Photo

The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland)

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#461 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:27 AM

Chapter 101

Well well, given the considerably fantasy nature of the setting, this is the first time it really felt like we're in a fantasy

Does Emma's vision constitute actual magic?

52 days gone by just like that, and now we're immediately going to burn away another 52 days? This is too fast

I really have no idea what to make of the vision, or the mysteries

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#462 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:17 PM

Chapter 101

Well well, given the considerably fantasy nature of the setting, this is the first time it really felt like we're in a fantasy

Does Emma's vision constitute actual magic?

52 days gone by just like that, and now we're immediately going to burn away another 52 days? This is too fast

I really have no idea what to make of the vision, or the mysteries

Apparantly we are also entering the final arc o.o

https://twitter.com/...759951454826497

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#463 Groundking

Groundking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:02 AM

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/103/page/1

It feels so rushed... :/

#464 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:24 AM

Been so exhausted the last month that I didn't have time to comment. Well, here I am now.

Chapter 102 - 107

Time Skip and Pacing
Let's address the elephant in the room first, the time skip.
I have nothing against time skips in themselves, but their execution and their actual usage play big factors in how they come across to me personally.

Now, I don't know if it's because the authors didn't want to risk boring readers with the 1.5 years of trial and error, or maybe it's because my matured tastes are talking right now, but I personally would've liked the 1.5 years to have taken longer amounts of time to detail.

Really, all I would've wanted was just 2 or 3 chapters to lay out the progression. Unlike most Shonen Jump time skips whose purpose were mostly for "training/getting stronger", Neverland's purpose was "exploration". For such a purpose, I would not have minded a couple more chapters.

After all, one of the appeals for me back in the Grace Field arc was seeing how the kids conceived of their plans, the trial and errors in-between, then their execution. For a manga that's about super smart kids working their way to their ideal outcome, I really would've appreciated seeing the trial and error of finding the Seven Walls.

---

Moving on, it's cool that the Grand Valley kids managed to engineer Demon disguises, or that the kids had the guts to infiltrate Demon settlements. Truly impressive.

About the Raid on the Shelter
It's truly a pity that the Shelter finally came under attack. Well, it was inevitable with this story, and 1.5+ years has been a considerable blessing for all the kids.

I've seen complaints about how the kids seemed so weak against Andrew's team, in comparison to their performance at Goldy Pond.
Personally, I find no inconsistency in their behaviour, for the following reasons:
  1. The decisive battle at Goldy Pond was something in the works for years, and after much preparation and observation of their targets, almost like an assassination plan. This time it's different, they were ambushed instead
  2. With all their siblings so close by, the more able fighters of the group cannot risk dragging them into the cross fire against Andrew's team
  3. Lewis, Bayon and the other Demons stuck to close range combat and were fought in a wide area, which gave the kids more space to work with. The conditions this time are the opposite, long range enemies in narrow spaces.
  4. Let's not forget, Neverland is on a tightrope as it is.
That is, we have had a child harvested in the very first chapter, a child who attempted self-immolation, and a group of children who are using firearms and taking head shots, justified only because they were out to slay monsters, among other mature content. By now, it must be considered controversial in some circles.
So if we actually have the human kids kill human adults, the outrage will skyrocket. It's the same reason why in Assassination Classroom, the kids aren't trained to kill anyone besides Korosensei.

Which is why it's not surprising that combating Andrew's team is left to the adults of the group, Yuugo and Lucas.

A Fitting Grave
With the ending of Chapter 106, I had a feeling that we'd finally get a glimpse into the younger years of Yuugo and Lucas, back when the rest of their Glory Bell family were still with them.
Would've been nice to see how their own escape plan had worked, but alas

Man, when you know that their chances of death are high but you still want them to live, that's when you know that the authors have crafted their characters well.

Like, after all their years of dealing with grief and painful losses, you badly want them to make it to the human world like Emma's group too.

But narratively speaking, dying close to the memories of their old and new families does indeed sound like a fitting grave.
I am half-expecting them to (instant?) self-destruct the Shelter to ensure all their pursuers are dead.

• Raiden and Blackody like this

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#465 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Chapter 109 was such a great send-off to a cool character. And it hit me right in the feels. The chapter didn't really progress the plot from last chapter any further but it was great anway, because it was a really well executed send-off. 

