• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

well Boku goes out of its way to focus on things like: bureaucracy, and even though it has a main character goes out of its way to make time for side characters and the like to a MUCH greater extent then  FMA does.  don't get me wrong i love fma, i think brotherhood is one of the greatest anime of all time and goes a long way in portraying the human condition in times of war but at the same time, its got flaws that Boku doesn't.  if fma were kmore like Boku, for example, we'd have gotten more focus on such things as how all became an official alchemist in the first place as well as the work they actually do.  but from what the series give us it leaves some glaring holes in the entire process such as how the entire general process works, how they get paid for they're services, how al lives his day to day life outside of the exciting parts, how different alchemists interact with each other, the technology of the time period outside of weapons and the likes, ect.  Boku hits all these points, and does so in such a way that it immerses you in the world to the point where you can actually imagine yourself living there.  hell, vigilantes takes it a step further and goes on to portray life outside of the law and establishes norm by showing us the day to day lives of characters we'd otherwise never get to see in the day to day lives of the hero's like Deku.

sure, you can argue that there's genuine realism in fma, but not to the same extent there is in Boku. that's just a fact.

Eh, this has nothing to do with being realistic. You just have a crave for slice-of-life-ish details, which, yes, contributes to realistic feel but that doesn't mean every show has to do it to be called realistic especially if the focus of the show isn't about such thing. Real life has several aspects, yes? And there's only so much a show can address. Being selective is a thing.

Boku can afford to do so because of its setting. On the other hand I can just say Boku hasn't done anything about war like FMA...

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#22 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Eh, this has nothing to do with being realistic. You just have a crave for slice-of-life-ish details, which, yes, contributes to realistic feel but that doesn't mean every show has to do it to be called realistic especially if the focus of the show isn't about such thing. Real life has several aspects, yes? And there's only so much a show can address. Being selective is a thing.

Boku can afford to do so because of its setting. On the other hand I can just say Boku hasn't done anything about war like FMA...

oh, but it does because it portrays the world  in such a way that it genuinly immerses you and doesn't make you question  the logistics of it all for even a split second.  that's the real definition of realism.  Its like comparing the big bang theory to breaking bad.  one world is detailed and makes you think about the world in a light yo've never thought off before.  the other is the big bang theory.

Edited by retroluffy13, 24 March 2017 - 10:10 PM.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#23 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

oh, but it does because it portrays the world  in such a way that it genuinly immerses you and doesn't make you question  the logistics of it all for even a split second.  that's the real definition of realism.  Its like comparing the big bang theory to breaking bad.  one world is detailed and makes you think about the world in a light yo've never thought off before.  the other is the big bang theory.

Except that FMA is no big bang theory. It's also real, it just doesn't portrays the things/aspects you like to see. That's all.

#24 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

Except that FMA is no big bang theory. It's also real, it just doesn't portrays the things/aspects you like to see. That's all.

I was using an exaggerated point.  but it to be fair it would be more liks, say, house as compared to breaking bad.  realistic, but to a different, lesser degree.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#25 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

To what exent would you consider BnHA realistic to other mangas?

• Chillman likes this

fcfe04fad68d4aafcb09c9c667b48dcf.jpeg

"We are not your kind."

#26 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

To what exent would you consider BnHA realistic to other mangas?

More like define realistic in this context
  • Chillman and Grimmjagger like this

#27 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

How I'd do a shounen-

1) I would NOT go to Shuesnia Publishing(Naruto, Dragonball, Bleach, Hero Academia, One Piece). I've made my feelings perfectly clear on that company and how it operates. I'm actually surprised that Hero Academia hasn't suffered from Editor Takeover or the mangaka suffering from Fame Greed.

2) I'd tone down the Main Character and not make him a loud mouth like so many MCs are nowadays. Now that doesn't mean I'd make him 'quiet' or worse 'emo'. The MC would be more 'real' and if he acts obnoxious there would be consequences as they are in real life for such attitudes.

3) Make the female lead useful. Will not make the female lead a tsundere or yandere. Of course that's mainly an issue that affects the aforementioned publisher more than any other publisher.

4) Take certain elements normally found in seinen, tone them down, and use them for a shounen.

