secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I'm seeing it after work.

Will post my thoughts. I'm not really worried about reviews. This is with Netflix so I'm not paying a extra charge to see it.

#82 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

After watching this movie you know what I found it not half bad. I thought the journey to the ending had some bumps in the road, but at the end I cam out pretty happy with the experience. I am actually going to compare this movie to Ghost in the Shell.

See Ghost in the Shell had two major issues. It tried to deal with the complex ideas brought on by the anime and completely fell flat and while it tried its hardest to be true to the source material in the end it probably would of been best if it tried to move past the source material and be its own thing. Death Note on the other hand throws away the psychological battle between Light and L and instead takes a different direction.   Which I found was probably for the best. 

The movie does however create a relationship between Light and Mia that when you watch it you find it to be quite a weak relationship that doesn't seem to be rooted in much at all. In fact throughout the movie you feel like that there is no way these two are really in love, but that what kinda makes the ending so brilliant. Yup honestly if it wasn't for the way the film ended I probably would feel like the movie was ehh..ok at best. 

I think I probably had the most issue with the character of Light Turner. He defiantly wasn't the smart kid I thought he would be from the anime and instead seemed like a emo and depressed kid with a weird superiority complex. That being said I thought Nat Wolfe's performance did a decent job pulling if off. Actually all the acting in the film I found to be pretty decent imo. 

I also thought the characterization of L was also pretty great and pretty interesting too. 

Also I looooovveed Ryuk. OMG was Ryuk. I could just gush over those parts all days. They made me squee.

However I found that one legitimate problem that the film has is pacing. The movie just moves waayy to fast. It doesn't ever even once try to focus on a moment of character to get us really attached to one. To the point I thought if Light and Mia died I probably wouldn't care that much cause I feel like I didn't know them well enough. 

Also the song choices were terrible. I mean god awful.

The entire first half is also all over the place. It was a real mess of a first act and made it hard to get through, but once you push pass those first few minutes you will find something that is pretty decent. Not great, but not bad. 

6/10

Edit: BTW I know this is obvious but this is no where as good as the anime. Obvious but I had to make that clear that I also thought that way. 

Edited by secretzfan, 26 August 2017 - 01:04 AM.

#83 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

As I've stated before, this movie is an American Adaptation of the franchise so if anyone was expecting it to be THAT similar to the original or a carbon copy then I dunno what to say to you (And as expected, a lot of the anime community and the diehard Death Note are complaining for this very reason because in this day and age, nobody understands the many different types of literary adpatations)

But be that as it may, I thought that this film did a good job for what it was trying to be and that is a what if scenario for what would happen if an American adolescent (I'd go as far as to just say a Millennial in the western world) was to get a Death Note and imo even though I think that most wouldn't go along with it, in the special case that someone does (And especially someone with the circumstances of our main lead) this is something that is pretty believable if you ask me

My only issue with this film is that I wish that it was more intellectual and also, I'm kinda bugged out that the ending was THAT open since there's a very good chance that we won't get a continuation for this so with that in mind, I would have wanted a regular ending but with just enough room to suggest that there COULD be a continuation but there won't really need to be one

But as for what I liked about this film

Spoiler

Overall, this film doesn't hold a candle to the anime (Well, the first half that is, since the second half minus the ending is horseshit) but as I said before I didn't expect it to (And neither should everyone else) and as an American Adaptation, it managed to hit the right notes to make it into something enjoyable to watch, and for that, I'll give it a 7/10.....This would have been better as a 13 episode series though (Mainly because of pacing issues and the lack of depth into the 400 killings)

The entire first half is also all over the place. It was a real mess of a first act and made it hard to get through, but once you push pass those first few minutes you will find something that is pretty decent. Not great, but not bad.

The editing in the first 10 minutes were a mess, that much I'd agree with.....I dunno why they decided to transition between scenes like that

And I disagree with the labelling of Light Turner as "emo" since he was neither depressed, suicidal or even that moody.....He literally was just a normal dude just getting by and just because you stick to yourself, that doesn't mean that you're some irrational school shooter in the making that wants to kill themselves and hates everything lol

The guy had a legitimate reason to be disappointed in his dad and how the situation surrounding him getting bodied by that dickhead in the beginning was handled (And even then, with the latter, the guy just said fuck it through it all and moved on lol, which was pretty chill).....Even when he became Kira, its only natural for anyone that isn't a complete murderous psychopath to be a bit worried and unsettled when a super detective is slowly and surely gonna figure you out or when innocents get involved

Edited by Tokoya, 26 August 2017 - 02:14 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#84 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

As I've stated before, this movie is an American Adaptation of the franchise so if anyone was expecting it to be THAT similar to the original or a carbon copy then I dunno what to say to you (And as expected, a lot of the anime community and the diehard Death Note are complaining for this very reason because in this day and age, nobody understands the many different types of literary adpatations)