Dem Feels!  :(

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#466 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:36 AM

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/110/page/1

Really hate those kids.
Did they disregard the warning that enemies may still be around?

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/110/page/1

Really hate those kids.
Did they disregard the warning that enemies may still be around?
  • Raiden likes this

#467 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:27 AM

I will go back to comment on Chapters 108 and 109. There's something I definitely need to point out with Chapter 110

Chapter 110

First and foremost, the message that Lucas received over the phone: there's something disconcerting about it.

https://onemangaforu...15#entry1164221

Those in this thread may recall this post of mine from last year - about the IQ Brain Power Examination on the official Shonen Jump website for Neverland, and Minerva's message that are shown to those who scored full marks, the "Top Score" people so to speak.

Minerva's message spanned 2 pages, and the recording that Lucas received were from the second page, word for word

I thought it was easter egg material, but Minerva actually said them at one point!?

The reason why I find this unnerving is that someone took a recording of Minerva's message, fast-forwarded to what they wanted the kids to hear and then sent them coordinates, beckoning them to come. It's definitely not the Demons, and as Oliver deduced, it's illogical for the Ratri Clan to be responsible for this.

That leaves Minerva's supporters; and yet, why couldn't they contact the kids with their own voices? Why did they have to use a recording of Minerva to convince them? What, is something wrong with their very voices?

Whatever the case, it just unnerves me as to their intentions.

Even so, we can confirm the following:

1. We know for sure that Minerva felt the need to "raise a banner of revolution" at some point, but when was this? Before he's getting headhunted, or after? If it's the former, that would at least explain the inconsistency in Minerva's intentions
  2. Minerva's faction is still out there

---

Let us at least take solace in the fact that the kids ran outside not because they thought they knew better, but because they just desperately wanted to help Emma, Ray and everyone else.

Having said that, this is an exasperatingly facepalm-worthy situation. WHY

I still don't think that the finishing blow to Andrew will be dealt by the kids because, as explained in an above post, having human kids kill human adults is sure to land the series in trouble.

So I drummed up alternatives, and came to this possibility: Andrew gets eaten by the wild Demons of the forest.

Not only will the kids not be (directly) responsible for his death, but it's an almost fitting scenario: after all, Peter Ratri's faction is all about keeping to the old order of offering humans to the Demons.

#468 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:12 PM

So weird with the owls.

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/112/page/1

Food for thought:
That call is from WM. Real name of WM per end of chapter 72 is James.
And the name at the end or chapter 112 is James.

So I guess difference in Tone is WM genuinely expected to die.
However, he survived and faked his death. Now he is alive, he can take an active role in ensuring the rebellion succeeds rather then entrusting it on people.
Also, he has no way if knowing if shelter group heard the GP message

If they haven't, why burden then with the trouble with his clan?

Edited by YyAoMmIi, 19 November 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#469 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:50 AM

I still don't think that the finishing blow to Andrew will be dealt by the kids because, as explained in an above post, having human kids kill human adults is sure to land the series in trouble.

So I drummed up alternatives, and came to this possibility: Andrew gets eaten by the wild Demons of the forest.

Not only will the kids not be (directly) responsible for his death, but it's an almost fitting scenario: after all, Peter Ratri's faction is all about keeping to the old order of offering humans to the Demons.
CALLED IT!!! It was so satisfying to see that moment happen

I had a feeling something funny was going on with the owls, but I didn't expect this. Between the fantasy demons, black ops enforcement squad or even the ultra smart "caretakers", robotic surveillance owls seemed so outlandishly childish that I never expected stuff like this from this series.

Also, he has no way if knowing if shelter group heard the GP message

If they haven't, why burden then with the trouble with his clan?

In Chapter 98, Emma used the Shelter's secret phone to try and make contact, using a designated sequence of numbers.

Only those with the Master Pen would know that designated sequence, or know how to access the sealed secret phone in the first place. And only those who've heard Minerva's recording at Goldy Pond would know to find the Master Pen.

---

That being said, I'm paranoid as to whether this is even the real James Ratri/William Minerva. The authors could totally screw with us on this front if they so wish.

Heck, I don't even know when this new broadcast was produced.

