Photo

Global News Thread

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

Poll: Global News Thread Poll (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What topic(s) you'd most like to read and discuss in Global News Thread?

1. Social and politics (regional and/or international) (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

2. Science and technology (12 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

3. Business and economics (8 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

4. Human interest (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

5. Other (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

Should there be separate threads for GNT; "news-only" and "news-discussion-only"?

1. Yes, news materials stay in GNT on GCC, while both discussions and debates go to Debate Subforum (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Yes, news materials and friendly discussions both stay *in a same thread* at GNT on GCC, while debates of all sort go to Debate Subforum (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Yes, news materials and friendly discussions both stay in GCC but at different threads (GNT *and* GNT discussion threads); while debates of all sort go to Debate Subforum (1 votes [10.00%])

4. No, let the news plus the discussions and/or debates stay in the same thread at GNT on GCC (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

5. I have another opinion and I shall post it in this thread (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What makes a news news a news news?

1. Breaking news (namely, 0-72 hours release timeframe) (1 votes [10.00%])

2. Controversial/polemical/triggerworthy news (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Faith-in-humanity-restoring news (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Insightful, interesting, and informative news from the fields of science and tech (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 and 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 1 and 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 1 and 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

8. 1, 2, and 3 (1 votes [10.00%])

9. 1, 2, and 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

10. 2 and/or 3 and/or 4, excluding 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

11. 1, 2, 3, and 4, if ever any (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

12. I have another opinion and I shall post it in this thread (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Welcome to OMF Global News Thread

Read and discuss about breaking news (or otherwise) from around the globe!

News about sports, pop culture and entertainment can also be found in the General Chit Chat section. 

Feel free to contribute and comment. Please be civil and polite--or at least try to be; for greater good.

If you deem it necessary to hold a debate concerning some piece(s) of news, do go here and create a new thread about it/them.

(Original idea by @tattaslayr )

The founder of SpaceX doesn’t want to nuke the surface Red Planet. He wants to use fusion bombs more powerful than any explosives we’ve ever built to blast the sky every few seconds, creating a temporary “sun” over each pole.

“What I was talking about,” said Musk, “was having a series of very large, by our standards, but very small by calamity standards, essentially having two tiny pulsing suns over the poles. They’re really above the planet. Not on the planet.

Every several seconds,” Musk continued “send large fusion bombs over the poles. A lot of people don’t appreciate that our sun is a giant fusion explosion,” he added, to a reportedly silent audience.

http://gizmodo.com/e...mars-1734457751

So he wants to nuke Mars. Is it worth it? Apocalypse how?

U.S. President Barack Obama warned Russia on Friday that its bombing campaign against Syrian rebels will suck Moscow into a "quagmire," after a third straight day of air raids in support of President Bashar al-Assad.

At a White House news conference, Obama frequently assailed Russian President Vladimir Putin, who he accused of acting out of a position of weakness to defend a crumbling, authoritarian ally.

Friday prayers were cancelled in insurgent-held areas of Syria's Homs province hit by Russian warplanes this week, with residents concerned that mosques could be targeted, according to one person from the area.

Putin's decision to launch strikes on Syria marks a dramatic escalation of foreign involvement in a more than four-year-old civil war in which every major country in the region has a stake.

http://uk.reuters.co...N0RW0HY20151003

What would the repercussions of Russian's action be to the Middle East, to U.S., and to the allies of both U.S. and Russia in short-term and long-term? Will this be effective on fighting IS soldiers in Syria? How will this affect oil prices worldwide?

Spoiler Real Talk with Trans People

Spoiler Indonesia forest fires could become worst on record: NASA

Some news sources (other than reddit, tumblr, 7chan, and 4chan):

Hacker News

Skimfeed

Daily Rotation

Slashdot

The Coli

Medium - Matter

Ars Technica

Arts & Letters Daily

The Intercept

Edited by YoWid, 16 October 2015 - 03:01 PM.

• Peleihno, Otaku-N. and tattaslayr like this

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

#2 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

@Elon Musk clarifies his plan to nuke Mars

I'm not an expert on this, in fact I'm very ignorant on this subject and field of study, so let me get this straight first. He wants to warm up Mars' atmosphere in order release the CO2 in the Poles? But what will he do about the massive amount of carbon dioxide that is still left? Aren't they supposed to get rid of that first before the planet becomes remotely inhabitable? I thought the plan for that was to, at some point in the far future, plant lots of green on Mars that would get rid of carbon dioxide problem while at the same time produce more CO2. Isn't that a more efficient plan? Because with his Elon Musk's plan the carbon dioxide is still there, no? Atleast to me it sounds like it is. I didn't have chemistry in highschool for very long lol. 

@Obama warns Russia's Putin of 'quagmire' in Syria

Russia helping out Assad by bombing ISIS is definitely a good development. However, at the same time I feel a bit conflicted about it just like Obama. Assad himself is the main culprit here. Thousands of people have been killed by the guy so at some point we need to put him to justice. By cooperating with him I feel like this might be neglected. The fact that he uses Russia to get rid of the (non-extremist) rebels is making the entire situation just worse btw. 

@Indonesia forest fires could become worst on record: NASA

The wildfires in the Netherlands are pretty small compared to elsewhere in the world but they are still considered a problem. If it's even becoming an issues in a cold country such as the Netherlands, then you know global warming is at the door. I can only imagine how bad it's going to get from now on in places such as California, Australia and South East asia.  

Edited by tattaslayr, 03 October 2015 - 08:05 PM.

• YoWid likes this

#3 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

CNet, The Verge, and many other outlets are reporting that with the official transition of Google (as overarching company) to Google, a subsidiary of Alphabet, Google's made another change that's caught a lot of people's attention: the company has swapped out their famous motto "Don't be evil" for one with a slightly different ring: "Do the right thing." Doing the right thing sounds like a nice thing to aspire to, but doesn't seem quite as exciting.

http://tech.slashdot...ps-dont-be-evil

Guinnessy writes with an interesting analysis of the Volkswagen software cheating scandal:

Physics Today's Charles Day takes a look at how diesel engines work, and why it's clear it's not just a lone software engineer who came up with the cheat. "...[S]oftware is impotent without hardware. To recognize when a car was being tested and not driven, the defeat device required data from a range of sensors -- sensors that a noncheating car might not need.... Whereas it's conceivable that a single software engineer, directed by a single manager, could have secretly written and uploaded the code that ran the defeat device, installing its associated hardware would require a larger and more diverse team of conspirators," he says.

http://developers.sl...able-conspiracy

Spoiler Comment from source site

DELFT, THE NETHERLANDS—Dutch scientists are making waves—big ones. A new experimental facility at Deltares, a research institute here, has begun producing the largest humanmade waves in the world. Like kids building sandcastles below the tideline on the beach, scientists will let the walls of water crash on dikes of different designs and other structures—sometimes until they're destroyed.

The Delta Flume, to be inaugurated on 5 October, is a 300-meter-long water-filled trough that is 9.5 meters high and 5 meters wide. At one end sits a gigantic metal plate called a wave board; four pistons move it back and forth to whip up the kind of waves that the sea can unleash. The waves travel along the flume and crash onto whatever researchers have built at the other end—which could include a novel type of dike, an artificial sand dune or gravel beach, or a pylon used to hold up an offshore wind turbine.

http://news.sciencem...ade-waves-world

Spoiler Comment from HN

Rosemary Sullivan: 'I'm Stalin's Daughter'

At 7:00 p.m. on the evening of March 6, 1967, a taxi drew up to the open gates of the American Embassy on Shantipath Avenue in New Delhi. Watched carefully by the Indian police guard, it proceeded slowly up the circular drive. The passenger in the back seat looked out at the large circular reflecting pool, serene in the fading light. A few ducks and geese still floated among the jets of water rising from its surface. The embassy’s exterior walls were constructed of pierced concrete blocks, which gave the building a light, airy look. The woman noted how different this was from the stolid institutional Soviet Embassy she had just left. So this was America.

