Kimetsu no Yaiba

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

main_kimetsu-thumb-661xauto-3396.jpg

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Genre: Historical, Horror, Action, Shounen
Author: Gotouge Koyoharu
Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
Publisher: Shueisha

Tanjiro is the eldest son in a family that has lost its father. Tanjiro visits another town one day to sell charcoal but ends up staying the night at someone else's house instead of going home because of a rumor about a demon that stalks a nearby mountain at night. When he goes home the next day, tragedy is waiting for him.

Chapter 1

#2 Groundking

Groundking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Does the art for this ever improve? Read it up to chapter 30 or so (just after the crazy house that kept changing around with the kid with the boar head on)

#3 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

This manga has had a lot of positive reception from what I gathered, and with an Anime now announced for this series, I decided to take a plunge and see what it's all about.

After going through 112 chapters, the long and short is, Kimetsu no Yaiba is a surprisingly good story. It may not have been a breakout hit like Academia or Neverland was, but instead it takes the time it needs, executes the battle manga formula very well, reduces wastage and reinforces several aspects of its role as a piece of fiction.

To give a comparison, it brings the same flavour as Fullmetal Alchemist: nothing ever feels pointless, things go at a steady pace, it can be silly without being stupid, characters and events feel smart, and most of all, you can feel the author has a game plan they want to carry out.

---

Story
Set in the Taisho period of Japan (1912 - 1926), lurking in the underbelly of a changing Japan are the Demons/Oni. These beings that feed on humans are nigh-immortal, and can only be slain by exposure to sunlight, poison from Wisteria flowers, or the Nichirin Blades of the Demon Killing Corps, an unofficial organisation that has made the eradication of Demons their purpose of existence.

In the countryside lived the Kamado family, a humble family of charcoal burners (ie makers) in the mountains. With their father having passed away from illness, the eldest son Tanjirou works hard as the man of the house to take care of his mother and his siblings.

Tragedy struck, when after an overnight business trip to the nearby town, Tanjirou returns to find his home soaked in the blood of his family. Only the eldest daughter Nezuko survived, but he soon discovers that she's been turned into a Demon as a result of the attack.

Yet, all hope is not lost: he sees that her humanity still lingers within her.
Thus, the siblings set out on their journey, to find and slay the one responsible for their family's demise and search for a cure for Nezuko.

(more to come)

Does the art for this ever improve? Read it up to chapter 30 or so (just after the crazy house that kept changing around with the kid with the boar head on)

Art and Style

Given that the story is going for a Japanese folktale-like tone, I've never had to complain about the art at all. If anything, I felt Gotouge Koyoharu's artwork from the start has been perfectly fitting for the story at hand, and only draws more and more cool stuff as she goes.

The character artwork strikes the balance between traditional folktale and anime without ever being too outlandish, the Demons look like they would fit in art scrolls, and true to the Taisho setting, there are mixes of classic and modern items and background all around.

The pacing never feels too slow or too fast, set at just the right speed to always make progress while knowing when to take a breather.
A common sentiment is that the start is slow (until Ch 20), but it all works out to set the foundation and direction for the rest of the story.

And to make another favourable comparison with Fullmetal Alchemist, when it comes to comedy, at times Gotouge-sensei feels as though she's taking a few leaves out of Arakawa-sensei's book: you would think the journey of the main duo is going to be grim and forlorn, but the siblings find ways to remain positive and are capable of being silly.

In fact, after Gotouge-sensei got the groove of the story going, when it becomes time for humour, she goes into a "lazy" artstyle that somehow doesn't break immersion of the story. It's a lot of fun actually.

But when it becomes time to be serious, whether it's intense fights or emotional moments, her art accomplishes the job. The battle techniques usually have such fancy effect flairs to them that imagining how they flow is easy, and character expressions feel alive and dynamic.

(more to come)

• PunkHazard likes this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#4 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

Characters

Of course, the characters have a huge say in the enjoyment of the series. It's by no means overly huge, and their designs are distinct enough to distinguish between them, so one won't require too much effort to remember them. 

