Photo

[Miscellaneous] Rants on the Decline of Naruto (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
988 replies to this topic

#981 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Do you want the obvious answer or do you want me to try to rationalize Kishi's icky chauvinism

Hmm...

tumblr_nhb62nxbqc1u4k4ceo1_400.gif

#982 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, contemplating life.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Does anyone else have trouble looking back on this after being woke?

Yeah. Looking back on it. There was some good, but too much went south overall. 

Always a shame to see something with so much potential be wasted.

I haven't payed attention to Naruto in ages but rereading/catching up on it and realizing how bad the politics are, I can't even get hype anymore. I just get stressed out.

Politics of the Naruto world have been a very weak point. Even more so the World Building. 

Seeing as how the snakes and the frogs both knew of sage chakra, and were able to pass it down to someone or got them to teach someone else, why didn't the slugs bother to teach Tsunade or Sakura? You'd think that being the healing animal would enable you to harness nature chakra.

Plot and Kishi don't like females that much. 

#983 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:25 PM

the plot focused so much on him

I disagree Naruto pretty much hijacked the entire story after gaining his lightbulb suit so it was pretty even between Naruto and Sasuke.

Plus the plot was more interesting when it focused on Sasuke. 

With Naruto we got lame ass scenes of him trying to figure out of an shrew was a boy or girl.

I never understood why fans constantly voted him at number one or two in part 2... 

super bishonen 

• JDG973 likes this

The wedding is back on, Go here to RSVP Here

PS Chillman isn't allowed to RSVP he has to sit in the back.

tumblr_ofiqs3LgoT1ttuk3wo8_400.gif

#984 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

figure out of an shrew

Come again?

#985 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:36 PM

Come again?

when he was on that island with B and Tenzo trying to take a peek at that shrew/armadillo  to see if it was a boy or girl.

The wedding is back on, Go here to RSVP Here

PS Chillman isn't allowed to RSVP he has to sit in the back.

tumblr_ofiqs3LgoT1ttuk3wo8_400.gif

#986 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:40 PM

when he was on that island with B and Tenzo trying to take a peek at that shrew/armadillo  to see if it was a boy or girl.

Oh okay. 

Yeah that was incredibly dumb. 

#987 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

https://ourinkedobse...-sasuke-uchiha/

Truer words have been rarely spoken... A rare glimpse of light in a world filled with Narutar... I mean darkness !

While I agree in some things he/she says, I feel the need to point out I nowhere agree with him saying Sasuke was a bad character from point 0.

He was a prick, only concentrated on his hatred and thinking he was the best, but on the best arcs of this manga we could se how he slowly was developing. Remember Zabuza arc? The protecting Naruto situation. Then we have a more normal Sasuke in the begining of the chunin exam arc, but the Orochimaru problem comes and he goes out of the picture until he reappears against Gaara without us really seeing too much from him. And suddenly, we see his turning into a more normal kid to say it in some way wasn't that true, as he ends up following the evil guy just to seek power for revenge.

Till this point everyrhing looks perfect to me. He's a prick who is turning onto being a more likeable guy but then suddenly he changes his mind. Now, this does make a weird and interesting evil guy, but not a badly written one.

The real problem comes in Part 2, when appart from being an asshole he starts being a feelingless and expressionless character... It feels like he lost his personality, which wasn't likeable, but at least was interesting, so the new lame attitude plus him not being a likeable guy makes it feel hateable, and turns this character into the on. the guy you linked said, a black hole of lameness who sucks logic and fun from the ones surrounding him.

Now, I still had hope for this guy, and that moment came when the battle vs Itachi came! I was waiting to see what would happen to this guy when he beat Itachi, and realized his life was then empty, as he sacrificed everything for that goal, and I thought that would be his "snap!" factor. And then we get the real story of Itachi's sacrifice! Sasuke realizes he's sacrificed EVERYTHING for a revenge against someone who did what he did to protect HIM (in a debatable way, of course). I saw him break. I felt it. That last pannel with him crying made me 100% sure about it. He snapped, now Kishi was gonna guide his emotions and development towards another interesti.g and new goal.

But oh hell no...

He wants
to destroy
Konoha...

That point, to me, was the point where Naruto went the wrong path, as Sasuke's character, obviously an important one (even co-main character) could've followed an interesting and new path for any character ever in manga, but he just went the lame and feelingless way.

From that point onward everything went down. Then Naruto mastered Talk No jutsu, we found out every villain turned good and nobody died, the thing went fucking up to the top towards the Final War (Then I prayed to this new agent of chaos called Madara to kill as many people as possible and enjoyed that part a little more), and then the final "Badum-Ts" of shitloads of bullcrap came with the final villain being someone we just met...

