94 replies to this topic

#61 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

"Why do you always pay such close attention to your watch?"

http://68.media.tumblr.com/9a94334fb56e7...

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/3...

This boy Light though! I'd honestly forgetten just how ruthless this scene really is. Excellent example of his ability to think quickly on his feet, to improvise, and to manipulate people all rolled up into one. This is by far one of the coldest moments in the show! Dude looks Ray Penbder's fiance right in her eyes as he reveals who he is, knowing she can't do anything about it because he just wrote her name in the Death Note, forcing her to go commit suicide. Cold as ice!

Its one of the best and worst death note moment. I was literally on the edge of my seat due to the sheer suspense and intensity. I also hate that scene because the creators literally stated that she was meant to be a main character. I absolutely loved her design. She was really beautiful, strong, determined, and intelligent. Unfortunately, she had to go cause she was too smart for her own good and the series' success. L and Naomi would have made an awesome duo and its even more frustrating when Another Note shows how well these characters work together. I think she was the only memorable likable female character cause Misa and Kiyumi were such despicable human beings . Such a waste of potential.

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 03 March 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#62 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

There is plenty of complaining.

Have you been on Twitter latley?

Every article I see only comments on "whitewashing"

Twitter is a dying platform, I don't take it seriously

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#63 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Its one of the best and worst death note moment. I was literally on the edge of my seat due to the sheer suspense and intensity. I also hate that scene because the creators literally stated that she was meant to be a main character. I absolutely loved her design. She was really beautiful, strong, determined, and intelligent. Unfortunately, she had to go cause she was too smart for her own good and the series' success. L and Naomi would have made an awesome duo and its even more frustrating when Another Note shows how well these characters work together. I think she was the only memorable likable female character cause Misa and Kiyumi were such despicable cunts. Such a waste of potential.

As far as major likeable female characters go, absolutely. Light's mother and sister are generally likeable, but they're also undeveloped, playing little part in the overall story. There's really no reason for you to like them other than the fact that they're regular people who aren't terrible. I've never read Another Note, but i've heard all about how she was supposed to be a main character. It would have been nice to see her and L team up, but I can also see why the author wrote her out. She was simply too competent and pairing her with L might have proved to be too great of a challenge, in the event that one wasn't nerfed. That being said, I at least like that she was portrayed as competent before her death and that she really had Light scrambling to think of a way to stop her within a limited span of time.

Going to be taking a break from this re-watch to go marathon Iron Fist, but i've gotten up to the point of L's death.

tumblr_mjs7twCuaD1s2xq89o1_500.gif

The first half of Death Note is a masterpiece.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#64 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,398 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

Going to be taking a break from this re-watch to go marathon Iron Fist, but i've gotten up to the point of L's death.
The second half of Death Note doesn't exist
  • Ace1225, trafalgarlawisop and Grimmjagger like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#65 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

There is plenty of complaining.

Have you been on Twitter latley?

Probably no where near as much butthurt as there was about ScarJo as the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

But at the risk of stirring things up, Light doesn't look all that asian to me.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#66 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:07 AM

Probably no where near as much butthurt as there was about ScarJo as the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

But at the risk of stirring things up, Light doesn't look all that asian to me.

Death Note is one where you could really make the idea of him being white work.

You just act like it is a different character. If shinigami realistically existed they wouldn't be only in Japan after all.

#67 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

I just hope they don't butcher the movie like they did with other anime to life action adaptions.

Ghost in the Shell was pretty decent, imo. And it had the same "white washing" controversy.

• Tokoya likes this

#68 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:37 AM

the way I see it, they already aced the casting of Ryuk by having Willem Dafoe voice him

• Tokoya likes this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#69 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

As far as major likeable female characters go, absolutely. Light's mother and sister are generally likeable, but they're also undeveloped, playing little part in the overall story. There's really no reason for you to like them other than the fact that they're regular people who aren't terrible. I've never read Another Note, but i've heard all about how she was supposed to be a main character. It would have been nice to see her and L team up, but I can also see why the author wrote her out. She was simply too competent and pairing her with L might have proved to be too great of a challenge, in the event that one wasn't nerfed. That being said, I at least like that she was portrayed as competent before her death and that she really had Light scrambling to think of a way to stop her within a limited span of time.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/18a2629959beb...

The first half of Death Note is a masterpiece.

