Photo

Should hunting be illegal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#1 Miss.J

Miss.J

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Based on the recent story of the dentist killing an endangered protected lion by luring it away from protected grounds, do you think hunting should be illegal? 

If not, what about big game hunting? 

"sabo is not alive, this is some kind of trick" captian kidd

Spoiler

#2 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

Not really a fan of hunting to be quite honest. Though I do understand the purpose of it, so long as it's the type of hunting for food and not trophies (of which is the why the lion was killed, among many other creatures from poaching activities).

Though even hunting for food tends to irk me a bit. Due to how people go about it. Such as when people show no respect or honor for the life they took, and instead go about dancing an whatever, once they sate their blood lust. Seeing that, has always bothered me, and made me think of punching those people.

The worst of it is, of course the trophy hunting. There's no respect or honor PERIOD. An it makes me sick when I see people kill an animal for "sport", and take only the trophies of the kill and let everything else (the meat) go to waste. Cause when people do that, it just makes the point of killing the animal ... well pointless.

Another problem with trophy hunting, is that they kill just about anything, without any regard for the ecosystem the animal is a part of. That and they don't give a damn about anything, even after they wipe it clear from the face of the earth.

Also like to add that while not trophy hunting, but hunting for foods an so. But shares a lack of care and honor for the kill itself, a disregard for what it does or can do to the ecosystem, and above all a lack of care if they hunt it to absolute extinction. That being of course things like Whale Hunting. Really is disgusting IMO.

Now an absolute thing to me, is that Trophy Hunting in general should be made illegal. An the only kind of hunting allowed, be that the kind for foods. With the exception of hunting endangered and protected species (such as Whales, Lions, Tigers, etc). 

As well a better system against the acts of Poaching and those who engage in such acts.

Whether that'll happen though .... I don't know. Probably not, or at least not soon enough. Cause stuff like this has been argued and fought for, for some time now. Things like cleaner energies, better laws, etc. Even all the way back in the 70's or 60's as I recall. An sure enough there's been efforts and some significant changes. You do however think that by now a lot more could have been done, or even accomplished at earlier times. But that's the world of politics for you.  

Edited by Yuber, 30 July 2015 - 12:37 AM.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#3 Miss.J

Miss.J

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:48 PM

And to add some more debate, is punishing the dentist and his dentistry and ruining his life a fair response if others that his dentistry employs suffers as well? 

Spoiler

#4 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

And to add some more debate, is punishing the dentist and his dentistry and ruining his life a fair response if others that his dentistry employs suffers as well? 

His choices are a result of this backlash. An it is him alone to blame for not only what comes to him, but unfortunately all those tied to him. It is sad that others have to suffer from another's poor choices in life. But it is what it is.

Also here's a link to a article, regarding the incident.

So everybody can get an idea on what's being discussed.

Dentist kills Cecil the Lion

#5 BoriketheBlackDragon

BoriketheBlackDragon

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

Hunting itself?  No no no fuck no!  I forget where they did it, but a place did ban Deer hunting and you know what happened?  The Deer population exploded to the point that they were everywhere!  But that's not the worst part.  They outgrew their food source, so many of the deer were malnourished, which invites the second horseman pestilence to come and spread a plague that nearly wiped out the herd.  When you remove a creatures primary and only predetor, it suffers more than it thrives.  In many parts of the country, humans are what keep deer in check.

Not only that, but if you are hunting for food, how is it different than getting meat from a store except you are killing the animal itself?

Hunting for sport?  Yes, that is completely unnecessary, you are killing for fun, IDK why that shouldn't be illegal.

95d.png

PRAISE OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!!!!

#6 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

if he murder someone is punishing the dentist and his dentistry and ruining his life a fair response if others that his dentistry employs suffers as well?

Hunting itself?  No no no fuck no!  I forget where they did it, but a place did ban Deer hunting and you know what happened?  The Deer population exploded to the point that they were everywhere!  But that's not the worst part.  They outgrew their food source, so many of the deer were malnourished, which invites the second horseman pestilence to come and spread a plague that nearly wiped out the herd.  When you remove a creatures primary and only predetor, it suffers more than it thrives.  In many parts of the country, humans are what keep deer in check.

Not only that, but if you are hunting for food, how is it different than getting meat from a store except you are killing the animal itself?

Hunting for sport?  Yes, that is completely unnecessary, you are killing for fun, IDK why that shouldn't be illegal.

isn't that because they hunting and killed all of the predators offs.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#7 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

Possibly but that's the world we live in. Also keep in mind that the dentist lured the lion off of a preservation. That lion was literally illegal to hunt. He broke the law.

#8 BoriketheBlackDragon

BoriketheBlackDragon

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

isn't that because they hunting and killed all of the predators offs.

What predators?  What predators did we hunt to extinction that used to eat Deer?

95d.png

PRAISE OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!!!!

#9 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Veneer

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,413 posts

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

Wolves. Don't quote me on this, but I read in school some time ago that during the 1800s and 1900s, the wolf population that kept the deer population in check was hunted off due to them hunting farmers' livestock. Good old agriculture fucking shit up.

But the gist is that the natural predators were hunted off by humans for the benefit of local agriculture. Nothing wrong with that per-se since it was essential to development, but it also put the responsibility of keeping wildlife under control onto humans as well.

EDIT: And, y'know, bears, mountain lions, the works. Lotta mountain lions 'round here in Nevada. Lotta them. They scaaaary. Except not because they're all dead.

