Black Clover

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#1 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

main_bclover-thumb-661xauto-3016.jpg

Black Clover
Genre: Fantasy, Action, Shounen
Author: Tabata Yuuki

Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
Publisher: Shueisha

Aster and Yuno were abandoned together at the same church, and have been inseparable since. As children, they promised that they would compete against each other to see who would become the next sorcerous emperor. However, as they grew up, some differences between them became plain. Yuno was a genius with magic, with amazing power and control, while Aster could not use magic at all, and tried to make up for his lack by training physically. When they received their grimoires at age 15, Yuno got a spectacular book with a four-leaf-clover (most people receive a three-leaf-clover), while Aster received nothing at all. However, when Yuno was threatened, the truth about Aster's power was revealed-- he received a five-leaf-clover grimoire, a 'black clover' book of anti-magic. Now the two friends are heading out in the world, both seeking the same goal!

Chapter 1

#2 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Do you Even ArRanGe

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,574 posts
  • LocationStill smirking

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

Is this not the one having the bad omens in WSJ?

#3 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

Is this not the one having the bad omens in WSJ?

What do you mean?

#4 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Do you Even ArRanGe

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,574 posts
  • LocationStill smirking

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:19 PM

I remember reading about one getting low rankings in the WSJ, is this the one or am I mistaking it with another one?

#5 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

I remember reading about one getting low rankings in the WSJ, is this the one or am I mistaking it with another one?

Yes, you are mistaking it with another one.

#6 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Do you Even ArRanGe

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,574 posts
  • LocationStill smirking

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

Oh, then I will give it a read then.

#7 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Oh, then I will give it a read then.

This is the one that most people in the west do not like because of its uncanny similarities to a certain series that was published in the same magazine amongst some other things

Spoiler

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#8 Saiyan5nine-tails

Saiyan5nine-tails

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

Since when did "generic" mean "bad"?  It all depends on the quality of the story, and I've felt that Black Clover has been good thus far.

Bleach - Beyond the Pages

Visit the above blog for weekly updates of Bleach chapter reviews.

"On the Second Day,
The Beast Awakens,
With its single fang,
It swallows the falling star"
--------------------------
[B][CENTER]A bond that transcends their feelings and lies; the willingness to put aside differences for the other's safety; an undying respect and caring for each other. Black and White; Yin and Yang; Shinigami and Quincy.

Kurosaki Ichigo and Ishida Uryu

#9 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

maybe cause i stopped care about Naruto, but how many ways is it similar? 

Series is more compairable to fairy tail, but more a focus on negating magic (where FT started with an OP character). 

#10 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:55 AM

maybe cause i stopped care about Naruto, but how many ways is it similar? 

Series is more compairable to fairy tail, but more a focus on negating magic (where FT started with an OP character). 

MC is essentially a clone of Naruto 

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#11 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

MC is essentially a clone of Naruto

Zero magic vs unable to to control the energy.
Naruto was able to do fleets with magic at the start such mass kage
Also, orphan with some friends in low class vs looked down by every adult for something specific to him

#12 kenjitr

kenjitr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

Naruto had more magic then anyone else in the series so i am pretty much sure they are different in that aspect also this series seems to be more like berserk then Naruto so i may like it more since berserk is so slow lol . I think people shoudlnt complain too much i mean look at hero academy ( people said same things for it too ) , most shounens are smiliar at the beginings so we need to be patient also this series arent crap like fairy tail which is the disgrace of shounen mangas . Main character is more like Rock Lee in Naruto while his friend recembles griffith in berserk which makes this series more intresting , this may be a good mix of shounen and seinen like hunter x hunter . I hope this power system doesnt turn out plot based but it doesnt seem too great like nen while i think it wont be useless like ninjutsu in naruto , anyway its too soon to judge this series so lets wait and see .

• YyAoMmIi likes this

h42vj.jpg

#13 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

Zero magic vs unable to to control the energy.
Naruto was able to do fleets with magic at the start such mass kage
Also, orphan with some friends in low class vs looked down by every adult for something specific to him

They both started out completely useless, and couldn't do anything only for us to find out that they both have "special unique powers" deep inside of them that's insanely powerful

His personality is a carbon copy of Naruto (Hot-headed, hyper active, idiotic and very loud)

I wanna be the hokage/Wizard King so that everyone will acknowledge me - Aster only had two people in his corner, the prodigy guy and kind of the nun girl, Naruto had Iruka and Hinata. Both had no parents

>inb4 that great wizard king is his dad or grandfather

It's really sad that a mangaka such as this one who got a lot of hype over here in the west for such a good and unique series such as Hungry Joker would stoop so low and ruin most of our expectations by putting out something this cliché....He's even copying FT now with this guild stuff

I'm not saying that this series is bad because it's not and it's an alright read, all I'm saying is that it doesn't deserve all of the hype that it has in Japan. Boku no Hero Academia is a way better series than this and is proof that you don't need to take the most generic shounen elements in order to have a popular manga

Naruto had more magic then anyone else in the series so i am pretty much sure they are different in that aspect also this series seems to be more like berserk then Naruto so i may like it more since berserk is so slow lol . I think people shoudlnt complain too much i mean look at hero academy ( people said same things for it too ) , most shounens are smiliar at the beginings so we need to be patient also this series arent crap like fairy tail which is the disgrace of shounen mangas . Main character is more like Rock Lee in Naruto while his friend recembles griffith in berserk which makes this series more intresting , this may be a good mix of shounen and seinen like hunter x hunter . I hope this power system doesnt turn out plot based but it doesnt seem too great like nen while i think it wont be useless like ninjutsu in naruto , anyway its too soon to judge this series so lets wait and see .