(And even after that people felt bad for some. pairings in the manga!! :lmao: I'll never get how people could get so upset for THAT after all we've all been through :D )
  • Ace1225 and trafalgarlawisop like this

"You can't take the King Marco_by_Kanomaru.gifon your first turn!!"

FoundeothTrafalgaLafan-clu-----> :aww: 

#988 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

https://ourinkedobse...-sasuke-uchiha/

Truer words have been rarely spoken... A rare glimpse of light in a world filled with Narutar... I mean darkness !

Opinions really are some of the most amazing things to exist in this world of ours. I find it astounding how two people (Myself and the author of this article) can have the same basic opinion towards a character, but for completely different reasons. For one thing, I think the author places too much blame on Sasuke, in place of Naruto. The argument seems to be that characters like Sakura failed to get development because of the increased focus that was placed on Sasuke and his story as time went on. This is true and i've certainly complained about it before, but the same exact thing could be said about Naruto. I've said it before and i'll say it again, the purpose of a story isn't for a main character to recieve all the attention and development and for all the side characters to be tossed to the wayside. Harry Potter is a common example I use, not because it's the best story ever, but because it, just like Naruto, gives you 1 main character, followed by 2 lesser main characters from the jump. Yet, also unlike Naruto, Ron and Hermione develop right alongside Harry every step of the way, with the group also developing as a unit. Harry gets his arc, Ron gets his arc, Hermione gets her arc, and all 3 of them then have unique, fully developed relationships with one another. Team 7 doesn't have any of this and never has. Returning to Sasuke, I then think it's just biased to lay all the fault for this at his feet, as if not focusing on him so much would have automatically made room for Sakura. Because there were times where Sakura was appearing alongside Naruto, while Sasuke was off doing something outside of the village, but Naruto was developing and Sakura wasn't. So I think the author is wrong on this point.

In just about every event Sasuke is in with her, she becomes almost useless

Same holds true for Naruto guy and statistically, she's with Naruto for more of the series than she is Sasuke.

Next, Sasuke himself never develops as a character. Wrong, completely wrong. You might not like who he is as a character, who he grows into as a character, and who he ends up as as a character, but Sasuke honestly changed more over the course of the story than any member of the Rookies. This includes Naruto. He goes from a stoic, antisocial character focused on revenge, slowly starts to come out of his shell, is thrust back into revenge, but deeper in it than ever, matures over the timeskip, kills his brother and falls off the cliff into insanity, falls ever deeper into insanity, begins to come back when he runs into Itachi again, forms his dream of the ideal village/Hokage, plotting to take over the world, and is then shown the error of his ways, after which he develops again. Honestly, you could write a thesis for college on the development of Sasuke Uchiha's character. Again, you might not like any of it, but saying he never develops is false. Sasuke at the start of the series is a different person from the guy who tried to kill Karin, who is then different from the guy who says he'll kill all of the Kage. There are naturally similarities across the board, but the character does change. I feel like saying he hasn't changed requires you to zero in on one specific aspect of the character and nothing else, which the author clearly does:

As a young boy, Sasuke admits to Kakashi that he won't be satisfied until he gets revenge. As a young adult, he says he won't be satisfied until he gets revenge.

If this is all you're going on then Naruto doesn't change either. As a young boy, Naruto admits he wants to become Hokage. As a young adult, Naruto admits he wants to become Hokage. Having one desire at one age and the same desire at another age does not, in any world, mean you haven't changed as a person. For one thing, the reasons for why you desire that thing can vary across the years, as can the specific desire itself. Sasuke goes from wanting revenge on Itachi for killing his clan, discovers the tragic history of his clan and then attempts to seek revenge for Itachi, then moves towards seeing the entire world as screwed up and wants to take complete control of it. Revenge remains a constant focus for him, because its one of the core pillars his character is built around (In the same way that Naruto is built around never giving up and all that), but the reasons for the revenge shift over the course of the story. By the end of it I wouldn't even say he's looking for revenge specifically anymore. 

So while I agree with some of what the author says, I think he's heavily biased towards his hate for the character. Never having read more of his (or her) work however, I can't be sure. Again, there are constants in Sasuke's character. There are constants in most characters, because you need constants to develop characters around, but he isn't the exact same person from Ch 3 to Ch 600. Hell, not even Sakura is exactly the same and I don't like her anymore than I do Sasuke.

Edited by Ace1225, 26 October 2016 - 10:16 PM.

• Madara D Dragon likes this

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#989 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

One constant I will give to Sasuke is that he always been an unlikable, selfish asshole.

That core aspect about him hasn't really changed that much since from when he was first introduced in the manga to his approach now in the Boruto spinoff.

Sure he may have taken Boruto along to search for Naruto,but he doesn't bother taking his own daughter along. Let alone be bothered to contact his goddamned family for ages before he decided to take Boruto as a pupil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users