• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:20 AM

this a little surpriseing to me. Why not jus make another season? Theres plenty of source material. Makes me feel like that after this movie they won’t animate any more of it

Speaking on the assumption that visitors to this thread have read to the latest chapter, while I was a bit puzzled at first, adapting the Infinity Express arc as a movie is actually a very, very sound decision

See, I've been wondering for the longest time how they will adapt the next 3 arcs: Infinity Express, Yoshiwara and Blacksmith Village. Judging from how Ufotable have handled the stories thus far, there is no chance that they will adapt all 3 arcs, spanning 84 chapters, into 26 episodes.

So the next consideration is, if they split them into 2 seasons, 1 of which is solely dedicated to just one of the arcs, how would you do the split?

1. Infinity Express + Yoshiwara / Blacksmith Village - the negatives though is that storytelling wise, Sumiyoshi's memories will be very awkward to adapt (Ch 99), Tanjirou's broken sword predicament will be awkward to adapt, and you'll leave viewers talking about how much of an "ass-pull" Tanjirou's Mark is between the seasons
  2. Infinity Express / Yoshiwara + Blacksmith Village - solves almost everything from (1), but Infinity Express is too short for 13 episodes, and risks leaving viewers with a sour no-triumph aftertaste between seasons that'll dampen their enthusiasm

However, if Infinity Express isn't its own 13 episode cour, but is instead a 120 - 160 minute film, storytelling wise it fixes everything. That can be its own movie, then have Yoshiwara and Blacksmith Village as a 26 episode Season 2, pacing will be perfect on all fronts.

Other positives to this arrangement include the following:

• Having an Anime film that's not simply a compilation will heavily help to capitalise on the Anime's popularity and earn them lots more revenue in theater
  • Gives the perfect excuse for time for the studio to "recharge" before going for another high quality batch of 26 episodes, especially after having to do the Fate Stay/Night: Heaven's Feel movies concurrently
  • The shortness and pacing of Infinity Express is ideal for being told in a movie, and is self-enclosed enough as is so that it won't tax on the audience memory so much
  • The arc has everything: laughter, sorrow, warmth, flashiness, triumph and loss
  • While the arc will have action, because it's not constant from start to end, it becomes economical
  • If the whole arc is told in one sitting, Ufotable will have the freedom to streamline the myriad of idiosyncratic explanations on how Enmu's Blood Demon Art operates, and the jumps between dreams and reality will be easier to follow
  • EDIT: by the manga's standards, this arc is actually less bloody/gorey compared to the rest of the series, and is something to consider for a more general audience
  • Between Tanjirou's dream and Rengoku's explanation about the Breaths, there's less to "recap" and eases the "barrier of entry" for the general audience

In short, this is an unexpected but hugely advantageous decision that Ufotable had made.

Of course, it ultimately depends on the prowess of the studio of whether they can capitalise it fully, but I have faith that they can do so

Edited by gamria, 29 September 2019 - 02:34 AM.

• /2aw and PunkHazard like this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#102 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:43 AM

this a little surpriseing to me. Why not jus make another season? Theres plenty of source material. Makes me feel like that after this movie they won’t animate any more of it

I felt the same way initially, but after thinking about it a bit, I think this is smart

For starters, the demon train arc is what one can argue is one of the most pivotal arcs of the series solely because of Rengoku, so it makes sense to give a popular character such as him the spotlight in a full fledged film

Secondly, it seems like the series is in its final arc now so in terms of waiting for the manga, by the time this movie airs, the manga should more or less be super close to its final chapter, so that way, when S2 does come, they'll be able to adapt the entire thing in its entirety

And lastly (To follow up with point #2) doing this next arc as a movie (And hopefully the Red Light District arc) will not only allow them to make back their budget from season one and then some, but it'll allow them to be able to do a S2 whereas they'll be able to adapt the rest of the manga one shot
  • PunkHazard likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#103 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/720329/1

Chapter 176

#104 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

I pray to god by some form of bullshit that my boy survives this  :cry:

Edited by Tokoya, 29 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#105 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

Coloured chapter 176

https://mangadex.org/chapter/722406/1

Sheesh, Muiichirou is already dead, why does Gotouge-sensei have to be so rough on him!?

But good on him for dealing a blow so fatal that not even Upper Moon 1 can recover from

I'm not convinced that Genya is dead, even based on what Kokushibou and Himejima can see. Or at least, no way to recover

I liked that Himejima and Sanemi weren't shocked and didn't hesitate and immediately got to hammering away at the still-regenerating Kokushibou

I also liked that he didn't throw in the towel, and that it was a moment's loss of focus that costed him

The next weeks are going to be interesting, not least because we don't know whether anyone will live past this battle.

Also, I really need to find time to write about how I feel about the anime adaptation, now that Season 1 is over

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#106 paka

paka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

Those side stories go deep... the feels - Kokushibo could use a hug in the afterlife :hug3:

:kakashi:  We back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users