What's great is that not many characters fall into a cliche, and not many come with a personality quirk that reaches obnoxious levels. Whatever the case, the character interactions are fun to watch.

But the spark of the series still lie with the two Kamado siblings.

Kamado Tanjirou
The older brother is one amazing protagonist. Between being effectively forced to be the man of the house and having most of his family killed, you would think all the tragedy would make him gloomy, bitter and/or easily agitated.

Instead, the pain and sorrow he carries in his heart doesn't stop Tanjirou from being who he is: earnest, diligent, kind, encouraging, understanding and faces the challenges ahead with a smile. He's humble and polite, a good boy through and through.

He's wise and mature beyond his age, yet retains the bright innocence of a country boy who is venturing beyond the borders of his humble mountain cottage. It sounds cliche, but the former is convincing specifically because you can sense the hardship he's been through.

In battle, he's smart and observant, always aiming to figure out the pattern of his opponent and search for openings in their defenses to exploit, or just finding ways to contribute to the battle. He's not as analytical as say, Academia's Midoriya Izuku, but still way above merely chucking attack after attack on the opposition.
Half the times with him still carrying his sister on his back.

But for all his positives, among his most defining traits is his sheer sense of empathy. He doesn't hesitate in battle and will definitely get the job done; but when the result is set in stone, to the Demons that still hold shreds of humanity, he will bring them consolation in their final moments and pray that they won't be Demons in the next life.

I've seen people compare him to D Grayman's Allen Walker, but since I've never read that manga, my own comparison is with Fullmetal Alchemist's Edward Elric, minus the hair trigger, with a dash of Shaman King's Asakura Yoh's compassion.

True to his name, Kamado Tanjirou is like coal ("tan") on a snowy day, or a tiny sun to part the clouds, an all-around likable protagonist. Gotouge-sensei's interpretation of the ideal eldest son/brother of a Japanese family is perfect for this folktale of hers.

---

Kamado Nezuko
With my summary of the story above, you would think that the little sister would be relegated to a damsel-in-distress role.
In fact, Gotouge-sensei had a much different idea in mind: Nezuko is not Tanjirou's burden-in-a-box, she's his guard, shield and comrade.

Although Tanjirou understandably has to keep an eye on her, Nezuko's state of mind is stabilised to the point that she can operate semi-autonomously as a fellow combatant. Despite how her state of being is what they're aiming to fix, he's not afraid to take advantage of her condition, and lets her fight with her demonic might as a brawler, along with her powers that offer quite a bit of utility. (Kind of like with Alphonse Elric actually)
It is great to see the two siblings defend each other to the death.

She spends a lot of time sleeping (as an alternative way to recover strength) so her screentime is nowhere as much as her brother, and she's effectively a semi-mute character due to her bamboo muzzle. Yet, these only make her appearances more delightful, and her silentness adds their own charm to her character.

What's great to see with her is that, despite being turned into a Demon, she holds a fair amount of her personality as a human: loyal to her sole remaining family, and protective to those she perceives as her allies. It makes any human action she takes a joy to see.

I do have two relatively minor gripes with her character though:

1. It would be nice to have more insight to her thoughts, if only to further assure us of her humanity. I would want her to write her thoughts down even if she can't speak, but that brings into question the average literacy levels of countryside girls in the Taisho period, so I'm willing to let this slide.

2. While all of her human appearances in the story give her the poise of the mature and graceful eldest sister of the family, her present day portrayal while living as a Demon have placed more emphasis on her position as Tanjirou's cute, adorable younger sister.
The latter isn't a big problem, but personal taste-wise, it would be nice if we could see more of that poise in her Demon self. But I'm sure Gotouge-sensei has her own idea of how to reconcile this eventually.

Overall, instead of being stuck in a princess-to-be-saved role, I must applaud Gotouge-sensei for making Kamado Nezuko one of the most active, useful and likable female leads in Jump ever. Seriously, it's satisfying to see the brother and sister duo be such excellent male and female leads respectively.

