• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

Ping Pong

ANN | MAL

58041l.jpg

Synopsis:

Childhood friends Makoto "Smile" Tsukimoto (ironically, he seldom smiles) and Yukata "Peco" Hoshino are capable and aspiring table tennis players of Katase High School. Coach Jō "Butterfly" Koizumi has high expectation to both of them, but when Peco gets decisively defeated by a Chinese student he becomes so devastated and stops practicing. Meanwhile, Koizumi discovers Smile's potential and tries to motivate him to overcome his psychological obstacle.

(Source: ANN)

Why You Should Watch This:

I know it is a relatively recent anime, so maybe it does not fit the requirements for the section fully, but this anime, besides Mushishi, saved anime 2014 for me, and i decided to recommend it, especially because i got the impression that it was highly overlooked and underseen in this forum.

The first thing that drew me to the anime was reading that Masaaki Yuasa directed the show. For all those that do not know, he is the guy behind Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy and Mind Game among other things, so i knew that the anime would be weird and artistically appealing. If you have not seen anything by him yet, you might feel a bit alienated, especially since the animation is sketch-like, reminiscent of Togashi on a good day B) , it´s weird for the sake of weird but it also celebrates the brilliance of animation in almost every scene it produces.

More importantly though, you will encounter some of the most compelling and best developed characters in anime who are basically the focus of the show while the sport ping pong, used mostly as the connection between the characters, seemed ten times more interesting after watching the anime because Yuasa understood how to make every match dramatic and to inject the matches with the character´s thoughts, fears and motivations.

And yeah, the OST is pretty awesome as well, really watch it and do not be too negative about the art style.

• DaEvilWithin, Tokoya, Fulmine and 1 other like this

qhz8b56l.png

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

I already watched the live action which is really good so...maybe no need for anime unless it has something different

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#3 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

I could not tell you since i did not watch the live action but if i had to guess, this one is more artistic, better OST and overall better.

To be honest, i have not seen a live action as good as the original manga or anime adaptions.

qhz8b56l.png

#4 Zzkays

Zzkays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

I already watched the live action which is really good so...maybe no need for anime unless it has something different

Having watched the live action, I can tell you that the anime/manga is alot better. The live action cuts out alot of characterization, especially Kong and Dragon's, who are great side characters.

I would recommend the manga more though. Yuasa is great but Matsumoto is a master.

• Fulmine likes this

#5 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Ping Pong is Anime of the Fortnight! I will definitely positively absolutely get to this as soon as this Durarara!! rewatch (and catch-up) is finished. Hopefully.

#6 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

Ping Pong is Anime of the Fortnight! I will definitely positively absolutely get to this as soon as this Durarara!! rewatch (and catch-up) is finished. Hopefully.

And, did you have the time to get to it yet?

qhz8b56l.png

#7 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,574 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

And, did you have the time to get to it yet?

Not yet haha. Haven't even had time to watch Kekkai Sensen episode 11. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users