BnHA didn't start out anywhere near as generic as this did

Izuku alone breaks the standard shounen male MC cliché

Edited by Tokoya, 21 April 2015 - 04:24 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#14 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

Personally, I hated Hungry Joker. Too many nonsense. 

They both started out completely useless, and couldn't do anything only for us to find out that they both have "special unique powers" deep inside of them that's insanely powerful

Naruto: Explanation of  the 9 Tails happened way afterwords, with the Gaara battle. 

Aster: Recognized already with his Null Magic. 

How often do you have Null Magic Protagonist? Last time was Mx0, and that was quite a few chapters since the start.

You do realize that is the default personality for a child protagonist with a dream right?

btw, this seems to have a lot of Devil References. 

#15 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Personally, I hated Hungry Joker. Too many nonsense.

Naruto: Explanation of the 9 Tails happened way afterwords, with the Gaara battle.
Aster: Recognized already with his Null Magic.
How often do you have Null Magic Protagonist? Last time was Mx0, and that was quite a few chapters since the start.

You do realize that is the default personality for a child protagonist with a dream right?

btw, this seems to have a lot of Devil References.

Read chapter 1 of Naruto again. He's a ninja who pretty much sucked at everything only for him to find a forbidden scroll, read it and perform a huge feat such as Multi Kage Bunshins and let it be revealed that he has more chakra than everyone in the village

It doesn't matter if their abilities aren't identical, the concept behind it all is still the same.

Izuku, Ichigo and pretty much every competent shounen lead would like to say hello. It's not a default anything, it's what you call being lazy, it's what is known as pandering to fans, its a bad cliché. It's really hilarious and sad how the mangaka stooped so low and made a freaking carbon copy of Naruto.....Same applies with freaking female tsudere's which are barely done right these days but are freaking EVERYWHERE

Black Clover is okay but no where near as good as its ranking makes it out to be. Out of the 4 new jump series, Kagamigami and UBS are way more unique and just overall better than it is but the sad world we live in today is that nowadays mangaka's are afraid to go outside the generic barrier and just gives us the same old shit over and over.

When the Big 3 eventually ends I don't want a carbon copy of those series. Be more original and come up with something slightly less cliché

I'm gonna laugh if the spinoff for Naruto decreases the ranking in Jump for this lol

Edited by Tokoya, 22 April 2015 - 07:57 AM.

• Nyanko likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#16 Groundking

Groundking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

His personality is a carbon copy of Naruto (Hot-headed, hyper active, idiotic and very loud)

I wanna be the hokage/Wizard King so that everyone will acknowledge me - Aster only had two people in his corner, the prodigy guy and kind of the nun girl, Naruto had Iruka and Hinata. Both had no parents

>inb4 that great wizard king is his dad or grandfather

It's really sad that a mangaka such as this one who got a lot of hype over here in the west for such a good and unique series such as Hungry Joker would stoop so low and ruin most of our expectations by putting out something this cliché....He's even copying FT now with this guild stuff

I'm not saying that this series is bad because it's not and it's an alright read, all I'm saying is that it doesn't deserve all of the hype that it has in Japan. Boku no Hero Academia is a way better series than this and is proof that you don't need to take the most generic shounen elements in order to have a popular manga

BnHA didn't start out anywhere near as generic as this did

Izuku alone breaks the standard shounen male MC cliché

Read chapter 1 of Naruto again. He's a ninja who pretty much sucked at everything only for him to find a forbidden scroll, read it and perform a huge feat such as Multi Kage Bunshins and let it be revealed that he has more chakra than everyone in the village

It doesn't matter if their abilities aren't identical, the concept behind it all is still the same.

Izuku, Ichigo and pretty much every competent shounen lead would like to say hello. It's not a default anything, it's what you call being lazy, it's what is known as pandering to fans, its a bad cliché. It's really hilarious and sad how the mangaka stooped so low and made a freaking carbon copy of Naruto.....Same applies with freaking female tsudere's which are barely done right these days but are freaking EVERYWHERE

Black Clover is okay but no where near as good as its ranking makes it out to be. Out of the 4 new jump series, Kagamigami and UBS are way more unique and just overall better than it is but the sad world we live in today is that nowadays mangaka's are afraid to go outside the generic barrier and just gives us the same old shit over and over.