(more to come)

Positives

- Plenty of substance per chapter, nothing ever drags out
- Good world-building at a steady pace, no real info dump out of nowhere
- Good supporting cast to supplement the strong leading duo, with the 2 other primary party members being fun in their own right
- Great and intense fight choregraphy, with smart combatants and artwork that become better and better as time goes
- As of the last major fight's conclusion, the power tiers in the conflict are pretty well-defined. There's a great distance, albeit not unfair, not like say Twin Star Exorcists' power tier
- Every character contributes one way or another, no one ever feels excessive (also like with Fullmetal actually)
- Gotouge-sensei has a nice knack for humour
- Plenty of mysteries to go around, but not overwhelming
- Main villain is intimidating at the right level

Negatives

- "Slow" start to some people
- Includes the same kind of violence and gore as Claymore, so your mileage will vary
- Power tier of who stands where took a long time to be properly laid out
- Some phenomenon take a long time to be explained or addressed, so may come across as "ass-pulls" at first glance
- Some fan service, but thankfully not much (like, about same amount as Fullmetal had)

I would certainly recommend this hidden gem of the current Jump line up to everyone. Seriously, it's hidden gem status is equal to that of Sket Dance.

P.S. I know, I've made way too much Fullmetal Alchemist comparisons, but I can't help but feel that Gotouge Koyoharu just so happens to take the same "stance" as Arakawa Hiromu in many respects: be it low level power scaling; succinct mysteries; supposedly somber yet lively journey, and making sure every character has a purpose
Seriously, what is up with female Mangaka that happen to make amazing Shonen series?

Edited by gamria, 11 June 2018 - 07:21 AM.

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#5 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:49 AM

Good review. Made me want to try to start readin this again. Lol you think u could do a review for every other manga im on the fence about?

#6 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

Good review. Made me want to try to start readin this again. Lol you think u could do a review for every other manga im on the fence about?

That's a tall order. For starters, the stuff you're on the fence about may be stuff I've never read before

Plus, I wind up putting more effort than I should with these long posts

---

Man, I really want to post more in this thread. But between being the only one eager to post anything and the way each chapter is so quick and short (but with enough substance at that), it gives a terrible feeling of a one man band.

• PunkHazard likes this

#7 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

@gamria
Should have saw the above.
I'll be main person to to converse if you want.

I actually started to read the series a few weeks before you did.
Actually, when I first saw the series in Jump Start, chapter 1-3 didn't stand out to me.

Imagine my surprise was interested in chapters 93 volume cover and seeing it same series I didn't like at first.

My review for now (will go more in depth latter):
It is exactly like Claymore in terms of fighting
Main cast is different style though.

I like Claymore, the monthly vs weekly series make a big difference.
Series is known for having great fight choregraphy.
Issue is it seems like drags on, so it makes it look like same chapter for a few weeks.

For example, last arc had multiple chapters of why can't we cut off this person head.

#8 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

@YyAoMmIi Thanks for the offer

The fact that not everyone has a similar appearance and weapon is already a plus from Claymore.

When it comes to cliffhangers ... I'd admit, the prior Red Light District arc had way too many beheading cliffhangers. Only started happening here too.
Thankfully, Gotouge-sensei seems to have learnt her lesson and minimised them in the current Blacksmith Village arc.

I will also admit that while reading the fights in one go is a total thrill, reading them weekly one by one feels unsatisfactory. Not because they're slow or the people talk/think too much, but it's because the pace of the action is so fast, you want more.
Then again, weekly helpings are still so much better than monthly helpings.

On the choreography side of things, they have noticeably gotten better over time, with the stuff in the last two arcs being pretty mighty intense. Note that Gotouge has started drawing more double action spreads.

Team battles are pretty good too. I'm glad that all combatants gradually find their groove on how to contribute to the fight at hand.

Also, the fandoms all feel that after the Red Light District arc, the power tiers are very well defined, such that in the current Blacksmith Village arc, readers paid more effort to speculate on a gimmick for the current boss, for something that'll match the trickiness of the previous boss.

If the standard can be maintained, Gotouge-sensei should be good for the moment

#9 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

Ya, each character is more unique then claymore.
Though I did mix up mist and water Pilar this arc. And forgot who was the water Pilar when I reread the story and saw the Pilar gathering.

This arcs, what the demons trick, still feels long.

Especially when it unclear since it just 1 demon attacking and his familars. But I don't get current split?

#10 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:03 AM

The gimmick with Hantengu is his Blood Demon Art, "Cloning".

Whenever he feels threatened, he splinters off clones when struck. Usually, it's 4 clones, each based on the Primal Emotions: Joy, Anger, Sadness and Anticipation. These 4 that can endlessly regenerate serve to fight in place of the core Hantengu, who is small, has iron defenses and embodies the emotion of "Fear" himself.

The more Hantengu felt threatened, the stronger the clones become. Since the 4 aren't up to the task, they instead combined into one super strong demon, embodying "Hate".

(These emotions originated from an old Chinese concept by the way)

So the current split is core Hantengu + super strong Hate clone

I can see why he's Upper Moon Four and above Gyuutarou and Daki: he can spawn clones that are nigh-unkillable, and he himself is nigh-indestructible. He can pretty much gang up and wear down most opponents and outlast them.
Just this fight alone, if Nezuko and Genya hadn't operated as tanks, he would've killed Tanjirou's group several times over already.

---

As for this arc feeling long, I can't deny that. Gotouge-sensei is juggling between 3 frontiers for the current crisis, including 2 long fights against 2 high tier enemies, while aiming to develop 2 (possibly a 3rd?) characters at the same time.
That's a lot on the menu, and risky too. Furthermore, the previous arc was close to 30 chapters long, and I can't see the current arc being shorter than that (20 chapters thus far)

Thankfully the flashbacks are short and succinct, the individual fights still progress at a decent enough pace, and best of all, the series is still sticking around in the Top 5 of the Jump TOC.

#11 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

That part I understand.
I mean the current battle of below.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/414342

Didn't all clone fused?
Is he an emotion?

#12 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

That part I understand.
I mean the current battle of below.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/414342

Didn't all clone fused?
Is he an emotion?

I have no idea why core Hantengu is already embodying an emotion himself. Although, there is speculation that he had some kind of split personality prior to becoming a demon.

In any case, we now have to get past his super clone before we can get to the real thing.

As for Gyokko, we're still kind of figuring out what his gimmick is. He's constantly summoning familiars and weaponry, but how do we slay him?

Do we destroy all his pots? Strike him before he gets to move between pots? Have people wait by each pot to guarantee a hit altogether?

#13 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

Gyokko?
I mean isn't he related to the that demon splitting thing with emotions?

#14 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:47 AM

...no, what brought about that conclusion?

The emotion cloning demon that Tanjirou's group are facing is Hantengu, Upper Moon Four.

The pot demon with the summons that Muichirou is facing is Gyokko, Upper Moon Five.

They are two separate beings

#15 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

Y I assumed this was all 1 UM attack

#16 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

Anime Character Designs for Tanjirou and Nezuko:

DjpFXYJUUAISKTp.jpg

They both look great, true to the original art style. I liked that they included Human Nezuko in there as well

#17 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/423446

Thoughts?
Seen this is is first time fan base is divided over the fact the UM goes down fast.

Yes, he did have the title of strongest pillar before Sun Breath mode too.

My own thoughts was the title of strongest was meaningless if you don't remember. Series could do better with fillier chapters so we know a bit about the characters before their arc.

Before their own arc, the only pillar I remember was guy guys brother.

In terms of tier, we have no way to judge UM 6, the sound pillar, vs mist to do well.

#18 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/423446

Thoughts?
Seen this is is first time fan base is divided over the fact the UM goes down fast.

Yes, he did have the title of strongest pillar before Sun Breath mode too.

