an example, they hire Rupert Sanders, who has one direction credit on a movie but is more famous for fucking Kristen Stewart (hence very lucky to get a project after such a scandal) and Jamie Moss as writer, who has one writing credit that is over 10 years ago. People like this can easily be controlled and steered towards what the studio wants since they have no leeway to oppose. Then they simply need to hire a famous actor/actress to draw in the audience in combination with enough marketing and you have an almost certain hit. Or you can take the Russo brothers for the Marvel movies, who never directed a relevant project before.

So neither the studio nor the filmmakers are particularly interested in doing a faithful or good adaptation that preserves what "worked for the original".

Just to compare two different but similar projects and the more than different result, take Lord of the Rings and Hobbit.

In Lord of the Rings, Jackson and his team were the driving force behind the adaptation, no studio would touch it since Lord of the Rings was deemed unadaptable until they were able to pitch it to New Line Cinema which gave the team much creative leeway and also took a huge risk considering all 3 movies were shot back to back in 438 days with reshoots later on. I do not want to simplify the reasons behind LotR´s success but it being a passion project for Jackson and his team and the restraint of the studio heads at the time (Bob Shaye and Michael de Luca) were certainly a huge contribution towards it.

Fast forward 10 years, now New Line Cinema being part of Warner Bros and due to the failure of Golden Compass, a much more strict studio which first hired del Toro and then Jackson to pick up the pieces while still giving him stuff he had to stick ot, and you get the Hobbit, with its behind the scenes drama (del Toro + Jackson), a over the top runtime of 4 hours, new additions of characters to draw in more of the audience (Orlando Bloom + Lilly) and so on.

Financially speaking, it still was a success (though not as much as LotR) but the movies sucked to be honest.

Going away from Hollywood adaptations though, it is obvious why Japanese action anime adaptations suck, they simply do not have the budget to make the action and everything that is connected with it, believable. Shingeki no Kyojin as a Hollywood Blockbuster would certainly have well looking titans for example.

This is just one anime genre to adapt though and unlike what he said in the video, there have been tons of great adaptations of anime/manga that do not require or rely on such a budget: Usagi Drop, GTO, Jin, Kenshin, Liar Game, Nodame, Holyland, Lone Wolf and Cub, Lady Snowblood, I am a Hero, Thermae Romae....

Regarding his points:

1.) Difference between west and east storytelling style nonsense. Putting the matter aside that he uses very vague statements to drive his points (what does he mean with storytelling style, how is this difference seen and expressed...), sure, you can not overlook certain cultural differences between Western countries and Eastern (which is an insulting way to put it to be honest considering a Japanese person has as much in common with a Chinese person as a French one does with a German for example) and the people make movies in their respective countries are, to a certain extent, a product of their environment, which will mirror some things in the movie (especially anime weirdness), but in the end, every director has a different approach to a story and The Departed/Infernal Affairs are not Western/Eastern movies respectively, they are done by Scorsese and  Andrew Lau. Same applies to Train to Busan which had a at first arrogant businessman father, a likeable couple and a cute teenager couple among their main characters, none of them particularly Korean or "Eastern", and neither was the ending or the execution of it. It was a deed by Yeon Sang-ho who is celebrated as one of the most promising directors in Korea right now.

2.) This is correct but still explained way too simplistically. It all depends on your vision and the circumstances of the adaptation. Like i said before, Lord of hte Rings for example was ruled unadaptable until it was adapted very well.

3) Duh, yet again too simple. It depends on whether the thing that makes the original medium work is useful for your adaptation and your purpose for it, whether it´s the director´s vision or simply the studio´s attempt to earn more money.

Considering he takes up the example of Oldboy for example, it Park Chan-Wook had taken the thing that worked for the original manga (assuming it worked in the first place which is debatable), which among the revenge plot was also the reintroduction of the main character to society, something completely irrelevant in the movie adaptation, then it would have resulted in a very different movie. He only took the premise though, namely a guy being held prisoner for a long time and then releasing him again, and made his own movie, to the degree where you could debate whether it is an adaptation in the first place.

• Otaku-N., Fulmine, Kid Frost and 1 other like this

qhz8b56l.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users