• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

#481 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Ok so i should of prefaced my post by adding none of my 3 objections are reasons why G5 CANT exist, they were my personal problems with the idea. Oda is free to do redundent powers and defy the laws of physics if he wants and we are fine with it.

I am saying why i believe it would be a lame idea. And if i was a story teller i would steer clear of lame ideas.

1. Well haki is hardening. (This is the bb df vs fuji df arguement all over again, darkness is gravity so a gravity fruit shouldn't exist yet one did.) But this compliant is manily about G4 as a whole. Gear 2 and 3 both made sense and were done good. G4 stands as a tranaformation oda thought was cool.
Its like a car, cars have different gears, cars have high and low, they both hve their purpose, one is for off road the other is for using trailers, they dint have a gear that just makes the car a cooler car.
Gear 2 "this is for an increase in speed to keep up with tougher enemis"
Gear 3 "this is for an increase in power to over power the strongest of enemies"
Gear 4 "FORGET THE OTHER GEARS THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! You can move faster hit stronger even fly!!!!!"

Imo oda shouldnt of added it to the Gear system. He should of just called it like it is, a transformation/ evolution.

And to make matters worse, oda broke the gear system (i support this decision) he made the gears just part of luffy's normal combat. So essientally there was no gear 2 or 3. But now there is a gear 4.

2 this is probabky the same as my above point but if someone adds something to a system i like it better be unique. Even oda changed G4 from G3s bone balloon to a muscle balloon.

3 does it though? Serious science question.

And finally something i completly forgot about. Hardness isnt always a good thing. The harder an object the more brittle it is. Through magic and coa luffy is able to harden his body and retain its rubber. Because the coa is on top of his rubber body. But if the coa is on top of a solid hard body, luffy would no longer have his elasticity and that would be a bad thing as far as i can see.
  • PunkHazard likes this

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#482 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I miss those days... OP was real good back then.

mo7zYc9.png

@Saya

Recently, I have enjoyed Korean Drama a lot more than reading One Piece. Its tasty, and addictive

You should try it.

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 26 October 2017 - 04:53 PM.

• Grimmjagger likes this

#483 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

1. Good, then vulcanization adds hardness. Not the same as speed, mass and haki. There you go!

2. Your preference is respected, but too bad as far as logic and writing goes, nothing wrong.

3. Yes. You miss the fact that same force but different materials matters.

No place? Tensile strength (combined with CoA) is exaclty why G4 shrinking is strong

Apparently you edited your post after I started writing my response so I never checked that you added a link.

Yeah, that's hard. But not like it's harder than normal like what CoA does.

Yeah, but my point is still if it just adds hardness then it's still okay.

Heh...since when CoA lets him keep elasticity in bulky form? You understand that wrong. Luffy by default has elasticity because he's rubber. He always has elasticity no matter what form. What makes G4 strong is simply he uses CoA and elasticity together. That's why DD made a comment that Luffy maintains elasticity even in CoA state.

Bold: okay, so like captain kidd you simply don't like it. That's another matter. Your initial reply to me is like ''what's the point of being harder?'' and I'm addressing that. As long as you understand then it's fine. Whether you like it or not is not something I'd debate.

So you still don't understand. Which part of ''being even harder'' do you not get? Yeah, CoA makes Luffy's hits harder. Yeah, that's already harder than his normal hard and with vulcanization then it's even harder than that. Or do you think just CoA alone makes Luffy the hardest thing in the world and there's no room for improvement? And if you say ''then Luffy just needs to train his CoA to get harder, why need a new ability?'' then I already explain that

Look, if BaseLuffy's punch is 5 units of strength, then say CoA makes that 10 and with vulcanization it goes up to 15. Is that easy to understand? And when Luffy improves his base stats and CoA and even vulcanization two fold then that would make 30. If he only has CoA then that would only be 20.

Again, it's just your preference that a new ability shouldn't be like the nold ones. Whereas I'm not concerned with that. I'm only explaining that yes, that would make Mihawk's cut even better. If before the gap between him and the 2nd strongest swordsman is 2 then now with the new sword it may go up to 3-4 and so on.

O__O That's the same result. A harder sword or a harder layer of CoA, both make a harder hit. And like I said, if he had both then the hardness is even more. Simple as that. Not to mention you can have limited Haki, as shown with Luffy's G4.

How is getting harder abstract? If I throw a rock at you and then a feather I think it is very non-abstract to tell the difference

To Luffy himself. That's the basis. He gets harder than he already is. Whether that makes a difference vs his opponent is another matter.

CoA... How can you even ask what hardness does? Have you been reading the manga? Why do you think Luffy uses Hardening even when not fighting Logia? Because it helps him hit harder. So now if he has a new ability that adds even more hardness on top of CoA then he hits even harder and stronger...