My own thoughts was the title of strongest was meaningless if you don't remember. Series could do better with fillier chapters so we know a bit about the characters before their arc.

Before their own arc, the only pillar I remember was guy guys brother.

In terms of tier, we have no way to judge UM 6, the sound pillar, vs mist to do well.

Not "strongest", but Mist and Rock were noted to be geniuses who ascended the ranks quickly.

After reading the Chinese Scans of the chapter some days ago, I dreaded that division will come in the fanbase about this.

You know, thinking back on it, back when Tomioka defeated Lower Moon 5 Rui, I believe there was the sentiment that "if the Pillars were able to one of the Twelve Demon Moons so easily, why are they still losing?"
After that, it took like 8 chapters, which comes to about 2 months, for Gotouge-sensei to provide an answer to that, what with the emphasis between the Lower and Upper Moons.

At present, even though Gyokko hasn't been fully confirmed to be dead yet, we're in a similar dilemma with Tokitou solo'ing Gyokko the way he did. But this time, there's going to be more debate about the attributes on both combatants and how they stack up.

The fact that Gotouge-sensei's pace on the information front is slow won't help on this matter, worsened by a 2 week break until the next chapter.

Even so, for the moment, I shall be patient with Gotouge-sensei, and hope that she knows what she's doing.
Given how decently she's managed to execute this Shonen story thus far, she has to have a good grasp on the power scale, including the hazards of putting someone overpowered on the good guys' side while the credible threats on the bad guys are limited.

And personally, I can think of a few ways that some sort of "trade-off" will befall Tokitou for his power-up, without something absurd like killing him off

#19 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

Chapter 122

https://mangadex.org/chapter/434461

Interesting that while Sun mode gives resistance to demonic poison, it doesn't actually purify it away. You would still need Nezuko for that.

It's official: without his power-up, Tokitou would definitely have succumbed to the poison and lost to Gyokko. Goes to show how crazy absurd the power-up is.

Now it's a question of how Gotouge-sensei will manage his appearances.

Hantengu's Hate clone is confirmed to have multi-elemental powers, looking forward to the rest of his fight.

I hope Mitsuri won't incur injuries from having to rescue Nezuko and Genya, that would just be sad and lead to complaints about how the kids are being a burden.

Edited by gamria, 21 August 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#20 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

Chapter 124

https://mangadex.org/chapter/444150

Here we see once again what's great about the teamwork in Kimetsu. It's not about ganging up and overpowering the enemy, but making sure everyone can contribute and are allocated to the frontiers they're most needed at

Nezuko is great, practically casting magic and sword magic in one stroke

---

We have confirmation that Genya has "enhanced" taste. Given how the other four all provide detection aid, I did wonder how a prospective "taste" sense would work.

What Gotouge-sensei gave us was surprising, yet sort of neat, devouring Demon flesh grants him temporary Demonic abilities, kind of like a Blue Mage.

Honestly, I'm OK with this idea. Since humans turn into Demons when Muzan infects them with his blood, then Genya devouring Demon flesh is effectively consuming Muzan blood to temporarily infect himself with Demonic attributes. The explanation that devouring stronger Demons give him greater powers reinforces this notion, since stronger Demons are supposed to possess more of Muzan's blood.

Seriously, the lore behind the enemy really feels like Shingeki no Kyojin at times. While they may seem like fantasy at most, there's such a medical/biological undertone in the explanations we get that you can't help but feel that there's something magical-sciencey behind their nature.

Makes one wonder what would happen if Genya is ever desperate enough to consume flesh or blood from Nezuko

Also, if the next arc will be about Tanjirou and Nezuko catching up with Tamayo, it might be cool if we can bring Genya along for examination

Or, we'll be in for another stay at the Butterfly Inn, with Shinobu explaining her analysis thus far of Genya's talent

---

Man, between devouring Demon flesh and the reignited mystery of the body Marks, Gotouge-sensei has a lot of new mysteries to explain

Now we're really waiting for Genya and Kanao to join the crew in proper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users