#461 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

I actually think Souda is one of the better characters in all of the games for me. Even though he has a sad backstory like most of the others, he's one of the few people in all the killing games that isn't either violent, insane, or completely callous. While he may get stressed out or scared often (which people seem to hate him for) it's mostly because he's in situations where that response is actually warranted, if anything some of the others are too calm given the circumstances. His other flaws such as his low self esteem and trust issues are a result of what happened in his past and the latter makes sense again because they're in a mutual killing game where anyone could be plotting a murder at anytime. Even though his suspicions of Hajime being the traitor were wrong they weren't entirely unjustified and he apologized for suspecting him at the end of it.

He's absolutely amazing at his talent and not only is it critical during the fourth trial but he also creates the video communication devices in chapter three, as well as the mini Mechamaru in chapter five to cheer up Akane and the others, and spends a lot of his free time trying to find or build a vehicle that can get them off the island safely (which of course never would've worked since they were in the Neo World Program). He's also part of a small handful of proactive characters, the only real obvious downside for me is his obsessive attraction to Sonia which seems like a complex more than anything.

I agree with everything stated above about the Komaeda OVA...I would've loved for it to be at least a hour tbh.

Also No Ryoko :cry:

• Insane Soul, Spamamdorf and Goddess Nike like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#462 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

I think I have said this before, so forgive me if I am being repetitive, but about Kazuichi...

You know, the archetypes on SDR2 were similar to DR, specially the survivors:

-Tomboy girl who acts more emotionally than rationally: Akane and Asahina.

-Protagonist: Hinata and Naegi

-A person that gave a very selfish and ruthless impression but in the end changed for the better, caring for the rest: Fuyuhiko and Togami

-A Strong willed girl that would lead the group most of times: Kirigiri and Sonia

-The Hagakure: Hagakure and Kazuichi.

Not going to lie, Souda started as Hagakure 2.0, what would be that definition? Well, Cowardly, wouldn't impact much on the plot, the 'this one is going to die so easily he is surviving' and comedy relief. But there is something that separated Souda from Hagakure, he actually mattered

At the end of Chapter 1 he and Nidai teamed up to restrict Komaeda, you could say "but that isn't much", but opposed to Hahgakure who would just be a coward in the background and just the "AHHH I DON'T WANT TO DO IT", Souda actually acted.

Chapter 2 was mostly for gags and just to stare the harem in the beach, but I mean, did we hate that~?, however, he still teamed up with Hinata and we saw more of him as the adventure went on, another thing that I liked on Souda's character is that his development didn't feel forced, it started slow but the readers would know about him without pouring everything into the freetime events.

Now with Chapter 3, despite this trial and murder being a cluster fuck, a sin soiling my otherwise perfect game, still had good moments, and I am not talking about the freetime events only, if you guys remember in the exploration part of the island, there was a part where Hinata met Souda in the place where all the devices were stored, just then Souda had a conversation with Hinata and Nanami and offered to build a console for Nanami if he had the time and resources. This right here is another thing that I truly like from souda, he actually cared for the crew in his own way, Hagakure just felt static to me until the very end, and no, I don't care if he became nakama in DR3, that was too late to redeem hagakure's character.

Chapter 4, Souda became all paranoid after Tsumiki's loldespair fest, Souda above all things is a flawed character, his weaknesses were highlighted in various parts of the game, but Chapter 4 brought it up the most, yet he still acted and didn't get stuck in his own shortcomings, which made his resolution speech good. It actually felt like someone who started in the bottom changed after all the murders and suffering in the whole story. Hagakure's speech in Junko's final showdown annoyed me, it was more like "OHHHH, I DON'T KNOW, BUT SCREW THIS LETS GO NAEGI".

DR3 Hope side was heartwarming, but Kodaka stepping it up and giving us this AU where Sonia likes Souda was very well done. Hagakure has been a meme since DR1, even Kodaka agrees with it and either mocks it on DR3, or just kills Hagakure in every AU.

• Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#463 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I wonder if that was done on purpose....

I recall reading that it was entirely done on purpose. The most blatant example being of course Komaeda Nagito "Makoto Naegi da" or "I am Makoto Naegi". 

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#464 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

I recall reading that it was entirely done on purpose. The most blatant example being of course Komaeda Nagito "Makoto Naegi da" or "I am Makoto Naegi". 

Yeah that one was obvious from the start. I was talking more about the survivors of both games though.

-Tomboy girl who acts more emotionally than rationally: Akane and Asahina.