But be that as it may, I thought that this film did a good job for what it was trying to be and that is a what if scenario for what would happen if an American adolescent (I'd go as far as to just say a Millennial in the western world) was to get a Death Note and imo even though I think that most wouldn't go along with it, in the special case that someone does (And especially someone with the circumstances of our main lead) this is something that is pretty believable if you ask me

My only issue with this film is that I wish that it was more intellectual and also, I'm kinda bugged out that the ending was THAT open since there's a very good chance that we won't get a continuation for this so with that in mind, I would have wanted a regular ending but with just enough room to suggest that there COULD be a continuation but there won't really need to be one

Eh personally I don't need a continuation for this. There been some reports about making this some franchise, but honestly unless they had different characters with different beliefs I don't think I'd care to see Light Turner again. 

Im still going back and forth about my overall feelings for the film in my head. I keep ranging from 4 to 5 to 6. The ending was so strong it made me want to give it a 6, but the more I think about Im not so sure. 

I think the film just needed more time. I don't see why they didn't make 2 hours honestly.  Your on Netflix they should of easily been able to make it 2 hours and a few minutes.  

Edited by secretzfan, 26 August 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#85 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Eh personally I don't need a continuation for this. There been some reports about making this some franchise, but honestly unless they had different characters with different beliefs I don't think I'd care to see Light Turner again.

Im still going back and forth about my overall feelings for the film in my head. I keep ranging from 4 to 5 to 6. The ending was so strong it made me want to give it a 6, but the more I think about Im not so sure.

I think the film just needed more time. I don't see why they didn't make 2 hours honestly. Your on Netflix they should of easily been able to make it 2 hours and a few minutes.

I only want a sequel because ending didn't satisfy me because of how they left things super opened

How they got there was awesome but I want a more satisfying conclusion like with the first half of the anime (I've said this before but the second half of the anime doesn't exist :) besides the ending)

Edited by Tokoya, 26 August 2017 - 04:09 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#86 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

I only want a sequel because ending didn't satisfy me because of how they left things super opened

How they got there was awesome but I want a more satisfying conclusion like with the first half of the anime (I've said this before but the second half of the anime doesn't exist :) besides the ending)

I thought that was the most genius thing they did. The choice to leave it open ended I found to be quite smart and probably was the part that felt the most like the anime. It was interesting

#87 Kurapika

Kurapika

The Chain Bastard

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationHiatus Town

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

So my nephew wanted to watch the DN movie with me. I hate the original story so damn much and begrudgingly watched the movie with him.

It was pretty dang bad but at least better than the original story I guess. Dafoe was good but severely underused.

• secretzfan likes this

#88 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

He actually never watched the original anime and makes a lot of good points.

#89 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

He actually never watched the original anime and makes a lot of good points.

Campea did too. I think after listening to 200 something reviewers I think Im going to call this movie a "rushed mixed bag of both good and bad" 

I think Im just going to land in the middle with 5 out of 10. It was just such a weird and strange experience.And it just really hard to follow just as a movie. 

Edited by secretzfan, 27 August 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#90 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

problems with this movie.

1. needs to be longer

2. give a reason for mai to want to kill bad people so badly.

3. give a reason why ryuk was evil

4. mai and light should have been in a relationship before light discover the death note.(hey i just found something that can kill people. I am going to tell this random girl what i just found.)

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#91 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

Welp. That was A LOT better than I thought it would be. I actually really like how it wasn't just a basic retelling of the anime. They did their own thing at pretty much every turn.

Spoiler

• Tokoya and secretzfan like this

#92 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Campea did too. I think after listening to 200 something reviewers I think Im going to call this movie a "rushed mixed bag of both good and bad" 

I think Im just going to land in the middle with 5 out of 10. It was just such a weird and strange experience.And it just really hard to follow just as a movie. 

I think its interesting that Jeremy Jahns thinks that the netflix film would have been a dark cult hit if it focused more on the detective or investigating part which is exactly what the original Death Note was about. The authors (implied in Bakuman) literally aimed for a dark cult classic manga that people would remember. 

#93 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

I think its interesting that Jeremy Jahns thinks that the netflix film would have been a dark cult hit if it focused more on the detective or investigating part which is exactly what the original Death Note was about. The authors (implied in Bakuman) literally aimed for a dark cult classic manga that people would remember.

I liked the part where he mentioned the idea of it not being a kid in High school and being a down on his luck man.

#94 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

I liked the part where he mentioned the idea of it not being a kid in High school and being a down on his luck man.

i think it had to be a kid, because only a kid would think he could change the world by killing evil people. An adult that is down on his luck should kill because of revenge and/or to get ahead in life.

• trafalgarlawisop likes this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#95 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Correct that was clearly the authors' intentions  :thumbup:

6.jpg

• secretzfan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic