140 replies to this topic

#21 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

While I have everyone's attention. Stanford made gloves that can turn you into Spider-Man.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#22 kame d. kaze

kame d. kaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

Meh, when are we getting the Iron Man suit?

#23 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

I prefer actual hoverboards. Iron Man + people = Terrible accidents waiting to occur.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#24 kame d. kaze

kame d. kaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

We will just summon Thor when things go out of hand. :huh:

#25 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

I hate to be that girl but I don't really see why this thread exists in the debate forum, there's nothing really being debated and even worse no specific topic to facilitate debate in the first place. In fact from the OP alone this thread should've been deleted in accordance to the rules.  

http://onemangaforum...rules/?p=431807

I suggest this thread be moved to the general chit chat and possibly merged with the global news thread. Even if it's left as it's own thread it doesn't belong here.

• Petite Fleur, waleuska and Goddess Nike like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#26 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

But while we wait for that to happen, 5D glass can store up to 360 terabytes of data for 13.8 billion years (or the current age of the Universe). I'm assuming you can fit the Internet in its entirety on this glass. How much data will we ever need to store? And for how long? Though, I'm excited that we have all this cutting-edge tech, I wonder if we will ever use it... properly. Sometimes it seems like we are creating to create and are just asking for someone or someones to come along and abuse it because we have no idea what to do with it ourselves.

Encryption, I'm looking at you. ...Slightly.

• kame d. kaze and DecipherJayAilee like this

Spoiler

#27 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

http://www.iflscienc...nutes-seriously

admit it. its basicly hyperdrive. warpdrive still aint feesable but hyperdrive certainly is.

my only question is ow the hell do we expect to slow a ship traveling at such high speeds down but I suppose if you could shoot a lasar at it to speed it up you could shoot from the opposite direction to slow it down. of course this would entail first makig an old fashion trip to mars to set up the equipment.

Edited by retroluffy13, 24 February 2016 - 09:56 PM.

• DarkNemesis likes this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#28 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

I thought a hyperdrive was a warp drive. What's the difference? The only way I can see that happening is if they have lasers on both ends (ie. one at Earth and one at Mars) and have the ship "park" beside the planet.

Well after reading ALL of your post, it seems that we're saying the same thing. Though, I wonder if this is something that could be "installed" everywhere through the solar system. And done ....maybe.... cheaply. :shrug:

Edited by DarkNemesis, 24 February 2016 - 10:46 PM.

Spoiler

#29 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

I thought a hyperdrive was a warp drive. What's the difference? The only way I can see that happening is if they have lasers on both ends (ie. one at Earth and one at Mars) and have the ship "park" beside the planet.

Well after reading ALL of your post, it seems that we're saying the same thing. Though, I wonder if this is something that could be "installed" everywhere through the solar system. And done ....maybe.... cheaply. :shrug:

I think the only difference is tangibility. warp drive is sort of the idea you could literally phase through reality to get to from point a to b, kinds like a ghost. hyper drive is the idea of ust moving super fast, which is why in star wars they always have to worry about hitting shit.

Edited by retroluffy13, 24 February 2016 - 10:55 PM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#30 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

I suggest this thread be moved to the general chit chat and possibly merged with the global news thread.

The Global News Thread is really about everything; this one is more specific and there are new things in sciences and technology every week. Once there's something that interest people, there will be talk.

• DarkNemesis likes this

#31 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

The Global News Thread is really about everything; this one is more specific and there are new things in sciences and technology every week. Once there's something that interest people, there will be talk.

Well my main and really only point was that this thread doesn't belong in the debate forum as it isn't a debate thread by any possible measure; as far as the merger it was just a suggestion, I don't really care myself as I don't post in either thread. That said in the global news thread there's a poll that asks "What topic would you most like to read and discuss in Global News Thread?" and the answer with the most votes is "Science and technology" so it seemed like a possible fit.
Also I thought there was already a technology thread in the general chit chat.

• YoWid likes this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#32 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Well my main and really only point was that this thread doesn't belong in the debate forum as it isn't a debate thread by any possible measure; as far as the merger it was just a suggestion, I don't really care myself as I don't post in either thread. That said in the global news thread there's a poll that asks "What topic would you most like to read and discuss in Global News Thread?" and the answer with the most votes is "Science and technology" so it seemed like a possible fit.
Also I thought there was already a technology thread in the general chit chat.

Eh, there was, indeed. I'll merge them. 

#33 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

@azer_moli - those two threads are not about the same thing. One is about computer hardware (basically) and the other about cutting-edge tech and science. Now this thread is just confused.
  • tenchu and YoWid like this

Spoiler

#34 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

One is about computer hardware (basically) and the other about cutting-edge tech and science. Now this thread is just confused.

^ this.

Since what previously in Debate thread has already been moved here in Technology and Science thread, I think that, in the future, Global News Thread and this one thread here is interchangeable for when a poster's gonna post cutting-edge science & tech matters (i.e., posting in either thread [or both] would be cool--though, to differentiate, GNT could be the one for news not more than a week or so).

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#35 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,143 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

@azer_moli - those two threads are not about the same thing. One is about computer hardware (basically) and the other about cutting-edge tech and science. Now this thread is just confused.

I tried to remake both threads as they were. 

My bad for messing up. 

If you (or anyone) happens to see a post that is not in its right place, you can tell me. 

#36 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:18 PM

@azer_moli - Très magnifique. Merci beaucoup!

Spoiler

#37 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Goodyear is working on spherical tires. Parallel parking will no longer require exceptional depth percerption and coordination. ...In the future of course. I wonder if this will make it to any of the (new) Mars Rovers in the near future.

EDIT: sorry I meant maglev, spherical tires.

And with the edit in place, as cool as it looks, that seems like a safety hazard. Especially if the maglev fails.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 04 March 2016 - 11:40 AM.

Spoiler

#38 Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

It seems Google DeepMinds AI, AlphaGo, has beaten a top Go/Weiqi player at the game of Go/Weiqi in it's first game out of five. I've been watching the live stream and will link accompanying articles later.

Here's a confirming article: http://www.theverge....deepmind-result

As well as a news hub all about these match ups for those interested: http://www.theverge....google-deepmind

more links: http://gizmodo.com/g...-cha-1763730253

and a more detailed article: http://www.wired.com...ch-go-champion/

Edited by Urek Mazino, 09 March 2016 - 03:50 AM.

• DarkNemesis likes this

g6U8Sto.jpg?1

Spoiler If Milareppa/Episteme were OP fans :P (posts by Eric Ester Burgos & Jae Johnson & Two Cents @ http://mangastream.c...ment-1216310802)

#39 Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:32 AM

AlphaGo won the second of the five games. The second game seemed more intense than yesterdays one and came down to the wire for both the Lee Sedol and AlphaGo.

http://www.theverge....-match-2-result

http://www.engadget....-go-second-win/

http://gizmodo.com/g...ld-c-1763987402

This is the first match that was played:

I'll post the second when the press conference that followed is finished.

The second match which ended about an hour before this post:

Edited by Urek Mazino, 10 March 2016 - 04:21 AM.

• DarkNemesis likes this

g6U8Sto.jpg?1

Spoiler If Milareppa/Episteme were OP fans :P (posts by Eric Ester Burgos & Jae Johnson & Two Cents @ http://mangastream.c...ment-1216310802)

#40 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

What I'm impressed about is the fact that this is done using a classical, albeit super, computer. I wonder what the algorithm that runs this AI would be capable of if it ran on the new [pseudo] quantum computers. Or even if the algorithm would be applicable to a QC.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users