624 replies to this topic

#621 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Not much to say about the ending. It was just an ordinary fight sequence after another without any kind of stakes. I actually give endings a lot of importance when I rate a series, and this was honestly pretty bad, compared to the rest of the season, and even the previous season. Hell, I think I would've liked it more if it had ended last week with a cliffhanger.

samisig.jpg

#622 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,488 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Well, it's not a stand-alone so it's supposed to be like this and continues in season 3 if there is one (given the two new characters at the end I guess it's possible. Edit: well, it's confirmed). What happened this week we already know last week. Momon beats Demiurge and gains fame. Done. The bad things about this episode lie in different areas for me: Momon vs Jadalbaoh and the art.

-The fight's choreography is really meh. Hell, Evileye vs Yuri and Delta is actually much better.

-And by art I mean the faces of the characters are terribly drawn in many instances and quite obvious (Normally you can sort of hide them by fast movement so audiences would not notice (though decent eyes would detect anw) but here they have these frames in still or talking). Maybe Overlord is already famous so they feel they can take a breath at the last minute or just rushed schedule? Madhouse does have another series in the same season which is A Place Further Than Universe so maybe they focus more on that original show...

With season 3 I guess we will finish vol 9-10?

Edited by Fulmine, 03 April 2018 - 02:55 PM.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#623 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Watched this last month and i'm honestly mad that no one either here or anywhere else recommended this series to me. It's fantastic. THIS is what an anime featuring a character stuck in a video game style world should be. This blows any other anime with this premise out of the water. One thing that had me hooked from the jump is how little is known about what's going on. It seems like a small issue (Whereas something like SAO made the reason that the character was stuck in the game a major plot point), but it really works to the series benefit. Our "hero" thinks about it every now and again, but the actual reveal to it doesn't even happen near him for him to learn about it. It's through a side character who shows up like twice. Instead, we get to really focus on the uniqueness of the situation, while the "rules" of the New World are properly fleshed out and explained to us, as are the ways in which the previous video game run. I feel like this series really uses the premise to its full potential due to doing away with all of the human characters that SAO had and instead having one human from the real world (Stuck in a monster's body however) surrounded by NPC's who are then given there own personalities. After that, all the other characters are basically just characters in a video game (I know the New World isn't technically a video game, but i'm saying that it may as well be for the situation). This allows us to focus more on the "game" and less on the plight of the trapped character, who instead just gets involved, sets out learning about the world and teaching us more about it, and eventually decides to conquer it. To me, this is more like what the average gamer would do were he/she in this situation.

I can't wait for Season 3, because the first 2 aren't nearly enough to satisfy me. Even the fights that are one-sided can still be pretty interesting to watch, such as the Cocytus vs the Lizardmen.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#624 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

Wait... someone actually mentioned why he got caught in a different world? Either I completely missed it, or it has been far too long. since season 1. Probably both.

I'll be honest. I don't share this hatred of SAO. I actually loved episode 1 of that series a lot. If I don't like it now, it's because it quickly devolved into harem shenanigans, and what was originally a short story with a few flaws became some sort of sappy power fantasy. Of course, that was just season 1... I don't know what became of it afterwards.

As for other series with the same premise... I liked Log Horizon quite a bit. Probably more than Overlord overall. It just feels like a lot more thought was put into it. Grimgar was also pretty fun, although the anime was easily better than the novels. I like Overlord, I really do... but I think it's only because it feels like it's always building up to something more interesting that what it actually is. It's difficult to explain. I like the dialogue a lot, though.

samisig.jpg

#625 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Wait... someone actually mentioned why he got caught in a different world? Either I completely missed it, or it has been far too long. since season 1. Probably both.

I'll be honest. I don't share this hatred of SAO. I actually loved episode 1 of that series a lot. If I don't like it now, it's because it quickly devolved into harem shenanigans, and what was originally a short story with a few flaws became some sort of sappy power fantasy. Of course, that was just season 1... I don't know what became of it afterwards.

As for other series with the same premise... I liked Log Horizon quite a bit. Probably more than Overlord overall. It just feels like a lot more thought was put into it. Grimgar was also pretty fun, although the anime was easily better than the novels. I like Overlord, I really do... but I think it's only because it feels like it's always building up to something more interesting that what it actually is. It's difficult to explain. I like the dialogue a lot, though.

Unlike most people I hated SAO because of the way the LN was written. So, i saw the first episode of SAO and fell in love with the idea and went online to read the novel. This is how the author wrote SAO. In Volume 1. We get the 1st floor, 20nd floor, the last floor they did and it was over. SAO was over in the first volume everything that happen in between was written after.

The reason overlord was trap was because he stay in the game after the countdown was over.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users