• Please log in to reply
2404 replies to this topic

#2401 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

Well, the fact that I started to google "Silmarillion film rights" and it popped right up tells me that there's already a bit of discussion/controversy regarding the issue.

http://www.techtimes...shouldnt-be.htm

Just an interesting article I came across, which doesn't talk about the rights much, but rather considers the idea of what the final product would be were the SIlmarilliion adapted to film. In fact, the writer is pretty sure it will be adapted one day.

Side note, Just watched an early screening of Get Out. Everyone should go see it. I thought it was great.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#2402 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

But didn't JR not finish the Simmilariin but his son, not that there's anything wrong with that but do we actually know what he would've wanted, just something i thought I read is all

@tenchu i may have fucked up but recall reading this as well but dont know how much i truly know, anywho

Correct me if I'm wrong, just going by what I read awhile back

Christopher tolkien edited it, organized and published it, he's very protectively owns the rights. I think i read that he hated the lord of the rings movies. I also read that he will not licensed his silmarillion to anyone. I might be wrong but i get the impression that he's the kind of guy that if peter jackson or steven spielberg call him, he'll hang up on them.

Edited by tenchu, 22 February 2017 - 11:32 PM.

• Doan likes this

24gvaiu.jpg

#2403 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Aside from beren and luthien, what other movies you guys think can be made and how would they go?.

24gvaiu.jpg

#2404 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Aside from beren and luthien, what other movies you guys think can be made and how would they go?.

I still think that both the Silmarillion and the Children of Hurin are viable candidates. The latter would be easier than the former however. At the least, you're looking at a third trilogy if you're doing the Silmarillion. There's simply too much in it to do anything less. If anything, a trilogy might not be enough.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#2405 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted Today, 10:34 AM

I still think that both the Silmarillion and the Children of Hurin are viable candidates. The latter would be easier than the former however. At the least, you're looking at a third trilogy if you're doing the Silmarillion. There's simply too much in it to do anything less. If anything, a trilogy might not be enough.

The Silmarillion as whole movie cannot be filmed i dont think not without becoming a clusterfuck. it would be too much. It could and should be done doing the individual stories of the different characters  and events like the beren and luthien example that i posted.

The children of hurin would not be easy to do because hollywood would want a pg-13 movie and i dont know how the hell you make that story pg-13.

Sure they could change and omit some events but which events and how many without undoing the story. Could they omit findulas death? maybe, how about Beleg, maybe something else kills him and not turin. Could they omit turin marrying his sister, no way. Maybe they could just say how turin died without showing it. You see, this is at least an R rated story. Lord of the rings trilogy may have had violence but it was stylized enough, and jolly fun to pass the pg-13 ratings. Besides the entire mood of LoTR story was an uplifting one which the children of hurin is definitely not.

The story of Tuor could easily be made, again his story was of triumph and heroism. Turin could have had a story similar to Tuor had he allowed Findulas to love him but the guy was just too stubborn, i mean if a god tells you destroy a bridge and hide, you destroy that freaking bridge and hide.

Also earendil the mariner could be make into a movie. I know im just pointing out mainly stories that endup good but how the heck can you film a tragic story and not make it rated R at the very least. 

About an elf main character movie i really think that a movie about fingolfin can be made. He didnt endup in triumph but he was pretty heroic and felt kind of main character like.  A movie focusing on mainly feanor, i dont think so, he would be part of a fingolfin movie no doubt but him as the main focus i dont know. They could make a movie of Galadriel hiding in thingol's kindom hehehe, i bet galadriel fans would not be too happy about it or maybe they would. Finrod Felagund, i think he was one of the most noblest and best characters of the elves. Could they make a movie with him as focus, maybe not enough material and his story is very entangled with beren and luthien's. A king thingol movie is an easy one, his story with melian is one of love.

A Valar focus movie i dont think so, they should be left mysterious and with a sense of wonderment.  

Edited by tenchu, Today, 10:41 AM.

24gvaiu.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users