560 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

This is where you get to speak on the DC Television Universe as cultivated on CW. Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Constantine.

NOTE: (Gotham wasn't included because it's in a separate universe).

I'm surprised that Black Lightning is getting a TV show before Vixen is. http://screenrant.co...show-dc-comics/ From what I understand, she's had a web show for awhile. And I don't remember anyone dumping on her Arrow appearance either.
  • Chillman likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#2 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

so whats all this then about supergirl moving to the cw?  what happened?  could they not compete  or is the cw playing monopoly with dc?

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#3 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

so whats all this then about supergirl moving to the cw? what happened? could they not compete or is the cw playing monopoly with dc?

Ratings.

While CBS said they would have kept Supergirl for season 2 (unlike Limitless) it wasn't doing great overall for them and so since CBS had a partnership with CW they chunked it to them
  • retroluffy13 likes this

#4 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Really excited to see Black Lightning's show and I love how they've managed to be so successful at spinning things off from Arrow. Though hopefully Arrow picks up for Season 5 and see's a major increased in quality. Because Season 4 was trash besides Oliver's new outfit.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#5 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Is Black Lightning grown up Static Shock? Or BL a mentor to SS?

I'm really not liking the fact that Superman is in the CW universe. With Superman comes Batman, and honestly, it's been nice not having those two around. I hope they bring in Huntress (Helena Wayne) and we can get a World's Finest thing going on.
  • Red Opus likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#6 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

so whats all this then about supergirl moving to the cw?  what happened?  could they not compete  or is the cw playing monopoly with dc?

CBS liked the show but it was very expensive to make and they weren't making back what they were spending on it. CW is even cheaper but they are willing to take her on. However, we are likely to lose Calista Flockhart/Cat Grant since the actress prefers LA where she lives and the show is shot whereas all the CW shows are shot in Vancouver.

Is Black Lightning grown up Static Shock? Or BL a mentor to SS?

I'm really not liking the fact that Superman is in the CW universe. With Superman comes Batman, and honestly, it's been nice not having those two around. I hope they bring in Huntress (Helena Wayne) and we can get a World's Finest thing going on.

Black Lightning predates Static Shock by more than a decade.  He was one of DC's first black superheroes to get an ongoing.  However, there were some rights issues preventing the character from appearing in other media, so in Superfriends they replaced him with Black Vulcan and in Static Shock, they used Soul Power. Later on in JLU, they used Juice who was an expy of Black Vulcan thus making him an expy of an expy. Though recently, it seems that whatever rights issues that were holding back the characters has been straightened out seeing as he got his own DC Nation short, appeared in Batman: Brave and the Bold (albeit as a teenager) and guest starred in Young Justice, JL: Crisis on Two Earths and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.  

There are some who claim that Static Shock's powers were a nod to Black Lightning but I recall an interview with one of his creators which cited a different source of inspiration for his powers so both of them having electric powers might just be a happy coincidence. This did lead to a joke meme among the comic circles I hang out with people asking 'why does DC have so many black guys with electric powers?'. 

Anyway, whilst Black Lightning is often described as DC's answer to Luke Cage, he is much closer to being their answer to Daredevil. Jefferson Pierce was a school teacher who taught in one of Metropolis inner city slums called 'Suicide Slum'. For most of his life, he hid his powers and tried to fight the corruption and violence from within the system. However, when one of his students is violently murdered by a gang for the 'crime' of helping him, he becomes the hero Black Lightning. He is also an Olympic level athlete and taught Physics. His archenemy is Tobias Whale who is a Kingpin expy. He has also fought and defeated members of the League of Assassins like Merlin.

This got long but if you want to know more about the character then check out Jen Van Metre's Black Lightning: Year One mini series which is one of the best modern retelling of his origin.  He also teamed up with Static in Brave and the Bold  #24 and with Blue Devil in DC Universe Present #13-17. If you don't mind reading older Bronze Age comics then check out Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eden's original Black Lightning ongoing Black Lightning Vol. 1 as well as his brief 90's ongoing under the same writer. He and Katana has been a permanent fixture on Batman and the Outsiders since the team's inception.  I am mostly familiar with Mike W Barr/Aparo/Alan Davis run on the book and there is definitely story arcs and sub plots dedicated to him in that run.  

Edited by Kazekage, 02 September 2016 - 12:41 PM.

• DarkNemesis, retroluffy13, Ace1225 and 2 others like this

#7 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

CBS liked the show but it was very expensive to make and they weren't making back what they were spending on it. CW is even cheaper but they are willing to take her on. However, we are likely to lose Calista Flockhart/Cat Grant since the actress prefers LA where she lives and the show is shot whereas all the CW shows are shot in Vancouver.

http://www.econotime...n-as-Cat-261660

http://www.ew.com/ar...ckhart-new-role

• retroluffy13 likes this

#8 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the links. I had no idea how that whole situation panned out.

#9 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

'Black Lightning' TV Show: Fox Developing with Greg Berlanti, Salim & Mara Brock Akil

So its going to be on Fox. 

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#10 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

'Black Lightning' TV Show: Fox Developing with Greg Berlanti, Salim & Mara Brock Akil

So its going to be on Fox.

:-/
It going to suck or at least be really watered down

#11 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

:-/
It going to suck or at least be really watered down

Ok. We get to watch another show die on Fox and guest star on Arrow :rolleyes:

Spoiler

#12 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

SMH when will they learn. I do hope this proves to be the standout however and manages to be successful in the long run. DC needs to step their game up with these live action shows.

I can't force you to believe me that's your choice. People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" and "true?" Merely vague concepts...their reality may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?-Itachi Uchiha

#13 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Believe or not, black shows don't do that bad on Fox. So there's hope. But given what happened with Constantine, I don't think they've learned from that. Especially, given that there hasn't been an interview addressing that.

@secretzfan - informs me that my memory is shit. And I thank him for it.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 08 September 2016 - 03:20 PM.

Spoiler

#14 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

Believe or not, black shows don't that bad on Fox. So there's hope. But given what happened with Constantine, I don't think they've learned from that. Especially, given that there hasn't been an interview addressing that.

..I think you confusing Fox with NBC 

• DarkNemesis likes this

#15 RamenRenegade

RamenRenegade

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Black Lightning might be cool but I'd much rather a Static Shock series. I was a HUGE fan of the cartoon.

4139c0ca-f053-40db-8794-a7ad05685299.jpg

"A Wise Man Can Learn More From A Foolish Question

Than A Foolish Man Can Learn From A Wise Answer." Questions?

Join the Legion of Ramen / My Fanfiction Account

Heaven & Earth: The NaruSaku FC

Spoiler A list of Ramen's Nicknames

Spoiler Favorite All-time Manga
  •  

• #16 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 16,284 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

http://www.ibtimes.c...-season-2421456

As revealed at Comic-Con, Damien is one of the four villains that make up the Legion of Doom. The three other baddies are the Reverse-Flash / Eobard Thawne (Matt Letscher), Captain Cold / Leonard Snart (Wentworth Miller) and Malcolm Merlyn / The Dark Archer (John Barrowman).

Why would Captain Cold be a part of the Legion of Doom? I thought he was a good guy even through the very end. Is this a temporary development?

Spoiler

#17 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 967 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:55 PM

http://www.ibtimes.c...-season-2421456

Why would Captain Cold be a part of the Legion of Doom? I thought he was a good guy even through the very end. Is this a temporary development?

I don't see Cold as a good guy at all nor is he completely bad. They gave him humanity yes, but he still walks that line
    • DarkNemesis and JDG973 like this

#18 Ace1225

Ace1225

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:33 PM

He's not a good guy, but he's nothing compared to the likes of Damien Darhk, Eobard Thawne, and Malcoln Merlyn. That's the equivalent of having Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, then you fill out the team with The Punisher.

• DarkNemesis and JDG973 like this

#19 Lauri

Lauri

Pirate

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 459 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Wait so Darhk and Cold are alive`?

#20 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members