#21 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

Just caught up and read this manga yday and I gotta say I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. But I have to admit that even after 124 chapters I never really got used to the artwork. Its jus not good to me.

I like the characters and story for the most part. The abilities of the demon slayers are a lil boring to me tho. I kinda wish they had special powers like the demons do and not jus swordsmanship. It makes the fight look more interesting for the demons then the humans

Edited by PunkHazard, 06 September 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#22 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

I admit the art sucks.

But if you read a lot martial arts fighting, the sword skills is practically a special power in itself.

Kinda like monster hunger game seried

#23 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

I admit the art sucks.

But if you read a lot martial arts fighting, the sword skills is practically a special power in itself.

Kinda like monster hunger game seried

i agree that if done right the martial arts could be like its own power. But in this manga the abilities are hard to actually discern. Like wen the main guy does his dance of flame attacks is it actually creating flames and burning him opponents or is it jus the representation of his fighting spirit and techniques?

#24 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

i agree that if done right the martial arts could be like its own power. But in this manga the abilities are hard to actually discern. Like wen the main guy does his dance of flame attacks is it actually creating flames and burning him opponents or is it jus the representation of his fighting spirit and techniques?

Most of the water, fire, lightning effects and so on are just representational flairs. Except for when Nezuko casts her Blazing Blood onto Tanjirou's sword, none of the Breath techniques ever create actual elements.

There are Chinese Martial Arts that characterise certain stances and forms as mantises, tigers, cranes, etc. So fictional sword disciplines styling themselves like elements are fair game.

Just caught up and read this manga yday and I gotta say I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. But I have to admit that even after 124 chapters I never really got used to the artwork. Its jus not good to me.

Judging the art by the manga artstyles that I'm used to, I'll admit that I had originally found it jarring

However, between the effect flairs, demon designs, backgrounds and aesthetics and the plot as a whole, I realised that "manga artstyle" was probably not what Gotouge-sensei was aiming for for Kimetsu.

As most exemplified by the recent Summary Wheel (from Ch 1 to 97), I believe that Gotouge-sensei fashioned her approach on the artwork after old Japanese paintings and scrolls. As in, the kind that depicts Japanese folklore, with Yokai and Oni and legendary figures. For those who've seen or played Okami, you probably know what style I'm referring to.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/359512

So when I started judging the art from a folklore perspective, I find it pretty fitting actually, daring too

Edited by gamria, 09 September 2018 - 07:55 AM.

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#25 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

Most of the water, fire, lightning effects and so on are just representational flairs. Except for when Nezuko casts her Blazing Blood onto Tanjirou's sword, none of the Breath techniques ever create actual elements.

There are Chinese Martial Arts that characterise certain stances and forms as mantises, tigers, cranes, etc. So fictional sword disciplines styling themselves like elements are fair game.

Judging the art by the manga artstyles that I'm used to, I'll admit that I had originally found it jarring

However, between the effect flairs, demon designs, backgrounds and aesthetics and the plot as a whole, I realised that "manga artstyle" was probably not what Gotouge-sensei was aiming for for Kimetsu.
As most exemplified by the recent Summary Wheel (from Ch 1 to 97), I believe that Gotouge-sensei fashioned her approach on the artwork after old Japanese paintings and scrolls. As in, the kind that depicts Japanese folklore, with Yokai and Oni and legendary figures. For those who've seen or played Okami, you probably know what style I'm referring to.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/359512

So when I started judging the art from a folklore perspective, I find it pretty fitting actually, daring too

so yea as far as there abilities go they’re really jus swinging swords around while the demons get to have magic attacks and stuff. The demon slayers jus arent as interesting wen it comes to the fights, which is so annoying

And as for the art, i am familiar with the art style your referring too and I like the idea of drawing like that. The drawing itself tho jus doesnt seem as fluid as it should be, like some parts of the story, body parts, some motion lines look awkward.

The style in general I dont mind, im kool wit any drawing style as long as its done well. Thats why anime like Mob psycho Is my favorite. Cause it looks weird but the fluidity of the art is perfect as opposed to most anime where the drawings and characters designs look beautiful but the actual drawing style is choppy and rigid. Basically the difference between the art look amazing wen its motionless but wen things start moving the art starts to look awkward.

All in all some parts of this manga style seems like it comes from a lack of skill rather then an artistic choice. It can get better tho

Edited by PunkHazard, 09 September 2018 - 09:06 AM.

#26 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:56 AM

so yea as far as there abilities go they’re really jus swinging swords around while the demons get to have magic attacks and stuff. The demon slayers jus arent as interesting wen it comes to the fights, which is so annoying

And as for the art, i am familiar with the art style your referring too and I like the idea of drawing like that. The drawing itself tho jus doesnt seem as fluid as it should be, like some parts of the story, body parts, some motion lines look awkward.

