• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

#501 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

Luffy is a great protagonist within the confines of the OP story with the themes Oda wants to express.
It´s just that people think he is some Shounen clone because he has some superficial characteristics that have been featured before, most prominently in Dragonball.

I have read 500 chapters of Bleach and could not say who Ichigo really is, he is used more often as a plot device than an actual character.

You mean the obnoxious two brothers? Meh

Luffy might look like a regular shonen character and he is.But there's more to him. Very early in the story he admitted that he needs help to achieve his dreams. He continuously relies on others explaining his care free attitude towards daily activities and non life threats. He gets serious in fights, he gets serious when he has to lead and as of last week we know why he knows people so well after a quick chat.

You don't understand ichigo. He's s complex character. Just because you didn't get it doesn't mean he's badly written.

Btw, by your standard, who are this generic shonen characters
  • Chillman likes this

#502 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Luffy is a great protagonist within the confines of the OP story with the themes Oda wants to express.

It´s just that people think he is some Shounen clone because he has some superficial characteristics that have been featured before, most prominently in Dragonball.

I have read 500 chapters of Bleach and could not say who Ichigo really is, he is used more often as a plot device than an actual character.

You mean the obnoxious two brothers? Meh

I never think he's a shounen clone and yeah he fits One Piece but certainly not that great. I don't get the impact that he shines in the story  or that he's the best choice for it. It feels like a solid piece but nowhere stellar. And Oda's execution doesn't always help.

Ichigo is both.

Obnoxious? That's harsh.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#503 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

I never think he's a shounen clone and yeah he fits One Piece but certainly not that great. I don't get the impact that he shines in the story  or that he's the best choice for it. It feels like a solid piece but nowhere stellar. And Oda's execution doesn't always help.

Ichigo is both.

Obnoxious? That's harsh.

I purely judge him by how he he the personification of the messages and themes Oda wants to express without being too clichéd and cheesy.

Someone like Luffy in a different story would be completely false but a pure idealist in a very idealistic story whose morals can stimulate a deep emotional response of the audience (which is one of the main reasons why One Piece became one of the most popular mangas ever), yep one of my favorites pretty much.

You can criticize several mistakes Oda has made over the years, no argument there, but for the most part, his execution with Luffy was good to great.

I was not referring to you specifically though, i know that your reading ability and ability to analyze things are certainly above average, and we both know of each other´s huge back catalogue to respect each other´s opinions.

As a character for me? Not really. I could not say this is Ichigo, this is what he stands for, this is his emotional context and so forth.

I don´t want to influence your enjoyment of the character though, doubt that would happen in the first place.

FMA worked for me because of the underlying, philosophical implications and hints throughout the story and i would lie if i said that i was not invested in the brother´s quest to get their bodies back, but i never truly felt emotionally attached to them simply because i simply did not like their personality.

There was Mustang and his subordinates for me but that´s it for emotional attachment.

qhz8b56l.png

#504 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

Luffy's character represents the perfect combination of generic (childish if you want) shonen main character and a true captain and leader when it comes to it. When Luffy gets serious it sends chills down your spine and you actually feel the coolness of it. Because you believe both his childish and serious sides. With dragon ball for example I didnt get that feeling. Is like when Goku is chilling and doing stupid stuff you still see the badass in him and it doesnt surprise you or doesnt seem that cool when you see him go serious suddenly. With Luffy you get so used to him being childish and apparently ignorant that the moments he goes serious and shows a better understanding of people's emotions it makes you see he is way more inteligent when it comes to understanding people than what he seems to be (most of the scenes when he struggles with crewmates you can see he understand them and Its not just a basic "you're my friend so I need to save you" thing, he actually even guides then towards realizing what they did wrong/should change e.g. Ussopp, Robin, Sanji in this arc, etc.)
  • Abaroxa, Tale and Chillman like this

"You can't take the King Marco_by_Kanomaru.gifon your first turn!!"

