Photo

The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland)

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#481 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:41 AM

A Question of Necessity
This is something I've been wondering for a while now, but learning of the nature of Demons and Lambda has finally spurred me enough to ask: why is the Ratri Clan providing so much support for the Premium Farms?

See, the Promise was that Demons won't hunt humans, and humans won't hunt Demons, right? And that's only viable on the Demon side because they managed to capture a decent amount of humans on their side of the world, thus allowing them to be kept as livestock for provisions.
Thing is, even if no more humans exist in the Demon World, that does not violate the Promise.

So why is the Ratri Clan, even in the days before Minerva's leadership, still putting so much support behind the Premium Farms, and even build Lambda 7214 from scratch for the sake of developing more productive harvests?
Like, isn't it better if the humans in the Demon World all die out, so that the Demons will eventually starve and devolve and become less of a threat? Why is it necessary to support their farming endeavours?

Where's the profit in their excessive involvement? Or are they worried that the Demons would otherwise violate the Promise themselves and invade the human world out of food shortage and desperation?

The Future for the Cattle
Needless to say, things are looking contentious between the paths our protagonists should be taking.

Norman
He wants to start a revolution and exterminate all Demons. He believes they have the manpower, the smarts and the firepower to accomplish this.
For now, I will disregard discussing the morality of such a course of action, and examine how feasible an extermination is.

Here's a rough layout of those on the enemy side at the moment:
  • Mass Production Farms
  • The 4 Premium Farms
  • The 5 Noble Families, first noted this chapter. I get the feeling that the hunters at Goldy Pond hailed from these families
  • The Ratri Clan

I'll be direct: I feel that since Norman's faction had only dealt with the Mass Production Farms (as far as combat goes), he has sorely underestimated his mortal enemies. Every other major group out there will be stronger than them.
Heck, even if you factor in Emma's group's firepower, they only succeeded in breaking out of Goldy Pond after long years of scheming and a careful multi-prong assassination plan. They would've failed in a head-on confrontation.
The Ratri Clan will outmuscle them too.

Furthermore, the instability of the Lambda children is a real concern. They could go haywire on the battlefield at the worst moments.
There's just so many unfavourable factors that'd make his idea unfeasible.

Emma and Ray
Their main aim is to create a new Promise in which the cattle children won't be eaten and will be free to leave. Let's start by reviewing once more their plan as of Ch 97:
  1. Contact the Supporters
  2. Find the Seven Walls
  3. Meet the Promise Maker
  4. Make a new Promise
  5. Liberate Grace Field and escape to the human world
To that end, (1) and (2) are done, and as of Ch 103, they have the location and the means to actually meet the Promise Maker. However, the Ratri Clan is on high alert, so it's difficult for them to make the journey.
Also, they currently have less than 2 months before their scheduled deadline for liberating Grace Field.

It's worth noting that the escape route of the Premium Farms is contingent on the assistance of the Supporters, based on Minerva's recording. But they're all gone now, although the information about the escape routes should still be in Norman's possession.
At any rate, with the Supporters gone, and unless Emma succeeds in forging a new Promise to save themselves, escaping to the human world is far too unsafe. The instability of the Lambda children complicates this further.

---

For now, I can see the 3 of them all agreeing on pooling their strengths together to liberate Grace Field and save their family.
What happens after, no one can be certain at this point

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#482 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:07 AM

Chapter 121 to 123

I'll start with some character talk.

Emma
I can tell there'll be people complaining about Emma again, but I think her sentiments are fine as is.

I liked that she was both emotional and logical about the matter. Emotional because she extended her empathy out towards the opposition, logical because she's aware that they have to keep fighting so that their side doesn't die out.

Ray
In Ch 121 with his phrasing, "if there's really a strategy", I was just waiting for him to voice his doubts about Norman's approach, and man they did not disappoint. I really hadn't considered that the implications behind Sung-Joo and Musica's state of being could work against the kids too.

Also, I must point out something about his conversation with Emma - Ray, the logical pragmatist, was concerned about Emma's feelings.
Ray, the brother who at the start of the series met Emma's naive wishes with laughter and scorn, is now respecting Emma's irrational take on the situation at hand without mocking her.
Ray, who in the past was willing to hide his knowledge and plans and string his allies along to attain the outcome he wanted, had effectively just sought Emma's affirmation before going ahead with his next move.