http://news.national...2-ed-weston-ex4

Spoiler Comment from HN

#4 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

Spoiler Business and economics

#5 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

Spoiler Human interest - Stalin's daughter

• Moneekey likes this

#6 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

In Some Cultures People with Schizophrenia Actually Like the Voices They Hear

Hearing voices of non-existent interlocutors is a common symptom of schizophrenia. But it seems that the voice-hearing experience among people with the disorder may vary depending on where they are from, according to a new study.

In the study, published recently in Topics in Cognitive Science, researchers looked at how people with schizophrenia from three different societies experienced hearing voices. They found that people from the US tended to describe the voices as intrusive unreal thoughts they hated. In contrast, people from South India were more likely to describe them as providing useful guidance, and people from Ghana were more likely to think of them as morally good.

"I was actually surprised that they were so different," study author Tanya M. Luhrmann of Stanford University told Braindecoder.

While exact brain mechanisms of voice hearing in schizophrenia are not clear, previous research has found that, during such auditory hallucinations, people with the disorder show increased flow to Broca's area in the brain, which is involved in speech production.

https://www.braindec...1381850145.html

Spoiler Comments from HN

#7 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • LocationReverse Cockaigne

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

@Elon Musk clarifies his plan to nuke Mars

I'm not an expert on this, in fact I'm very ignorant on this subject and field of study, so let me get this straight first. He wants to warm up Mars' atmosphere in order release the CO2 in the Poles? But what will he do about the massive amount of carbon dioxide that is still left? Aren't they supposed to get rid of that first before the planet becomes remotely inhabitable? I thought the plan for that was to, at some point in the far future, plant lots of green on Mars that would get rid of carbon dioxide problem while at the same time produce more CO2. Isn't that a more efficient plan? Because with his Elon Musk's plan the carbon dioxide is still there, no? Atleast to me it sounds like it is. I didn't have chemistry in highschool for very long lol. 

My intuition says that without the bombs, or some other efficient source of heat, it would take a horrendously longer time for terraforming. The alternative that I recall is just trying to shove in more aggressive greenhouse gases to bolster up the atmosphere. There's no saying that both methods are mutually exclusive.

And I'm not sure your point is entirely contrary to what he's suggesting,  planting the green would come afterward regardless,  as the first priority is creating a more robust atmosphere to put the green on in the first place. We want that CO2. 

http://www.businessi...aforming-2015-6

This is just one source which addresses the concern to an extent, but it also says that, currently, the estimates are that there won't be enough CO2. Make of it what you will. 

I will say that it's a very far reaching idea. (Every few seconds seems a stretch to me, but otherwise it would be almost pointless) But then are so all things involving terraforming in this day and age.

Kudos to his wording on the subject though, cause now he's got people talking about it.

Edited by Otaku-N., 04 October 2015 - 09:51 PM.

• tattaslayr and YoWid like this

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#8 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:18 AM

http://www.independe...a-a6687916.html

http://www.theguardi...ce-live-updates

Israeli cops once again kill an innocent Palestinian woman. It's funny how it works. If they suspect a Palestinian of something he or she gets the death sentence right on the spot. When a Jewish Israeli stabs 4 people in open daylight he only gets arrested. Cowards, they were with a douzen cops against 1 unarmed woman yet they had to use their guns to take her down. Oh how I wish justice could be served.  :cry:

This is the 6th victim in a short time. I think if this continues we're going to see another Israel - Palestina war. 

