• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:20 AM

this a little surpriseing to me. Why not jus make another season? Theres plenty of source material. Makes me feel like that after this movie they won’t animate any more of it

Speaking on the assumption that visitors to this thread have read to the latest chapter, while I was a bit puzzled at first, adapting the Infinity Express arc as a movie is actually a very, very sound decision

See, I've been wondering for the longest time how they will adapt the next 3 arcs: Infinity Express, Yoshiwara and Blacksmith Village. Judging from how Ufotable have handled the stories thus far, there is no chance that they will adapt all 3 arcs, spanning 84 chapters, into 26 episodes.

So the next consideration is, if they split them into 2 seasons, 1 of which is solely dedicated to just one of the arcs, how would you do the split?

1. Infinity Express + Yoshiwara / Blacksmith Village - the negatives though is that storytelling wise, Sumiyoshi's memories will be very awkward to adapt (Ch 99), Tanjirou's broken sword predicament will be awkward to adapt, and you'll leave viewers talking about how much of an "ass-pull" Tanjirou's Mark is between the seasons
  2. Infinity Express / Yoshiwara + Blacksmith Village - solves almost everything from (1), but Infinity Express is too short for 13 episodes, and risks leaving viewers with a sour no-triumph aftertaste between seasons that'll dampen their enthusiasm

However, if Infinity Express isn't its own 13 episode cour, but is instead a 120 - 160 minute film, storytelling wise it fixes everything. That can be its own movie, then have Yoshiwara and Blacksmith Village as a 26 episode Season 2, pacing will be perfect on all fronts.

Other positives to this arrangement include the following:

• Having an Anime film that's not simply a compilation will heavily help to capitalise on the Anime's popularity and earn them lots more revenue in theater
  • Gives the perfect excuse for time for the studio to "recharge" before going for another high quality batch of 26 episodes, especially after having to do the Fate Stay/Night: Heaven's Feel movies concurrently
  • The shortness and pacing of Infinity Express is ideal for being told in a movie, and is self-enclosed enough as is so that it won't tax on the audience memory so much
  • The arc has everything: laughter, sorrow, warmth, flashiness, triumph and loss
  • While the arc will have action, because it's not constant from start to end, it becomes economical
  • If the whole arc is told in one sitting, Ufotable will have the freedom to streamline the myriad of idiosyncratic explanations on how Enmu's Blood Demon Art operates, and the jumps between dreams and reality will be easier to follow
  • EDIT: by the manga's standards, this arc is actually less bloody/gorey compared to the rest of the series, and is something to consider for a more general audience
  • Between Tanjirou's dream and Rengoku's explanation about the Breaths, there's less to "recap" and eases the "barrier of entry" for the general audience

In short, this is an unexpected but hugely advantageous decision that Ufotable had made.

Of course, it ultimately depends on the prowess of the studio of whether they can capitalise it fully, but I have faith that they can do so

Edited by gamria, 29 September 2019 - 02:34 AM.

• /2aw and PunkHazard like this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#102 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,327 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:43 AM

this a little surpriseing to me. Why not jus make another season? Theres plenty of source material. Makes me feel like that after this movie they won’t animate any more of it

I felt the same way initially, but after thinking about it a bit, I think this is smart

For starters, the demon train arc is what one can argue is one of the most pivotal arcs of the series solely because of Rengoku, so it makes sense to give a popular character such as him the spotlight in a full fledged film

Secondly, it seems like the series is in its final arc now so in terms of waiting for the manga, by the time this movie airs, the manga should more or less be super close to its final chapter, so that way, when S2 does come, they'll be able to adapt the entire thing in its entirety

And lastly (To follow up with point #2) doing this next arc as a movie (And hopefully the Red Light District arc) will not only allow them to make back their budget from season one and then some, but it'll allow them to be able to do a S2 whereas they'll be able to adapt the rest of the manga one shot
  • PunkHazard likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#103 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

https://mangadex.org/chapter/720329/1

Chapter 176

#104 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,327 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

I pray to god by some form of bullshit that my boy survives this  :cry:

Edited by Tokoya, 29 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#105 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

Coloured chapter 176

https://mangadex.org/chapter/722406/1

Sheesh, Muiichirou is already dead, why does Gotouge-sensei have to be so rough on him!?

But good on him for dealing a blow so fatal that not even Upper Moon 1 can recover from

I'm not convinced that Genya is dead, even based on what Kokushibou and Himejima can see. Or at least, no way to recover

I liked that Himejima and Sanemi weren't shocked and didn't hesitate and immediately got to hammering away at the still-regenerating Kokushibou

I also liked that he didn't throw in the towel, and that it was a moment's loss of focus that costed him

The next weeks are going to be interesting, not least because we don't know whether anyone will live past this battle.

Also, I really need to find time to write about how I feel about the anime adaptation, now that Season 1 is over

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#106 paka

paka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

Those side stories go deep... the feels - Kokushibo could use a hug in the afterlife :hug3:

:kakashi:  We back

#107 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:45 AM

Coloured chapters up to 178

Regarding 177, I had actually written a comprehensive Reddit post about the historical and cultural background behind Kokushibou/Michikatsu's past

Due to my understanding, I don't wish to write him off as a mere jealous brother with an inferiority complex. And honestly, Yoriichi's absurd aptitude since birth ticks me off a bit too.
Plus, Michikatsu had actually worked hard and paid the effort to do the best he can. In a normal household, that would've been more than enough.

What's even sadder is that he actually did have the chance to walk away from his envy and live on as a remarkable person. But, I suppose after losing so many men and being driven into a corner by a monstrous demon that won't die no matter how many times or how hard you slash into it, only to then be slain so easily by your brother who should've been long deceased, it's all too easy for it all to come back. Like once again, it seemed as though all his hard work amounted to nothing.

Throughout the story, we've been told time and time again that Demons are hollow, sad creatures; and with Kokushibou's monologue this chapter, that's never been truer.
He had hoped that with extended time, he can become someone as powerful as his brother. Instead, he winded up abandoning everything he ever had, and even failed to leave anything behind. All his efforts and sins came to nothing.

At least, that's what he believes. I for one believe that his life did have meaning: it was because of his kindness to Yoriichi in the past that he was encouraged to be someone who can help people, and in turn developed all the Breath techniques and assist with the creation of the Nichirin Blades

If only they could understand one another...

---

So, this chapter answers why Kokushibou perished without ever meeting Tanjirou: the author intentionally did not offer him that closure just to add to his tragedy, despite his clear knowledge of Tanjirou's existence (no doubt from memories shared with him by Muzan)

But does this indicate that the Kamado family was targeted because they had shown signs that they have knowledge of the Breath of the Sun? Officially, while the fanbook has hinted at some relationship between it and the Dance of the Fire God, still nothing concrete that cements they are the same thing.

Next week, we should finally have the final status for Genya, Sanemi and Himejima. Poor Muiichirou is already dead, will any of them join him?

• /2aw likes this

#108 paka

paka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:54 AM

Their story (Michikatsu and Yoriichi) kinda reminds me of Dororo... He shouldn't be blaming his brother for his shortcomings. He had a way better birth, childhood, teenage life compared to Yoriichi. He had plenty of options to pick from outside of chasing his brother's shadow

:kakashi:  We back

#109 /2aw

/2aw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

@gamria hey I saw that reddit post and I knew that name looked familiar. Always appreciate your insights.

My Manga

The sad reality of my favorite Manga

Current Theme Song

Badass of the moment:

Daytime Escanor

49914546_91x132.jpeg

Praise. The. Sun. See, if Chuck Norris had a love child with Bruce Lee and that child was trained by the Spartans it just MIGHT have the absurd levels of badass testosterone found in Escanor's left testicle. Escanor is the epitome of pride and badassery and he has no issues with letting it be known. His mere presence has been enough to end some powerful baddies, and he will make sure any fool willing to challenge him knows how pathetic their feeble attempts are. OP is an understatement and he wears it so gracefully.

#110 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:02 AM

@gamria hey I saw that reddit post and I knew that name looked familiar. Always appreciate your insights.