The style in general I dont mind, im kool wit any drawing style as long as its done well. Thats why anime like Mob psycho Is my favorite. Cause it looks weird but the fluidity of the art is perfect as opposed to most anime where the drawings and characters designs look beautiful but the actual drawing style is choppy and rigid. Basically the difference between the art look amazing wen its motionless but wen things start moving the art starts to look awkward.

All in all some parts of this manga style seems like it comes from a lack of skill rather then an artistic choice. It can get better tho

Well this is Gotouge-sensei's first serialisation, so it would be understandable if the art needs refining

Personally, I like the asymmetry of the abilities between the two sides, to show how tough things are for the humans. And unlike with say Twin Stars Exorcists, the playing field here is more balanced that it's actually acceptable.

Besides, given the biological/medical undertone to the whole phenomena with Muzan and the demons, having actual magic will get messy real quick

Although, it would be nice if the demon slayers can develop more neat tools for battle. We've already seen Shinobu's Poison Sting and the Wisteria Poison Kunai from Tengen's wife, I would be welcome to see more items too.

Edited by gamria, 10 September 2018 - 07:56 AM.

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#27 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Yea I agree id definitely be open to more unique items and weapons. Even without abilities that would make the demon slayers fighting styles more interesting.

And wat do u mean about Twin start exorcist? I feel like the battle Machanic of that manga between the 2 sides is more even then this one. Even mangas like Tokyo Ghoul, the 2 sides are about even. And usually the demons/ghouls/impurities usually have a natural edge in terms of physical abilities in battle. Even wit the disadvantage the humans usually start with those mangas do a good job of balancing things out. But this one doesn’t really seem to do that in my book. It makes it a little weird weneva a demon slayer beats a demon. It feels like they only won to fit the story not cause they are actually supposed to be stronger

#28 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

And wat do u mean about Twin start exorcist? I feel like the battle Machanic of that manga between the 2 sides is more even then this one. Even mangas like Tokyo Ghoul, the 2 sides are about even. And usually the demons/ghouls/impurities usually have a natural edge in terms of physical abilities in battle. Even wit the disadvantage the humans usually start with those mangas do a good job of balancing things out. But this one doesn’t really seem to do that in my book. It makes it a little weird weneva a demon slayer beats a demon. It feels like they only won to fit the story not cause they are actually supposed to be stronger

Oops, I was writing from the perspective of following the raws, pardon me.

#29 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

Honestly, due to above reasons, stated by PH, I don't enjoy KoY as much as something like Black Clover.
Not to mention how it feel like fight dragging out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/446867

Who was breath of Thunder user again?

#30 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

Honestly, due to above reasons, stated by PH, I don't enjoy KoY as much as something like Black Clover.
Not to mention how it feel like fight dragging out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/446867

Who was breath of Thunder user again?

exactly. Tho I like this manga way more then Black Clover. Black Clover art is definitely better but that manga has a whole list of other problems then i cant even begin to get into right now. This manga is still entertaining even if the art isnt good while black clover’s art is good but is jus fundamentally bad to me. The author of this one and the artist of black clover should jus join forces to make oone big super manga.

And the user of thunder is that cry baby coward guy. Who is only strong wen he’s unconscious. Cant remember his name

#31 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

Ah him. Easy to forget due to how long the arc been going.

On one hand, I see issues of how demons are OP and strange human stand even a chance.

Then I realize the game Monster Hunter.

#32 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

Ah him. Easy to forget due to how long the arc been going.

On one hand, I see issues of how demons are OP and strange human stand even a chance.

Then I realize the game Monster Hunter.

thats exactly wat I was saying. The power balance is way off. It makes it feel weird wenever the humans win

#33 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

thats exactly wat I was saying. The power balance is way off. It makes it feel weird wenever the humans win

Well I did say due to issues you brought up earlier....

I thẹn realize such a big gap can be made with skill. Aka monster hunter games.

#34 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:34 AM

Well I did say due to issues you brought up earlier....

I thẹn realize such a big gap can be made with skill. Aka monster hunter games.

yea i was jus agreeing with you by reiterating my point. Wasnt tryna say it like i was disagreeing wit u. Sorry if it came across that way

#35 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:21 AM

While the 1 vs 1 battles aren't bad, I found the team battles mightily intense. There's something about multiple weaker combatants going against a much stronger foe that draws me in.

That being said, putting multiple high-tier opponents back to back would not be my optimal choice. It's arguably the worst aspect of this arc.