• Raiden likes this

#470 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:50 PM

Got lots to write. First, some general thoughts:

Chapter 108

Andrew's grenade really screwed the Glory Bell boys over
And Yuugo's onus for not abandoning Lucas made a lot of sense, for not wanting to relive a past regret

Chapter 109

When I first read the Korean Scans, even though I can't read the language at all, when I saw Yuugo the first time, my mind already thought "he's not alive". His clothing spelled it out.
Furthermore, at the 2nd to last page with Lucas having both hands, this also pointed out that they're not alive

But those weren't important. When I went through the Korean Scans and saw what Yuugo was doing just before the Grace Field team arrived in the Shelter, and his flashback thereafter, I could tell this was a chapter about despair and hope, about having courage to keep living no matter what.
Since you never know what life will bring you.

As far as fictional afterlife goes, I'm glad that the Glory Bell boys got to see their family again. Rest in peace, you guys were great characters.

Chapter 113

Previously in the Cuvitidala and time skip chapters, I had protested their presentation since I thought it would've been nice to flesh out the journey of Emma's party, to help make the struggle more grounded and believable like the previous journeys.

But if the brevity was deliberate, with Chapter 113, I think I understand why the decision was made: they saved the fleshing-out for this exodus from the Shelter, to help emphasise the slower pace of moving in such a large group (compared to just 6 people).

Chapter 114 - 117

While this side trip into one of the Factory Farms is arguably filler, I think it's productive in its own way - to serve as a practice run for their eventual infiltration and liberation of Grace Field (and Grand Valley?).
If they can't succeed in raiding a low security Factory Farm, how could they ever hope to succeed with Grace Field's top security?

As for Anna's participation, I won't deny her inexperience could (and did?) lead to problems, but personally, I feel that it's good in the long term for more of the older siblings to gain frontline experience.

(more to come)

• Insane Soul and Raiden like this

#471 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:58 AM

I know I wrote "more to come" in my last post, but due to certain spoilers being posted on Baidu while I was in the middle of writing my next part, I decided to defer it and tweak what I was going to say

Chapter 118
Before we move onto the cliffhanger of this chapter, there's something I want to draw attention to first.

Of Lambda origins
From the brand we saw on one of the freed boys at Lion's Paw HQ, we have confirmation that they were from the Lambda 7214 farm, and thankfully answered a nagging question on my mind.

Back in Ch 113 when all of the children in "Minerva's" custody were shown, my first question was "where were they from?"
They were definitely not from the Mass Production Farms, so that leaves the 4 Premium Farms and Lambda. The Premium Farms I then found unlikely, since not only should that sort of stuff be endgame-level significant + occurrence, but given "Minerva's" meagre firepower, there's no way they are strong enough to take them on.

Thus, I found the likelihood of Lambda origins to be the highest. If that is the case, the ramifications would've been most interesting.

Intelligent children that came from Lambda, whose livestock were all previously shown to be of the mass-produced type? It lends more credence to my earlier pet theory on Lambda.

Other suspicious signs that help support this notion include surgical marks here and there on some bodies, "Minerva's" subordinates being suspiciously young, and Hayato's athleticism.

---

But even if I am on the right track, something about this stinks: our last glimpse of Lambda was at Jan 29th 2046, and it's now Sep 2047, about 1 year and 8 months time span in between.
Am I supposed to believe that those mass-produced kids' brains can be properly developed/re-engineered in such a short time? 
(And that's before accounting for reports of farm liberations happening even earlier than that)

Crack theory: barring unethical super genetics technique/technology, the only other (still far-out) idea I can think of is that Lambda was enclosed in some kind of dimensional bubble where time moves faster inside than outside; like, outside 1 year had passed, but inside 5 years had passed.
A most ridiculous idea, but given that this series is called "The Promised Neverland" and that "Minerva" himself made a Neverland reference, Hyperbolic Time Chambers are fair game.

Plus, it may serve to explain the next topic...

The Boss
Call me paranoid, but even with Norman's appearance this chapter, I hesitate to believe it's him.

So, my "more to come" segment was going to be me laying out objections to the notion that the "William Minerva" we had seen in the last couple of chapters is Norman. But since I was spoiled that he does indeed look like Norman, here's my tweaked post.

