#422 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

I still don't understand why roshi is in that tournament. Isn't he kid goku lvl?

Edited by Enbima, 15 February 2017 - 02:43 PM.

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#423 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I still don't understand why roshi is in that tournament. Isn't he kid goku lvl?

Same can be asked about Krillin and Tien though. Goten and Trunks are absurdly stronger than the 3 of them, and I don't understand why android 16 isn't brought back I mean, they did ask Shenron to revive everyone who was killed by Cell, didn't they? Dude was stronger than 17 or 18...

tumblr_mg4t7olJvZ1s2x1ggo1_500.png

#424 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Should be.

Same can be asked about Krillin and Tien though.

Power up?... Asspull?

Goten and Trunks are absurdly stronger than the 3 of them,

True. But also their immaturity is seen as liability. Not a good enough reason for me, but seemingly for the characters.

and I don't understand why android 16 isn't brought back I mean, they did ask Shenron to revive everyone who was killed by Cell, didn't they?

I don't think machines were included by default. And 16 was a machine whereas 17 and 18 weren't.

Dude was stronger than 17 or 18...

16 is a full android. He would need a major upgrade to compete. 17 and 18 can train to get stronger.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#425 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Should be.

Power up?... Asspull?

True. But also their immaturity is seen as liability. Not a good enough reason for me, but seemingly for the characters.

I don't think machines were included by default. And 16 was a machine whereas 17 and 18 weren't.

16 is a full android. He would need a major upgrade to compete. 17 and 18 can train to get stronger.

But didn't Champas universe have a robot participating?
  • Strobacaxi likes this

17.jpg

#426 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

But didn't Champas universe have a robot participating?

A being made of metal. It wasn't a robot.
  • Chillman likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#427 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

@DarkNemesis @DarkNemesis can you hear me?, you know im kidding right?

Edited by tenchu, 15 February 2017 - 03:50 PM.

24gvaiu.jpg

#428 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

@DarkNemesis @DarkNemesis can you hear me?, you know im kidding right?

No.

I still don't understand why roshi is in that tournament.

All that time reading magazines has increased his power level to Ginyu Force levels.

• Enbima likes this

#429 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

A being made of metal. It wasn't a robot.

Isn't a robot a being made of metal?

#430 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Isn't a robot a being made of metal?

He was specifically stated to be a metal alien, not a robot.

#431 ixSheng

ixSheng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

what is it that @DarkNemesis wants, im trying to decode what is it that he wants. It seems to me that he wants @ixSheng to make his own DB super thread without spoilers and he will follow him there, is this what you want @DarkNemesis?. I think it's a great solution to the situation. @ixSheng makes his own DB super thread with no spoilers and @DarkNemesis follows him there. 

Why do you keep saying this and confusing things? I'm not making a separate "non-spoiler" thread because this thread is already supposed to be that to some extent.. Anyone who wants to post spoilers either needs to create another thread for them or post them within spoilers tags.. @Goddess Nike already cleared up the situation.. There was a previous vote when DBS was not in the Semi-Pro section and it was voted that spoilers were to be in tags.. Now that it is in the Semi-Pro section another thread can be created by the people who actually want to come across spoilers..

I get it but we all voted . The people have spoken.

People aren't following the vote results....... If they were I wouldn't have even had to bring up this conversation.....................

Edited by ixSheng, 15 February 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• Goddess Nike likes this

Don't let anything anyone posts distract you from the fact that Krillin was the first of U7 to get knocked out in the ToP :laugh:

#432 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

All that time reading magazines has increased his power level to Ginyu Force levels.
you mean the bouncy bouncy gains? In that case hes at least SSJ3 level.
  • Chillman likes this

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#433 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

The argument against Goten and Trunks isn't that strong when they've allowed fat Buu on the team who is an even bigger liability in terms of unpredictability, immaturity and childishness. That said I prefer it this way since I wouldn't want the U7 team to be an all saiyan one.
Krillin, Roshi, and  Tien are all tournament veterans (the latter two former champions even) so that may be the logic used to justify their inclusion on the team, which is dubious given their strength relative to the others but it's good to (potentially) see them back in action regardless. Still want Golden Frieza on the team though...

@ixSheng
Don't worry about Tenchu he was only joking, he's rarely ever being serious when he posts like that.

And in fairness Tokoya is pretty consistent about tags anytime he posts or discusses spoilers and any others are probably being forgetful about them rather than spiteful so now that you've brought it to attention again hopefully it won't happen anymore. If it continues passed this than we know it's intentional and at that point I'll make the spoiler thread myself and let the mods know what's going on. For now though I'd like to trust that we're mature enough that we can all use one thread and be considerate of other posters.

• DarkNemesis, JDG973 and Blue22 like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#434 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

I mean...if we really wanted to go there, it was Goku's immaturity that got them all into this mess in the first place XD

I don't think maturity had a factor in why Goten and Trunks aren't participating. Whether it makes sense with the universe at stake or not, I'm glad they've just decided to let characters like Roshi, Tien, and the Androids have their times to shine.

On a semi-related note....Roshi got picked over Yamcha :laugh: :lolxg:

Edited by Blue22, 15 February 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#435 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

@tenchu Goddess Nike says you are predictable. What are you going to do from now on?