5) Make humor 'accidental'. What I mean by that is that humor in a comic should come out of the blue and without warning. To much shounen humor(especially physical/slapstick) seems forced by the mangaka.

6) Make the main cast an Ensemble instead of Main Character+Company. Try to give the ensemble equal time while still focusing on the main character.

7) Keep the extended cast under 30 characters.

Posted Image

#28 durra072

durra072

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

You just perfectly described Seishun Buta Yaro wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai.

Edited by durra072, 04 January 2019 - 12:06 PM.

People to never take seriously:

Spoiler

#29 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

You just perfectly described Seishun Buta Yaro wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai.

I keep hearing about this. Why?

#30 durra072

durra072

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

I keep hearing about this. Why?

Because it really is that good. I don't want to spoil anything for you, indulge yourself into this surprising story.

People to never take seriously:

Spoiler

#31 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

. . .

. .

This post reminded me of another thing I'd do - Make the title of the series translatable to five or less words in any language. . .

• durra072 likes this

Posted Image

#32 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:18 AM

To my list it goes then. Thought it was a manga but turned out a new anime. Same studio that does Persona 5 even.

• durra072 likes this

#33 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

3) Make the female lead useful. Will not make the female lead a tsundere or yandere. Of course that's mainly an issue that affects the aforementioned publisher more than any other publisher.

I'm at ep 3 and female lead is a very mild (up to this episode anw) but still a tsundere. Not that I complain.

#34 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

Another good series is called Witch Craft Works. Its Seinen yet avoid the 'nastiness' of a Seinen and the 'obnoxiousness' of a Shounen to create a pretty good story. Heck, its labeled as 'Harem' but there really isn't one worth mentioning.

https://bato.to/series/55488

Posted Image

#35 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Because it really is that good. I don't want to spoil anything for you, indulge yourself into this surprising story.

I hate and love you for mentioning this.
  • durra072 likes this

#36 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:25 AM

It's kinda a more earthy Monogatari in the first 7-8 episodes. Then the last 4 gets more mysterious.

#37 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

I might start paying attention to these new anime now. How many have I missed over the years? Why have you done this to me?

#38 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

I might start paying attention to these new anime now. How many have I missed over the years? Why have you done this to me?

Hate to say it but way too many anime/manga suffer from 'Different series, same sh!t'. Right now a person can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a manga that's based in Tolkien Type Fantasy World. . .bonus points if the series is loaded with Norse Mythology References.

Edited by Graeystone, 07 January 2019 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#39 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

if we are going to talk about realism it should be in-universe realism. We shouldn't compare fantasy stories to the real world but to the world, they are in. 

To show my point I am going to do a comparison with Luffy and Naruto. 

Luffy fits into the one piece storyline.

Luffy is a kid who grew up with no reason to read, write, or do arithmetic. He grew up training to fight. He is now a dumbass warrior. Which makes sense in the environment he grew up in. 

So, we can see why Luffy is a dumbass but why is he so damn powerful? That can easily be solved once again. Let's look at Luffy's family tree and we see that his father is powerful and his grandfather is powerful. Then we can see that Luffy being as strong as he makes sense. Now, let's look at the situation in another way. Would Luffy be an admiral if he was trained by his grandfather and at what age? I would suspect that Luffy would become an admiral around the age of 20-25. The reason being that Luffy while training under grap would rises in rankings very quickly and become the new star for the marines.

Now, compare that to Naruto. Naruto is a weak dumbass, that knows nothing how ninjas work nor know how it is a kill or be killed job. Yet, we are supposed to believe that Naruto is a weakling after looking at his family tree. Naruto should be his son Boruto. Now, he lives up to his family tree.

That being said it seems like shonen needs writers for these artists. There seems like only two people in shonen that know how to both write and draw at the same time.

That being said I agree with gray that the editors' something gets in the artist way. Oda is a great example of this. Some moron told him that when he started drawing name that she wasn't pretty enough. Now, Oda tries too hard in drawing women. What I mean he tries to make them the ideal body. The hourglass figure. Another point is that they copy each other because they do not know how to write.  

p5Y5w8P.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users