Haha, thank you very much

Coloured version of Chapter 179 now out:

With Kokushibou's bitterness on full display the past two weeks, I figured that the aftermath over on the Slayers' side would contrast it, brotherly love included and all.

Yeah, Muiichirou wasn't going to make it.

Genya though ... while I factored in the possibility that he'll perish as well, I also thought that he had the highest chances of survival on account of being in Tanjirou's generation.
But then to stack him distintegrating like a demon while his brother could only watch? Crocodile-sensei is ruthless

Between Himejima's limited life span and Sanemi's blood loss, I wouldn't have been surprised for all 4 to die after that battle.
Instead, we have Sanemi lingering around a bit longer, just to see his last surviving family die. He was so mean to him just to push him away from demon hunting in hopes that he can live longer, but it all came to nothing anyway. Harsh.

Goodbye, you two younger brothers. Us readers will not forget you guys.

---

While I can see us moving onto the confronting against Muzan, it's still impossible to take him out without exposing him to sunlight. At most, Tanjirou can attempt to rescue Tamayo, but everyone is already injured.

So the prerequisite is that they must take out Nakime so that the Dimensional Fortress disappears, meaning that we could move back to her battle against Mitsuri and Obanai instead. Mitsuri will survive for sure, since I can't see Gotouge-sensei leaving Kanao as the only signficant female ally alive.

But if the Fortress disappears, will Muzan just take the chance instead to escape from everyone?
And will Himejima and Sanemi even live past the night?

On that note, I liked how Himejima's last line is low-key vengeful

Edited by gamria, 21 October 2019 - 07:23 AM.

#111 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

RIP

The mangaka didn't hold no punches. Really brutal that the two young fighters that ended up dying while the "vets" survived. Himejima seems to be mostly undamaged but Sanemi shouldn't be in a condition to have another tough fight.

#112 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

I thought this was demon slayer not feels slayer
  • Shin and /2aw like this

#113 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,140 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:47 AM

Man, what a brutal chapter. You really don't see series kill off the two kids in a big fight like this over the adults like others have said. It adds so much weight to these fights when it really feels like nearly anyone could die now. Muichiro's reunion with his brother and how his brother didn't want him to die and Muichiro explaining how he was proud of the life he lived was really emotional, but then seeing Sanemi completely lose it at watching Genya crumbling away in front of him after waking up was soul crushing. Sanemi was completely helpless when his entire goal in life was to protect his brother and he couldn't do that anymore. Then Genya responding saying he was sorry and how he also just wanted to protect his brother and let him live a proper life was so tragic. Really well written, but still a tough read. I thought Genya would survive somehow.

Now that the UM1 fight is finally concluded I really enjoyed how it all played out. Kokushibo really proved to be worthy of that Upper Moon 1 rank and how the battle continued to escalate was great. With Muichiro first appearing, then Genya, then Sanemi, and finally Himejima. Everyone had their moments to shine with Sanemi and Himejima really proving how capable they were as maybe the top Pillars, especially Himejima, and all of their teamwork and Himejima directing it all was perfect. Just such a well done fight.

I loved how Kokushibo's character turned out too. It was nice to see a demon this time not have a tragic past that lead them to become a demon, and in Kokushibo case it was selfishness and jealously. That final panel of him being dragged to hell was perfect for him given how he threw away everything and in the end gained nothing. His backstory with his brother and how he resented him for being so gifted and kind was done really well too. I even liked how after striking down his brother's body and discovering that he still carried the flute he made he kept it himself showing some signs of regret.

I also really liked how their two conflicting ideals underlined the UM1 fight. With Kokushibo wanting to live forever to become the strongest samurai, so he became a demon, and his brother's ideal of wanting to pass down their skills to the future. It added another layer to it with ultimately his brother's ideal winning out.

Also I think because there are a fair number of Hunters left that Muzan might split his body into the different forms we have seen, like his main form, the woman form, and the child form, and allow for more opponents for the Hunters to fight. Since I think it will be a bit much for all of them to fight Muzan's single form.

