Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

adlopu96e4f.png

IZUKU MIDORIYA

QUIRK: QUIRKLESS BUT WAS GIVEN A QUIRK NAMED "ONE FOR ALL" BY HIS FAVORITE HERO OF ALL TIME ALL MIGHT.

Discuss the main character Izuku Midoriya in this topic.

Edited by Grimmjagger, 11 May 2017 - 10:15 AM.

e7734c025aa8c51fa9a905c5a1dc0ed2.png

BIG THINGS ARE COMING TO OMF!

#2 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Wait how didn't we have a thread for this already?
  • eemo23 likes this

#3 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

Wait how didn't we have a thread for this already?

That's exactly what I wondered about and did it. We even have the League of Villains before Deku, lol.

Edited by Grimmjagger, 11 May 2017 - 11:17 AM.

• eemo23 and Chillman like this

#4 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Smh
  • Grimmjagger likes this

#5 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

- Don't like his fighting style.

Its so bland, Not that it has to be super cool but imo its just lame.

Well atleast he didn't get generic fire powers.

438b6dc4-4b96-40ed-91e3-93581b8572b6_zps

“When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” 

Spoiler Cersei Quotes

#6 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

That's exactly what I wondered about and did it. We even have the League of Villains before Deku, lol.

Does that mean people dislike him so much they didn't even care enough to make a page for him? Every other main characters has more pages then every other character on this forum.

#7 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Does that mean people dislike him so much they didn't even care enough to make a page for him? Every other main characters has more pages then every other character on this forum.

Quite funny you are saying this, I'm not a fan of Midoriya and probably hate him at a level that make him my least favorite but still was the one to open the thread...
  • PunkHazard likes this

#8 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

What is wrong with you people
  • number21, Phenomiracle, /2aw and 2 others like this

#9 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

What is wrong with you people

It's not us, Midoriya seem way too weak and wat too much like an ant VS other characters in BnHA.

#10 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Stop it. He's awesome

• number21 likes this

#11 FrostDancer81

FrostDancer81

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Personally, I really like Izuku and find him a fine main character. A little weak in power compared to the others at the start but it makes sense that he was considering he was given a Quirk that he had no real way to control without literally braking himself apart and had to basically start from the same place that the other students had started when they were literally 4-5 years old when it came to understanding his quirk. Considering that, Izuku has come a long way and has made massive gains in the short amount of time he has had One For All. While not at the top of the food chain, he's definitely not someone that people in his bracket of power can just ignore, especially considering how analytical and quick on his feet he is in a fight. I like him for those reasons and the fact that he is a total dork when it comes to heroes (Especially All Might) and quirks in general.  :D

• number21, eemo23, Phenomiracle and 5 others like this

#12 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Well, what does the average BnHA fan around here think about Midoriya having a still undiscovered quirk (appart from OfA) and discovering it on a flashy way at an epic battle? That's a good way of powering him up someday in the future when his fighting style becomes boring (I always felt superstrength wasn't a really cool power, Horikoshi is achieving makin Midoriyas fights interesting focusing more on his control over the power and the strategy, which is nice, but might become repetitive in some 100-200-ish chapters)

Do you people think he has another hidden quirk? Will it be something cool and a plus on his power? Or will it be a quirk not related to battle itself but which makes him a better hero (as in, he has the power of attracting villains, which would fit with record thus far lol)?

"You can't take the King Marco_by_Kanomaru.gifon your first turn!!"

FoundeothTrafalgaLafan-clu-----> :aww: 

#13 eemo23

eemo23

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  • LocationThe Land where Dreams come true

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Do you people think he has another hidden quirk? Will it be something cool and a plus on his power? Or will it be a quirk not related to battle itself but which makes him a better hero (as in, he has the power of attracting villains, which would fit with record thus far lol)?

Hmmm, I honestly don't think Deku has his own quirk. It wouldn't do justice to the original theme for which this story is based on.

Deku showed up all those heroes and AM himself, by rushing in to fight a villain quirkless when everyone else was watching.

• FrostDancer81 and Grimmjagger like this

When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. When he suffers a disease? No. When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten! - Dr.Hiluluk

s7218980.jpg

#14 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

It would worsen the hate already toward him, the only thing I appreciate about Deku is that altho he didn't have a quirk, he rushed to save someone even tho that person was bullying him.

If Hiroshiki make a 180° turn now, it would drive BnHA in a too much "cliche" road.
  • eemo23, /2aw and FrostDancer81 like this

#15 eemo23

eemo23

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

If Hiroshiki make a 180° turn now, it would drive BnHA in a too much "cliche" road.

Agree with your entire post but this specifically is what really resonated with me. 

This series is the exact opposite of cliche IMO. 

• FrostDancer81, Chillman and Grimmjagger like this

When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. When he suffers a disease? No. When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten! - Dr.Hiluluk

s7218980.jpg

#16 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:14 AM

Well but what does him discovering a quirk have to do with scene where he runs towards a villain? If he discovers he has a quirk in some... Let's say 200 chapters, he still was quirkless when he run towards the villain in the first chapter. How does one take out the other? :shrug:

#17 eemo23

eemo23

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Well but what does him discovering a quirk have to do with scene where he runs towards a villain? If he discovers he has a quirk in some... Let's say 200 chapters, he still was quirkless when he run towards the villain in the first chapter. How does one take out the other? :shrug:

I hear what you're saying, but I want to add a few more points to the original argument which may help you understand my thought process. 

I think one of the biggest points this series drives home is: Deku was never a genetically gifted person but even so, he will become the greatest hero in a society where your life is literally determined based on your genetics.

1) One of the questions the series is grappling with is: "Is Deku even worthy of OFA?" 

He's so normal that Nighteye doesn't think he's worthy of his power.

I think once this arc is over, we'll begin to appreciate Deku even more. That's a focus in this arc after all, right? Mirio should have received OFA, not Deku.

2) Shinsou talks about how Deku was "blessed with such a magnificent power".

Shinsou doesn't realize that Deku wasn't even born with OFA and that it's a borrowed power.

The moral here is that you don't need to be born with the best of everything to succeed in life - This series is about a boy who shows genuine commitment towards his dream and is making the most of everything he is given. 

It's true that Deku is very lucky too. I'm sure there are many others who also show genuine commitment too - But Deku will stand as a role model to all those who are like him. This is what is meant by "You, too, can be a hero!"

3) As much as I didn't want to compare to Naruto (which is good in its own right) - The focus in Naruto at the beginning was "Hard work trumps talent". 

Naruto is supposedly a failure and his rival Sasuke is a genius. As the story progresses, we learn that Naruto has been gifted with extraordinary chakra and regen abilities thanks to the Nine Tails. The whole "hard work trumps talent" disappeared into thin air. 

With BnHA, I feel that if Deku somehow has his own quirk, it takes away from the focus of "Even those that are handicapped in society can be just as successful, if not even more successful than those that are gifted from the start."

Example:

For me, I best see the comparison as someone who is born into a poor family vs someone who is born into a rich family. 

Wouldn't you cheer so strongly for the guy who is poor but overcomes all odds - works multiple jobs, takes care of the family and siblings, works hard in school, graduates from college, and becomes a millionaire? 

Now, what if I told you, that after graduating from college, the kid realizes his lost Uncle actually owns an entire island and is flourishing with cash?

Sure, it doesn't take away from what the kid did, but you wouldn't be as satisfied. 

So, for me, it's something like that with Deku. If Deku is shown to have a quirk later, I just wouldn't be as satisfied with the story. 

Edited by eemo23, 19 May 2017 - 01:16 AM.

• RhyssaFireheart, /2aw, FrostDancer81 and 3 others like this

s7218980.jpg

#18 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:00 AM

I hear what you're saying, but I want to add a few more points to the original argument which may help you understand my thought process.

I think one of the biggest points this series drives home is: Deku was never a genetically gifted person but even so, he will become the greatest hero in a society where your life is literally determined based on your genetics.

1) One of the questions the series is grappling with is: "Is Deku even worthy of OFA?"

He's so normal that Nighteye doesn't think he's worthy of his power.

I think once this arc is over, we'll begin to appreciate Deku even more. That's a focus in this arc after all, right? Mirio should have received OFA, not Deku.

2) Shinsou talks about how Deku was "blessed with such a magnificent power".

Shinsou doesn't realize that Deku wasn't even born with OFA and that it's a borrowed power.

The moral here is that you don't need to be born with the best of everything to succeed in life - This series is about a boy who shows genuine commitment towards his dream and is making the most of everything he is given.

It's true that Deku is very lucky too. I'm sure there are many others who also show genuine commitment too - But Deku will stand as a role model to all those who are like him. This is what is meant by "You, too, can be a hero!"

3) As much as I didn't want to compare to Naruto (which is good in its own right) - The focus in Naruto at the beginning was "Hard work trumps talent".

Naruto is supposedly a failure and his rival Sasuke is a genius. As the story progresses, we learn that Naruto has been gifted with extraordinary chakra and regen abilities thanks to the Nine Tails. The whole "hard work trumps talent" disappeared into thin air.

With BnHA, I feel that if Deku somehow has his own quirk, it takes away from the focus of "Even those that are handicapped in society can be just as successful, if not even more successful than those that are gifted from the start."

Example:

For me, I best see the comparison as someone who is born into a poor family vs someone who is born into a rich family.

Wouldn't you cheer so strongly for the guy who is poor but overcomes all odds - works multiple jobs, takes care of the family and siblings, works hard in school, graduates from college, and becomes a millionaire?

Now, what if I told you, that after graduating from college, the kid realizes his lost Uncle actually owns an entire island and is flourishing with cash?

Sure, it doesn't take away from what the kid did, but you wouldn't be as satisfied.

So, for me, it's something like that with Deku. If Deku is shown to have a quirk later, I just wouldn't be as satisfied with the story.

You hit the right button with the Naruto analogy.The work hard concept was cool until he was "the chosen one", something a lot of mangas want to do lately and ruin the plot quite a lot to me (that's why I'm scared about the Luffy-Roger analogies in OP...).

So I perfectly get why you guys (or at least you) don't want that to happen, I 100% agree that giving him a strong and "chosen one" quirk would ruin the whole series.

But I wusealso thinking in the podsibility of a kind of "useless" quirk which doesn't manifest as a power he can later use and ruin the "I was born normal" idea that much. As in, for example, attracting villains. I mean, that would be a stupid quirk, quite a shitty ine if you ask me, so it wouldn't change the fact that it's thanks to the effort and OfA that he has reached that level. Imagine that when the manga ends he, as the narrator, explains how he has realized he has a quirk, which is to attract villains. Something like thst wouldn't ruin the plot imo.

Even if... After reading your post I kind of feel the idea I just explained would also leave us slightly with a "oooh, so he is perfect for the role" feeling :D

To be honest, I love the concept of the main character being whi he is thanks to pure luck, and even wondering if he was the right choice. I would love Horikoshi forever and ever if he went and proved Mirio would have been a better succesor for OfA and outright makes Deku realize it :D That would be sick, cool and original. And Deku would have to deal with the concept that, regardless of the situation, you can't be stuck on thinking "what if"-s, you just have to embrace what has happened, and go on forward to do your best whichever the situation you're in is. I've always thought like that, and I think it's a more realistic ideology than someone betting on you for you to actually end up being what that person hoped about you, which is inspiring, but less reslistic so to say (maybe that's my mentality because I don't understand people who bet their lives on being the best at something, to me it's like "try it, but be ready for defeat, you'll enjoy life more thst way, as you won't suffer that much and will be happy with any outcome" :D )

#19 eemo23

eemo23

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

But I wusealso thinking in the podsibility of a kind of "useless" quirk which doesn't manifest as a power he can later use and ruin the "I was born normal" idea that much. As in, for example, attracting villains. I mean, that would be a stupid quirk, quite a shitty ine if you ask me, so it wouldn't change the fact that it's thanks to the effort and OfA that he has reached that level. Imagine that when the manga ends he, as the narrator, explains how he has realized he has a quirk, which is to attract villains. Something like thst wouldn't ruin the plot imo.

Even if... After reading your post I kind of feel the idea I just explained would also leave us slightly with a "oooh, so he is perfect for the role" feeling

Ah I see - Hmm, I'll be happy whichever route Horikoshi takes. After all, he's written such an amazing story already, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

But, personally, I still would have to say that I would like it more if Deku did not have a quirk at all - even if it were something as comedic as "attracting villains" (not sure how that would work, unless Deku means it as a joke at the end of the story), or even the other "popular theory" - his quirk is to have tears rushing out of his eyes like waterfalls (You know how he realizes he won the second round of the tournament? :D)

To me, this story is about a kid who is normal in every sense of the term (when compared to people like us) and is living in a world where the majority of people are superhumans. 

Having a quirk, any quirk, would take away from that "normalness" IMO.

To be honest, I love the concept of the main character being whi he is thanks to pure luck, and even wondering if he was the right choice. I would love Horikoshi forever and ever if he went and proved Mirio would have been a better succesor for OfA and outright makes Deku realize it That would be sick, cool and original. And Deku would have to deal with the concept that, regardless of the situation, you can't be stuck on thinking "what if"-s, you just have to embrace what has happened, and go on forward to do your best whichever the situation you're in is. I've always thought like that, and I think it's a more realistic ideology than someone betting on you for you to actually end up being what that person hoped about you, which is inspiring, but less reslistic so to say (maybe that's my mentality because I don't understand people who bet their lives on being the best at something, to me it's like "try it, but be ready for defeat, you'll enjoy life more thst way, as you won't suffer that much and will be happy with any outcome" )

I really like the aspect of realistic ideology and maybe you're right - Deku might have to accept that there could have been people who would be better suited with OFA. 

And based on how the story is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Horikoshi takes that route. 

Deku has a strong desire to prove that he is worthy of this quirk and maybe he will prove his worthiness. But it's possible that it won't change that someone like Mirio could be better suited for the quirk. At the very least Deku will be content knowing that he was able to save lives and change people for the better. 

Still, Future Deku has told us that is the story of a kid who becomes the greatest hero of all time. And, for that to happen, wouldn't someone as highly respected as Sir Nighteye have to respect Deku or acknowledge him as a hero, not as a guy who doesn't deserve his power? 

• Chillman likes this

s7218980.jpg

#20 Madara D Dragon

Madara D Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Still, Future Deku has told us that is the story of a kid who becomes the greatest hero of all time. 

Wow wow wow. Have I really forgotten that!?!? If that was said literally as you said... get ready for Deku passing on his OfA powers to Bakugou in the final arc and revealing he was talking about Bakugou becoming the greatest hero of all time all along  :charm:

• Grimmjagger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users