• 2,783 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! rejoice.png

https://onemangaforums.com/reader/

The new manga reader for OMF is available for yall to look at! mynicca1.png

First off I want to give a shoutout to @Greg for giving me the opportunity to work on it, had a lot of fun :P. Also the thanks to the mod staff for the feedback. Second of all this reader isn't 100% complete yet (Like for example the Submit Page is empty, haven't decided how exactly that section of the site will work yet) but there was enough development to warrant showing you guys.

Now I'm just gonna go over some of the more interesting parts of the reader:

Home page

For now just shows the most recently updated manga chapters, and the most popular ones. Also an image slider for stuff like news and such.

Spoiler

Manga page and Manga search form

The manga shows the basic stuff like manga title, synopsis, authors etc along with the list of chapters. You're also able to rate said manga as well. The search form is pretty simple for now, allowing you to search for mangas based on basic criteria like release date, genres and so on

Spoiler

The reader

• The navigation menu at the top of the reader contains the standard chapter/page navigation items, and a small picture icon that displays the list of manga page thumbnails
  • When you click on the small picture icon in the navigation menu, the list of page thumbnails for that chapter slides out and is shown below. The current page is obviously highlighted. As you scroll downward, the navigation menu becomes a sticky menu and is displayed at the top of the screen, for easy access to the other chapters/pages.

Spoiler

And that's about it! 

And this is where you guys (the community) come into play. Feedback from the community is important, in order to determine how development should continue from here. What do you all think of the reader so far? What other features do you all want to have on the site? Any new sections? Add/remove certain functionality from the reader itself? With enough plausible ideas we can have a bit of a roadmap detailing how this reader is going to grow in the future, and hopefully this grows into something wonderful. I have a couple ideas of new stuff that can be implemented later, but I'd rather hear from you guys first :D

Right now the only thing I'm a bit nitpicky about is the logo on the site. lol it was the only OMF logo I could find, and as you can see it's pretty low res, and kinda bland if you ask me. I would like to suggest a forum contest to design a new logo (Or even improve on the old one, whatever works).

A new logo would look better than the current one on the reader site...and would help distinguish our reader from...well this one http://onemanga.com/. Seems like someone bought the old domain and put up a reader, old logo and all 5I5s8.png

Anyways, like I said, any feedback is appreciate and I look forward, to moving forward, with this reader aqDwC.png

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 20 March 2017 - 10:56 PM.

• Strawhats, Otaku-N., azer_moli and 16 others like this

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#2 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

fucking awesome joe.  this is going to bring people back for sure.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Zeando like this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#3 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Throwing this in another post because of the image limit:

Mobile/Tablet Responsiveness

So far the site is both mobile and tablet responsive. Below are some screen shots of the site as it would appear on your smartphone sass1.png

Spoiler

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 20 March 2017 - 11:04 PM.

• retroluffy13 and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#4 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

The new manga reader for OMF is available for yall to look at! http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

First off I want to give a shoutout to @Greg for giving me the opportunity to work on it, had a lot of fun :P. Also the thanks to the mod staff for the feedback. Second of all this reader isn't 100% complete yet (Like for example the Submit Page is empty, haven't decided how exactly that section of the site will work yet) but there was enough development to warrant showing you guys.

Home page

For now just shows the most recently updated manga chapters, and the most popular ones. Also an image slider for stuff like news and such.

The manga shows the basic stuff like manga title, synopsis, authors etc along with the list of chapters. You're also able to rate said manga as well. The search form is pretty simple for now, allowing you to search for mangas based on basic criteria like release date, genres and so on

The reader

• The navigation menu at the top of the reader contains the standard chapter/page navigation items, and a small picture icon that displays the list of manga page thumbnails
  • When you click on the small picture icon in the navigation menu, the list of page thumbnails for that chapter slides out and is shown below. The current page is obviously highlighted. As you scroll downward, the navigation menu becomes a sticky menu and is displayed at the top of the screen, for easy access to the other chapters/pages.

And that's about it! 