• /2aw likes this

#114 Luffy_PK

Luffy_PK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

This manga has quickly become one of my favourites. It's not dragging the storyline out, the fights have a real sense of danger about them and it's just generally very well written. Let's just hope it doesn't fall off like Bleach, Naruto etc.

#115 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:28 AM

I like to mention how well Himejima, whose supposed to be the strongest Pillar and demon hunter of the present age, was showcased in this battle.

Like, a lot of times the "strongest" combatant of any fighting organisation in any Japanese fiction is a death flag, who when pitted against one of the strongest opponents in the antagonist organisation, mostly serves as just a demonstration of sorts. The Worf Effect, I believe this is called.

But here, Himejima took the least damage, coordinated fellow combatants, figured out countermeasures on the fly and remained alert to the very end of the battle. I like that he actually got to do "strongest" things.
Granted, the prospect of him not making it through to the end is still there, but what he's done is still more than awesome.

#116 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:35 AM

Coloured chapter 180

https://mangadex.org/chapter/736313/1

The situation is bad, we need Nakime taken out right now!

#117 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,140 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Another brutal chapter. Starting with Tanjiro learning about Muichiro and Genya dying and then going to the absolute destruction of the lesser Demon Slayers by Muzan was rough. They all got ripped to shreds, even that poor bird. Then finally he kills Tamayo after all of her hard work failed. I really hope that maybe Yushiro can do something impressive if he can go into his attack mode now. Maybe help defeat Muzan or hold him back like how a Genya or a Muichiro did with UM1. Would help make all of Tamayo's efforts not feel wasted.

Also Muzan's new appearance is interesting. I guess this is him in his demon form and I wonder what all the teeth on his body might do. Was really sad to see how he mocked Tamayo before finally killing her, and also how panicked the kid Ubuyashiki was when he couldn't help the younger Demon Slayers. I wonder who will confront Muzan first now since it looks like just the Pillars and Tanjiro's group are left. Snake and Love are still fighting UM4 too I guess.

#118 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:01 AM

At the moment, the minimum victory condition is to shine sunlight on Muzan, but that's impossible so long as everyone is stuck in the Dimensional Fortress.

Which is why it's absolutely vital that UM4 Nakime is taken out, so Mitsuri and Obanai need to succeed.

But even then, with pretty much every competent fighter fatigued/exhausted/injured, I cannot see them killing Muzan. At this point, I see "tactical retreat" as a victory condition in itself

While I can see Yuushirou going berserk, that's a bad idea: not only is his offensive capacity really low, but if he's dead, all his shared-sight talismans currently tagged to the crows will lose their function. Meaning, remote communication between Kariya and the crows will be severed entirely.

I'm sure that Tamayo's efforts would still amount to something though: even if her medicine didn't work on Muzan, I can see it having a positive effect on Nezuko (even if it fails to change her back to human entirely)

Looking back at Ch 151, Tanjirou had already noted that the Dance of the Fire God has 12 forms. Perhaps it's less that he didn't inherit all 13, but that the 13th was already lost at some point in the past?

#119 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:33 PM

Coloured chapter 181

https://mangadex.org/chapter/739478

I like how I don't feel like Tanjirou is immune from death. Given that "inherited/ongoing will" is a theme of the series, I would not be surprised if Tanjirou gets killed by Muzan, but a cured Nezuko will carry on his will and end him.

Granted, either him, Giyu or both will die from this confrontation, which is 100% unwinnable until Nakime is slain

#120 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,140 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

The confrontation between Muzan and Tanjiro was a bit unexpected. I sort of expected him to be very cocky or arrogant in a very boastful way, but while he was still those things he came across as being above them all and kind of pitying them. With how he compared himself to a natural disaster and they should just be thankful that they survived over their family. How getting angry at him or wanting revenge would be like wanting revenge on a volcano. That is just a very interesting view on himself. I did love Tanjiro's reaction to that in how he might have been the most angry we've ever seen him.

Also was nice to see Snake and Love again. I wonder if we will see their whole fight or if they will constantly be in the background. I do wonder who saved Love from falling as it didn't look like Snake's arm. Maybe it is Murata as he is probably still running around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users