When the Big 3 eventually ends I don't want a carbon copy of those series. Be more original and come up with something slightly less cliché

I'm gonna laugh if the spinoff for Naruto decreases the ranking in Jump for this lol

Erm, isn't that a trope that has existed way way way before Naruto came about? Like a couple of certain manga's that are the best selling manga's of all time? Granted Kishi took the annoying aspects of the trope and turned it up to 11. But point remains, we've had plenty of hot headed idiotic loud Shonen MC's before Naruto came out. I want to become hokage/wizard king is no different from Luffy wanting to become Pirate King. Once again the trope to become the best whatever is fairly common in Shonen. Again the nobody to superhero is a trope going back to forever, with perhaps the most famous being Star Wars (oh and that has seemingly the same trope of 'parentlessness', until the end of Empire, but for a whole movie there was no foreshadowing towards Luke having a parent that is alive).

Now don't get me wrong, it does get a bit dull seeing the same tropes over and over again, but at the end of the day a lot of the most successful fantasy type pieces of work have at least 1 or 2 of the tropes, most often the nobody to superhero trope finding out they're from this long lost race of super-magicians or have a monstrous amount of magic etc. I don't know why you're slating this for using the same boring old tropes to get of the ground, it could become a lot better further in as the author moves away from these tropes into the proper story. For me this doesn't really feel anything like Naruto, and if you're going to critisize it for being a carbon copy of Naruto you need to slate Naruto for using the same tropes (and honestly Naruto deserves slating due to how crap it became, and I'm one of the few that never thought it was particularly amazing from the start and missed a lot of opportunities to enrich the manga). Anyway I agree that it shouldn't be getting the hype in Japan over UBS or Kagamigami, at the end of the day you should be criticizing the audience more than the manga, especially if you're criticizing it for being a carbon copy of a manga that really doesn't do a great deal that's new if anything at all.

Anyway, onto the latest chapter

Interesting that we've already been shown the current Sorcery Emperor, I wasn't expecting to be shown that until a fair bit later after a bit more world building and hyping, but oh well I quite like it. Especially interesting he called the mc a candidate, candidate for what? One would assume the SE position, but why would the SE want to give up his title?

#17 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

Jump had a better translation for this Chapter.

SE was talking about the abnormal situation, and was think of having Asta for that mission due to his magic null.

#18 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

Erm, isn't that a trope that has existed way way way before Naruto came about? Like a couple of certain manga's that are the best selling manga's of all time? Granted Kishi took the annoying aspects of the trope and turned it up to 11. But point remains, we've had plenty of hot headed idiotic loud Shonen MC's before Naruto came out. I want to become hokage/wizard king is no different from Luffy wanting to become Pirate King. Once again the trope to become the best whatever is fairly common in Shonen. Again the nobody to superhero is a trope going back to forever, with perhaps the most famous being Star Wars (oh and that has seemingly the same trope of 'parentlessness', until the end of Empire, but for a whole movie there was no foreshadowing towards Luke having a parent that is alive).

Now don't get me wrong, it does get a bit dull seeing the same tropes over and over again, but at the end of the day a lot of the most successful fantasy type pieces of work have at least 1 or 2 of the tropes, most often the nobody to superhero trope finding out they're from this long lost race of super-magicians or have a monstrous amount of magic etc. I don't know why you're slating this for using the same boring old tropes to get of the ground, it could become a lot better further in as the author moves away from these tropes into the proper story. For me this doesn't really feel anything like Naruto, and if you're going to critisize it for being a carbon copy of Naruto you need to slate Naruto for using the same tropes (and honestly Naruto deserves slating due to how crap it became, and I'm one of the few that never thought it was particularly amazing from the start and missed a lot of opportunities to enrich the manga). Anyway I agree that it shouldn't be getting the hype in Japan over UBS or Kagamigami, at the end of the day you should be criticizing the audience more than the manga, especially if you're criticizing it for being a carbon copy of a manga that really doesn't do a great deal that's new if anything at all.

Anyway, onto the latest chapter

Interesting that we've already been shown the current Sorcery Emperor, I wasn't expecting to be shown that until a fair bit later after a bit more world building and hyping, but oh well I quite like it. Especially interesting he called the mc a candidate, candidate for what? One would assume the SE position, but why would the SE want to give up his title?

All I'm saying is that I'm disappointed that the managaka decided to take the easy way out and made this series oozing with clichés

But, it could be worse and imo is okay so I'm not gonna drop the series....However I'm more interested in the best friend rather than Aster

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#19 Blink22

Blink22

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

So I just read chapter 11 that came out on ESJ today. Not only did we take some ideas from the other Kishimoto two chapters ago but it looks like we are in Magi territory now. Tabata has checked another one off his list. Who will be next?

Edited by Blink22, 27 April 2015 - 02:34 PM.

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%2525

"Next time, I'll protect you Kite"

#20 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

What I want to know is when will all this borrowing end :lmao:

Edited by Tokoya, 27 April 2015 - 03:26 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users