Oda could have just not invented any of the gear and simply had Luffy train his base stats. Yet he invented Gears.

Look I hear wat your saying. My ony thing with all this is how redundant it is. Its not that I dont like it. I jus dont understand the point. I dont see why u dont see where Im coming from but maybe u have a different idea in ur head then me.

Cause its not the difference between a feather and a rock. Its the difference between a rock and a a identical but slightly harder rock. But regardless u can bash someone’s head in with both rocks. Unless u smash one rock wit the other theres no real way to tell which rock is harder. And obviously luffy cant smash himself to see wat is harder. Thats why its so confusing cause there cant be a clear indication of how much he’s gotton stronger jus by sayin “he’s harder”. I really dont get why u dont understand where Im coming from. But Ill leave it alone and jus wait to see what Oda does. Maybe theres something Im not thinking of that u didnt say either. I jus dont know....

Ok so i should of prefaced my post by adding none of my 3 objections are reasons why G5 CANT exist, they were my personal problems with the idea. Oda is free to do redundent powers and defy the laws of physics if he wants and we are fine with it.

I am saying why i believe it would be a lame idea. And if i was a story teller i would steer clear of lame ideas.

1. Well haki is hardening. (This is the bb df vs fuji df arguement all over again, darkness is gravity so a gravity fruit shouldn't exist yet one did.) But this compliant is manily about G4 as a whole. Gear 2 and 3 both made sense and were done good. G4 stands as a tranaformation oda thought was cool.
Its like a car, cars have different gears, cars have high and low, they both hve their purpose, one is for off road the other is for using trailers, they dint have a gear that just makes the car a cooler car.
Gear 2 "this is for an increase in speed to keep up with tougher enemis"
Gear 3 "this is for an increase in power to over power the strongest of enemies"
Gear 4 "FORGET THE OTHER GEARS THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! You can move faster hit stronger even fly!!!!!"

Imo oda shouldnt of added it to the Gear system. He should of just called it like it is, a transformation/ evolution.

And to make matters worse, oda broke the gear system (i support this decision) he made the gears just part of luffy's normal combat. So essientally there was no gear 2 or 3. But now there is a gear 4.

2 this is probabky the same as my above point but if someone adds something to a system i like it better be unique. Even oda changed G4 from G3s bone balloon to a muscle balloon.

3 does it though? Serious science question.

And finally something i completly forgot about. Hardness isnt always a good thing. The harder an object the more brittle it is. Through magic and coa luffy is able to harden his body and retain its rubber. Because the coa is on top of his rubber body. But if the coa is on top of a solid hard body, luffy would no longer have his elasticity and that would be a bad thing as far as i can see.

agreed wit this too tho

Edited by PunkHazard, 26 October 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#484 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:39 AM

My ony thing with all this is how redundant it is. Its not that I dont like it. I jus dont understand the point.

Again, very simple: you have 3 dollars, add another 3 and it's 6 dollars. More money is better than less money, period (not counting specific circumstance like having lots of money makes you the target of thieves etc.). You don't say ''it's redundant because both are money'' , do you?

I dont see why u dont see where Im coming from but maybe u have a different idea in ur head then me.

No, I totally see where you're coming from. And I'm saying I'm not debating whether you like it or whether you find it redundant. I'm just trying to make you see that a new ability that offers hardness is useful and completely okay in terms of writing.

Cause its not the difference between a feather and a rock. Its the difference between a rock and a a identical but slightly harder rock.

Slightly harder? Who said Oda has to make vulcanization a little power-up?

But regardless u can bash someone’s head in with both rocks.

And a harder rock hits harder => deals more damage. What's so hard to understand?

Unless u smash one rock wit the other theres no real way to tell which rock is harder.

There is. Before Luffy only had his own body and CoA. Now you have vulcanization on top of it. Clearly the latter is harder. Or do you think vulcanization's hardness is negative value? :rly:

Thats why its so confusing cause there cant be a clear indication of how much he’s gotton stronger jus by sayin “he’s harder”.

Easy, Luffy's opponent would comment on the higher level of hardness or show it by being hurt more. I mean the moment G4 smahsed DD away we immediately knew ''yeah, this form is much much stronger than Luffy's previous form''. ...

• PunkHazard likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#485 Saya

Saya

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationIn the front row sit of a cinema

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

@Saya

Recently, I have enjoyed Korean Drama a lot more than reading One Piece. Its tasty, and addictive

You should try it.

I already am watching a bunch of dramas. What is this one from? Is this "While you were asleep"?

#486 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

I already am watching a bunch of dramas. What is this one from? Is this "While you were asleep"?