FoundeothTrafalgaLafan-clu-----> :aww: 

#505 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

Not everything needs to be a combat ability.

Without combat nothing can exist in this world or op. Combat comes before all needs because without security, the ability to read emotions is worthless.

Dogtooth "i can read the future"
Luffy "i can read your future .....emotions!!! Wow you are going to be really happy in a few seconds"
*spear through luffys heart
Dogtooth "wahooo i did it, i finally did it!!!"

Luffy's character represents the perfect combination of generic (childish if you want) shonen main character and a true captain and leader when it comes to it. When Luffy gets serious it sends chills down your spine and you actually feel the coolness of it. Because you believe both his childish and serious sides. With dragon ball for example I didnt get that feeling. Is like when Goku is chilling and doing stupid stuff you still see the badass in him and it doesnt surprise you or doesnt seem that cool when you see him go serious suddenly. With Luffy you get so used to him being childish and apparently ignorant that the moments he goes serious and shows a better understanding of people's emotions it makes you see he is way more inteligent when it comes to understanding people than what he seems to be (most of the scenes when he struggles with crewmates you can see he understand them and Its not just a basic "you're my friend so I need to save you" thing, he actually even guides then towards realizing what they did wrong/should change e.g. Ussopp, Robin, Sanji in this arc, etc.)

If you mean luffy is able to switch from saying awesome and serious things to stupid childish things like a bipolar patient sure i see that.

But his childish side has often gotten the crew into serious trouble. He has often eaten all the food, trusted untrustworthy people, and made bad decisions. But if you dont believe me..... just look at amazon lily. The moron's "childish side" that made him think eating wild mushrooms is a good idea almost got him killed.

Naruto was a goofball but at least that goofiness never influenced his decision making to the extent luffy's does. (His misguided loyalty to sasuke did that for him)

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#506 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

Without combat nothing can exist in this world or op. Combat comes before all needs because without security, the ability to read emotions is worthless.

Dogtooth "i can read the future"
Luffy "i can read your future .....emotions!!! Wow you are going to be really happy in a few seconds"
*spear through luffys heart
Dogtooth "wahooo i did it, i finally did it!!!"

If you mean luffy is able to switch from saying awesome and serious things to stupid childish things like a bipolar patient sure i see that.

But his childish side has often gotten the crew into serious trouble. He has often eaten all the food, trusted untrustworthy people, and made bad decisions. But if you dont believe me..... just look at amazon lily. The moron's "childish side" that made him think eating wild mushrooms is a good idea almost got him killed.

Naruto was a goofball but at least that goofiness never influenced his decision making to the extent luffy's does. (His misguided loyalty to sasuke did that for him)

We still don't know the extend of sensing emotions. Might not be useful in combat since Rayleigh was pushing the other types of CoO but at end of the day it's the best to predict backstabbing allies. Before an attack you will switch your emotions. This is how I see luffy catching Law.

Opverse it's not like in the real world where information gets shared around. Each island has a speciality and the rest is at best average. During the 2 years training. Chopper went to an island that was really advanced in medicine but they were still living in tents.
Onepiece is a world were people being versatile in multiple areas is rare. Ignorance is a normal attribute. You basically need a crew in which each member has an expertise and functionality that will boost the chances of survival.

For all we know in Goa there was no venomous aliments let alone mushrooms. Luffy eating the fish was expected.

Shouldn't compare Luffy and Naruto. Luffy was introduced as goofy and Oda admitted he wouldn't luffy have any character development. Naruto on the other hand was introduced as goofy but a little after the timeskip he just wasn't goofy anymore. From the end immortal arc to the end of of the large summit Naruto barely smiled let alone be goofy. Most of his goofy moments after the ts were forced to make other not worry. More than half of the story Naruto was a different person than the one we were first introduced to.

#507 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

We still don't know the extend of sensing emotions. Might not be useful in combat since Rayleigh was pushing the other types of CoO but at end of the day it's the best to predict backstabbing allies. Before an attack you will switch your emotions. This is how I see luffy catching Law.