-Protagonist: Hinata and Naegi

-A person that gave a very selfish and ruthless impression but in the end changed for the better, caring for the rest: Fuyuhiko and Togami

-A Strong willed girl that would lead the group most of times: Kirigiri and Sonia

-The Hagakure: Hagakure and Kazuichi.

I've actually always considered AI Chiaki to be the Kyoko. Main female protagonist with unusual hair colors. May or may not have mutual romantic feelings for the male protagonist. Often has to help the male protagonist solve the case (in fact they both usually seem to be the first ones to figure it out). Arguably the smartest characters in their casts (it actually might not be so arguable). Annnnd...both characters have execution scenes but don't actually die.

It might be a bit of a stretch, but I always thought Sonia was the "Toko" of the group. Both kinda took their expected character archetypes and were able to both play them straight and flip them completely on their heads. The one that you thought would just be the quiet and awkward book nerd is...well she's still that, but she's also mean, snarky, not so closet pervert with a serial killer split personality. And the one you'd expect to be a prim, proper, air headed ( and maybe even spoiled) Princess is still most of those things but she's also assertive, compassionate, protective, and a surprisingly competent leader, with an uncharacteristic fascination with serial killers and the occult. Between that and her chemistry with Gundham (fuck you Kazuichi. Gundham is destined to be the King of Novoselic :2howgeg:) I just friggin love Sonia.

Edited by Blue22, 08 February 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#465 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

I said survivors though...

;-;

#466 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

AI Chiaki was...kinda a survivor....kinda

Edited by Blue22, 08 February 2017 - 11:43 PM.

#467 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

I took at look at the 2.5 OVA as well

Before I move on to the star of this OVA, let me say this first. I know this dream world allows for characters to be out-of-character, but some of the instances are just terrifying.

I mean, look at the Maizono/Naegi scene at the start of the OVA. I don't know if it's the cliche-ness of it all or with the suddenly-cool Naegi, but that freaks me out.

In fact, seeing everyone and everything coexisting peacefully is scary.

(Also, if you pause at the cafe scene, you can see Mukuro stalking Naegi)

---

That aside... pardon me, but I didn't have much other feelings for this. Maybe it's because we got to see so little of the real world, like actually seeing how Hinata and co. spent their nursing days on Jabberwock Island; or maybe it's because my excitement from V3 eclipsed this.

Or perhaps knowing this entire thing is an Inception-esque dream world dampened my interest.

It does feel refreshing to see a Komaeda who doesn't go on and on about hope and despair though. And I got a real kick out of the recycling of DR2 music

---

Lastly, NIS America should be giving us a release date for the English translation of New Dangan Ronpa V3 on February 17th, during their press live stream. I am psyched.

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#468 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Gamria, I believe Mukuro stalking Naegi is less disturbing than HUMANIZED MONOMI in the right corner next to Therapist

Edited by Insane Soul, 09 February 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#469 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

Gamria, I believe Mukuro stalking Naegi is less disturbing than HUMANIZED MONOMI in the right corner next to Therapist

Wait, what!?

(Also, I found Mukuro stalking more humourous than disturbing)

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#470 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:27 PM

HOW DID YOU MISS THIS:

2eb52f3aff.jpg

#471 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

O____O

I can never unsee that...no matter how hard I try.

#472 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

I totally missed that lmao

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#473 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:43 AM

@Insane Soul

Isn't that just the Chubby Princess character that Yamada was a fan of?

#474 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Kind off topic, but given how it is similar.

I recently picked Alice in Borderland, to those who enjoyed Danganronpa for the psychological aspects of survival, I do recommend to read it, I have enjoyed it a lot.

• Goddess Nike likes this

#475 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

Is anyone following killer killer manga? It is hilarious to see Tengan as the narcissistic bastard he truly was. The future foundation never had a chance.

Edited by Insane Soul, 17 February 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#476 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

@Blue22 @Goddess Nike @Kid Frost @gamria @Spamamdorf

The NIS livestream will happen in 1.40 hours, they will tell the release date of V3 in the west.

https://www.twitch.tv/nisamerica

HYPE BOIS

Edited by Insane Soul, 17 February 2017 - 08:22 PM.

• Blue22 and Goddess Nike like this

#477 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

I was going to mention that, but I had to go out.

And yeah, I keep up with the Killer Killer manga. Not much emotions towards it though.

#478 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Pleeeeeeeeease make it out before April so I can get it sooooooooooon NIS.

#479 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Tamamo Shark?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,275 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

26th of September

I don't think I will last that long ahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaah

#480 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

Time enough to get through my backlog I guess

iyzTKCh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users