#1 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

Akira_mondo_screening_poster1.jpg
Akira is a 1988 Japanese animated science fiction action film directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. It was written by Otomo and Izo Hashimoto and based on Otomo's manga of the same name, focusing mainly on the first half of the story. The film depicts a dystopian version of Tokyo in the year 2019, with cyberpunk tones. The plot focuses on teenage biker Tetsuo Shima and his psychic powers, and the leader of his biker gang, Shotaro Kaneda. Several parties, including Kaneda, resistance terrorist Kei, Colonel Shikishima of the JSDF and a trio of espers, attempt to prevent Tetsuo from releasing the imprisoned psychic Akira. While most of the character designs and settings were adapted from the original manga, the restructured plot of the movie differs considerably from the print version, pruning much of the last half of the manga.The film has garnered a large following as a cult film since its theatrical release, and is widely considered to be a landmark in Japanese animation. It is considered by many critics to be one of the greatest animated and science fiction movies of all time
------------------------------------------------------
one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and I cant believe it didn't have a thread. the manga did but this didn't. also I going to make a video explaining the deeper philosophical message behind the film since I've seen lots of stuff talking about production quality, politics, synopsis, etc.. but nothing great that gets at the deeper message behind the film. so ima do it. and If there is something like that id like to see it so that I don't unintentionally make a crap video explaining something when people already get the gist of it.

Edited by retroluffy13, 21 March 2016 - 07:11 PM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#2 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

While I thought the movie was good, the manga was way better imo and I think they should've waited until the manga was done to make a series of movies instead.

• retroluffy13 and /2aw like this

5.jpg

#3 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

Think the film's a classic. Always meant to read the manga, but i've never taken the time to buy the volumes and sit down for the amount of time it'd take.

While I thought the movie was good, the manga was way better imo and I think they should've waited until the manga was done to make a series of movies instead.

I'm happy with the film as it was, but if anything they could just do that now and create new films. Not like we haven't seen it before.

• retroluffy13 likes this

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#4 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Think the film's a classic. Always meant to read the manga, but i've never taken the time to buy the volumes and sit down for the amount of time it'd take.

I'm happy with the film as it was, but if anything they could just do that now and create new films. Not like we haven't seen it before.

I'd like to see a remake of Akira with the entire manga animated thru a series of OVAs tbh. I was happy with the movie at first as it was too before I read the manga. And let me tell you, the movie doesn't compare to the craziness that happens in the half. :xD:

5.jpg

#5 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'd like to see a remake of Akira with the entire manga animated thru a series of OVAs tbh. I was happy with the movie at first as it was too before I read the manga. And let me tell you, the movie doesn't compare to the craziness that happens in the half. :xD:

still I watched this movie for the first time a few days ago and just. to me a ig thing of what makes the film so brilliant is the wa the story is "told" in the vuegest sense of the word. I honesty didn't start to understand what the fuck it was I was watching till we got to the secod half with tetsuo's rampage. the way they chose to make it was so bizarre, yet had me begging for more the longer I watched it.

idk what happens in the manga, but I almost feel like over explaining the plot would ruin what I just watched. how would you argue against such claims?

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#6 /2aw

/2aw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

still I watched this movie for the first time a few days ago and just. to me a ig thing of what makes the film so brilliant is the wa the story is "told" in the vuegest sense of the word. I honesty didn't start to understand what the fuck it was I was watching till we got to the secod half with tetsuo's rampage. the way they chose to make it was so bizarre, yet had me begging for more the longer I watched it.

idk what happens in the manga, but I almost feel like over explaining the plot would ruin what I just watched. how would you argue against such claims?

Did you watch it subbed? There are two dubs and one of them is terrible and that's the only one I can ever find.

I know I read the manga at some point but I cannot for the life of me remember it, but I did enjoy the movie. I've watched it like 4 times and I know the last time I did I still had a couple of epiphanies. Solid movie though. 

• retroluffy13 likes this

My Manga

The sad reality of my favorite Manga

Current Theme Song

Badass of the moment:

Daytime Escanor

49914546_91x132.jpeg

Praise. The. Sun. See, if Chuck Norris had a love child with Bruce Lee and that child was trained by the Spartans it just MIGHT have the absurd levels of badass testosterone found in Escanor's left testicle. Escanor is the epitome of pride and badassery and he has no issues with letting it be known. His mere presence has been enough to end some powerful baddies, and he will make sure any fool willing to challenge him knows how pathetic their feeble attempts are. OP is an understatement and he wears it so gracefully.

#7 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

Did you watch it subbed? There are two dubs and one of them is terrible and that's the only one I can ever find.

I know I read the manga at some point but I cannot for the life of me remember it, but I did enjoy the movie. I've watched it like 4 times and I know the last time I did I still had a couple of epiphanies. Solid movie though.

I probably watched the crap dub which was ok because tetsuo was tai from digimon.

the first viewing imo is the best. it blows your friggen mind with just how beautiful it all is and how fast these ideas are coming at you. however on the second viewing after you've spent some time with all the charecters and you've distinguished who your supposed to pay attention to and who your not, it becomes much easier to understand.

me and this author got a serious connection going on though because on my second viewing I pretty much got what he was trying to say. physics in akira actually work similar to how I imagine they work irl.

Edited by retroluffy13, 23 March 2016 - 12:03 AM.

• /2aw likes this

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#8 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:38 AM

double post cuz review.

two little technical difficulties. a scene that got placed wrong ad a scene that didn't get completely edited to the end. but they're minor and will be fixed soon. otherwise generally the best thing I've ever made.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#9 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Get Out director wanted for Akira live action movie

#10 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Peele needs to steer clear from that.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#11 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Get Out director wanted for Akira live action movie

Going by Kong and now GitS. 

I think it'd be more wiser to have directors that have more films and experience under their belt, rather than just tag them with a big budget blockbuster after making 1 or 2 films. Especially since these sorts of things will be difficult and possibly damage their director careers before it even gets anywhere's. 

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#12 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Going by Kong and now GitS. 

I think it'd be more wiser to have directors that have more films and experience under their belt, rather than just tag them with a big budget blockbuster after making 1 or 2 films. Especially since these sorts of things will be difficult and possibly damage their director careers before it even gets anywhere's. 

Well given that Peele made 30 million dollars during his opening weekend with his first movie with 99% on rotten tomatoes which is unheard of for a horror movie, I don't think "experience" would be a problem. My concern would be once again, the possibility getting white people to play Asian characters instead of using that opportunity to showcase Asian-American talent and whether or not he decides to stay consistent anime or manga.

5.jpg

#13 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Well given that Peele made 30 million dollars during his opening weekend with his first movie with 99% on rotten tomatoes which is unheard of for a horror movie, I don't think "experience" would be a problem.

Yes he had a good first film. An it says that he has talent. But that doesn't mean he'll make success with other films just cause of his one good film. 

Also note that his film "Get Out", is a film that he not only directed but also produced as well written. An it wasn't something that was surrounded by mass fan hype, based on pre-existing properties, and had big studios breathing down his neck about every second of production. 

So sure he had a good film. However I'd still like it if he did some more films to not only refine his element more, but also go an show that he ain't no one hit wonder, and that he'll have more to him to make people comfortable that he's capable of doing something of this films nature good enough.  

All I'm saying is that it'd be better if he matured more in his element of film making, rather than just be plucked out as soon as he sprouts out and be put to work on huge projects that he may not be up to task for as well might end up crushing him an his career. 

Edited by Narubi, 02 April 2017 - 05:54 PM.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users