That's why I did not mention them but the live action film did a good job to show their reactions when Kira too Light away from them. It was surprisingly touching. L Linder kinda looked like an american version of Naomi but she was not as interesting, driven, and developed.

You can read the novel there.

http://dn-anothernot...05/page-01.html

I know she was too competent but Kira could have had the higher ground by using the Death Note as blackmail to manipulate high ranking officials in power to try to beat L and Naomi. The fear of death is literally enough to get what he wants. I think the authors pretty such said through Bakuman that a story really needs a female presence otherwise it would feel a bit empty. I think the task force members were really bland (apart from Matsuda) and felt like supporting characters. At least, she was competent but its really too bad because the way she talked about L was really intriguing cause she really seemed to have a profound admiration for him. Seeing them together would have been like  a mature woman taking care of an overgrown genius child. Instant chemistry !

The first half did have some issues like the whole corporate douches part felt really long and not interesting. The authors implied in Bakuman that they never intended part 2 and both rivals were supposed to die at the same time and that adding another copy rival would feel cheap and uninteresting.

#70 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

Did they do that categorically or because they didn't like any of them?

I would definitely incline to the latter. 

It just seems to happen to them consistently across the US entertainment industry... especially the men.

https://www.reddit.c..._asian_guys_on/

If it was black men, the guy would have lost his job and become a national pariah. He is not even hiding himself !

You probably remember Han from Fast and Furious (a fan favorite of the franchise with a lot of female admirers).

Before, someone uses the its a fictional story bs argument. They even do that to real life figures.

https://en.wikipedia...ing_controversy

Can you imagine the shitstorm on the news if it was a real life intelligent black student who cleverly fooled a powerful corrupted system was replaced by a white man ?

The point is that Hollywood clearly doesn't want to give them any positive roles and really seems to hate them (based on their actions) while gloating itself as some kind of moral standards. The issue is the double standards and hypocrisy behind their actions.

@ddboy102

As a basketball fan, They even did the same crap to Jeremy Lin and we have official proofs.

https://www.reddit.c...in_is_the_15th/

The guy is literally an anime character cross with classic underdog story with no plot armor. He literally is a Luffy one in a million luck to be even there. He is so lovable and always credits his teammates, and even takes the blame instead of hogging the attention and throwing his coach and teammates under the bus. 

#71 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

The second half of Death Note doesn't exist

The 2006 Japanese films correct that issue. I can even say that I personally consider the ending of the live action to be canon in my mind and to be the true ending of Death Note. If the authors could have ended the way they wanted it definitely would have been like in the films.

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 01 June 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#72 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#73 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,398 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

I didn't really feel any type of way about the first trailer other than thinking that it was cool to have a black L and a Ryuk played by Will DeFoe, but this trailer sold me.....That actually looked pretty fun to watch

Edited by Tokoya, 29 June 2017 - 12:27 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#74 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

I usually don't watch American adaptation on mangas but I think this looks pretty good tbh
  • secretzfan likes this

#75 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

The trailer doesn't look bad, but Hollywood is really good at making trailer, even for shitty movies. I hope they try to create something "new", because they can't possibly do the fans justice and give them what they want. There is too much to cram into one movie. Just keep the major plot points and find new ways how to get there.

But this is a movie and not a series, right?

#76 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

A analysis

https://youtu.be/EFOsGzUtihw
  • Gobi Todic likes this

#77 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

A analysis

https://youtu.be/EFOsGzUtihw

Ok, there are quite a few points that could go wrong, but this raised my hopes overall.
Going full in with the adapted american setting seems good. I'm surprised how little I got out of the trailer by myself and how much you could get out of it.

#78 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,398 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#79 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Reviews are not looking great so far. Apparently, the filmmakers thought they were making a final destination film... e1ClrR8.png

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 25 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#80 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

The deaths did remind me of Final Destination and were too convoluted.

The problem with this, as with any adaptation, is that you can't put 108 chapter or 37 episodes into a 90-minute movie. So they have to change something, cut some things out. Personally I feel they should just take the general idea and characters and do their own spin on it, take it into a different direction, so you still feel surprised by it. They did all that and I don't feel like there were some major issues, but it didn't feel thrilling. I can't really put my finger on whats bothering me. Except for Ryuk, who looks good in general, but was too close to the uncanny valley. I'm unsure of what to make out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users