#61 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

Chapter 135

Volume 13 Extras

At first, I felt that Tanjirou should have to do the 3 regiments like one or two more times before he's considered passed.
Then again, Iguro passed him after just one hit on his Haori, so can't complain much I guess.

Tanjirou is so humble, I love it. His Sun mark is now active in a non-combat situation too.
And Himejima's story isn't just sad, it outright sucks. That false accusation just plain sucked.

I did find his lack of irises odd, but I can't believe he's actually blind too.
Also, I don't think I've ever seen a sword on his person. Given how the humans here have no access to hammer space, and Himejima's strength, I wonder if his Nichirin weapon are in fact gauntlets or something.

---

Right as this chapter came out, people wondered if Zenitsu's letter has to do with his master, a former Thunder Pillar. After checking some things, it's very likely.
Because something else relating to Zenitsu has surfaced in this chapter.

The child who betrayed Himejima's family, we could see his face in the dining scene.
But what's most notable about him is the Magatama that he's wearing on his neck.

Based on random speculation on Baidu, I decided to check something else

Back in Chapter 34, we got glimpses of Zenitsu's senpai, who is also wearing dark clothes, has similar hair, and distinctly wears a Magatama on his neck.

Traitorous child = Zenitsu's senpai

This is most ominous. I had a nasty feeling this guy would be bad news ever since Zenitsu's flashback, and I got the sense that he would be honourless and possibly screw the Demon Hunters over.
But we now have actual confirmation that he was a traitor in the past? So many danger signs.

Although, there's one thing I don't get: why did he join the Demon Hunters? And was acknowledged to train under the former Thunder Pillar?
Was Zenitsu's master just that soft? ...given his patience with Zenitsu, I wouldn't be surprised.

---

With that, speculation time:

1. What's going on on Zenitsu's end? Did something happen to his master?

2. When Tomioka talked about how (in his opinion) the Water Pillar's seat is "vacant", he almost sounded as though there're designated spots for each developed Breath.

If that's the case, why is there no active Thunder Pillar, one of the basic Breathes? It may be take Uzui was partially filling it, since Sound is a derivative of Thunder (confirmed by Gotouge-sensei in volume 12), but it still feels odd.

But with what we learnt this chapter, here's my worst case scenario reasoning: Zenitsu's senpai actually attained Pillar status for the Breath of Thunder, but he's not been attending meetings because (i) he doesn't like doing his duty, and (ii) he's avoiding Himejima.

3. When the chapter first came out, some feared that Himejima's tale of his past is foreshadowing the events to come. I say that that fear is not unfounded.

When tragedy struck, Zenitsu's senpai betrayed the 9 members of his family, including Himejima, to save his own skin.
During Tanjirou and Nezuko's "trial", we were introduced to 9 Pillars, 7 of whom are still active as of this week.

No hard evidence, but this is not dissuading me from the prospect that when all out war commences, that will be the moment that Zenitsu's senpai will betray the Demon Hunters.

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#62 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/490039/1

I don't remember much of pillar names to understand that intro convo.

Pretty sure he won't kill someone on his deathbed, beside his Goal is the sister atm.
Kill the head, likely ensure Demon slayer kill sister instead.

Though makes you wonder what really makes that family special

#63 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

I don't remember much of pillar names to understand that intro convo.

Chapter 136
  • Himejima Gyoumei is the Rock Pillar (monk)
  • Kochou Shinobu is the Insect Pillar (medic)
  • Shinazugawa Sanemi is the Wind Pillar, and Genya's brother (scar)
To help explain the beginning, a refresher:

- In Chapter 53, Genya made an appearance at the Butterfly Estate, where Shinobu is usually stationed, reason unknown. Tanjirou was still recovering there at the time, and it was the first he saw him again since the Final Selection.
- In Chapter 66, we saw Genya seemingly training with Himejima. At the time, we thought that he was his Successor, but as time went on, that seemed less and less likely to be the case.

So the beginning of this chapter was all about clarifying what those appearances were about ... although the fanbase did think they had something to do with his Demon-devouring powers.

---

Still leaning towards Zenitsu's letter having something to do with his master

Seriously, the Breath of Water is so gorgeous. Cool fight between Pillars too.
I love that the narration itself is begging for someone to stop Tanjirou and Tomioka from doing something stupid.

---

Back in Chapter 97, Kagaya mentioned how Muzan was "the single blemish on our entire family", but we still don't know exactly what he means.
Is Muzan some ancient relative of the Ubuyashiki clan? Or maybe the doctor who treated Muzan long ago was part of the Ubuyashiki clan? We ought to find out next week.

