• Please log in to reply
2782 replies to this topic

#2781 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

This is most likely the case, as I've told you before when you've stated "there's no need to get them all". They don't make a beautiful perfect cross, so not even 3 points are enough, because you don't know which 2 of those 3 form a line and witch one is the dot that is connected with the unknown 4th point. Try and draw 3 dots on a paper, you'll see that depending on when you add the 4th point the possibilities are nearly endless.

Add to that that this is not just a sea with islands, it's a world cut in half by a long piece of land who can only be crossed through specific points (Red Line), and cut in half by a sea which is nearly impossible to navigate through (Calm belt). Therefore, even if you had an idea, it would be impossible to walk a line between two islands straight, as these lines could (and most likely will) cross either the red line or the calm belt. And you don't want to just skip those points either because who knows, Laughtale could be in the Calm belt or on/under the red line. Therefore... yes you need the 4 of them to work it out.

I am sorry I think I see the problem here. For the longest time I have been assuming there is the name of an island and the direction. Now if you know anything about maps (why would you? Why would I? Dont ask...) you know there is a simple technic called intersection. You get two known points and find the direction to an unknown point from the two known points and you have the coordinates to that unknown point.
So I understood oda to be saying "the road poneglyphs give an island and direction to laugh tale"
So my mind went to intersection. My first thought was "well shit, I only need 2 known points and directions. Maybe 3 because this is the NW and navigation is supposed to be hard..."

So what you are saying is that there is no direction at all? And the red stones just give you 4 islands and you have to do some math to figure out where the center of them is?

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#2782 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:52 AM

I am sorry I think I see the problem here. For the longest time I have been assuming there is the name of an island and the direction. Now if you know anything about maps (why would you? Why would I? Dont ask...) you know there is a simple technic called intersection. You get two known points and find the direction to an unknown point from the two known points and you have the coordinates to that unknown point.
So I understood oda to be saying "the road poneglyphs give an island and direction to laugh tale"
So my mind went to intersection. My first thought was "well shit, I only need 2 known points and directions. Maybe 3 because this is the NW and navigation is supposed to be hard..."

So what you are saying is that there is no direction at all? And the red stones just give you 4 islands and you have to do some math to figure out where the center of them is?

Exactly,that is the most logical thing I could think of to give sense to the 4 being needed. At first I thought they would give an island name each but given how maps aren't supposed to be a thing in the OP world, I guess it would work better if each one marked a spot in the map with coordinates. Sort of like a high schiol maths problem where they give you point coordinates on a plane and you have to find the midle point.

Another possible problem could be that the world is actually spherical (I mean the OP one, ours is obviously flat), therefore 4 points could have a second crossing point if you do the lines towards "the other side" of the world. But if they are given 4 coordinates then there's only one middle point, as math doesn't account for the plane where the points are being a sphere (unless you add that to the calculation and make it stupidly complicated).

But again, at the end of the day we have no idea and my guess is as good as yours, so we have no other option than waiting and seeing. My only point was: it's too early to complain about that, there's ways it can make sense.

"You can't take the King Marco_by_Kanomaru.gifon your first turn!!"

FoundeothTrafalgaLafan-clu-----> :aww: 

#2783 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:34 AM

The barrier fruit safes Orochi...lol!

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users