77 replies to this topic

#61 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Alright so I went back through the thread and took note of all of the suggestions made through the thread and compiled a list:

So yeah I pretty much included all of them in my to do list to be honest haha. If I missed anything or if you guys have anything to add, feel free to say so http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Don't forget "New Upload/Chapter" indicators on the front page and favorites page.
  • ArSoNiSt JoE likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#62 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

i'll take you up to your offer :lol:

about the reader option to show "all pages"
wonder how it would look if the same "seamless loading" was used to load more pages as you scroll down (avoiding then to load all the pages at once, or also avoiding to accidentally spoil oneself as you scroll too much down)

That was how I had intended to implement it. Use infinite scrolling to load the pages as you scroll down :D

"Add the ability to exclude mangas in the search form based on genres"
for clarity

the first 2:  Oneshot and 4koma aren't really genres, they don't describe a trait of the story

Oneshot could be added in the Status category, together with Ongoing and Complete
4Koma is more about the format :/ it isn't a genre but it isn't also a status :/ maybe it could be added to a new category of "Types", types should define the format

on mangaupdates they sort these types: "Artbook", "Doujinshi"(=Original Japanese), "Drama CD", "Manga", "Manhwa"(=korean), "Manhua"(=chinese), "Thai", "Indonesian", "Novel", "OEL"(=Original English-language)
the reader should host mostly webcomics, manhwa, and original works in the end?
if we want to add in the search also the types (and add them to the manga page too) we could reuse the types from mangaupdates, and rename or keep only the most relevant, for example:

Types: Manga, Manhwa, Manhua, 4koma, Artbook, Webcomic, Doujinshi, Original English
eventually also the following, if they'll be supported by the reader: Novel, Drama CD (supporting CD sounds hard :lolxg: that type is more useful for listing sites, not for readers)
leave the following out(?): "Thai", "Indonesian" (even on mangaupdates they are less than 50)

eventually the types can be mixed together with the genres (like kissmanga does), personally i think they are about different things so they should be kept apart, but we are already used to have "story genres" mixed with "demographics" (shounen, seinen, shoujo, etc) so maybe mixing in "types" too is the next step :shrug:

Well based on what you outlined here I think it would be a better idea to include a "Types" field as a dropdown list with the types you listed out there. I agree with keeping the types and genres apart

new feedback
search logic: i've just noticed when you search by year, it lists as results all the mangas which "started" on that year, which is very restrictive
usually year searches work using ranges, with a starting year and an ending year, to get all the mangas inside the range
the current year search is basically searching inside a range wide only 1 year

but year search in general is a very niche search option, it should be rarely used (i guess?), seeing as some searches on other sites don't even bother to allow to search by year
mangaupdates and kissmanga don't bother, myanimelist and mangafox has it as option,
myanimelist by range(start, end date)
mangafox by "on, before, after" (<-- this one looks like a good idea, it's simpler than having to pick 2 dates/years)

but again, year search may not be used very often, so maybe it could even be removed to leave room for more search options, or just to make the search form look simpler (kissmanga went for simplicity it seems, the listing sites usually go for completeness instead)

usually sites have a simple search, and then an advanced search form, the year option could go into the advanced search options?

Well taking all that you have pointed out here into consideration, I agree that maybe there should be an advanced search form, for more specific search criteria. So I'll add this to the list of things to do as well

• Zeando likes this

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#63 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Have any new posters wandered in?

Maybe I should go spread the word at Narutofan forum

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

HUSBANDOS :wub:  

#64 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

what for? the reader isn't fully working yet, it's still being worked on

unless you mean, to let the creators of original mangas know about it, so they'll come upload their works as soon as the reader is fully working?

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#65 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

They not ready yet. They'll just be wandering to nothing really.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#66 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Nah as said before, it's not ready yet. We're not Capcom breh, not gonna put out an unfinished product and get backlash  :lol:

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 24 March 2017 - 01:18 PM.

• Otaku-N., DarkNemesis, retroluffy13 and 2 others like this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#67 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Alright just updated the list of improvements to be made:

- Add sorting option for manga search (Sort by rating,name etc in either ascending or descending order)

- Add on new display modes for the reader itself (Like allowing the user to view all pages

instead of navigating through each page one by one)

- Add a favorites/bookmark page. Also allow users to mark a manga as a favorite and not just rate them.

- Add the ability to exclude mangas based on genres

- Add visual cues to the navigation buttons on the reader to indicate when the last page of a chapter has been reached.

- Adjust size of manga titles displayed in order to fit more items onto a page

- Add on the appropriate key bindings to navigation buttons and search button(left arrow to go to the previous page/right arrow to go to the next page/enter to perform search, etc)

- Unify the "Author" and "Artist" search fields into one.

- Add a "Types" field to the manga search form; to include the following types: Manga, Manhwa, Manhua, 4koma, Artbook, Webcomic, Doujinshi, Original English

-Add "Oneshot" to list of statuses in the "Status" search field
- Change the menu item "Browse" to "Search"

- Correct plural labels from Mangas to Manga (lol how could I mess that one up? How embarassing...)

-Split up the manga search form into two parts, "Basic Search" and an optional "Advanced Search" for more specific searches.

