Photo

Kokoro Connect (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #3)

Anime

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Kokoro Connect (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #3) (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What anime should we watch as a group next?

1. Danganronpa (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. Gunslinger Girl (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. Shinsekai Yori (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

4. AnoHana (1 votes [5.88%])

5. Spice and Wolf (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Another (1 votes [5.88%])

7. Katanagatari (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

8. Some other anime not listed (Nominate it in the clubhouse thread) (1 votes [5.88%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

33ony52.jpg

Plot Summary

When five students at Yamaboshi Academy realize that there are no clubs where they fit in, they band together to form the Student Cultural Society, or "StuCS" for short. The club consists of: Taichi Yaegashi, a hardcore wrestling fan; Iori Nagase, an indecisive optimist; Himeko Inaba, a calm computer genius; Yui Kiriyama, a petite karate practitioner; and Yoshifumi Aoki, the class clown.

One day, Aoki and Yui experience a strange incident when, without warning, they switch bodies for a short period of time. As this supernatural phenomenon continues to occur randomly amongst the five friends, they begin to realize that it is not just fun and games. Now forced to become closer than ever, they soon discover each other's hidden secrets and emotional scars, which could end up tearing the StuCS and their friendship apart.

Genre: Slice of Life, Comedy, Supernatural, Drama, Romance
Studio: Silver Link
Source: Light Novel
Premiered: Summer 2012

Tentative Viewing Schedule:
May 3-11 : Episodes 1-5
May 12-19 : Episodes 6-9
May 20-27 : Episodes 10-13
May 28-Jun 2 : Episodes 14-17

Links

http://www.crunchyro.../kokoro-connect

http://kissanime.ru/.../Kokoro-Connect

https://ww1.gogoanim.../kokoro-connect

Spoiler Summaries for the Poll Options

Spoiler Tags

Edited by Goddess Nike, 03 May 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• DaEvilWithin, Insane Soul, Zeando and 2 others like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#2 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

So how does this work again?

We watch the episode in the posted date then we talk about it? Or wait until everyone does watch it before we discuss?

• Goddess Nike likes this

AvjeFFM.png

Who you callin' a dumbass!? I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars!

#3 ArSoNiSt JoE

ArSoNiSt JoE

LOOK AT ME KING!

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

User's Awards

3    4    4   

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Count me in jawalrus.png

• Goddess Nike and Grimmjagger like this

241sbad.jpg

ArSoNiSt JoE's Finest Work:

Spoiler Parodies

Epic stuff from other OMF posters:

#4 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

So how does this work again?

We watch the episode in the posted date then we talk about it? Or wait until everyone does watch it before we discuss?

Kokoro has four arcs so I divided the schedule along those lines but those dates are just are general guideline; one person might finish the first arc (episodes 1-5) tomorrow night while another person might not get there until later next week.
Since we all have different schedules and amounts of freetime a strict viewing time is not ideal as there wouldn't be a time that could work for everybody but on the other hand if there was no schedule at all one person might be on episode 15 while another is on episode 3 and thus they're talking about completely different things making the group watch almost pointless. This way we can all watch at our own pace but still be in the same general area as each other.

For all intents and purposes you can think of it as the same as any other anime discussion thread, the only difference is that when group watching a seasonal show as it airs we're forced to follow it one episode at a time once a week but with an already complete series we all have the freedom to watch and discuss at our own pace.

• ArSoNiSt JoE and Insane Soul like this

2h7297a.jpg

#5 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

As you wish boss!

AvjeFFM.png

#6 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

Seems like I'll step in this one!

1fffbc21d9668dc2df94b087b7f675dc.gif

Follow my stories!
https://onemangaforu...agger-magazine/
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics
https://onemangaforu...lust/?p=1163928

#7 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

For now I will start with Episode 1

Spoiler

AvjeFFM.png

#8 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

On episode two now and re-watching this you can already see early hints of Yui's issues. She doesn't seem to mind being switched with another female, at least to the extent that any person could ever tolerate such a thing, but whenever she switches with either of the boys she completely freaks out to the point of having to be consoled while in Taichi's body.