While I've liked Emma for always being the crafty compassionate courageous big sister, with this conversation, I felt a difference sense of satisfaction with Ray. I could feel that he's changed, matured for the better, in a way that I can finally take him seriously as the eldest sibling among the main trio. Like, he's finally grown into his position.
I am so satisfied with his subtle but notable character development.

---

Well then, the current situation does beggar the question of how long can Norman keep up his "boss" facade before the Lambda kids?

Are we going to get a glimpse into just how stable/unstable the older kids are?

And one matter I had wanted to address in my last post but forgot: the Grand Valley kids would understandably like Norman's idea of exterminating the Demons, while I can see the Grace Field kids staying on Emma and Ray's side should a schism form.
But should that come to pass, I wonder: would the Grand Valley kids go with Norman because his idea is more tempting, or would they go with Emma whom had led them for so long?

• Raiden likes this

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#483 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

Better get this out before next chapter comes

Chapter 124

Cislo and Barbara were from Goodwill Ridge, huh? Interesting, and here I thought Norman was the only recent Premium to have been brought to Lambda. To say nothing of experiments being carried out on Premiums as well.

I have to say, I was worried about how these Irregulars would react to knowing what their Boss used to be like. Or how they would react should they learn of Emma and Ray's doubts.

Thank goodness that for all their disdain at the notion, Cislo and Vincent were at least still civil about their uncertainty.

Well then, given that the operation is already in motion, I can see Emma and Ray going along with Norman's plan, if only because they don't want him to die again.

---

So, leaving aside the issue of trust and alliances, what kind of Demons are these that Norman would dare to reveal their existence, that have a chance of securing a deal?

Another thought I have had for some time: our main attention has been drawn towards liberating Grace Field and escaping to the Human World safely. But with mysteries on the Demon side like the Tifari event, were we ever going to get a chance to fit them in?

Perhaps this arc of meddling with Demon affairs will provide us opportunities to explore these mysteries

• Raiden and Blackody like this

#484 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Right now, I can't see Emmas wish of the demons and humans both being happy come true.

My best case scenario would be that the humans escape, with some of them dying in the process, and the demons lose. I can't realistically see anything better happening.

Also, my bet on who will survive until the end are Emma, Ray and Gilda.

• Jekkusormi likes this

#485 Magic Man

Magic Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

Latest chapter is out

https://readms.net/r...land/126/5725/1

I knew it, there were some human / demon breeding going on. It is not official, but that is the impression I am getting.

#486 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

https://readms.net/r...5738/1?mobile=1

https://jaiminisbox....en/0/127/page/1

Wow, the forums are divided on Norman and Emma.
Ray hasn't said anything yet, just facts. Though most likely supporting Emma
Everyone is pointing out how Norman and Ray swap roles due to recent time with Emma.

Personally I'm on team Emma.
I can see Norman underestimating both Nobles forces and Musica.
There is a reason why there is a fallen clan... Rebellion or not, even with human forces, I don't see how fallen clan matches the royal.
Not to mention Norman has yet to mention the demon king who's name can not be said...

I wonder if Musica is related to that 7 wall demon? The one in Emma Vision.
  • Raiden likes this

#487 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

I wonder if Musica is related to that 7 wall demon? The one in Emma Vision.

Just like Minerva, Musica is aware of the mysterious 2nd Promise that was made to the Demon God of the Seven Walls, so chances are she is related in some way (annoying that we still don't have a decent way to address him)

Also, the Demon King is apparently someone else entirely from the Demon God

I'm the kind of gamer who will take the non-lethal option if the choice is available, so I'm with Emma, even if I'm not entirely on board with her views

Seriously, Emma the big sister masterminding huntress has built up so much goodwill throughout the story that I'm not about to abandon her just because her pacifist views seem a bit naive. And let's not forget that she's against exterminating, but not killing.

But mostly, I'm with her because I can't help but feel Norman's plan will fall apart. If not because of the balance of forces, it will be because of the instability of his fighting strength

Edited by gamria, 15 March 2019 - 11:48 PM.

• Raiden and YyAoMmIi like this

#488 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Personally I'm with Norman, he had solid reasonings. But I have a nasty feeling that the author will pull up some unlikely events so that they end up working for Emmas favor

Edited by Jekkusormi, 17 March 2019 - 06:24 PM.

17.jpg

#489 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

I'm on Emma's side. Norman is much too extremist for my liking and while Emma is an idealist it's the only way to make the world a better place. (exterminating all the demons really doesn't make the cattle children better than the demons. Also without Musica's help the cattle children would be dead already, so Norman should think about that for a moment)

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users