And this is where you guys (the community) come into play. Feedback from the community is important, in order to determine how development should continue from here. What do you all think of the reader so far? What other features do you all want to have on the site? Any new sections? Add/remove certain functionality from the reader itself? With enough plausible ideas we can have a bit of a roadmap detailing how this reader is going to grow in the future, and hopefully this grows into something wonderful. I have a couple ideas of new stuff that can be implemented later, but I'd rather hear from you guys first :D

Right now the only thing I'm a bit nitpicky about is the logo on the site. lol it was the only OMF logo I could find, and as you can see it's pretty low res, and kinda bland if you ask me. I would like to suggest a forum contest to design a new logo (Or even improve on the old one, whatever works).

A new logo would look better than the current one on the reader site...and would help distinguish our reader from...well this one http://onemanga.com/. Seems like someone bought the old domain and put up a reader, old logo and all http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Anyways, like I said, any feedback is appreciate and I look forward, to moving forward, with this reader http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

This looks really nice but I have one question....Is this mobile friendly? Because one thing a lot of reader websites nowadays have done is to make their websites mobile friendly

And also I have one little nitpick.....The plural of manga is manga so change "Popular Mangas" to Manga

Throwing this in another post because of the image limit:

Mobile/Tablet Responsiveness

So far the site is both mobile and tablet responsive. Below are some screen shots of the site as it would appear on your smartphone 

Looks like I spoke too soon lol....Nvm then xD

• ArSoNiSt JoE likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#5 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

This looks really nice but I have one question....Is this mobile friendly? Because one thing a lot of reader websites nowadays have done is to make their websites mobile friendly

And also I have one little nitpick.....The plural of manga is manga so change "Popular Mangas" to Manga

Of course! I posted the mobile version a post above yours mynicca1.png (Couldn't put it in the OP because of the image limit) 

And sure, I'll make the change  :)

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 20 March 2017 - 11:07 PM.

• Tokoya and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#6 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

The new manga reader for OMF is available for yall to look at! http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Home page

The reader

And that's about it! 

A new logo would look better than the current one on the reader site...and would help distinguish our reader from...well this one http://onemanga.com/. Seems like someone bought the old domain and put up a reader, old logo and all http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Anyways, like I said, any feedback is appreciate and I look forward, to moving forward, with this reader http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

if you want I can touch up the logo for ya dude.  maybe add forums to it.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Tokoya like this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#7 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Oh snap. This reader is fyah! Excellent work, my man.
  • ArSoNiSt JoE, Zeando and masterbio like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#8 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

User's Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

Of course! I posted the mobile version a post above yours http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe... (Couldn't put it in the OP because of the image limit) 

And sure, I'll make the change  :)

Alright everything seems to be in order.....Maybe the banner might need some touching up but Retro kindly offered to help with that so I think we're good in that department

Other than that, in regards to the ranking system.....Is it possible to somehow generate a top list of sorts based on the ratings of said series (I dunno if there's even like a automatic generator thing that can do that sort of thing) or better yet, a top list for each genre? 

I was also going to touch on maybe adding a comments section but I think having none would be better since we can promote discussions on here via threads instead

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#9 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

Very impressive, Joe! Well done. It seems to run smoothly from the bit I used. I'll try and give some more feedback later today.

#10 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Oh snap. This reader is fyah! Excellent work, my man.

This is only the beginning my friend, I got a lot more tech in the cut sass2.png **Looks at the source code in my Netbeans IDE** but I figured I'd show you guys what I have so far. mynicca1.png

• Tokoya, DarkNemesis and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#11 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Responsive, snappy, quick to load, and fresh design. You've outdone yourself. Very kindle-friendly. Seems like desktop view to me. But one request. Can we get a "view all pages" option (that scrolls down)?
  • ArSoNiSt JoE, Tokoya and Zeando like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#12 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

Alright everything seems to be in order.....Maybe the banner might need some touching up but Retro kindly offered to help with that so I think we're good in that department

Other than that, in regards to the ranking system.....Is it possible to somehow generate a top list of sorts based on the ratings of said series (I dunno if there's even like a automatic generator thing that can do that sort of thing) or better yet, a top list for each genre? 

I was also going to touch on maybe adding a comments section but I think having none would be better since we can promote discussions on here via threads instead

Regarding the blue...I can implement that in the manga search section, by adding on some more sorting/filtering criteria for the search results (Like sort by rating) So yeah it can be done mynicca1.png

As for the red I agree, a comment section would kinda take away from forum discussion. Like you said, we're better off just leaving that out and have folks just talk about manga on the forum.