Note that this isn't true of any of the other four characters while in the body of the opposite sex, if they panic it's usually do the randomness of the switch regardless of whose body they end up in. Her reaction to Iori getting close to her while in Aoki's body was the most obvious so I'm surprised I didn't notice when I first watched this.

Inaba's moment this episode was a lot more subtle so I don't think it's possible to have picked up on what that meant the first time around.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#9 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Harumaki

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

I watched some episodes, will finish the rest of the first week and then give my thoughts...

what happened to everyone?

AvjeFFM.png

#10 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

what happened to everyone?

Mother's Day stuff for me...I spent some time with my mom last week since I rarely get to see her these days and since I'm a mother myself now I had plans all last weekend. Frosty and Candles were the same I'm sure since they're both parents, well Candles isn't a mother but he likes to spoil his wife so ...

I can't speak the others... @Tokoya @Grimmjagger are you guys still following this?  
--

Anyway I am caught up so some thoughts on the Hito Random arc...

They kind of dismissed Inaba's concerns in episode four but I think her worries were valid to some degree. I don't get the impression that these guys are best friends but rather they mostly know and hang out with each other due to merely being in the same club (some are also classmates).
Since they were mostly unaware of each other's personal demons it appears that they haven't known each other for long and aren't particularly close so it is fair to wonder about what someone who you only kind of know from school will do when they're in your body.

I have a strong enough sense of self that I wouldn't have an identity crisis like Iori and I don't have any issues with men like Yui does so I wouldn't be particularly bothered by switching with the opposite sex provided I knew the person really well but if I were to continually switch with a relative stranger I would be constantly worried about what they might do as me. It could be something fairly innocuous but extremely embarrassing, something that gets you suspended from school, or something that gets you serious prison time but as long as you don't know for sure it would weigh on my mind so I can relate to Inaba's concerns the most in the Hito Random arc.

Another thing that stands out is that Taichi's hero complex is extreme given that he was about the sacrifice his life Iori's but thankfully Inaba talked some sense into him (even though Heartseed was just trolling anyway).

Inaba's moment this episode was a lot more subtle so I don't think it's possible to have picked up on what that meant the first time around.

Where was that?
  • Insane Soul, Candles and Kid Frost like this

2h7297a.jpg

#11 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

I actually think that Iori's reaction isn't all that unreasonable and I would be surprised if more people wouldn't have a mini identity crisis after weeks of what they've gone through. That has less to do with the fact that they're switching in general but rather the manner in which they switch; occurring with high frequency, at random intervals, for random durations, between multiple people, any place, any time of day, regardless of what you're doing.

I think it would be much easier to deal with in the many stories where two people switch and stay that way usually until the end because at some point you can get adjusted to the change but when you're five different people for random periods everyday and you go to sleep not even knowing if you're going to wake up in your own bed / body at some point that will start to become a mental issue far beyond the typical mind-body problem. You'd be lucky not to develop dissociative identity disorder constantly pretending to be four different people at random times.

Where was that?

In episode two where Aoki says that the most important thing for that situation is to trust each other and Inaba reacted almost in a guilty manner which does foreshadow what's revealed in episode four. I do agree with you though that they don't know each other nearly well enough to have blind trust but she could see that the other four had faith in the others whereas she had none.

• Kid Frost likes this

#12 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Oh I had some things to do, but will get back to you ASAP, I loved ep.1 so why not?

Follow my stories!
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics

#13 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,921 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Mother's Day stuff for me...I spent some time with my mom last week since I rarely get to see her these days and since I'm a mother myself now I had plans all last weekend. Frosty and Candles were the same I'm sure since they're both parents, well Candles isn't a mother but he likes to spoil his wife so ...