I guess this is a good enough list to move forward with. Of course if anyone else has any ideas feel free to post them, but for the most part the above will be focused on for the next few months. So guess I'll see yall at the next build of the reader mynicca1.png

Don't forget "New Upload/Chapter" indicators on the front page and favorites page.

Hm, could you clarify this? Because right now on the home page you do see the most recently updated chapters; this covers brand new uploads as well.

Edited by ArSoNiSt JoE, 23 July 2017 - 05:58 PM.

• Zeando likes this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#68 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hm, could you clarify this?

Absolutely.

Because right now on the home page you do see the most recently updated chapters; this covers brand new uploads as well.

You're right. I meant on the favorites/bookmarks page. I don't know how you're gonna do it, but if it's just a text list of mangas you can have a little icon or graphic next to the name indicating that a new chapter has been uploaded.
  • ArSoNiSt JoE and Zeando like this

Spoiler

#69 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Alright just updated the list of improvements to be made:

I guess this is a good enough list to move forward with. Of course if anyone else has any ideas feel free to post them, but for the most part the above will be focused on for the next month. So guess I'll see yall at the next build of the reader http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...

Hm, could you clarify this? Because right now on the home page you do see the most recently updated chapters; this covers brand new uploads as well.

so I noticed a dojinshi section added to your catagories list.  might have to take you up on that sir.

Edited by retroluffy13, 24 March 2017 - 08:46 PM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#70 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Absolutely.

You're right. I meant on the favorites/bookmarks page. I don't know how you're gonna do it, but if it's just a text list of mangas you can have a little icon or graphic next to the name indicating that a new chapter has been uploaded.

Ahhh I see what you mean. I think I know of a few ways to pull it off, a feature like that would be great indeed. I'll throw that into the list then.

But just to be clear, the favorites page will:

- Show a list of the manga that you have faved

- Indicate which mangas have been updated recently

I'll make the favorites page available to all users and see how that goes.

so I noticed a dojinshi section added to your catagories list.  might have to take you up on that sir.

What do you mean?

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#71 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

Ahhh I see what you mean. I think I know of a few ways to pull it off, a feature like that would be great indeed. I'll throw that into the list then.

- Indicate which mangas have been updated recently

What do you mean?

I'm writing a doujinshi for dragonball.  i mean... my art sucks, and I am attempting to make it better, so maybe not for a while.  whichc coupled with gregs statement on copyright makes me hesitant.  but eventually, when my art is up to snuff, id like to use your submit feature.

and while i was hesitant to mention it just for the sake of premoting myself, doujinshi ARE perfectly legal by japenese standards so... id like to give it a shot....

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#72 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

- Indicate which of those mangas have been updated recently

Yep!

Sweet! Wait. I'm not parsing that correctly. You mean you'll show a preview so everyone can see. Then you'll make it so each registered user has their own favorites page. I don't mean to be pedantic, I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 24 March 2017 - 09:44 PM.

Spoiler

#73 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Sweet! Wait. I'm not parsing that correctly. You mean you'll show a preview so everyone can see. Then you'll make it so each registered user has their own favorites page. I don't mean to be pedantic, I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you.

Oh no problem, I had a feeling I might not have been clear. Sure eventually registered users will have their own favorites page. I think that this goes back to the whole forum/reader integration thing though.

Beyond email notifications for chapter updates, I don't see the need for the reader itself to have user accounts on it. In the long term the forum and reader will be integrated, so any users can just register on the forum to gain access to any other special parts of the reader that we come up with. Plus this would encourage folks to join the forum.

So for now I'll have the favorites page open to the public and eventually restricted to forum members only, at least that's what I had in mind.

I'm writing a doujinshi for dragonball.  i mean... my art sucks, and I am attempting to make it better, so maybe not for a while.  whichc coupled with gregs statement on copyright makes me hesitant.  but eventually, when my art is up to snuff, id like to use your submit feature.

and while i was hesitant to mention it just for the sake of premoting myself, doujinshi ARE perfectly legal by japenese standards so... id like to give it a shot....

Right right. Well hey keep at it bro, would be cool to feature one of OMF's very own on the front page of the reader mynicca1.png

• retroluffy13 likes this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#74 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:18 AM

Sure eventually registered users will have their own favorites page. I think that this goes back to the whole forum/reader integration thing though.

So for now I'll have the favorites page open to the public and eventually restricted to forum members only, at least that's what I had in mind.

would it be possible for an user to look at the favorite page of an other user? (like it is on myanimelist about lists? myanimelist uses simple links which just need the username)

that would be a nice feature, people love to share their stuff 

(or also add an option to keep the favorites page hidden or public, dunno what would be best as default, maybe public as default would be better)

---but for after the next release maybe :u  the current to-do list looks already full

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#75 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Oh. You should have the reader play a random Roc Marciano track when an user first accesses the site.

Spoiler

#76 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Oh. You should have the reader play a random Roc Marciano track when an user first accesses the site.

If I was featuring Roc Marc the gawd, I'd used this sass1.png

• DarkNemesis likes this

241sbad.jpg

Spoiler Parodies

#77 Miss Coquine

Miss Coquine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • LocationRiding Yoru

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Legend!

tumblr_mvzbgsgUOj1rv8ck7o4_250.gif

#78 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Legend!

John or Bob?

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users