I didn't expect Muzan to outright appear at the Ubuyashiki Estate directly. Not good.
(Wild idea: maybe Muzan can create clones of himself, and that's what's actually making the visit? It still bodes ill that he found the location of the Demon Slayers' HQ though)

Killing Oyakata-sama wouldn't disadvantage Muzan in anyway, deathbed or not. It's a surefire way to lower the morale of the Slayers.
Or worse: Muzan can outright turn Oyakata-sama and his household into his minions, consent irrelevant. We'll also find out next week.

I dearly hope that Nezuko, and possibly Tamayo, are at the Butterfly Estate right now.
Still, if even HQ was discovered, who knows how long until their unofficial hospital gets exposed

• YyAoMmIi likes this

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#64 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:43 AM

Chapter 137

https://mangadex.org/chapter/493947

Oyakata-sama is at death's doorstep, and he still has so much class. I love it.

Amane is also actually pretty cool, showing no fear in front of her family's mortal enemy.

Still worried that Muzan might decide to turn them all into Demons, as insult to injury

Muzan is an ancient relative confirmed. Not sure how I feel about the Ubuyashiki-clan's sickness being "punishment" for Muzan's existence and crimes; after all, as much as this manga fancies a folklore sort of theme, this is easily the most folklore-esque explanation for anything ever.

So all Demons will die if Muzan dies, huh? You have to wonder if that'll apply to Nezuko, Tamayo and anyone else who aren't under his curse

---

Hitotsu Toya (ひとつとや, "Temple Bells")

This traditional song that Oyakata-sama's children sung in this chapter while playing ball is a counting song/nursery rhyme, usually sung in celebration of the New Year. Originating from the Edo period, it was standardised as a kindergarten song in the Meiji period. (For trivia's sake, the full version counts to 12)

While its inclusion might be, again, a way for Gotouge-sensei to add some Taisho era flavour to the series, there's a certain irony in hearing this song of celebration in the lead-up to a tragedy.
Perhaps it's deliberate, alluding to the idea that a new era worthy of celebration is coming?

Edited by gamria, 03 December 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#65 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

Pretty sure it doesn't apply to Nezuko, Tamayo and anyone else who aren't under his curse.

This chapter confirms that family isn't that special, but is special for the creating the organization in the first place.
No wonder they have so much respect for someone so ill

#66 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/498010

Considering we seen demons lose their head and survive, I'm sure he has a method too.
Such as can't die as long as a Moons exist?

Not sure about the human potion thing though

I am really glad head goes out with a bang to show his value

#67 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

Chapter 138

First things first: the Japanese was ambiguous as to how the explosion was triggered, so we don't know if the Ubuyashiki actually strapped gunpowder onto themselves or something.

Now then, when the estate first blew up, I was incredulous
Then upon learning that Oyakata-sama himself was the one who initiated the explosion as a kamikaze attack, I thought "that was hardcore" (this coming from someone who seldom uses the word). And it even keeps him from getting turned into a Demon too.
What a boss, literally.

I thought Tamayo would be in hiding instead, but this certainly makes for an interesting turn of events. 
I knew Himejima's weapon(s) wouldn't be swords, but I did not expect a customised Kusarigama (chain-sickle). It's cool though.

Some readers have pointed out that when Tanjirou first arrived at Himejima's training, he was training to withstand fire. This possibly implies that this plan was conceived some time in advance.
Also, notice that both Tamayo and Himejima have both got Yuushirou's (Tamayo's assistant's) invisibility talismans; this indicates that they were both totally in on the plan to ambush Muzan, as per Oyakata-sama's orders.
You would think Yuushirou would've stopped his dear Tamayo from doing something this dangerous.

---

I did not expect to hear of Tamayo's backstory at such a moment, but glad to learn more about her. I hate how it feels she'll die soon though.

From her words, I take it that in the one month or so time that Tanjirou was training, she actually accepted Kagaya's invitation to work with the Demon Hunters, and actually completed a cure with Shinobu's cooperation. Assuming that this has been confirmed via multiple successes, the implications for this will be interesting.

For starters, if it can be mass produced, does this mean that the Hunters can just go around and cure the Demons rather than kill them?

And of course, Nezuko. Is this going to be a "I will take the cure only after Muzan is dead" scenario, or something similar? Because the idea of a cured human Nezuko before end of series feels off

---

There's no way Muzan is dying this easily, let alone the series ending so early. Too many mysteries left to go.
Hopefully he'd at least be weakened with this attempt on his life though.

Considering we seen demons lose their head and survive, I'm sure he has a method too.
Such as can't die as long as a Moons exist?