Edited by ZCOverload, 30 July 2015 - 10:29 AM.

I'll clear this with no continues!

wlpOFuA.gif

#10 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Yeah unfortunately we're the new top predator. We have to thin out the numbers.

#11 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Veneer

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,413 posts

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

Humans won't kill off other humans en-masse. It's arrogant to think we're capable of that.

What I'm saying is that we're top dog. Survival of the fittest. It's our responsibility to keep our prey's numbers in check, and that's why hunting is perfectly ethical, because it's built into our DNA.

Of course, poaching or hunting endangered species doesn't fall into that category. That's an entirely different ethical matter.

However, hunting as a concept, there's nothing wrong with it. Kill or be killed, animals eat other animals. Only thing that seperates us from the typical mountain lion is the thumbs and the fact we're capable of having asanine online discussions about how everything's humanity's fault and how we shouldn't do something that we're genetically coded to do.

So yeah. Hunting's alright, man.

Edited by ZCOverload, 30 July 2015 - 10:42 AM.

I'll clear this with no continues!

wlpOFuA.gif

#12 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Possibly but that's the world we live in. Also keep in mind that the dentist lured the lion off of a preservation. That lion was literally illegal to hunt. He broke the law.

He claimed that he didn't know about the lion's status, he thought the hunt was legal. 

Two of his guides are facing charges.

L o y a l t y              |             B l o o d l i n e

ZmZNGgT.gif

#13 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

Humans won't kill off other humans en-masse. It's arrogant to think we're capable of that.

I was talking about the animals and that was a South Park reference.

He claimed that he didn't know about the lion's status, he thought the hunt was legal. 

Two of his guides are facing charges.

And Bill Cosby didn't think that having sex with unconscious drugged women was rape. Some men are liars.

Edited by Chillman, 30 July 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#14 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

So he said. But so does a lot of people when trying to avoid crimes.

Plus as of now it's reported that he's gone MIA.

#15 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Slow down, boys.

I'm not attesting to any certain guilt or innocence. If his story wasn't corroborated, he'd had been found out through the investigation with his guides within a day, and be currently facing charges along with them. He's certainly not absolved of anything, but this isn't as clear-cut as people are trying to make it out to be.

L o y a l t y              |             B l o o d l i n e

ZmZNGgT.gif

#16 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,248 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Based on the recent story of the dentist killing an endangered protected lion by luring it away from protected grounds, do you think hunting should be illegal? 

If not, what about big game hunting? 

As it has been said, hunting can't become illegal in certain areas if you don't want a population of animals to get too big. We now are their predators. 

But of course, you need laws. 

I honestly don't know how it works in other countries, but here you have a season for hunting, and it's different depending on which animal you want to hunt. 

What's more, there's a limited number of animals that can be killed. 

Therefore, to be a hunter, you have to have a license and be part of the association, so that you can keep up with what is allowed. 

Mostly, people go in groups to have a fun time, and from the little they managed to hunt, they share. Now, some groups are better than others, for sure. 

But anyway, when you have such regimentation, it works pretty well. 

On a personal standpoint, I don't like it and I wouldn't go hunting, but well… it's necessary given how things now are. 

#17 soccerislife

soccerislife

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hunting already is illegal. So what are you talking about? They have laws regarding this and he broke it. Unless you mean ALL hunting to which I disagree with.

KUn5clI.jpg

Too lazy to change the sig. Found the avatar too hilarious to pass up though. xD

#18 Miss.J

Miss.J

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hunting already is illegal. So what are you talking about? They have laws regarding this and he broke it. Unless you mean ALL hunting to which I disagree with.

Not all hunting is illegal. Hunting deer, rabbits isn't. But it should be. There are ways to get food already. There's little to no reason people hunt deer other than trophy hunting. 

Spoiler

#19 soccerislife

soccerislife

Combat Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

Not all hunting is illegal. Hunting deer, rabbits isn't. But it should be. There are ways to get food already. There's little to no reason people hunt deer other than trophy hunting.

I said this.

And also, while there is that group of people who do, you still have to consider those who naturally hunt to eat and not for pride. There are people who hunt to eat. Not everyone wants to buy meat from grocery stores or butcher shops or were raised to where that's their go-to all the time.

Edited by soccerislife, 30 July 2015 - 11:19 PM.

KUn5clI.jpg

Too lazy to change the sig. Found the avatar too hilarious to pass up though. xD

#20 Nyanko

Nyanko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Here, we have a number of different hunters. There are Kangaroo Hunters, who hunt down Kangaroos for their tasty, tasty tail meat, there are rabbit, cat and dog hunters, who hunt down the rabbits, cats and dogs that devastate our natural environment. Is hunting cats, rabbits and dogs that devastate the natural environment morally wrong? No, I don't think so; because for each Cat slain, many native and endangered birds are saved from death.

Is hunting Kangaroos morally wrong? No, because there exists no other way to farm their tasty, tasty tail meat. Besides the indigenous australians hunted Roos, and it is much better on the environment (and your health) to eat tasty, tasty Roo tail meat in comparison to Beef or Lamb; both in Land Management, as well as in carbon footprint. (plus there are millions of them)

Anyway you have to be registered to hunt. Hunting for sport on the other hand? No, that I cannot get behind.

Edited by Nyanko, 31 July 2015 - 07:47 AM.

The Nominations for OMF Top 20 ongoing Manga for August/September are over. The results can be seen here!

http://onemangaforum...tember-edition/

Don't like the results? Then vote in the 4th Quarter poll in January