Opverse it's not like in the real world where information gets shared around. Each island has a speciality and the rest is at best average. During the 2 years training. Chopper went to an island that was really advanced in medicine but they were still living in tents.
Onepiece is a world were people being versatile in multiple areas is rare. Ignorance is a normal attribute. You basically need a crew in which each member has an expertise and functionality that will boost the chances of survival.

For all we know in Goa there was no venomous aliments let alone mushrooms. Luffy eating the fish was expected.

Shouldn't compare Luffy and Naruto. Luffy was introduced as goofy and Oda admitted he wouldn't luffy have any character development. Naruto on the other hand was introduced as goofy but a little after the timeskip he just wasn't goofy anymore. From the end immortal arc to the end of of the large summit Naruto barely smiled let alone be goofy. Most of his goofy moments after the ts were forced to make other not worry. More than half of the story Naruto was a different person than the one we were first introduced to.

No i wont let ignorance excuse this. When luffy was eating the mushrooms he noticed one was growing on his belly and just ignored it and went back to eating mushrooms. Not to mention luffy ate these mushrooms directly after eating an entire animal so it isnt like he was hungry....

Besides. Common sense says dont eat things you dont know about.... you wouldnt go into the woods and eat random bark would you?

And the fish, ignoring the fact luffy should damn well know about poison by that point in his journey...... nami even said "dont touch it, i will be right back" what did luffy do, he ate it. Only a child would do something like that.

You are right in the later parts but if i remember correctly naruto beat garaa then went back to being care free.

banner.png

#508 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

maybe someone here already checked it. How much time has passed between the cracker fight and Sanjis food. And how much time has passed when he ate the weeding cake and his current state?

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#509 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,535 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

maybe someone here already checked it. How much time has passed between the cracker fight and Sanjis food. And how much time has passed when he ate the weeding cake and his current state?

I don't remember the former but it has been more than 11 hours for the latter.

• Enbima likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#510 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Between cracker fight and sanji food is was a minimum of 12 hours. He met sanji before the vinsmoke had lunch with BM and when he ate from sanji at night time. later at around 4am he meets with bege which he shoulnd't have taken much to get to. But luffy was really bad here, he looked like a rotten raisin.

We know the tea party/weeding started at 10am. We don't know for sure at what time the SH started crashing the party but after a bit of a fight in the chateau, the bomb going off, running all the way into the sunny and coup the burst into the sea Oda revealed it was 3pm. and at 4pm luffy had a meal where he was forced to eat kata's mochi (sounds dirt doesn't it).

Spoiler

Edited by Abaroxa, 19 February 2018 - 09:45 AM.

• D.Hyuga and Enbima like this

#511 Miss Coquine

Miss Coquine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts
  • LocationRiding Yoru

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

Happy Bday to the light of my life Luffysus.

There truly will never be another man like him.

king of charity, forgiveness, kindness. Invented friendship, humour, pirating. Future king of the world. I lub him forever.

When will your faves? 

• Chillman likes this

tumblr_mvzbgsgUOj1rv8ck7o4_250.gif

#512 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

Aside from being PK, he is a total liability in everything  :lolxg:

#513 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Aside from being PK, he is a total liability in everything :lolxg:

Ya. Luffy is a very real life character. He is dumb and has no marketable skills, so instead of getting a job that is helpful to society he starts a gang (pirate crew) and roams the bad negiborhoods (NW/GL) looking for trouble.

And the worst part is he ropes in people like nami and chopper who had a ton of potential but got lured into the gang life style.

banner.png

#514 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Who will be Luffy's Woman:

Shirahoshi

Boa hancock

Nami

rebecca

etc

My money is in either Shirahoshi or nami. He could be with more than one of them. I could see him having a night with boa Hancock

24gvaiu.jpg

#515 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

wtfnm.jpg

#516 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

He ends up with Ussopeeeeeee

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#517 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

I can feel Miss Conquine from here.

• Abaroxa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic