Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'm on episode 3 now and I'll try to make it to 8 by the end of the day but I must say....This first arc was so deep with symbolism that I had to look for other opinions on MAL to try and make sense of my own interpretation of what went down (Like if the girl really did have a miscarriage at the end)

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#22 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Like if the girl really did have a miscarriage at the end

she shouldn't, given the little part after the ending of episode 2, it looked like she was still waiting for the child to be born

but maybe she miscarriaged and didn't realize? :u

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#23 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

she shouldn't, given the little part after the ending of episode 2, it looked like she was still waiting for the child to be born
but maybe she miscarriaged and didn't realize? :u

This is exactly why this series is messing with my mind lol....It's so ambiguous that it hurts xD

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#24 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

This is exactly why this series is messing with my mind lol....It's so ambiguous that it hurts xD

well, the first story was pretty straight forward, except this last part about what happened to the pregnancy

Spoiler only for who watched up to episode 8
about ambiguity, the story of episodes 1-2 is almost cute when compared to the following stories  :lmao:

an other ambiguous part of episode 1-2 was when the woman was moved to an other room,

all the room switching was really confusing, but it was curious how that ambiguity was actually part of the story, as the mononoke created that illusion to isolate the woman

and how the medicine seller managed to reach that other room by using those weight scale things to detect the mononoke

• Tokoya likes this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#25 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Well well well, I finally got around and watched episodes 1-5 (Didn't want to stop mid-arc, I'll do the next batch soon).

That was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I dig the art and the aesthetics, as well as the sound design, the suspense was spot-on. The Abortion arc was a bit more suspenseful, but I liked the quiz on the boat.
The Medicine seller could've gotten a bit more characterization already, and let's be honest, the entire thing is a bit short on plot so far, but it was still a really nice watch ^^

I'm also constantly reminded of Detective Conan.

#26 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I'm also constantly reminded of Detective Conan.

for the unpredictability?

abortion arc sounds funny, that would make the second arc the incest arc :lmao:

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#27 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

abortion arc sounds funny, that would make the second arc the incest arc :lmao:

Was just about to come and say that if the second arc taught me anything, it's that incest is wincest lol

The 3rd arc was messed up though....That poor girl didn't deserve that treatment at all and I'm glad that those people got what was coming to them (Even though I still don't know how or if they died lol or if the girl still got the death sentence)

Episode 8 was weird though

Edited by Tokoya, 04 April 2017 - 10:17 PM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#28 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,613 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:06 AM

or are you saying, this show has so much content to talk about, that 2 episodes each week would be better?

It's pretty dense but I meant that its assets don't really lend to, "I have to watch another one". A lot of the cultural symbolism is lost on me so I find myself engaging it on its base aspects -- animation, direction, plot -- and those are not resonating with me right now. The direction has been great so far but I'm not the type to be engaged by direction alone.

• Tokoya and Goddess Nike like this

#29 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:48 AM

The 3rd arc was messed up though....That poor girl didn't deserve that treatment at all and I'm glad that those people got what was coming to them (Even though I still don't know how or if they died lol or if the girl still got the death sentence)

the 3rd arc can be interpreted into a lot of ways, i got that as the girl was planning to kill them or to suicide, she didn't do it yet, she was just fantasizing about it, all the arc except the very end happened into her head

her fantasizing was showed when both with her mother, and when she married, her spirit left her body to escape the unpleasant reality, which is a way to show "someone being elsewhere with their head"=fantasizing

then at the end, instead of remaining in her house and fueling more her discomfort and rage, she left to have a better life

the little part with the bird flying away at the end could have been a parallel with her leaving

an other interpretation is that the girl and the other persons were all already dead, the killing and the death sentencing already happened in the past, and the medicine seller exorcized her lingering ghost, but that wouldn't make sense if it's understood at the start the medicine seller was trying to remove a mononoke from the girl, because she was alive

most depends how the last phrase of the medicine seller is understood, the "there is no one here"

as in:

-there is no one at all, no girl, no other persons, "there is no one in this house"

--the abusive persons are dead, and the girl was sentenced

-the girl is no longer here "there is no one in this room"

--she left, and the abusive persons are left to ask her to come but have no response

It's pretty dense but I meant that its assets don't really lend to, "I have to watch another one".

makes sense, since it's a collection of short stories, it isn't a single continuous story

A lot of the cultural symbolism is lost on me

name some parts you didn't understand, or which you've doubts over

as i've already told grimmjagger, this anime isn't supposed to be totally clear right away, figuring it out is part of the fun of it

on the surface it has nice art and music, but the stories are all under the surface

• Tokoya likes this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#30 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

For the entire structure ^^ The Incest Arc especially...

There's a finite and small number of people and the detective are locked on a boat (/in a train/an airplane etc.), one of them is the thief/the murderer, and there are some hints towards other people, there's some hidden personal drama that gives a motive, but not the way it was done, there's commentary characters and staple additional characters (the slightly dense cop/other detective, the businessman, the freak, the relative/friend/fanboy relating to the killer), and the resolution proposed by the other cop/detective is almost never the right one.

Plus, the three-episode structure followed the way cases are built up in Conan's three-chapter arcs almost in detail.

It's pretty dense but I meant that its assets don't really lend to, "I have to watch another one". A lot of the cultural symbolism is lost on me so I find myself engaging it on its base aspects -- animation, direction, plot -- and those are not resonating with me right now. The direction has been great so far but I'm not the type to be engaged by direction alone.

Seems like a matter of taste, I was totally hooked ^^

Edited by Oben, 05 April 2017 - 06:39 AM.

• Zeando likes this

#31 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

I finished the first three arcs, I think Sea Bishop was easily the weakest so far despite having the most time to tell it's story. Zashikiwarashi and Faceless Monster were decent, both were a bit heavy but there wasn't much emotional resonance from me due to the bizarre nature of the storytelling.

Maybe it's the optimist in me but I don't think Ocho actually killed herself, all of the deaths were either metaphorical or delusions created by the Mononoke and she chose to run away from her family at the end.

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#32 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Just dropping by to say, I'm dropping this anime,

The general art style and stories aren't in my tastes, but I'll be on the next serie you guys pick. (probably)

I'm stepping out.

Edited by Grimmjagger, 05 April 2017 - 02:05 PM.

lupdao9d02a.jpeg

Follow my stories!
https://onemangaforu...agger-magazine/
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics
https://onemangaforu...lust/?p=1163928

#33 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Maybe it's the optimist in me but I don't think Ocho actually killed herself, all of the deaths were either metaphorical or delusions created by the Mononoke and she chose to run away from her family at the end.

in the case they were delusions, it would mean the medicine seller managed to get into her head to do all the talking and action, unless the presence of the medicine seller was also an induced delusion into Ocho, in both cases the medicine seller looks almost non-human

about the mononoke, it's true form in the end was a faceless being which was wearing the face of Ocho, and it was convinced to be really Ocho, which explains why "Ocho" was surprised when she realized to be the mononoke

Edited by Zeando, 09 April 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#34 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

April 9 - April 15: Episodes 9 - 12

still need to watch this last group of episodes,

i remember the 8-9 arc was very hard to understand, there should have been some hidden meaning into that game of composing haiku poems using combinations of scents

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

#35 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

April 9 - April 15: Episodes 9 - 12

still need to watch this last group of episodes,

i remember the 8-9 arc was very hard to understand, there should have been some hidden meaning into that game of composing haiku poems using combinations of scents

The 4th arc was really boring for me, I only enjoyed the very end of it.....But the last 3 episodes the Bakaneko arc was the best one by far imo

Overall, the only arcs that I liked were the first 2 and the last one with the 3rd being okay and the 4th just not working for me, so I guess:

Arc 1 - 8.5/10

Arc 2 - 7.5/10

Arc 3 - 6/10

Arc 4 - 3/10

Arc 5 - 9.5/10

Overall: 6.9-7/10 

Edited by Tokoya, 10 April 2017 - 01:16 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#36 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

episode 8-9 was curious, the first time i didn't understand anything of it, but this time i picked up more details

there was a frequent use of colors to point out details

like during the scent contest, how the participants became more colored when they had a reaction to the scents, and how the medicine seller was alreays colored and never grayed out

or how while almost everything was grayed out: the hat, the nose cover and the sword of the 3 participants were colored as to point out something (but only the sword had a meaning, while the other two were red herrings)

while the previous arcs were based on unusual themes as: abortion, incest and suicide/domestic abuse, this fourth arc seems to have been based on greed

as the 3 guys, even after one participant died and after the heir died too, they were only worried about getting hold of the treasure of the family

even if it turned out they were all already dead, and it was all an illusion (which reminds of the result of the medicine seller for the first game)

Edited by Zeando, 10 April 2017 - 01:54 PM.

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users