8 replies to this topic

#1 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

so ive recently found out I have a very small amount of African blood in me.  like:  less then one percent, but big enough to show up on my grandparents ancestry tests.  and it raises a difficult question in my eyes.  what does it mean to have an ethnicity?  obviously, I'm not black.  but all my life I've heard arguments like:  you cant say THAT word because you'r ancestors never experienced it.  but lo and behold, somewhere along the line, my ancestry does trace its roots back to Africa to some extent.

it makes you wonder where the line is.  sure, I'll never be discriminated against for it, which is a big deal.  but now its not as black and white, for lack of a better analogy, as it once was for me.  it begs the question that:  as a society, should we be trying to blur those lines instead of trying to draw them?  what good does it do to draw these imaginary lines, especially based on skin color, when in actuality you never know what race you really are until you get your genetics tested for it?  are white supremists really just dumbasses when they have no idea where the line is drawn and they could be discriminating against themselves for all they know?  same with black supremists?

obviously there are still racial problems today that go beyond history, but it begs the question, should w let go of history to an extent and move forward accepting people they way they are instead of based on the culture they most fit in with?

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#2 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

"does it mean to have an ethnicity?"

ethnicity is defined by the culture associated with it

in your case you don't have an etnicity, only a genetic heritage

about your final question, culture, etnic or not, is what keeps groups of people together, removing it isn't a good idea (or "letting it go")

culture also isn't "drawn", it just forms by itself as the identity of a group grows

but when you're dealing with someone outside your culture, it's just a matter of being nice and polite to remain on a neutral ground, or to don't be too judgemental of others

i think you're not talking about etnicity, but about stereotypes

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#3 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

"does it mean to have an ethnicity?"

ethnicity is defined by the culture associated with it

in your case you don't have an etnicity, only a genetic heritage

about your final question, culture, etnic or not, is what keeps groups of people together, removing it isn't a good idea (or "letting it go")

culture also isn't "drawn", it just forms by itself as the identity of a group grows

but when you're dealing with someone outside your culture, it's just a matter of being nice and polite to remain on a neutral ground, or to don't be too judgemental of others

i think you're not talking about etnicity, but about stereotypes

well I want this to be a discussion not a retro knows all list.  how would you define ethnicity zeando?

no I'm not talking about stereotypes.  rather, cultural divide based on ethnic roots.  its a long story.  but essentially a bias exists in my head that can only associate ethnicity with the divide.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#4 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

:u i just said how i usually understand the term ethnicity, by the culture of the group

a group of people with no shared history or culture isn't an ethnic group, it's just a group of people

the same of a person with blood ties to a group but which doesn't share the same history and culture of the group, that person isn't part of that ethnicity only by blood ties

oh, maybe i got this, you're meaning "ethnicity" as just "ancestry" ?

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#5 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

:u i just said how i usually understand the term ethnicity, by the culture of the group

a group of people with no shared history or culture isn't an ethnic group, it's just a group of people

the same of a person with blood ties to a group but which doesn't share the same history and culture of the group, that person isn't part of that ethnicity only by blood ties

oh, maybe i got this, you're meaning "ethnicity" as just "ancestry" ?

see to me, ethnicity isn't the same as culture, while the two are similar.  ethnicity Implies blood relations of some kind, at least, to me, while culture doesn't nessisarily mean so, as well as the history of that bloodlines culture.

i think the confusion lies in the fact that i wasn't really trying to define ethnicity with the initial post so much as i was just trying to open up discussion on the topic.  so ignore my first post in terms of my actual definition of ethnicity goes.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#6 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

Since I have nothing substantial (yet) to add to this thread, I'll just drop something in the Debate Forum Resources relevant to this discussion.

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#7 ixSheng

ixSheng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hope it's not bad to bump a few weeks old thread.. Personally, I think ethnicity is somewhat tied to "race". It's about the specific culture your lineage came from. The results DNA tests prove are really only relevant to your own knowledge. I've asked myself the very same question of "when can someone no longer claim an ethnic background that they have in their lineage but no longer display traits for?". I think it all depends on the context. Obviously, from your point of view, you know what you are actually(DNA test proved it) but your next question because "does this information really change my personal perception of myself?". The answer to this question isn't as important as the "does you having this information change the prejudices people will have against you?". The answer to this question almost certainly going to be "no". That being said, the information is really not useful in a practical sense but it can and does have sentimental value. 

I agree with you that there really is no use for drawing lines by skin color because in a single generation it's possible for your lineage to become a completely different "race". If your descendants continue to mix with the new "race" the phenotypes will become harder and harder to perceive which then causes them to be subject to prejudices you never had to deal with. In an ideal world, letting go of history is the best option but in our current climate, only the dominant "race" has the ability to really facilitate such an instantaneous change. Otherwise, we just have to wait for continuous "race" mixing slowly weed it out(as far as America, Canada, and Europe goes at least). 

Don't let anything anyone posts distract you from the fact that Krillin was the first of U7 to get knocked out in the ToP :laugh:

#8 Ultrafragor

Ultrafragor

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,202 posts
  • LocationVigrid

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

so ive recently found out I have a very small amount of African blood in me.  like:  less then one percent, but big enough to show up on my grandparents ancestry tests.  and it raises a difficult question in my eyes.  what does it mean to have an ethnicity?  obviously, I'm not black.  but all my life I've heard arguments like:  you cant say THAT word because you'r ancestors never experienced it.  but lo and behold, somewhere along the line, my ancestry does trace its roots back to Africa to some extent.

it makes you wonder where the line is.  sure, I'll never be discriminated against for it, which is a big deal.  but now its not as black and white, for lack of a better analogy, as it once was for me.  it begs the question that:  as a society, should we be trying to blur those lines instead of trying to draw them?  what good does it do to draw these imaginary lines, especially based on skin color, when in actuality you never know what race you really are until you get your genetics tested for it?  are white supremists really just dumbasses when they have no idea where the line is drawn and they could be discriminating against themselves for all they know?  same with black supremists?

obviously there are still racial problems today that go beyond history, but it begs the question, should w let go of history to an extent and move forward accepting people they way they are instead of based on the culture they most fit in with?

White supremacists exist, in their current form, due to the existence of black and asian people in America.

Before slaves and asian immigrants, America was European peoples. In those times, they white Europeans all just discriminated against each other. Most famously, against Irish people. The treatment of the Irish people was severe and harsh. It's hard to imagine how harsh because they're both white and the racial dynamics we've seen don't let us really imagine white people treating each other that way. The way they treated black people.

Before other colored people were added to the mix, Irish people were considered to be a different, lower race than other kinds of whites. Then, after blacks and asians had a presence, white people banded together in the belief that they were superior to these other races. Then, it became about color rather than heritage. 

Genetically, the differences between human "races" is less significant than the differences between breeds of dogs. Genetically, humans weren't even given enough time to evolve to the point that we were actually different races. So, we are just populations where we've made it so skin colors are relatively constant among certain groups and certain facial features are common among certain groups.

It would take no great feat to engineer a "race" of people like the Ishbalan's in FMA. People with caucasian features, brown skin, and blond/white hair. Or any other combination of features and colors that, by chance, happens not to already exist in an certain population. If you look over the people that exist, you can see caucasians, asians, and negroes all come in every color, naturally. There are people with each set of features in all different colors. 

Pretty much all of the stereotypes we have about different races are demonstrably false and even contradict each other. Currently, black people are seen as innately gifted physically. Animalistic in their athleticism, hardiness, and their resplendent sexual organs. However, in the past (very recently) it was believed that blacks were inferior in every respect. Even athletics. After it became apparent that black people were equal or superior, athletically, they were drafted in droves to make up athletic teams. Even though we know there are white players that are as just as good as black players, the stereotype still persists that blacks are better. 

It's all such a farce that doesn't even seem to have a use anymore. At this point, our ideas of race are just a vestigial set of ideas from previous generations that hasn't been seen as harmful enough to be done away with. 

Oh, I guess I didn't tie this back to ethnicity.

Ethnicity is a detrimental idea in our social climate because it just seems to lead to behavior being attributed to race. Someone once told me that they knew I was fully black because of the way I talked.......

Since we don't take the time to appreciate the various ethnic groups that exist in our society, effort is wasted on the idea of ethnicity. People think you act that way because of your skin color, not because of your cultural heritage.

Edited by Ultrafragor, 17 April 2017 - 12:29 AM.

0680-007%20-%20Copy_zpsyjmuhkna.png

#9 Krizalid

Krizalid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

Don't worry about it, hundred percent of humans have some African in them because thats where the humanity first emerged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users