Things aren't bad right now, but at this point, (i) what the next arc will be about and (ii) how well all the mysteries will be answered will make or break the series. I really don't want Gotouge-sensei to shoot herself on the foot

#36 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/448613

1) I don't get how he says once it sunrise they lose, demons get away. Wouldnt the demons die?

2) so there the mystery of how she survived

#37 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

I think cause she’s a special case that shes actually half human and half demon so in the sun she turns back to human and at night she turns into a demon. They jus never knew cause they never took the chance to test it.

Edited by PunkHazard, 15 September 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#38 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:23 PM

1) I don't get how he says once it sunrise they lose, demons get away. Wouldnt the demons die?

1. If you're referring to Tanjirou's statement at the start of Ch 125 (last week's), it's that they risk Hantengu fleeing like Akaza did, when he fled before the sun gets him killed

Chapter 126

When I was browsing the Shonen Jump Baidu board, I got spoiled on the ending of this week's chapter. At first I didn't believe it, then I got ticked that I got spoiled.

That being said, the events that actually led up to it was compelling. The Kamado siblings are so likable.

2) so there the mystery of how she survived

I think cause she’s a special case that shes actually half human and half demon so in the sun she turns back to human and at night she turns into a demon. They jus never knew cause they never took the chance to test it.

2. I'll trust that Gotouge-sensei knows what she's doing. After all, this entire time the exact nature of Nezuko's state of being has been shrouded in mystery, with only in-universe speculation to go on.

To recap:

• Considerable strength even without consuming human flesh or blood
  • Has regeneration that's on par with the Upper Moons
  • The fire from her Blood Demon Art has the same purification effects as sunlight

Going over the internet, there are two major camps of thought as to why sunlight, while very evidently still burns her, didn't kill her:

(1) Given how all demons are effectively infected humans, that pretty much makes all of them half-humans, so I rule out that as an explanation.

However, if the Demonification in this story is in fact an infection of sorts meant to give pseudo-immortality, and consuming human cells propagates it, then what actually happens if Demons don't actually consume any?

Could it be that because Nezuko hadn't eaten any humans at all, there's a limit to how much of Muzan's cells are actually in her body? And while the sunlight burns these away, because the Demonification didn't get to propagate much, her body still mainly consists of cellular material that sunlight doesn't affect?

This is a shaky theory though. After all, Nezuko still has fangs, claws and pink eyes that show her demonic traits are still there.

(2) On 4chan, somebody pointed this out from Chapter 39, when Tanjirou's life flashed before his eyes

https://mangadex.org/chapter/48582/18

In one of the panels here, you can see a Spider Lily. And it's not shaded like it's the usual red

https://en.wikipedia...Lycoris_(plant)

Muzan has been looking for this Blue Spider Lily, a plant of properties still unrevealed to us readers. Our current speculation is that it's something used to strengthen demons, possibly to overcome their weakness to the sun.

But, if that speculation is on the right track, and if the flower shown in Tanjirou's flashback is in fact the Blue Spider Lily, then that would mean it could've been found in the Kamado household's mountain.

And what if something led to Nezuko consuming it before she got struck when Muzan attacked? Is that why she has been so special?

---

As to my current thoughts, I have a feeling that things aren't as easy as it looks.

Like, my stance is that Nezuko won't always have the best of both worlds. My current idea is also that more human traits will surface at daytime, and more demon traits will surface at night, including the hunger to feed on humans.

This way, Tanjirou's goal of curing Nezuko still holds value, while not diminishing her battle prowess and still gives her more chances to shine as a character by having chances to talk.

And with talking, we may finally get her testimony on what transpired on the night of tragedy.

---

First Genya's unique temporary demonification and now Nezuko's unique nature. Gotouge-sensei has to be planning something putting these reveals so close to each other.

Right before this arc entered battle phase, Tanjirou wondered if they should see Tamayo for an update. Now I really hope this is the next arc, and would be cool to see her examine Genya.

For such a prospect, I would like party members to include Nezuko, Genya, Zenitsu and Inosuke. Tanjirou may be optional, rests at Butterfly Inn.

• YyAoMmIi and PunkHazard like this

#39 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

Are we gone talke about chapter 127?

The background on the bad guy was actually a little typical. I was hoping for some heart wrenching reason that he turned out the way he did. He’s jus another badguy that’s evil jus for evils sake. No real reason

#40 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/452468

Are we gone talke about chapter 127?

The background on the bad guy was actually a little typical. I was hoping for some heart wrenching reason that he turned out the way he did. He’s jus another badguy that’s evil jus for evils sake. No real reason

To talk about the chapter, one best to link it.

Though I did read it and been busy to read it the past few days.

Note on the villian, this also means Muzan doesn't have to be end game villian.
Could be other science monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users