Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

@ArSoNiSt JoE
"plus having too may titles on the page could make things a bit too cluttered."
that's true, but at the same time only 4 are too few
agree 8 may be a good middle ground

about quality, see kissanime for reference
http://kissmanga.com/
they show 5, but you can easily scroll them for more

Well as I mentioned as more content gets put on the site, you will see a lot more than 4 at a time I'm sure. Regarding kissmanga, well I tried to get away from the squishy layout that most manga sites use (trying to fit everything into a 1000px wide content frame) hence why I gave the site a lot more breathing room with 1200 px and with larger tiles for the mangas and so on.

but tell you what, I'll mess around with the sizes of the manga titles and so on and see if I can find some dimensions that work, so that more items can fit without cluttering things up. 

"Hm would it? I mean most manga sites usually have artists and authors separate anyway, seeing that the artist and author aren't always the same person."
my point was from the user point of view, not always you know in advance if the person searched was an author or an artist,

and having the search boxes separed would also split the results, in the case a person was sometimes only an author and other times only an artist
while if you search for a person, you would expect to see as results anything that person was involved into, not only the mangas where they were an author while leaving aside the ones where he was only an artist (or the other way around)

"But I see where you're coming from, I guess having one field that accept either the author or artist name would come in handy for folks that might just know the name, but not if the name refers to the artist or author."
exactly, anything which prevents mistakes user-side is a good design

All great points :D

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#42 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,779 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

My plan is to move to Discourse, but this is a somewhat long term goal/will require a good amount of work and time from me. When we do that move, we'll set up a bridge so we get SSO.

The CB's login integration is a lot simpler than this would be.

• ArSoNiSt JoE likes this

#43 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

My plan is to move to Discourse, but this is a somewhat long term goal/will require a good amount of work and time from me. When we do that move, we'll set up a bridge so we get SSO.

The CB's login integration is a lot simpler than this would be.

I don't know what CB means, but IPB has SSO. It should be an option or plug-in add-on. But again, I don't know if that's free or money or crazy configuration work that may break something.

So wait we shall. I'm just excited for the new reader.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#44 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

@ArSoNiSt JoE

kk so I got kinda lazy, but it worked out pretty well I say.

two designs, but one fits much better with your color scheme.

onemanga_by_retro130-db337sc.png

onemanga1_by_retro130-db337t0.png

gained a few new tricks on this one.

I like the rusty lookin one better.

Edited by retroluffy13, 21 March 2017 - 04:23 PM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#45 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

@DarkNemesis CB should be the chatbox

more feedback:
the button Browse: the name "browse" makes me think about a manga list, a page where i can easily see most, if not all, the series hosted on the reader
while instead the "Browse" link leads to what usually is the "Search" page (some readers have a quick-search input box in the front page too)

it looks like you were trying to use the search page as also a complete manga list, but if you think it up as having 100+ series hosted, it would become hard to "browse" them all with their current thumbnails size

Spoiler this is how many series i can see on my screen

a lot of scrolling would be needed, if there were many more than 8 series

My plan is to move to Discourse, but this is a somewhat long term goal/will require a good amount of work and time from me.

Discourse? :devastated::devastated:  i've just connected what that is..
https://try.discourse.org/
i had already see it being used on an other forum, it gave the impression threads would become buried very fast, and it looked dispersive
it also seemed to be very heavy to load on browsers, it also looks poor of infos on-page, and it wastes a lot of space with unused white-space while at the same time managing to still look cluttered

the trial forum of discourse (which is the same as the other forum i'd seen) looks like having a whole forum being organized as the semi-pro forum... which looks like a mess, you can't mix together so many different topics and hope to be able to follow what is going on... or hope to make a more detailed thread, about a specific matter, and not seeing it vanish instantly under the other major threads

but maybe your end-goal version will resemble more a forum

Edited by Zeando, 21 March 2017 - 05:31 PM.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and DarkNemesis like this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#46 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

four more. but ill spare you all and use spoiler tags

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#47 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Discourse? :devastated::devastated: i've just connected what that is..
https://try.discourse.org/

Honestly. Ick. I'm not feeling that. That looks like a major CSS project. Maybe we need a different thread to discuss that (oy).

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#48 Greg

Greg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,779 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

I'm not concerned about the appearance so much as I am about the internals, which are relatively the best on the market (not saying much these days). You can make the category view the default (which is more forum like/not the jumble of threads) and then style it to look more traditional.

#49 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,077 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Awesome; thanks for posting Joe!

One thing to note- the little pieces of manga up there right now are samples; the project as it becomes a real thing is for hosting original manga.

Oh, so basically its it's strictly going to be just things like what @Grimmjagger is trying to do then?

• Grimmjagger likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#50 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

four more. but ill spare you all and use spoiler tags

Finally

#51 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Finally

so salty chill

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#52 ANewLight

ANewLight

Hokage

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationWherever I'm Needed.

User's Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Spoiler

First early attempt at a Stylish Green and Black theme.

• Otaku-N., ArSoNiSt JoE, retroluffy13 and 3 others like this

#53 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

Time machine back to 2007-2008 LOL

I love it. I think it's the best I have experienced. I don't like some of the color but that's personal preference. As far as how easy and smooth to use it's excellent. I would love to have a ''view all page'' option though, but if high page view is desired for whatever reason (ad, in the future) then I don't mind, haha.

