• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ayanami000

ayanami000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

is there any slam dunk manga about the inter-high tournament?

#2 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

@ayanami000 You mean the national tournament ? or the regional tournament (when they challenge Kainan and Ryonan in the final four) ?

#3 ayanami000

ayanami000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

im looking for the national tournament. the one with sanno, toyotama, etc.

#4 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

im looking for the national tournament. the one with sanno, toyotama, etc.

It starts from volume 23.

#5 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

I love Slam Dunk so much that I F it.

This manga is so damn good. The choreography of the action, the simplicity and efficiency of its art, the pacing, the cast, the screen time being divided fairly,  the main character's progression is incredibly well told  and fun to read. The last game is the epitome of how you write a finale.

Naruto and even One Piece don't even come close to it.

The greatest manga I have ever read and I take pleasure to reread every year.

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 03 December 2015 - 11:45 AM.

• GintaMan and Mr Love like this

#6 GintaMan

GintaMan

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationSniper Island

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

I love how Sakuragi progressed as a basketball player. It made me play more basketball back in high school. And then came Kuroko and I was like --- this generation is f**ked up if you have those characters as their role models when playing. 

• trafalgarlawisop likes this

"To have a dream is to struggle with reality."

Have a taste of my pIMP Slap!

tiM4Zrr.gif

"The Old Man of the North"

http://38.media.tumb...EcNV1r1vglf.gif

Chairman Emeritus, OMF Butt Stuff Appreciation Association

Almighty Bishop of the Church of Escanor, Gawd of the Sun

#7 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

I have started basketball thanks to Slam Dunk.

Its satisfying to see Sakuragi struggle and progress non stop. The fact that he is always learning is a perfect set up for comedic scenes but its satisfying to see him struggle and then succeed. He learned from something from almost everyone and  he burns with excitement when he faces a worthy adversary. He becomes literally in love with Basketball when he reattached at night his jump shot progression. His competitiveness and will to win even if he is totally outclassed makes him an inspiring figure. Even with an injury he still plays well and that guy just doesn't quit.

Rukawa is the perfect rival and is funny as hell in his own way. He is a version of Sasuke that is actually likable. 

I love Fujima he is like the equivalent of Jason Kidd. He is a coach and a player... that's badass and shows a great maturity.

Definitely a better love story than Naruto. I love how Haruko defends from the Rukawa fangirls and supports Sakuragi through his success and struggle.

There is too much to love about it.

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 03 December 2015 - 02:14 PM.

• GintaMan likes this

#8 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

@YoWid

DfPlilWVAAAvwbw.jpg

Deja7xTX0AA8485.jpg

De1xtkhU0AEjgvK.jpg

QONVIyz.gif

• YoWid and Mr Love like this

#9 YoWid

YoWid

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationUnknown Regions

User's Awards

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:25 AM

I have started basketball thanks to Slam Dunk.

Its satisfying to see Sakuragi struggle and progress non stop. The fact that he is always learning is a perfect set up for comedic scenes but its satisfying to see him struggle and then succeed. He learned from something from almost everyone and  he burns with excitement when he faces a worthy adversary. He becomes literally in love with Basketball when he reattached at night his jump shot progression. His competitiveness and will to win even if he is totally outclassed makes him an inspiring figure. Even with an injury he still plays well and that guy just doesn't quit.

Rukawa is the perfect rival and is funny as hell in his own way. He is a version of Sasuke that is actually likable. 

I love Fujima he is like the equivalent of Jason Kidd. He is a coach and a player... that's badass and shows a great maturity.

Definitely a better love story than Naruto. I love how Haruko defends from the Rukawa fangirls and supports Sakuragi through his success and struggle.

There is too much to love about it.

I wanna read about the backstory of that Colonel Sanders Coach more, tbh, they say he was a tyrant before coaching Shohoku and turning Buddha, maybe like a reverse Kuma or something. 

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#10 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

@YoWid

Why not ? They are possibly rereleasing the manga with new covers to test the waters  to see if they could actually make a sequel to one of their most beloved series in Japan (people still talk about it decades after its end). Inoue has put Vagabond on an indefinite hold and he has been tweeting and drawing a lot of Japanese basketball players.

• YoWid and Mr Love like this

#11 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

@YoWid

@Mr Love

https://www.animenew...-june-3/.132539

Sales are going  :thumbup:

#12 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Slam dunk is a top selling manga so that's not too surprising. When you take into account the number of volumes vs the other top sellers it's even more impressive
https://en.m.wikiped...t-selling_manga

#13 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Slam dunk is a top selling manga so that's not too surprising. When you take into account the number of volumes vs the other top sellers it's even more impressive
https://en.m.wikiped...t-selling_manga

@gintokichimaru

I am still in awe that the Japanese still remember this manga after all these years. Its just that this series ended over twenty years ago before the boom of Dragon Ball in the the late 90's in Europe and the US or the Naruto explosion in the mid 2000's and the rise of One Piece at the end of the last decade. If the series was released in any of these periods its success would have been far greater.

Inoue has been tweeting a lot about Japanese basketball recently and Yuta Watanabe might actually get a legit chance to play in the NBA for the upcoming season making him possibly the second japanese player in the history to play in this league which hopefully gives a motivation for Inoue to give us a sequel plus the great sales of the rerelease :kakashi: .

#14 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I'm not that surprised tbh. I just went on a trip to Japan in May and they were having a celebration of Shounen Jump. Mori Tower in Roppongi had an exhibit for 90s Jump series and Uniqlo was running a promo for limited edition t-shirts to name a couple things. The 90s were like the heyday of manga for that genre in Japan even if we didn't get a lot of westward expansion til the 00s.

I'd love for a sequel or any other work from Inoue. He's definitely one of my favorite artists and even beyond the visuals he is a good storyteller. I do wish he'd finish Vagabond before starting another series, but hey sometimes you just lose inspiration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users