I can't speak the others... @Tokoya @Grimmjagger are you guys still following this?  
--

Anyway I am caught up so some thoughts on the Hito Random arc...

They kind of dismissed Inaba's concerns in episode four but I think her worries were valid to some degree. I don't get the impression that these guys are best friends but rather they mostly know and hang out with each other due to merely being in the same club (some are also classmates).
Since they were mostly unaware of each other's personal demons it appears that they haven't known each other for long and aren't particularly close so it is fair to wonder about what someone who you only kind of know from school will do when they're in your body.

I have a strong enough sense of self that I wouldn't have an identity crisis like Iori and I don't have any issues with men like Yui does so I wouldn't be particularly bothered by switching with the opposite sex provided I knew the person really well but if I were to continually switch with a relative stranger I would be constantly worried about what they might do as me. It could be something fairly innocuous but extremely embarrassing, something that gets you suspended from school, or something that gets you serious prison time but as long as you don't know for sure it would weigh on my mind so I can relate to Inaba's concerns the most in the Hito Random arc.

Another thing that stands out is that Taichi's hero complex is extreme given that he was about the sacrifice his life Iori's but thankfully Inaba talked some sense into him (even though Heartseed was just trolling anyway).

Where was that?

:(

I haven't started yet.....I'm barely keeping up with all my seasonal shows as it is 

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#14 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

I haven't started yet.....I'm barely keeping up with all my seasonal shows as it is

Me too, lol

Follow my stories!
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics

#15 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

I think if you're dealing with a entity that has reality warping superpowers you probably shouldn't attack them since they're unlikely to go down in a mere fist fight and since they can possess you and jump in front of moving train you probably don't want to make them angry either.

Also Taichi straight up admitted that he masturbates to all of his female friends to Inaba's face, I can't believe I forgot about that part :lolxg: .

I think it would be much easier to deal with in the many stories where two people switch and stay that way usually until the end because at some point you can get adjusted to the change but when you're five different people for random periods everyday and you go to sleep not even knowing if you're going to wake up in your own bed / body at some point that will start to become a mental issue far beyond the typical mind-body problem. You'd be lucky not to develop dissociative identity disorder constantly pretending to be four different people at random times.

That would be a headache to deal with, though I actually think a singular body switch can be just as bad depending on the circumstance. For instance in Shishunki Bitter Change the protagonists (Yui and Yuuta) switch at such a young age and they end up growing up in each others body through childhood and adolescence and after a certain point they've been in each others body longer than they were ever in their own. That's as valid a cause for an identity disorder as I've ever seen.

It's an interesting thought experiment, if you and I were to switch bodies now we would still see our selves the same from an identity standpoint since we're adults very firm in our self concept but if we were to switch when we were 7 or 8 years old and stay that way up until now after a certain point you would start to view my body as your own and vice versa. Most people's self identity is intrinsically tied to their own body but how long would it take for you to be separated from your body until that is no longer the case?

I'll start on the Kizu Random arc tonight...I don't really remember this one

• DaEvilWithin and Candles like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#16 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:16 PM

"Your teacher showed up at our house late at night asking to see you for unknown reasons, I'll leave him alone with you in your room with the lights off and close the door. Also even if I hear you screaming and arguing loudly later I won't come in to check on you." :lol:

Anyway I feel like Kokoro Connect is what Kiznaiver wanted to be, I think there are many reasons why the former works better but one of them is definitely the fact the phenomena changes every arc so that it can mine all it's character development and story-telling potential without getting stale or derailing into forced drama. An entire series with just the body swapping or just the unleashed desires wouldn't have been half as good. It also helps that the character reactions to conflict fit both the situations as well as their respective personalities.

Edited by Candles, 31 May 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#17 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,583 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

When you found out the anime only adapts 4 out of 11 volumes...

But thankfully it seems InabaxYaegashi lasts till the end <3

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users