• Tokoya and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#13 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

One more request... after I sign up, I'm getting a favorites/bookmark page right? That also indicates when a new chapter is up. Si?
  • ArSoNiSt JoE and Tokoya like this

Spoiler

#14 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

User's Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

I'm getting all gitty already just thinking about this revival lol.....I'm in a lot of anime/manga/comic book/video game/nerdy FB groups so I'll promote this as much as I can once you get this fully up and running Joe :kakashi:

EDIT: Oh yeah.....How do you feel about adding more manwha to the website? I think it would be a great idea to host some too 

Edited by Tokoya, 20 March 2017 - 11:26 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#15 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

Responsive, snappy, quick to load, and fresh design. You've outdone yourself. Very kindle-friendly. Seems like desktop view to me. But one request. Can we get a "view all pages" option (that scrolls down)?

Hm...I'm not too keen on that idea to be honest, mainly because this results in manga chapters with a ton of pages taking forever to load(Especially webtoons, that have long vertical pages), that's why I put in the thumbnail slider at the top. you can still peek at each page and pikc the one you want to see. Not to mention that "view all pages" would make the web page excessively long vertically imo

One more request... after I sign up, I'm getting a favorites/bookmark page right? That also indicates when a new chapter is up. Si?

Well the idea was just to notify you of chapter uploads (Which isn't functional at the moment). But that favourites/bookmark page is a great idea, I'm definitely taking note of that one :D

I'm getting all gitty already just thinking about this revival lol.....I'm in a lot of anime/manga/comic book/video game/nerdy FB groups so I'll promote this as much as I can once you get this fully up and running Joe :kakashi:

EDIT: Oh yeah.....How do you feel about adding more manwha to the website? I think it would be a great idea to host some too 

Hahah that's good to hear my man, that would be much appreciated mynicca1.png

And sure adding manwha would be great imo. But that isn't really up to me to decide  :)  (As far as I know, that's on Greg)

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 20 March 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• Tokoya and DarkNemesis like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#16 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

Hm...I'm not too keen on that idea to be honest, mainly because this results in manga chapters with a ton of pages taking forever to load(Especially webtoons, that have long vertical pages), that's why I put in the thumbnail slider at the top. you can still peek at each page and pikc the one you want to see. Not to mention that "view all pages" would make the web page excessively long vertically imo

Webdev gem: infinite scrolling (seriously, Google it). I might be in the minority here, but I like being able to read without having to hit next page. At least, keep the request as a wish list item, pls.

Spoiler

#17 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

Webdev gem: infinite scrolling (seriously, Google it). I might be in the minority here, but I like being able to read without having to hit next page. At least, keep the request as a wish list item, pls.

Ohhh that's what you meant. I know about infinite scrolling :D (If there were more mangas on the current version of the reader you would've noticed it in the search page for the search results) But yeah now that you mention it it seems more appealing. Will take note of that too  :D

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 20 March 2017 - 11:52 PM.

• DarkNemesis and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#18 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:33 AM

onemanga_1_by_retro130-db31d3u.png

onemanga_2_by_retro130-db31d3w.png

onemanga_by_retro130-db31d3z.png

thoughts?  concerns?  preference?

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#19 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:02 AM

looks great (maybe too phone-y but it's fine)

"What do you all think of the reader so far?"

it giggles a lot :P

for test purposes, can a serie have 2 chapters? to see how it works when the reader moves from the end of a chapter to the start of the next chapter?

found it 

reader: having an [end] page, once the last page of the past chapter is reached could be handy, since it feels a bit odd clicking and not seeing anything moving once you're on the last page

recent updates & popular mangas: showing more titles into the same space would be good, my screen is currently 1366x768 (laptop) and i can see only 4 titles in the whole page, if the serie covers were smaller more would be visible in a single page

if for example the covers were half their current size, 16 titles could fit into a single page, 2 rows of 8 titles each

search form: adding the ability to "exclude" genres would be good too (but it would need a rework of the search logic :u)

awesome news anyway, i was about to like the first post twice :lol:

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#20 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,775 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:10 AM

Awesome; thanks for posting Joe!

One thing to note- the little pieces of manga up there right now are samples; the project as it becomes a real thing is for hosting original manga.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users