6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

This does have some overlap with the Science and Technology thread, but it really is specific to activities closely related to space exploration.

So it seems that the US government has given free rein to corporations to mine the hell out of space. Now I support companies (and corporations) to be rewarded --even handsomely-- for the risk they take going out to space. But in reading this article it sounds as if this is the first step of corporate dominance outside of the Earth-Political Sphere. And that -- as paranoid as it sounds -- does make me quite a bit nervous.

LINK.

(Also I'll repost this again here since it's more relevant in this thread.)

It's interesting. The US says that it no longer is going to be build a successor to the ISS. But it could it be because the Russia is planning to build a permanent moon base in 2030? It sounds as if another space war is looming. And oddly, I'm really hope it is. That's means that all the green tech that we're creating and strides in fusion will kick into high gear. Science, math, and technology are going to get a huge boost in funding and resources at least for 2 decades after whenever this starts.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 08 December 2015 - 03:22 PM.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#2 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Being a Sci-fi fan since always, going to space has always been a dream, so it really pleases me to see some "investment" again in this sector.

However I have to agree that even though I don't mind having companies and corporations also investing in this, it bothers me that they might want to "privatize" everything and mainly space exploration. I understand of course that it is extremely hard for an individual (or group of individuals) to go and explore space on their own. But... I don't know, it has that feeling of being just another business

#3 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Location6th Layer of the Abyss

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

There really is no question about a new Space Race being upon us - infact, it has already started quite some time ago. With several countries planning to build a base on the moon within this half of the century or at least a true spacestation of their own, all possibilities that were granted by the ISS are literally shot down. Which, imo, is quite sad as this was one of the biggest project an international alliance of states was creating TOGETHER. Granted, NASA had the highest financial part, but without the parts of the other countries, living up there wouldn't have been possible at all. 

So I really hope that the ISS will, since she won't be funded once the current contracts expire, see a descendant that is built and used by several different nations in an attempt to explore space (and earth) as a joint venture and with the intention of upstaging one another.

As for Obama allowing companies to mine on the moon, well, he can sign this all he wants. But he has, in fact, no authority whatsoever to decide if a company, no matter where it's from, can or cannot use the ressources of outer space. If at all, this belongs to the jurisdiction of the UN, which has already made it clear that the moon belongs to no nation and therefor any contracts sold to clueless people over owning an area up there are nothing more than fraud.

It's the same problem as with the Antarctic continent, where the general conference has declared that land as a no-nation-zone and only to be used for science. This doesn't stop countries close to it (especially Chile and Argentinia, as well as, who'd have guessed, Russia and the US) to feud over rights to mine the vast ressources thought to be hidden beneath the ice. So if the US are starting to create laws which allow the exploitation of the moon, I figure it won't take long before the UN is forced to really talk about this matter - not only in order to prevent monopolization of the moon but also to achieve something yet unseen:

Colonizing (as this is necessary) not organized by a single nation but by humanity in its entirety, with giving equal shares to each and every part of the world.

As for the space race inciting a new leap in scientific exploits, that much is certain. But I hope that the chance will be taken to use this to not make the same mistakes yet again, especially in regards to the social and economic aspects this endeavour is intertwined with.

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#4 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

So is there some sort of treaty to keep a single nation from claiming the moon for it self?

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#5 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Location6th Layer of the Abyss

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

I remember reading something along those lines sometime ago, when some people sold certificates of areas on the moon. I'd have to dig the actual treaty up, though. In case there isn't one, it'll be imperative to form one, given how the US have apparently started to truly set their eyes on it - otherwise any one nation could indeed claim the entire moon for their own. Even though I doubt it'd get through the general conference of the UN, it'd be a huge stepping stone for anybody else to get a share of it.

Edit:

Found it - Moon Treaty and Outer Space Treaty

Interestingly enough, the Moon Treaty is considered as a failure due to only only one of the major powers having signed it (France), while the Outer Space Treaty is ratified by all space faring nations and essentially forbids placement of WMDs in the orbit (one of the reasons the Star Wars-program of the US didn't work) and states that outer space (including the moon) is to be usable and explorable by any nation. Given how dated this Treaty is, though, it really needs an update to accomodate the changes the world has since undergone.

Edited by Abu Dun, 08 December 2015 - 07:00 PM.

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#6 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

So is there some sort of treaty to keep a single nation from claiming the moon for it self?

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Space_law

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#7 SlumLordCat777

SlumLordCat777

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

we all know the russians always win nuff said...

murica pls quit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users