I've seen suggestions on him surviving because he's just a clone, Tamayo's drug actually strengthened him, etc. Your idea is interesting too, being a similar case to the Upper Moon Six duo, though that seems a bit tricky.
There is one suggestion however that I absolutely dread and is twisted enough for Gotouge-sensei to use: Muzan survives by taking over Tamayo's body. 

It would screw over so many things that it could totally happen. Excited for next week in any case.

• YyAoMmIi likes this

#68 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:35 AM

Chapter 139

What a pity. Well, Muzan is the source of the Demons, so I suppose it's not illogical for him to have better regeneration than usual.

I did think that if Muzan lives, then he could summon Nakime to provide an escape route into the Infinity Fortress for him.
But man, that double spread of all the Pillars getting trapped into the Fortress. That was outside my expectations, and a very horrible scenario too.

Still, this will make for an exciting couple of months.

---

Despite the rumours springing of this being a "decisive battle" from the ending editor note, there is no way that this is the final arc, simply on account of the absence of Tanjirou's friends and there being too many mysteries left to resolve. There will be at least one or two arcs following the current one before we get to endgame.
  • As such, of the 5 major enemies that're bound to be in the Fortress (Muzan, the 3 confirmed Upper Moons and Nakime), at most only 2 will be eliminated.
  • Nakime will be exterminated for sure: not only will escape be impossible as long as she stays alive, but she can effectively terminate any battles inside the Fortress whenever she wants, and her demise will guarantee that Muzan will forever lose the Infinity Fortress.
  • Possible gains atop will be Akaza's extermination. Tanjirou desires revenge for Rengoku's death.
---

Divisions are as follows:
  1. Tanjirou and Tomioka
  2. Mitsuri and Obanai
  3. Shinobu
  4. Tokitou
  5. Himejima
  6. Sanemi
  7. Muzan and Tamayo
With Tamayo still stuck to Muzan, the prospects are too grim for her. If he doesn't outright kill her, she'll probably be forced to follow his commands once more.

The Demon Hunters are split into 6 groups, so they're bound to run into the Upper Moons + Nakime. And all of them, except Tanjirou and perhaps Sanemi (Wind Pillar), have notable, albeit varying, chances of death.

At first, I felt that Shinobu will by far have the highest chances of dying, since popular belief is that Douma (UM2) is responsible for her sister Kanae's death. However, after pondering on Tamayo's predicament, and how Yuushirou cannot replace her expertise, I felt that losing both our expert medics/scientists in a single arc would be ridiculously devastating for the home team.
So Shinobu might still live? But greatly incapacitated?

On the flipside, with Douma running a cult, what if he also has sensory/illusion-type powers, similar to Lower Moon 1 on the train? It just feels fitting.
If so, Himejima would also be a prime target. He's one of the strongest Pillars, but his heart of sorrow is a prime target for mind tricks.

Upper Moon 1 Kokushibou will probably encounter Tokitou and Tanjirou at some point, to shed some light on the marks, sun earrings and Dance of the Fire God.

#69 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

Viz may be going to simulpub route for Kimetsu now, but given all the distasteful things I've heard about Viz's translations, I'm going to be sticking with the Anon translations.
Incidentally, Kimetsu will be receiving the Coloured Chapters treatment, similar to Soma and Yuuna in the years before.

Chapter 140

I'm so happy that Tanjirou has finally used the Breath of Water after so long.
Congratulations to Iguro for having the chance to shine in front of Mitsuri

I expected more Demons to be held inside of the Fortress, but I didn't think they'll be incubated to Lower Moon levels of strength. The way the bar has been raised actually makes me pity the old Lower Moons.

I don't know if I'm happy to see Inosuke, Genya and Zenitsu inside the Fortress. Gotouge-sensei better have a good explanation for this, because the only one making sense for me so far is that Zenitsu rushed inside a portal and Inosuke and Genya decided to follow him in.
Well, Inosuke and Zenitsu saw no action in the Blacksmith Village arc, so I suppose this is to make up for that.

Either way, I'm still not convinced that this decisive battle is in fact the final one. If Nezuko and Kanao wind up here too, then perhaps.

Also, it's important to note that the Anon translation is correct in that Zenitsu only used "that guy" to refer to the person he's looking for. Viz was hasty in assuming he's addressing Muzan.
Personally, I'm betting that it's his senior disciple turned Demon

---

Himejima is with Tokitou, huh? This is going to raise the likelihood of these 2 geniuses facing off against UM1 Kokushibou, to disastrous results.

