#21 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

other feedback:
search form: keeping the author and the artist split may create confusion, it would look simpler if there was a single text box for both
and eventually, highlight on the results if the searched person was an artist or the story author for that manga
Spoiler something like this

Other than that, in regards to the ranking system.....Is it possible to somehow generate a top list of sorts based on the ratings of said series (I dunno if there's even like a automatic generator thing that can do that sort of thing) or better yet, a top list for each genre?

second this, and also maybe a ranking based on views, but it would need to keep track of the number of times a manga was read first

I was also going to touch on maybe adding a comments section but I think having none would be better since we can promote discussions on here via threads instead

agree, many sites have now the Discuss integration, but a link to the forum would be more fit in our case (or nothing at all, there is already a link to the forum at the top, no need to force people)

One thing to note- the little pieces of manga up there right now are samples; the project as it becomes a real thing is for hosting original manga.

what about manwha and japanese web comics?

Edited by Zeando, 21 March 2017 - 05:28 AM.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Tokoya like this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#22 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,784 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

If the copyright holder wants it up, it's allowed. 

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Zeando like this

#23 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

looks great (maybe too phone-y but it's fine)

"What do you all think of the reader so far?"

it giggles a lot :P

for test purposes, can a serie have 2 chapters? to see how it works when the reader moves from the end of a chapter to the start of the next chapter?

found it 

reader: having an [end] page, once the last page of the past chapter is reached could be handy, since it feels a bit odd clicking and not seeing anything moving once you're on the last page

recent updates & popular mangas: showing more titles into the same space would be good, my screen is currently 1366x768 (laptop) and i can see only 4 titles in the whole page, if the serie covers were smaller more would be visible in a single page

if for example the covers were half their current size, 16 titles could fit into a single page, 2 rows of 8 titles each

search form: adding the ability to "exclude" genres would be good too (but it would need a rework of the search logic :u)

awesome news anyway, i was about to like the first post twice :lol:

I mean I thought it was fine, but if someone showed me the font, I could make it look legit.

as it is now though, forum stand out.  which is good for artistic/making it stand out purposes.

Edited by retroluffy13, 21 March 2017 - 06:33 AM.

• ArSoNiSt JoE likes this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#24 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

you know what?  fuck it.  new reader.  new font.  I'm redesigning this shit.

Edited by retroluffy13, 21 March 2017 - 07:16 AM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#25 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

So you brought back that thing y'all used to have like with manga stream? Cool. Cool cool cool.
  • ArSoNiSt JoE and masterbio like this

#26 Baka-Dynasty

Baka-Dynasty

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationTo infinity and beyond

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Let me start by giving you a big props, you killed it. Btw i coudnt help but notice the 5 stars rating, For the future are you gonna be the one to rate everything ? Or is there gonna be an option for us to rate them.

For the actual reader would it be possible to have an option that lets me use the arrow keys to go to the next or previous page ?

Some more taggs can be added as well the more tagg the better the search things like : 

-Oneshot

-Completed

-4koma

-Reincarnation/Reborn

thats about it i dont have anything else to add.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Zeando like this

!Banana head fart man !

Selena_gomez_sig_by_litlemusa.jpg

*Knowledge can never replace friendship, i prefer to be an idiot*

Come check out my video room thread :3

http://onemangaforum...z-video-room-3/

Spoiler

#27 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

So you brought back that thing y'all used to have like with manga stream? Cool. Cool cool cool.

well it was called one manga.  lol manga stream showed up around the time this one went down.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#28 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

キターーー(゜∀゜)ーーーー!!!!!!

Holy shit fucking props Joe

2017 is a renaissance year, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#29 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

onemanga_by_retro130-db323en.png

one.

onemanga1_by_retro130-db323eq.png

two

onemanga2_by_retro130-db323eu.png

three

@Zeando

@ArsonistJoe

am I cool yet?

hand traced for that unique line

Edited by retroluffy13, 21 March 2017 - 10:37 AM.

• Otaku-N. and ArSoNiSt JoE like this

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#30 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

@ArSoNiSt JoE - Are you planning an app for this (much further in the future) or keeping it strictly mobile? Just curious.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#31 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback folks, a lot of good suggestions were given too mynicca1.png Just want to point out that during the week (Prob until Saturday) I'll be taking note of all the suggestions in this thread and compiling a list of stuff to work on for the next month or two.

http://pre15.deviantart.net/20c3/th/pre/...
http://pre15.deviantart.net/9b95/th/pre/...
http://pre10.deviantart.net/a66e/th/pre/...

thoughts?  concerns?  preference?

http://pre00.deviantart.net/c549/th/pre/...
one.

http://pre06.deviantart.net/1845/th/pre/...
two

http://pre14.deviantart.net/5be8/th/pre/...
three

@Zeando

@ArsonistJoe

am I cool yet?

hand traced for that unique line

These are nice, but imo we could probably use a new design altogether. Maybe you could just try the forum name using a different font?  :)