Edited by tattaslayr, 10 October 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#9 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

http://www.independe...a-a6687916.html

http://www.theguardi...ce-live-updates

Israeli cops once again kill an innocent Palestinian woman. It's funny how it works. If they suspect a Palestinian of something he or she gets the death sentence right on the spot. When a Jewish Israeli stabs 4 people in open daylight he only gets arrested. Cowards, they were with a douzen cops against 1 unarmed woman yet they had to use their guns to take her down. Oh how I wish justice could be served.  :cry:

This is the 6th victim in a short time. I think if this continues we're going to see another Israel - Palestina war. 

http://www.counterpu...n-relationship/

As societies, Israelis and Palestinians are in an abusive relationship. Interestingly, studies in both animals and humans suggest that one who is at present an abuser was more than likely abused in the past, probably during early life. The state of Israel is a home for scores of traumatized individuals, whether as a result of some anti-Semitic persecution, or a regional conflict. As such, the populace can be seen as inherently post-traumatic, prone to defensive, aggressive and impulsive behaviors typical of victims of trauma. The political, religious, military and economic elites in Israel easily manipulate these fear-based emotions in the populace to gain support for their aggressive, expansionist policies and to suppress dissent. It is easy; neural mechanisms of fear are present in all humans and can be reinstated at will in traumatized individuals. In fact, traumatized war veterans exhibit changes in the brain where the amygdala becomes primed and the prefrontal cortex is compromised, rendering them prone to find fear in everything.

Any plan for a peaceful future must incorporate a process of dialogue toward reconciliation, an education system that uncompromisingly promotes historical truth, as well as the creation of relationships through shared acts of solidarity and civilian resistance to occupation. Nonetheless and for several generations, both sides will always need to maintain constant mindfulness and caution of the possibility of reinstatement. Ultimately, after several generations of peace the fear of the other will have been permanently extinguished and Israelis and Palestinians can coexist in a society that emphasizes empathy and cooperation.

^ on the last line of the second part of the article I quoted and underlined, I found the phrase "after several generations of peace the fear of the other will have been permanently extinguished" sounds naively idealistic, but one can hope.

http://www.counterpu...on-for-dummies/

#10 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

Spoiler The Final Leaked TPP Text is All That We Feared from EFF

#11 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

http://news.discover...ture-151014.htm

Kepler Telescope may have found evidence of an alien structure. Some theorize it may be a Dyson sphere. The data gathered for 4 years strongly suggests that this cannot be a planet, even a Jupiter-sized one. The structure is not round in shape. A second, more grounded, theory is that the star could have pulled a cluster of comets in its vicinity. However, the amount of visible light that dipped from the unknown structure(s) also suggest that the comet theory is not a strong theory as well. Scientists and SETI are now pouring through data to get a more accurate determination of what this unknown object is.

• Hooded Crow, tattaslayr and YoWid like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#12 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationThe Underworld

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Linky

So yeah he admits that he doesn't know if it will be as effective as he imagines and that it would be only suitable for plants but not animals to live on Mars (because like you said the CO2 will still be there) But guys. GUYS. It begins.....Terraformars.  :psyduck:

Edited by Hooded Crow, 15 October 2015 - 03:20 PM.

• YoWid likes this
Spoiler My favorite things

PtFsCT8.png

#13 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Linky

So yeah he admits that he doesn't know if it will be as effective as he imagines and that it would be only suitable for plants but not animals to live on Mars (because like you said the CO2 will still be there) But guys. GUYS. It begins.....Terraformars.  :psyduck:

It's a great development. Such a shame that it will probably not happen in our lifetime. It's times like this that I wish reincarnation was possible. 

• Hooded Crow likes this

#14 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationThe Underworld

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

It's a great development. Such a shame that it will probably not happen in our lifetime. It's times like this that I wish reincarnation was possible. 

First will go the plants...then we'll send the roaches to eat the plants...and then we all know what happens.

But seriously, Mars doesn't seem to be any close to being life friendly, even if it has running water and even if we warm up the atmosphere. We have to advance way more to make it there and even if we do, humans won't be safe from the sun going boom (yes I know best scientific term ever). So we should really focus on making earth a better place than thinking on moving away from it.

