• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

76727.jpg

Plot Summary

Why are we here? Why are we doing this?

Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game.

In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know...

This the story of an adventure born from the ashes.

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Drama
Studio: A-1 Pictures

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

Seems like every season since SAO released needs to have it's "trapped in a game" fantasy series. While I wouldn't call this show original it doesn't seem to be so predictable that I'll get bored immediately. After hearing watching Active Raid I really enjoyed this OST. Overall this seems to be a run of the mill fantasy anime that is only entertaining for those of us who like the fantasy genre. At least they don't know their stuck in a game so we won't have the status windows and skills popping up early.

#3 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

Damn this was better than I thought it would be

They actually spent time to focus on world building, setting up the mechanics of the world as well and even add in a bit of mystery in the side

So far it looks like it's going to be heavily focused on teams which is a good thing in my books because that shows that this series will most likely be character driven as well

The characters themselves aren't anything we haven't seen before but th.being in a group will surely make their interactions and development a lot more satisfying to see....Also I'm glad to see that nobody is OP for no reason

Pretty good start overall, pretty nice pacing and animation and I absolutely love the art style of the backgrounds and the music....No over the top fanservice either, but the small hints of it works fine for me

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#4 DarkusSlayer

DarkusSlayer

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

I enjoyed it! I've been looking forward to this anime. I like the characters a lot, and can't wait to learn more about them and the world.

s4xjkl.png

#5 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

I can already see that there's gonna be a split in regards to the ending with the bath with some being glad that they didn't show the girls naked and those that wanted to see lol

Personally I would have been fine with either outcome, but then going with the former makes me want to take the series more seriously since it's not fanservice heavy which isn't a bad thing for me at all btw

The beginning scenes with Haruhiro and Manato plus the second half of the episode were very calm and sweet, and it was nice to see our main characters interact with each other and the world around them etc....This series in general is just doing a great job at making this feel authentic and I love it....The insert song was fitting for the scene imo but it felt kinda random though lol

However, that fight with the goblin was super intense and I loved every bit of it....It felt real to me from beginning to end becaue I kinda felt where they were coming from with their thoughts and doubts etc and seeing how they all felt when they killed the thing was quite the sight to see and imo is pretty normal

Great episode overall and I love the pacing, plus the visuals for the OP and the ED and in general were great too

Edited by Tokoya, 17 January 2016 - 12:15 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#6 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

I gotta say, I got a good chuckle out of the music montage when it looked like it was over just for the song to start all over from the top, as if it was stubbornly refusing to die. I loved it, I mean-- I just thought it was amusing.

Honestly, there is a surprising amount of interesting series for winter. Probably more than last season.

Edited by Athos, 17 January 2016 - 09:01 PM.

• Tokoya likes this

samisig.jpg

#7 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Glad to hear that this stuff got adapted well

The pacing stayed the same which doesn't bother me at all and we pretty much got more of the same (Nice world building, good characterization and interactions and solemn moments)

I heard last week from some LN readers that something big was supposed to happen and I thought that it was going to happen this week but I guess it's gonna happen in the next episode

Overall good episode, and as usual the music and visuals were great

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#8 DarkusSlayer

DarkusSlayer

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Really enjoying the pacing of this anime. Not too fast, and not too slow. Just perfect.

s4xjkl.png

#9 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

I'm conflicted about this anime. I have a couple of gripes, Haru's voice actor and Shihoru's character but I can't bring myself to dislike the anime even if I'm not sure what I really like about it. I love the art style, I love the music, the characters and character interaction are decent but not enough to really captivate me, the story is familiar but with a slight twist so I'm not bored every episode. Overall this anime is entertaining and I look forward to watching it every week even if I'm not sure why. I hate to use french expressions but the "je ne sais quoi" element really embodies what sets this show apart from the generic light novel series that have been coming out the last couple years.

#10 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

This was a really great post regarding today's episode that I thought I would share

To clear some things up. What happened in this episode introduced us to a dark side which will control this story. Death is an omnipotent thing that can happen anytime to anyone, that’s what this tries you to teach.

For the first time they’ve faced the consequences of their actions in the most direct way, death.

Some people maybe think now „I can’t feel bad for his death when I barely knew him as a character“ and yes that’s somewhat the point.

Neither we or them really knew Manato as a person. We as the viewer and them as a team were on the way to get to know each other more but with a finger snap he’s gone like that, forever. It’s supposed to show us and them how fast a human being can die in the blink of an eye and because of a single mistake.

And we see how hard his death hits them emotionally. Each character reacts individually to this and will develop into a different direction. This is the first of many traumatizing things they will have to suffer. First the act of killing but now they face an even more traumatizing experience. The death of a human being that they have known and spent every single day with. It’s actually interesting to see how every single one of them has a different facial expression and gestures, shows you how those basic characters slowly develop into actual complex characters.

So what mistake did they actually do that cost Manato his life? Both Manato and the others made mistakes over and over again without knowing it.