Another suggestion I have in general would be a new icon as well, like maybe a flattened version of the uglypuff logo? All that could be part of a forum art contest as well. It would be a good way to get the community involved with the reader.  :D

looks great (maybe too phone-y but it's fine)

"What do you all think of the reader so far?"
it giggles a lot :P

for test purposes, can a serie have 2 chapters? to see how it works when the reader moves from the end of a chapter to the start of the next chapter?
found it 

reader: having an [end] page, once the last page of the past chapter is reached could be handy, since it feels a bit odd clicking and not seeing anything moving once you're on the last page

recent updates & popular mangas: showing more titles into the same space would be good, my screen is currently 1366x768 (laptop) and i can see only 4 titles in the whole page, if the serie covers were smaller more would be visible in a single page
if for example the covers were half their current size, 16 titles could fit into a single page, 2 rows of 8 titles each

search form: adding the ability to "exclude" genres would be good too (but it would need a rework of the search logic :u)

awesome news anyway, i was about to like the first post twice :lol:

Right right, will most def take note of the bolded, great suggestions/observations. As for the blue hmmm I see where you're coming from, but making the titles smaller would make the cover pages a bit harder to see (You know when the image is scaled down to fit, it affect quality) plus having too may titles on the page could make things a bit too cluttered. So I thought that having 8 items at most for each section was good middle ground. But I'll take what you said into consideration.

And haha glad you liked it sir, feel free to post up any other ideas/criticisms you have  :)

other feedback:
search form: keeping the author and the artist split may create confusion, it would look simpler if there was a single text box for both
and eventually, highlight on the results if the searched person was an artist or the story author for that manga

second this, and also maybe a ranking based on views, but it would need to keep track of the number of times a manga was read first

agree, many sites have now the Discuss integration, but a link to the forum would be more fit in our case (or nothing at all, there is already a link to the forum at the top, no need to force people)

Search form: Hm would it? I mean most manga sites usually have artists and authors separate anyway, seeing that the artist and author aren't always the same person. But I see where you're coming from, I guess having one field that accept either the author or artist name would come in handy for folks that might just know the name, but not if the name refers to the artist or author. Good idea, will def consider this as well.

As for the search results, those are good suggestions, especially when it comes to displaying the relevant search terms in the search results. Not sure if I'd need to specify the search terms again though, they would be visible in the form already when you do the search. (The categories would still be checked off, the text would still be in the text fields and so on)

Let me start by giving you a big props, you killed it. Btw i coudnt help but notice the 5 stars rating, For the future are you gonna be the one to rate everything ? Or is there gonna be an option for us to rate them.

For the actual reader would it be possible to have an option that lets me use the arrow keys to go to the next or previous page ?

Some more taggs can be added as well the more tagg the better the search things like : 

-Oneshot
-Completed
-4koma
-Reincarnation/Reborn

thats about it i dont have anything else to add.

Regarding the bolded yes I will add in all of the standard key bindings for navigation buttons and search buttons (arrows for the nav arrows and pressing enter for the action buttons)

As for the tags, well if you look in the search form there is already a field for Complete/Ongoing mangas it's right next to the release year field (it's "Any Status" by default)

Sure I'll throw in the other categories. Noted.

And it's alright, thanks for your input :D

@ArSoNiSt JoE - Are you planning an app for this (much further in the future) or keeping it strictly mobile? Just curious.

I would be up to doing an app for sure, be it a manga reader app or just an app to notify you of chapter updates and takes you to the site. It's definitely something I was considering, but I'd rather see how the website turns out first before I even begin to design the app. And then there's the need for Greg's blessing as well :D

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#32 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback folks, a lot of good suggestions were given too http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe... Just want to point out that during the week (Prob until Saturday) I'll be taking note of all the suggestions in this thread and compiling a list of stuff to work on for the next month or two.

These are nice, but imo we could probably use a new design altogether. Maybe you could just try the forum name using a different font?  :)

Another suggestion I have in general would be a new icon as well, like maybe a flattened version of the uglypuff logo? All that could be part of a forum art contest as well. It would be a good way to get the community involved with the reader.  :D

Right right, will most def take note of the bolded, great suggestions/observations. As for the blue hmmm I see where you're coming from, but making the titles smaller would make the cover pages a bit harder to see (You know when the image is scaled down to fit, it affect quality) plus having too may titles on the page could make things a bit too cluttered. So I thought that having 8 items at most for each section was good middle ground. But I'll take what you said into consideration.

And haha glad you liked it sir, feel free to post up any other ideas/criticisms you have  :)

Search form: Hm would it? I mean most manga sites usually have artists and authors separate anyway, seeing that the artist and author aren't always the same person. But I see where you're coming from, I guess having one field that accept either the author or artist name would come in handy for folks that might just know the name, but not if the name refers to the artist or author. Good idea, will def consider this as well.