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#436 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

You know what? I'm just gonna say it... Why is goku the one choosing the team? Why is there no one who isn't from Earth? this would be the perfect opportunity to explore Freeza's race, or some other weird race, like Hit's for example (Assuming it exists in U7). But no, let's bring fodder earthlings. Seriously, does Whis not know a single soul in the entire universe who is stronger than a 200 year old pervert who is 10 times weaker than Radditz?

Wasn't there a fighter Namek remaining after "the purge"? Those guys were absolutely stronger than Roshi... 

Hell, I'd pay to see mr. Popo get called. Wasn't he seen stopping Goten and Trunks' attacks during Buu arc?

Imagine that. Dude's fighting all chilled out and suddenly, BOOM he's revealed to be stronger than Gohan

Edited by Strobacaxi, 15 February 2017 - 05:55 PM.

• ixSheng and KUROkami like this

#437 KUROkami

KUROkami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationHyperbolic Time Chamber

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

You know what? I'm just gonna say it... Why is goku the one choosing the team? Why is there no one who isn't from Earth? this would be the perfect opportunity to explore Freeza's race, or some other weird race, like Hit's for example (Assuming it exists in U7). But no, let's bring fodder earthlings. Seriously, does Whis not know a single soul in the entire universe who is stronger than a 200 year old pervert who is 10 times weaker than Radditz?
Wasn't there a fighter Namek remaining after "the purge"? Those guys were absolutely stronger than Roshi...

Hell, I'd pay to see mr. Popo get called. Wasn't he seen stopping Goten and Trunks' attacks during Buu arc?
Imagine that. Dude's fighting all chilled out and suddenly, BOOM he's revealed to be stronger than Gohan

Well that would make too much sense and actually make for a new interesting take on the story . So nope they wouldn't do it.

#438 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

This is just one of those times where you gotta put logic on the back burner. Consider this the fanservice arc. People have been asking for the other Z-Fighters to do something worthwhile, and now we have it. If things made sense, Goten and Trunks would be part of this instead of Roshi and Tien (Or Krillin, depending on who you think is stronger). And as much as like Goten and Trunks, I'd much rather see some of the old fighters regain some glory.

Damn, Goten and Trunks need some kind of spin-off series. Shit would literally be Super-Sons meets HunterXHunter :lolxg:

Edited by Blue22, 15 February 2017 - 06:44 PM.

• JDG973 likes this

#439 tenchu

tenchu

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

only one of his arms has been training.

Edited by tenchu, 15 February 2017 - 07:24 PM.

• Blue22 likes this

24gvaiu.jpg

#440 Kamikazek

Kamikazek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Roshi's in the team because F sold gangbusters and he was on that team, because he's popular (though not as popular as Gotten and Trunks I don't think), and because Toriyama seems rather keen on him at the moment, maybe because Toriyama himself is getting old lol. I'm not expecting an in universe explanation, or at least not a good one, it's a behind the scenes decision sort of thing.

That said, in and of itself Roshi isn't a worthless choice. He's still potentially the most technically proficient martial artist in the whole cast, or at least has some of the best showings. He even has some techniques that work independent of strength, most notably hypnosis and the evil containment wave, or potential moves he might have that we've never seen before*, the guy is a veritable swiss army knife of techniques in DB. Also if the writers actually remember him, Tein, and Piccolo are all telepathic, which could potentially be useful for team co-ordination.

More importantly he is quite possibly the smartest person on the team (him or Piccolo, I'm not calling Gohan smart until he actually does something smart) and has BY FAR the best understanding of psychology. Roshi's primary role in the series has always been not a fighter but a master manipulator. In the F arc he gave Kurillen a pep talk mid battle that got Kurillen over his PTSD and into the fight. Having someone on the battlefield (remember these are team matches) who knows how to push his teammates buttons just right to get optimal performance out of them is potentially very useful when your team includes people like Gohan and Buu, and almost the entire rest of the team is completely clueless about that kind of stuff. Even stuff like getting conflicting team members to work well together *cough Goku and Vegeta* is the kind of thing Roshi excels at.

There's also my all time favorite Roshi moment back during the 22nd Budoukai where he gets Tein to turn his back on his master and rethink his lifestyle just by having a challenging conversation with him. No "prove me wrong by besting me in battle"; he just talks. I'd LOVE to see Roshi get a powerful member of an opposing team (like a 2nd in command type) to betray his own team by making him question his own ethics. Something like this-

"If our team wins, we will use the Super Dragon Balls to bring back the destroyed universes and everyone in them. If your team wins, your leader plans to use the Super DBs for selfish means, and condemn all those people to stay dead forever. Do you realize the gravity of that decision? Can you really live with all that blood on your hands?"

That's the kind of shit Roshi would pull in DB, and I'd love to see them make use of that aspect of the character.

Roshi has potential as a team member. On a team of ten freakn' fighters you have room to have one who's only there for morale and strategy, especially when two of your fighters are each going to have way more power than the entire rest of the team combined no matter who you pick. I'm just really not sure I trust the writing staff to take advantage of that potential. They have been pretty good about writing Roshi in particular so far though, so maybe there's a sliver of hope there. Kurillen and Tein are the hard sells for me. Unlike Roshi they really don't have much going for them outside of being fighters, and they are hilariously outclassed as fighters. I know this is about getting an allstar team of fan favorites to fight together rather than about making sense though, and I'm fine with that.

*On the subject, DBS has had a critical lack of new techniques for returning characters. What all have we gotten, Trunks's final hope slash? Is that is? Are you kidding me!?

• JDG973 and Goddess Nike like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users