Photo

The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland)

• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#521 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Oh boy that smile on Norman's face at the end of the chapter and the shock in Emma's face really hit me hard. I really love this manga, sadly it is soon to be over.

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#522 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

Ok really strange chapter. Would totally have bet on the Lambda kids to go against Norman, Emma and Ray, though the end was really shocking. Norman receives his redemption, what was nice and then the Queen stands back up...

Edited by Raiden, 13 October 2019 - 09:05 AM.

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#523 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,621 posts
  • LocationOne profile checks...Two profile checks...Three...

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

I would say that the author can't drag this for forever if it is ending soon. 

The Lambda kids having a 180º is kind of ridiculous. But I Still enjoy this manga.

• Raiden likes this

#524 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:47 AM

I would say that the author can't drag this for forever if it is ending soon. 

The Lambda kids having a 180º is kind of ridiculous. But I Still enjoy this manga.

If you interpret their stance as "follow Norman wherever he goes", it's not entirely 180 degrees

But yeah, while I don't hate the series and enjoy it for what it is, it has gotten less exciting overall.

It's stumbled into what I call the "Enigma problem", something that I've been dreading for this particular series.

Allow me to explain

---

In September 2010, a new series serialised in Weekly Shonen Jump called Enigma. The young ones probably hadn't heard of this before, so here's a basic synopsis.

It's a story about 7 students, who one night found themselves trapped inside of their school, which has effectively become a sealed chamber. An entity calling itself Enigma then gives them a challenge: "Escape their Destiny".

Each of the students have a supernatural "Talent", and using these, they must find a way to escape the school in 72 hours. Upon completion, escapees will be granted a Reward.

At the time, the mix of supernatural powers + puzzles + mystery + suspense + character development made for a great delight. It got rave feedback; ranked high in the TOC (peak was #3 I believe), its Volumes sold well and it was so notable that Bakuman incorporated it as a discussion point.

However, it ran into a fatal problem: it couldn't scale. Beyond the escape, the story was found wanting and grew considerably uninteresting.

And so, despite the stellar beginning, the series was axed at 55 chapters (plus 1 epilogue chapter in Jump NEXT)

---

From this, whenever I see a new serialisation on Jump, I pretty much remain alert for the Enigma problem: is the scope of the series capable of scaling, and in a sensible fashion at that?

This is especially tricky for series that're unconventional (eg not battle or sport manga)

It's why I was apprehensive about series that have unconventional setups that're potentially good, like Act-age (thankfully this can scale)

A recent example would be Mission: Yozakura Family (still haven't checked this out yet)

With Neverland, my instinct told me this will be something unique from the get-go, but I couldn't help being constantly on the watch for the Enigma problem, especially with the very similar setup of "mental battle" + "escape confined space" + "mystery" + "suspense"

To its credit, the Search for Minerva and Goldy Pond arcs that followed after the beginning at Grace Field House were pretty good. Kaiu-sensei and Posuka-sensei had proven themselves to be able to expand the scope of the story beyond the escape, so I thought my fears can be released after 2 years.

Alas, with recent developments, I might've been too hasty after all. Although, I wouldn't say it suffered in the same way as Enigma did: compared to that "fall" from grace, this one is more of a slide that is much more gradual, and the quality is still decent.

I just hope that it can get a hold on itself. I would hate for this series to go down infamously.

Edited by gamria, 14 October 2019 - 04:49 AM.

• Insane Soul and Raiden like this

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#525 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

I kind of agree with that. I don't think it will get axed, but I also feel a difference. It's the same as with Attack on Titan. The main premise was to find out the origin of the titans. Once they did that, the genre shifted a bit. The mystery part was mostly gone.

The Promised Neverland had that to some extent. The big premise was to find out how to escape from the farm and what lies behind the walls. Now that we achieved that, the premise also shifted. Less mystery and more action. It is still good in my opinion, but different.

Black Clover would be a good example of somewhat newer scalable manga. The premise can stay the same, but they can just invent new storylines one after the other.

#526 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:35 AM

I kind of agree with that. I don't think it will get axed, but I also feel a difference. It's the same as with Attack on Titan. The main premise was to find out the origin of the titans. Once they did that, the genre shifted a bit. The mystery part was mostly gone.

The Promised Neverland had that to some extent. The big premise was to find out how to escape from the farm and what lies behind the walls. Now that we achieved that, the premise also shifted. Less mystery and more action. It is still good in my opinion, but different.

Black Clover would be a good example of somewhat newer scalable manga. The premise can stay the same, but they can just invent new storylines one after the other.

Sorry, but I must disagree on that point with Shingeki. No, the premise of that series is Eren Jaegar's quest to exterminate every last Titan and gain freedom

And no, the genre did not shift. It had political elements even in the early game and midgame, and when the scale expanded and extra flavours were added, that aspect never changed (albeit more focused)

And whilst we learn of the origin of the Titans at the 2/3 point of the story, that did not answer all the mysteries. There were still some lingering mysteries left, just waiting for the right time to answer.

Isayama-sensei clearly went for the same approach that Arakawa-sensei did with Fullmetal Alchemist: plan everything out in advance, albeit he was more thorough with his undertaking.

Now that I'm typing this, Neverland's problem isn't actually a case of the Enigma problem: between Norman's survival, Musica and the Demon God, things were clearly planned in advance. Scaling doesn't quite apply as an argument if the story is already planned ahead.

No, this is probably a case of "disparity between planning and execution". On paper, the current happenings seemed good, but actually implementing them proved less tasty than intended

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users