As for the search results, those are good suggestions, especially when it comes to displaying the relevant search terms in the search results. Not sure if I'd need to specify the search terms again though, they would be visible in the form already when you do the search. (The categories would still be checked off, the text would still be in the text fields and so on)

Regarding the bolded yes I will add in all of the standard key bindings for navigation buttons and search buttons (arrows for the nav arrows and pressing enter for the action buttons)

As for the tags, well if you look in the search form there is already a field for Complete/Ongoing mangas it's right next to the release year field (it's "Any Status" by default)

Sure I'll throw in the other categories. Noted.

And it's alright, thanks for your input :D

I would be up to doing an app for sure, be it a manga reader app or just an app to notify you of chapter updates and takes you to the site. It's definitely something I was considering, but I'd rather see how the website turns out first before I even begin to design the app. And then there's the need for Greg's blessing as well :D

on it

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#33 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

@Greg @ArSoNiSt JoE - can this site and the reader site do some sort of "one login sign in"? It would be nice that once I login in one site that the other site just automatically works/signs me in.

• Zeando likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#34 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

@Greg @ArSoNiSt JoE - can this site and the reader site do some sort of "one login sign in"? It would be nice that once I login in one site that the other site just automatically works/signs me in.

If I recall correctly Greg mentioned integrating the reader with with the forum as being the end goal. I even offered to learn this forum's software framework so that I could try to pull it off (Among other things), but Greg is considering moving the forum to another forum software setup. So the integration might not happen for a while as far as I know.

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#35 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

If I recall correctly Greg mentioned integrating the reader with with the forum as being the end goal. I even offered to learn this forum's software framework so that I could try to pull it off (Among other things), but Greg is considering moving the forum to another forum software setup. So the integration might not happen for a while as far as I know.

well In the meantime, would there maybe be a way to make a "login with your omf" function like they do for facebook or twitter?  so that one login is "technically" all you need even though you have two?

thoughts?

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#36 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

well In the meantime, would there maybe be a way to make a "login with your omf" function like they do for facebook or twitter?  so that one login is "technically" all you need even though you have two?

Well that ties back into what I mentioned before regarding Greg moving the forum to another platform. I'd still need to know how the forum software verifies user login info. I'd have to communicate with the forum software at some point programmatically. So if I implement that feature now and then Greg moves onto another platform, I'd have to learn how to do again using the new platform and I'd have to rewrite code again, which would suck :D

hence why we're better off holding off on that feature for now, until the forum itself has a more long term home ^ ^

• retroluffy13 and Zeando like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#37 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

The first post is the "thoughts" for the my post. :)

If @Greg is changing forums, then waiting may be the best and/or cleanest solution for this. Though, I don't know if JoE made the reader site from scratch from a framework. If from a framework, then maybe a plug-in for both sites could allow one login sign-in (or whatever the technical term for it is). I think this forum software has such a thing. But it might cost dough. So :shrug:

Spoiler

#38 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

@ArSoNiSt JoE
"plus having too may titles on the page could make things a bit too cluttered."
that's true, but at the same time only 4 are too few
agree 8 may be a good middle ground

about quality, see kissmanga for reference
http://kissmanga.com/
they show 5, but you can easily scroll them for more

"Hm would it? I mean most manga sites usually have artists and authors separate anyway, seeing that the artist and author aren't always the same person."

my point was from the user point of view, not always you know in advance if the person searched was an author or an artist,

and having the search boxes separed would also split the results, in the case a person was sometimes only an author and other times only an artist

while if you search for a person, you would expect to see as results anything that person was involved into, not only the mangas where they were an author while leaving aside the ones where he was only an artist (or the other way around)

"But I see where you're coming from, I guess having one field that accept either the author or artist name would come in handy for folks that might just know the name, but not if the name refers to the artist or author."

exactly, anything which prevents mistakes user-side is a good design

Edited by Zeando, 21 March 2017 - 03:16 PM.

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#39 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

The first post is the "thoughts" for the my post. :)

If @Greg is changing forums, then waiting may be the best and/or cleanest solution for this. Though, I don't know if JoE made the reader site from scratch from a framework. If from a framework, then maybe a plug-in for both sites could allow one login sign-in (or whatever the technical term for it is). I think this forum software has such a thing. But it might cost dough. So :shrug:

Made it from scratch...the easiest way to pull off a fresh/unique design without pulling my hair out (customizing pre-made themes, especially the layout, is a pain trust me tocry.png

I'd like to think that the forum software api allows for developers to write plugins that allow you to login in programmatically or at the very least verify user login info. I'd have to look into it though.

• Zeando likes this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#40 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

^wonder how the chat connects to the forum logins, isn't the chat a plug-in too? (or an extension not originally part of the forum)

it can't be fetching the nicknames from the cookies since that info isn't in there, only the user id  (but doubt it would be secure anyway, to rely solely on cookies without a confirmation/verification from the forum itself :u)

Edited by Zeando, 21 March 2017 - 03:25 PM.

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users