First, some things to highlight before I go through my reasoning:
  1. Norman's last appearance was in Chapter 97, nearly 4 weeks since the escape from Goldy Pond on Jan 29th 2046. Which places this appearance at about Feb 28th 2046, or even early March 2046.
  2. The first appearance of somebody who wears the same cloak as "Minerva" is in Chapter 98, in March 2046.
  3. The next appearance of "James/Minerva", who also possess the cloak, are in Ch 110, 112 and 113. Timeline is currently September 2047
I make a point to distinguish (2) and (3), in the improbable but still possible event that they are not one in the same.

My main argument was that, if we use Emma and Ray as benchmarks for physical growth, then Norman is unlikely to outgrow them. I can tentatively buy Norman breaking out of Lambda in the one month between (1) Feb 2046 and (2) Mar 2046, but I cannot buy the notion that he outgrew them in that span of time. And the person at (2) certainly had an adult stature.

And this very chapter, the contrast between Emma and "Norman's" appearance is clear.

So my current stance is this:
  • If Lambda = Hyperbolic Time Chamber, then I will accept that this "William Minerva" before us is indeed Norman, and that farm-wide breakout between Feb 2046 and Mar 2046 is possible.
  • Otherwise, I say that this guy is neither Norman nor the real Minerva, going so far as to accept clone shenanigans

Of course, since this man has yet to respond to Emma's distress, I might have winded up overthinking a few things.

---

In any case, I'll leave this post off with a list of what we do know about "Minerva":
  • He has access to the secret line to the Shelter
  • Has access to the "banner of revolution" recording from Minerva (however, due to the silence of manga, no confirmation if same voice as Minerva just yet)
  • Provided a numerical code that also makes use of Minerva's book, so they're at least familiar with Minerva's methods
  • Has been leading liberations on multiple Factory Farms since some time before the ambush on the Shelter
  • His subordinates had addressed him as "James", so the group at least knows that "James" is Minerva's real name (not going to count the "James Ratri" from Ch 112's Editor Note)

• Raiden likes this

#472 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Ah yes, forgot to mention: as stated in my pet theory, I still believe that since Norman has to serve as the "template" for the braininess that's to be implemented onto the other subjects, he is not to be touched. Meaning, no body enhancements/genetic manipulation and the likes, which in turn rules out accelerated aging.

If Norman was tampered with, I would be surprised

• Raiden likes this

#473 Magic Man

Magic Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

So too early to make epilogue predictions?

I think Norman will die during the series, Ray and Anna getting married and having kids, and lastly Emma will actually become a house mother to an orphanage, an real orphanage, not one that is a front for demon bafee. As for the demons, we meet a couple of good demons, so I think humans and demons can peacefully co exist and Phil be an ambassador between the two species.

Edited by Magic Man, 17 January 2019 - 06:35 PM.

#474 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:37 AM

@Magic Man I would say too early yeah

Chapter 119

For the first half of the chapter, I was just waiting for Ray to show up and give his opinion

Well, if even he believes the guy before us is Norman, I would have to concede.

But I blame Posuka's art for the mislead. Norman's build was way too adult to look 14 in previous depictions.

---

I am pretty sure that we will be getting more flashbacks on what transpired at Lambda, there's no way everything will be left to off-screen.

Smee huh? Unless it's an alias, this feels like a more forced way of keeping to the Neverland motif.

But having all of Minerva's intelligence handed off to him? Norman has been way more lucky than Emma

While I'm at it, I find this baffling: compared to Emma's group single act of sinking a hunting ground, surely Norman's group raiding dozens of farms would've warranted more attention.

And Andrew's group was still prioritised on Emma? Unless there's another task force that's already on the raiders' case, that seems nonsensical

#475 Oben

Oben

♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,059 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:08 AM

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/120/page/1

Yay explanations, although I have the feeling that Norman might be an unreliable narrator in this case. Wonder what happens when the demons cannibalize each other, which might be what this drifts towards.

Also, how does the explanation fit the religious demons who didn't maintain a steady human diet again?

• Raiden likes this

#476 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationOne profile checks...Two profile checks...Three...

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

That is what I am curious about, it seems human eating turn them more devilish because if we take a look at Musica she was pretty humanish, the other demon looked kind of different because he did mention the tried human meat on the past, Musica never did. Yet they are still alive so there is something off about that.

#477 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/120/page/1

Yay explanations, although I have the feeling that Norman might be an unreliable narrator in this case. Wonder what happens when the demons cannibalize each other, which might be what this drifts towards.