Its definitely not a short name. Here goes...

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

• Saya likes this

#487 Himynameisriot

Himynameisriot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Theorist.

Personal Theories made in 2016

• Kuzan will join the crew
  • Carrot will join the crew
  • Kaidou is a lab experiment
  • Green Bull will be based off of Sonny Chiba and have a time based DF
  • Blackbeards fruit gives him the ability to use more than one power.

Not my shit

•  Another Yonkou dies
  • Blackbeard kills a "marine" (maybe Kuzan)
  • Luffy gets captured by government
  • Law uses OP surgery on Luffy 
  • Blackbeard becomes the Pirate King

#488 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

Now that it is confirmed that luffy feels others emotions without realising brings a new meaning to all that has happened in the manga.

Why did he decided to chase Sanji when Sanji was a total ass. He knew Sanji was in pain.

Usopp vs Luffy. He felt everything.

Why was he always on top of rebecca. He knew she was in pain.

Why did he invite brook. He felt good intentions and knew brooks feelings.

Help Vivi? Felt them feelings, has to do it

Not saying he sees someone sad or angry and helps them because Luffy said himself that feelings have to be graded with the personality of the person. Regardless of this I believe that knowing other people feelings explains why he always ends up meddling in other people lives.

#489 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Ya that is weird, his "super empthay" what a horrible power. It wasnt impressive when that chick from the new guradians of the galexy had it and it isnt impressive now.

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#490 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Ya that is weird, his "super empthay" what a horrible power. It wasnt impressive when that chick from the new guradians of the galexy had it and it isnt impressive now.

Not everything needs to be a combat ability.

#491 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Now that it is confirmed that luffy feels others emotions without realising brings a new meaning to all that has happened in the manga.

Basically he is worser version of Ichigo

a7f.gif

098.jpg

Edited by D.Hyuga, 09 February 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#492 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

how is he a worser version of ichigo?

#493 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:27 AM

how is he a worser version of ichigo?

I can understand your heart, only unlike Ichigo I'm too carefree, child-like and selfish to be as subtle and understanding. Thank GOda's plot-armor my dragging people along with me ends up fine somehow.

At least that's what I guess D.Hyuga means.

#494 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

Even mentioning Ichigo and Bleach in this subforum is a disgrace, gtfo with that shit

• Enbima likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#495 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Even mentioning Ichigo and Bleach in this subforum is a disgrace, gtfo with that shit

Kubo is just in every way better than Oda, art, symbolism, slice of life moments, comedy etc etc etc.

That is like in sport, Oda was chosen to be golden boy, and anything he does will be proclaimed great. Kubo in Shueisha is like pig in Tehran.

#496 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Kubo is just in every way better than Oda, art, symbolism, slice of life moments, comedy etc etc etc.

That is like in sport, Oda was chosen to be golden boy, and anything he does will be proclaimed great. Kubo in Shueisha is like pig in Tehran.

Yeah for 14 year old emo boys who think 30 Seconds to Mars make some deep shit

qhz8b56l.png

#497 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Who peed in your cheerios bruh?

• ShinmenTakezo likes this

#498 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Yeah for 14 year old emo boys who think 30 Seconds to Mars make some deep shit

You mean a story(OP), where every arc is with some bullied kid(s), is not for 14y old emo boys?

Just check Puding and Katakuri in this arc. My guess is that OP is so popular becuase it is so EMO.

#499 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

For a good chunk of latter half Bleach, symbolism is just there, not serving the story anything. Kubo's writing in the last arc is as worse as Oda's in his terrible days, only with more pretty arc and some more interesting characters to engage.

But I do prefer Ichigo to Luffy, that said neither holds a candle to Edwards.

Luffy is a decent protagonist given the WSJ series I read so at least in that respect, he's good. Also he makes Miss Coquine weak in the knee. That some major achievement!!!

#500 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:47 AM

For a good chunk of latter half Bleach, symbolism is just there, not serving the story anything. Kubo's writing in the last arc is as worse as Oda's in his terrible days, only with more pretty arc and some more interesting characters to engage.

But I do prefer Ichigo to Luffy, that said neither holds a candle to Edwards.

Luffy is a decent protagonist given the WSJ series I read so at least in that respect, he's good. Also he makes Miss Coquine weak in the knee. That some major achievement!!!

Luffy is a great protagonist within the confines of the OP story with the themes Oda wants to express.

It´s just that people think he is some Shounen clone because he has some superficial characteristics that have been featured before, most prominently in Dragonball.

I have read 500 chapters of Bleach and could not say who Ichigo really is, he is used more often as a plot device than an actual character.

You mean the obnoxious two brothers? Meh

qhz8b56l.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users