Comment I neglected to mention last week: there is no way all 3 of Shinobu, Tamayo and Mitsuri are going to die in this arc, lest there be protests of female character mistreatment. So at least one of them will make it out alive (most likely Mitsuri)

Great, the much dreaded encounter between Shinobu and UM2 Douma has already happened. This doesn't bode well at all.

Since she has no chance of winning, how much chances does she then have of surviving? Not much, only if someone intervenes to give her an escape route.

#70 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:40 PM

Anime PV from Jump Festa (Dailymotion link in case YouTube falls through)

https://www.dailymot...m/video/x6zclq4

Inosuke and Zenitsu's scenes indicate that we'll go to at least the Drum House arc, and Zenitsu fortunately is on point for comedic scenes

Everyone and everything looks beautiful

And of course, Yuki Kajiura and Go Shiina's OST sounds on point

Hanae's performance for Tanjirou is the only part that sounds off here, but the line he spoke was from a pre-tragedy moment in Ch 1, so makes sense. I have heard news that from the Jump Festa stage play, his performance and the Nezuko grunting were on point

A shame we don't get a glimpse into the Breath attack flairs, maybe later

Looking good so far

Edited by gamria, 23 December 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#71 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:25 AM

Chapter 141

https://mangadex.org/chapter/518194

The eye-stabbing effect was cool, as is Douma's ice attacks

Man, Shinobu's fighting setup is so unique, I like that the sheath is used to switch out the poison loaded into the sword. A shame we don't get to see it much, but I suppose that's one way to keep it fresh.

#72 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

I didnt know the people who made fate unlimited blade works is making the anime for this manga. Now im super excited for it!

#73 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

It seems the typesetter has been busy with life lately, hence late scans, let alone colour scans

Chapter 142

https://mangadex.org/chapter/526922

Volume 14 extras

https://mangadex.org/chapter/527020/1

#74 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Chapter 143

https://mangadex.org/chapter/531414

#75 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

Chapter 144

https://mangaplus.sh.../viewer/1001170

Wow wen did lighting guy become so badass? And he isnt even unconcious to fight. Im impressed

Edited by PunkHazard, 04 February 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#76 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:46 AM

I'm waiting for the anon scans, since Viz's translation is bad, but from what I've been gleaning since Friday, this is another good chapter

I'm not surprised that Shinobu didn't win, but that's a sad way to go

The Ubuyashiki children are just as hardcore as their parents and older siblings. Man, pretty much all the older siblings in this series are awesome.

I never imagined that Yuushirou's talismans could be used like this, but this is an amazing way to map the Infinity Fortress and relay intelligence

Where is Yuushirou himself? For how much his Blood Demon Technique is being featured, he sure hasn't been seen in ages

As speculated, Zenitsu's letter had to do with his master. But I never imagined that he committed seppuku out of disgrace.

Wow wen dis lighting guy become so badass? And he isnt even unconcious to fight. Im impressed

Zenitsu may be a scaredy cat, but one thing that's been consistent throughout the series is that he doesn't ever abandon those in need, let alone his comrades

And now we know what happens when someone close to him was left to rot. Enough rage to eclipse his fears, he's so cool

Interesting, turning into a Demon still allows one to perform Breath techniques. This ought to serve as a preview of what the battle against UM1 Kokushibou is going to look like.

Zenitsu will probably have the upper hand as long as it's a match between Breath of Lightning users, but Kaigaku still has his personal Blood Demon Techniques at his disposal

This loser does not live up to the ferocity of Gyuutarou and Daki, but I really do wonder if Zenitsu can solo him.

Excited to finally see more Lightning skills at any rate.

#77 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:20 AM

Chapter 144 Colour:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/533833

#78 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:10 PM

https://www.viz.com/...715?action=read

So feedback on demons with breath skills.

Note on UM
Old:
UM1: alive
UM2: Alive
UM3: Alive
UM4: Dead (killed last arc)
UM5: Dead (killed last arc)
UM6: siblings, dead

New UM
UM4: Biwa Women, alive
UM5: ???
UM6: Dead? Head currently cut off. Note all UM so far had a special trick (except for UM5). But he is a newbie so...

Best way to beat some that knows your trick is to create a new trick.

#79 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:09 AM

Eng Ch 145 Coloured

https://mangadex.org/chapter/536825/1

As much as this quick kill sort of fits the Iai fighting style of Zenitsu, I would've like if one more chapter was spent before the conclusion.

Well, there's just no way this guy could immediately replace Gyuutarou and Daki, who've been Demons for over 113 years.

Man, Zenitsu is cool. Somebody better rescue him. Maybe Himejima will pass them by?

And there's supposedly something about Breath users that makes them harder to turn into Demons, huh? Interesting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users