May be biased a bit due to nostalgia and well, it's our OMF :P

The idea to host only original manga is nice. It will be a long way but if it can become something like LINE webtoon then awesome. I don't mind having a second Kubera in my life :lol:

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#54 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

ALL ABOARD THE FEELS TRAIN!

This is amazing. Having OM back really brings me back to when I started reading manga. Put FMA in there and I'll cry like a girl.

Also, just my opinion, I was really attached to the old OM logo *.* feels good to see it once again

#55 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

onemanga_by_retro130-db35pll.pngFinally.  we have a winner

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#56 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

It will be a long way but if it can become something like LINE webtoon then awesome.

That's a completely different can of worms that I made a point of not asking. :) But that would be nice... some day.

Spoiler

#57 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

That's a completely different can of worms that I made a point of not asking. :) But that would be nice... some day.

Eh, why can of worms?

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#58 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Eh, why can of worms?

Revenue, marketing, ads, non-compete agreements. Complicated stuff.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 22 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Spoiler

#59 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

Alright so I went back through the thread and took note of all of the suggestions made through the thread and compiled a list:

- Add sorting option for manga search (Sort by rating,name etc in either ascending or 

descending order)

- Add on new display modes for the reader itself (Like allowing the user to view all pages 

instead of navigating through each page one by one)

- Add a favourites/bookmark page. Also allow users to mark a manga as a favourite and not 

just rate them.

- Add the ability to exclude mangas based on genres

- Add visual cues to the navigation buttons on the reader to indicate when the last page 

of a chapter has been reached.

- Adjust size of manga titles displayed in order to fit more items onto a page

- Add on the appropriate key bindings to navigation buttons and search button(left arrow 

to go to the previous page/right arrow to go to the next page/enter to perform search, 

etc)

- Unify the "Author" and "Artist" search fields into one.

- Add on the following genres to the search form:
Oneshot
4koma
Reincarnation/Reborn

- Change the menu item "Browse" to "Search"
- Correct plural labels from Mangas to Manga (lol how could I mess that one up? How embarassing...)

So yeah I pretty much included all of them in my to do list to be honest haha. If I missed anything or if you guys have anything to add, feel free to say so mynicca1.png

• Fulmine, Zeando and Grimmjagger like this

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#60 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

So yeah I pretty much included all of them in my to do list to be honest haha. If I missed anything or if you guys have anything to add, feel free to say so

i'll take you up to your offer :lol:

about the reader option to show "all pages"
wonder how it would look if the same "seamless loading" was used to load more pages as you scroll down (avoiding then to load all the pages at once, or also avoiding to accidentally spoil oneself as you scroll too much down)

"Add the ability to exclude mangas in the search form based on genres"
for clarity

Add on the following genres to the search form:
Oneshot
4koma

Reincarnation/Reborn

the first 2:  Oneshot and 4koma aren't really genres, they don't describe a trait of the story

Oneshot could be added in the Status category, together with Ongoing and Complete

4Koma is more about the format :/ it isn't a genre but it isn't also a status :/ maybe it could be added to a new category of "Types", types should define the format

on mangaupdates they sort these types: "Artbook", "Doujinshi"(=Original Japanese), "Drama CD", "Manga", "Manhwa"(=korean), "Manhua"(=chinese), "Thai", "Indonesian", "Novel", "OEL"(=Original English-language)

the reader should host mostly webcomics, manhwa, and original works in the end?

if we want to add in the search also the types (and add them to the manga page too) we could reuse the types from mangaupdates, and rename or keep only the most relevant, for example:

Types: Manga, Manhwa, Manhua, 4koma, Artbook, Webcomic, Doujinshi, Original English

eventually also the following, if they'll be supported by the reader: Novel, Drama CD (supporting CD sounds hard :lolxg: that type is more useful for listing sites, not for readers)

leave the following out(?): "Thai", "Indonesian" (even on mangaupdates they are less than 50)

eventually the types can be mixed together with the genres (like kissmanga does), personally i think they are about different things so they should be kept apart, but we are already used to have "story genres" mixed with "demographics" (shounen, seinen, shoujo, etc) so maybe mixing in "types" too is the next step :shrug:

new feedback

search logic: i've just noticed when you search by year, it lists as results all the mangas which "started" on that year, which is very restrictive

usually year searches work using ranges, with a starting year and an ending year, to get all the mangas inside the range

the current year search is basically searching inside a range wide only 1 year

but year search in general is a very niche search option, it should be rarely used (i guess?), seeing as some searches on other sites don't even bother to allow to search by year

mangaupdates and kissmanga don't bother, myanimelist and mangafox has it as option,

myanimelist by range(start, end date)

mangafox by "on, before, after" (<-- this one looks like a good idea, it's simpler than having to pick 2 dates/years)

but again, year search may not be used very often, so maybe it could even be removed to leave room for more search options, or just to make the search form look simpler (kissmanga went for simplicity it seems, the listing sites usually go for completeness instead)

usually sites have a simple search, and then an advanced search form, the year option could go into the advanced search options?

I'm not concerned about the appearance so much as I am about the internals, which are relatively the best on the market (not saying much these days). You can make the category view the default (which is more forum like/not the jumble of threads) and then style it to look more traditional.

default for any visitor?  if so, that's reassuring

i've looked a bit into their faq-s, does discourse support nested "forums"="categories"?

but this is probably best to talk in an other thread

Edited by Zeando, 23 March 2017 - 09:54 AM.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Grimmjagger like this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users