Also, how does the explanation fit the religious demons who didn't maintain a steady human diet again?

That is what I am curious about, it seems human eating turn them more devilish because if we take a look at Musica she was pretty humanish, the other demon looked kind of different because he did mention the tried human meat on the past, Musica never did. Yet they are still alive so there is something off about that.

I was going to address this in my compiled thoughts on this chapter, but might as well talk about this aspect now

Among the Demons seen in the story thus far, Nous and Nouma are siblings, and Ch 102 had a pair of Demon siblings as well. Which would suggest the possibility that Demons that have adopted human (animal?) traits can reproduce.

Now, Sung-Joo's claim about Musica is that she's never consumed human meat. Yet, her level of intelligence contradicts the stated facts this chapter, in that Demons need human meat at least every 6 months to retain their intelligence, let alone form.
So what if "animal" Demons can breed among themselves, and the offspring of humanoid Demons will have longer-lasting levels of intelligence even without human meat? And then they just need other food to sustain their forms?

Whatever the case, Emma is bound to bring up Musica's friendliness before Norman at some point, and hopefully this gets addressed.
(He will probably say she'll turn on them for survival at some point, but still)

#478 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:48 AM

Somehow Norman gives me the vibe that he's going to be an antagonist at the end of series. Like somehow his demon extermination goes overboard or something

17.jpg

#479 Oben

Oben

♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,059 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

I reread the episode with Musica and Sonju, and I came across Sonju's strong affirmation that he'll eat anything but humans again.

http://mangaseeonlin...46-page-19.html

Then later, he's asked why they're nomads, and he also only answers with a counter-question and grins demonically.

http://mangaseeonlin...-48-page-6.html

Their faith also let's them eat anything "naturally" produced by god, which doesn't exclude other demons.

http://mangaseeonlin...51-page-14.html

Finally, after the groups have parted, Sonju kills an intelligent demon and his lower demon servants. But in the end, only the corpses of the animal demons are shown, while the intelligent demon is gone except for his mask.

http://mangaseeonlin...-52-page-5.html

Yeah, I think Cannibalism is a strong option.

• Insane Soul, Raiden and Gobi Todic like this

#480 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

Cannibalism makes for yet another possible option for how intelligence is retained in Demons in a shortage of humans yeah

Chapter 120

Well well, this week certainly offered a lot to talk about.
Not aliens, but bacteria? Kaiu-sensei, what a crazy idea you came up with. 

So the Demons are effectively like metamorphs/mimics, copying the traits of whatever they consume, huh? Interesting.
That certainly explains Sung Joo's horse and Lewis' monkey. But what about the Promise-Maker's (not going to pronounce his name) dragon?

The Farm of Experiments
I see my pet theory for Lambda 7214, "trying to get the (best of) both worlds", was mostly on the mark. No hyperbolic time chambers exist of course, but seeing what was actually happening there, that would have been a kinder fate in opposition to "unethical super genetics technique/technology" as noted before.

See, according to the Master Pen in Chapter 73, Lambda 7214 was said to be a 試験農園
  • 農園 means "farm" (albeit smaller and more specialised than the more common 農場), that's simple
  • 試験 has more definitions, can mean "test/examination/trial/experiment". Because it has more meanings, not knowing the author's intent on this can wind up surprising readers, let alone translators
In conjunction with its description as a "new farm", I thought the 試験 was along the lines of 試験版 ("trial version", eg video game demos). And even thought Lambda was evidently conducting experiments, I still thought 試験農園 is like "experimental farm".

But seeing this chapter, and finally understanding that it's really "the farm of experiments", now that shocked me in a horrifying way, beyond everything I dared to imagine.
Seriously, Peter Ratri's scene in Ch 97 should've already clued me to the nature of Lambda.

---

Still doesn't appear that Norman had undergone accelerated aging or otherwise, but many other subjects did undergo accelerated aging, with instability a common side effect too. Norman's fear of the kids at Lion's Paw HQ mutating at any point is a valid concern.

Also, it's worth noting that in the scenes when Norman was running (escaping?) in Lambda, someone else with the same clothes as him was with him. Probably another "mental intelligence template" like he was, and probably not Smee.
A new character? Someone from Goodwill Ridge (suggesting it only because we've yet to see anything from them)? Or possibly even Leslie?

(more to come)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users