- Manato was way too cautious. He basically healed every single wound even if it was just a scratch and hurt a little bit which caused him to run out of stamina really fast. You can’t blame him he was scarred about the others’ well being and maybe also couldn’t estimate the seriousness of the wound. So in the end it all came down to inexperience and lack of communication.

- Also did you realize that their priest, their healer, was constantly at the front lines basically acting like a tank? The one class that was supposed to be the farthest away from battle was the focus of the battle instead. This was bound to fail sooner or later but they couldn’t help it.

Now they are deprived of their healer, their leader and most of all their voice of reason. If you think about it Manato did a lot of things therefore his loss is especially hard for them.

Manato supervised their finances, he gathered information about good hunting grounds, he planned what they would do each day, he made the strategies and made the calls for certain actions in combat and most of all he was the person that brought them together and kept them together.

-For Shihoru he was the person to see her weak personality and comfort her. They emphasized on that with the scene at the start

-For Yume he was the most caring person who looked out for others, especially Shihoru.

-For Haruhiro he was the closes to a friend in this world.

-For Ranta, well I guess he was the one keeping him at a leash.

-For Mogzo he was another person with a rather calm personality with whom he could be at ease.

Now all that is gone and you see how hard it hits them. Right now they don’t have a perspective and not the will to go on. Soon enough they will have to move on and they have to ask themselves… Where do we find ourselves another healer? Who will be the leader from now on? How do they have to change in battle, where can they improve and let something like that not happen again? These are some of the things that we will have to see in the upcoming episodes.

I simply love the ending sequence where they show how they say their goodbyes to Manato by scattering his cremated remains with the wind

As a LN reader I'm satisfied.

Now for my thoughts

Spoiler

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#11 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

Again! They did it again! They do the song and it's great and emotional and right when it's about to end on a good note... it just keeps playing! For no reason! I'm not even exaggerating, the song loops back and the show spends the rest of the episode on exactly the same still, just... listening to it. I can't decide whether it's amazing or terrible.

Well, at least it was better than what Gintama did...

...anyways. Add this to the number of series this season that I hope gets a modest ending so I can recommend it.

Edited by Athos, 31 January 2016 - 03:22 PM.

samisig.jpg

#12 DarkusSlayer

DarkusSlayer

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

Damn, that was pretty sad. Excellent animation for that ending moment.

s4xjkl.png

#13 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

I knew after the Manato and Shihoru scene that one of them was probably going to die and Manato had the standard cliché "I'm going to die" lines which even before Haru's obvious foreshadowing, pegged him as the first casualty. Honestly I always felt that Haruhiro, as the main character couldn't coexist with Manato as the leader. Sure they were the closest ones to being friends but I think them splitting up was inevitable. It is sad one of them had to die like that though.
As for how the production staff handled it, that was definitely one of the more emotional deaths I've seen especially for a character I barely had any time to get attached to.
I need to catch up on Showa Rakugo but so far this is the most artistic anime of the season

#14 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

I really like the new visuals in the OP =o

Loved the little raid that they had in the beginning and I'm just loving Mary more and more with each episode, but I'm sorry to hear about her past :(

Everyone in the party are growing so nicely too, the character development is all around is great

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#15 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

My god people. The anilikz comment section makes me lose faith in the anime viewing community. So many people there don't understand how to appreciate a series like this.

#16 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

My god people. The anilikz comment section makes me lose faith in the anime viewing community. So many people there don't understand how to appreciate a series like this.

A lot of people are idiots nowadays....I've learned to just ignore them

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#17 death2boredom

death2boredom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

A lot of people are idiots nowadays....I've learned to just ignore them

I can't help but leave a couple comments every once and a while, especially with a series like this.

• Tokoya likes this

#18 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

I only browse those comments for the occasional CM gem or if we're watching a long series and needed to check for fillers. It's damn near impossible to find a comment section where the majority of posters are sensible.
That being said this series is a lot of fun. It seems more like a work of art than an adventure anime but that's part of what makes it so enjoyable. This is probably the best art in any anime, except for Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou.
I always had a feeling Mary had some tragic past. She was showing all the signs of a character with a lot of baggage or demons that makes her come off unapproachable and mean but is really a nice person when she opens up. None of the characters in the show are original but the character development is well done

#19 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Last week's episode was really good....

Loved to see how everyone upgraded and it's great to see Mary interacting with them more

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#20 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

Best episode of the series....Best episode of the week....Perfection is what this was imo

This is all that I really new to say, the Goblin Slayers went absolutely HAM in the first half and that entire battle was just perfect

The art and animation as fluid, the OST was fitting and added to the mood, the tone was great andtge intensity of it all was just too awesome....Everyone fought and played their roles so well and with so much heart and passion and I cheered so hard when Haruhiko avenged Manato

This aplies to the entire episode really because that scene at the graveyard and then the final scene with Mary who is just a joy to watch was simply beautiful and nothing less....She and Hal (Dat nickname lol) are way too cute together and now I know why my LN friends ship them so hard

This felt like a finale really and I wouldn't hesitate to rate this series a 9/10 if it was the end....I am so proud of them all and seeing them but Manato's tags brought a tear to my eye
  • death2boredom likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users