PtFsCT8.png

#15 tattaslayr

tattaslayr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Currently it's not but I'm sure that in a few centuries we'll be able to create buildings vehicles suits etc that can shelter us on mars. I think that the most important thing, after the terra forming process, is to think of a way how to carry all the load there. We're going to need a bunch of big ass space ships that can travel real fast. (or space robots gundam style). Will humanity ever be able to build those things? If so then screw mars, we should explore the rest of the universe. :P

It's not too late to change things here but governments and coroporations don't want to change. The investments are too risky and since we humans are too greedy it won't happen untill it's too late. Earth is doomed man. 

http://news.discover...ture-151014.htm

Kepler Telescope may have found evidence of an alien structure. Some theorize it may be a Dyson sphere. The data gathered for 4 years strongly suggests that this cannot be a planet, even a Jupiter-sized one. The structure is not round in shape. A second, more grounded, theory is that the star could have pulled a cluster of comets in its vicinity. However, the amount of visible light that dipped from the unknown structure(s) also suggest that the comet theory is not a strong theory as well. Scientists and SETI are now pouring through data to get a more accurate determination of what this unknown object is.

Let's assume it's really a trace of alien life for the sake of my imagination. Since it's like 1500 lightyears away that means that the image nasa is currently looking at is 1500 years old right? You can correct me if I'm wrong, again, my knowledge is very imited on this field. Going by our standard that should mean that a civilization that was able to build shit arround or on its planet 1500 years ago should now have progressed quite a lot. And if we are able to somehow guess their existence, then they should definitely be able to do the same eventually. Perhaps they already started a recon mission or some sort of message that is still on its way. Imagine the world's reaction once it arrives. Doomsday!!

Edited by tattaslayr, 15 October 2015 - 04:25 PM.

• Hooded Crow likes this

#16 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationThe Underworld

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

Currently it's not but I'm sure that in a few centuries we'll be able to create buildings vehicles suits etc that can shelter us on mars. I think that the most important thing, after the terra forming process, is to think of a way how to carry all the load there. We're going to need a bunch of big ass space ships that can travel real fast. (or space robots gundam style). Will humanity ever be able to build those things? If so then screw mars, we should explore the rest of the universe. :P

It's not too late to change things here but governments and coroporations don't want to change. The investments are too risky and since we humans are too greedy it won't happen untill it's too late. Earth is doomed man. 

Yes, but if we can try (and succeed) to make it to Mars, why don't we just try to save Earth. I don't want to sound like those people who complain about the situation but do nothing about it (because honestly, other than being conscious about the enviroment and all it's not like I'm  an actual activist because I do feel nothing can be changed from now on) but if we can make terraforming plans for Mars, why not make earth saving plans? So even if earth is doomed I don't think Mars will be the answer, now it may seem an open option but when the real problem here strikes, we won't be looking at Mars, we ll be just left with no alternative.
And I just realised this went very dark really fast XD But anyway I ll leave it at that. I do hope there is a chance for mother earth. Mars will have to wait anyway. 

Edited by Hooded Crow, 15 October 2015 - 04:17 PM.

• tattaslayr likes this

PtFsCT8.png

#17 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

^ GNT Poll Update

#18 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationThe Underworld

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

Is there something up with voting? Because I tried to vote but it says "You must cast your vote in each question of the poll" although I did

• YoWid likes this

PtFsCT8.png

#19 YoWid

YoWid

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Is there something up with voting? Because I tried to vote but it says "You must cast your vote in each question of the poll" although I did

Whoops, must be because I deleted the previous two poll questions only after adding the newer two.

Should be fixed now! Xd

(To vote successfully, please delete your previous votes and cast your votes again.)

• Hooded Crow likes this

#20 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationThe Underworld

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

Okie dokie there we go. Also is this a temporary thread, or will it be the main one? If we have news to post, do we do it here and let the discussion go on or should we wait till the poll is done?

• YoWid likes this

PtFsCT8.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users