Photo

Danganronpa: The Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #4)

Anime

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Danganronpa: The Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #4) (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which anime should we watch next?

1. Shinsekai Yori (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Ghost Hunt (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. Steins;Gate (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (2 votes [11.11%])

5. Gunslinger Girl (1 votes [5.56%])

6. AnoHana (1 votes [5.56%])

7. Spice and Wolf (1 votes [5.56%])

8. Another (1 votes [5.56%])

9. Katanagatari (2 votes [11.11%])

10. Monster (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Some other anime not listed (Nominate it in the clubhouse thread) (2 votes [11.11%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

qyh0tc.jpg

Plot Summary

Hope's Peak Academy is an elite high school that accepts only the most talented students. Individuals who successfully enroll receive their own unique titles, suitably reflective of their skills and traits. Of the fifteen candidates admitted to the peculiar school that year, Makoto Naegi is a completely ordinary individual who has been accepted by sheer chance, with the title of "Super High School-Level Luck."
Naegi and his fellow classmates are initially ecstatic to be chosen to study at this prestigious institution, but these feelings of happiness are short-lived. They are soon confronted by Monokuma, the principal and resident bear, who traps them inside the school. The pupils' hopes of escape and graduation hinge on one of them successfully murdering one of their peers without being discovered. However, if the killer is caught, he or she will be executed, and the remaining survivors will be left to continue the deathmatch until only a single victor remains.

Genre: Mystery, Horror, Psychological
Studio: Lerche
Source: Video Game
Premiered: Summer 2013

Tentative Viewing Schedule:
June 5-12 : Episodes 1-4
June 13-20 : Episodes 5-9
June 21-27 : Episodes 10-13

Links

https://www.funimati...-the-animation/

http://kissanime.ru/...a-The-Animation

https://ww1.gogoanim...a-the-animation

Spoiler Summaries for the Poll Options

Edited by Goddess Nike, 05 June 2017 - 03:52 PM.

• DaEvilWithin, Insane Soul, Candles and 3 others like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#2 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

Will this die??

#3 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

I actually already watched this one lol

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#4 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Ethics? What are those!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

HAPPENING

#5 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,427 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

Is this better than the game?

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#6 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

Is this more on the murder riddles, or more on the hope/despair stuff? If it's the former, I'd watch, but I don't really care about the latter.

#7 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

It's not to me primarily for two reasons...

1. Instead of putting the clues together yourself and solving the murders and other mysteries on your own, you're just watching it all happen which isn't nearly as fun but being an anime there's no real way around it either.

2. With only 13 episodes it has just enough time to cover every trial but not enough time to give the characters the depth they have in the game and getting to know the individual characters is part of what I liked about the games. Plus in any series a character's death has more emotional impact when you know more about the character. Though every anime that adapts a game, light novel, etc. deals with the same issue of not having enough time to portray everything.   

That said because the second game is so much better than the first one some people recommend watching the anime just to get it out of the way and then jumping into the DR2 and while other people might say not to bother with it at all. Personally I enjoyed the anime for what it is but by the time I watched it I had already played three games and read two light novels so I had a different context while viewing it.

Is this more on the murder riddles, or more on the hope/despair stuff? If it's the former, I'd watch, but I don't really care about the latter.

More of the former, the latter doesn't get dealt with until the mastermind is revealed which isn't until the last episode but despair is a major theme of the franchise overall but more-so in the prequels and sequels. The other major theme is talent, more specifically the gifts and curses that come from being extremely talented and the envy of those that lack talent. One of the things many characters have in common (other than tragic backstories) is a love / hate relationship with their talents and other characters have their self identity intrinsically tied to their talents to  the point of viewing it as the only thing they have going for them in their life. This is another theme that gets explored more later in the franchise, DR 1 mostly just serves as introduction to those ideas.

Edited by Goddess Nike, 06 June 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• Oben, Insane Soul, Blue22 and 1 other like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#8 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Daganronpa!
Alright, I'll try keeping up this time around.

lupdao9d02a.jpeg

Follow my stories!
https://onemangaforu...agger-magazine/
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics
https://onemangaforu...lust/?p=1163928

#9 Oben

Oben

Soup

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

More of the former, the latter doesn't get dealt with until the mastermind is revealed which isn't until the last episode but despair is a major theme of the franchise overall but more-so in the prequels and sequels. The other major theme is talent, more specifically the gifts and curses that come from being extremely talented and the envy of those that lack talent. One of the things many characters have in common (other than tragic backstories) is a love / hate relationship with their talents and other characters have their self identity intrinsically tied to their talents to  the point of viewing it as the only thing they have going for them in their life. This is another theme that gets explored more later in the franchise, DR 1 mostly just serves as introduction to those ideas.

I was already connivingly tricked into getting through DR2, so I get the main points. It was fine, but the ending was a bit contrived. I did enjoy the puzzles though.

Edited by Oben, 06 June 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#10 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Heeeell to the NO!

#11 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Ethics? What are those!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

I was already connivingly tricked into getting through DR2, so I get the main points. It was fine, but the ending was a bit contrived. I did enjoy the puzzles though.

ehahah...ha

Gotta go

Edited by Insane Soul, 06 June 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#12 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Ethics? What are those!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

To highlight more the differences of the Anime Vs Visual Novel, I will make a post summarizing the differences after each week. It would have been better if we split the discussion schedule according to Chapters, but given the tight schedule (and lack of interest (I am part to blame)), I guess 2 Chapters for week work too.

But as Goddess Nike said, most of the common 'mistakes' or shortcoming of the anime are:

-Lack of Actual Mystery

-They cut 1-2 hours of Crime Scene/ Investigation and roughly 2 hours of Trials into 30 minutes episodes.

But rewatching this anime will be good, as much as I like to criticize it, it was the reason I started Danganronpa on the first place, and got me hooked into this wonderful franchise that shaped me into the terrible person I am today~

@Goddess Nike @Kid Frost  I will watch the episodes possibly tonight then post about them to get this started.

@gamria mentioning if you want to hop.

Edited by Insane Soul, 09 June 2017 - 08:55 PM.

• Goddess Nike, gamria and Kid Frost like this

#13 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm confused as to if the students already knew about the fact that they had to not only murder someone but also get away with it in order to graduate prior to Maizono's trial, there's seems to be evidence both ways. Of course it's possible that only individual students knew but not the entire group.

Also who did the subtitles for this? I can almost forgive using Monobear instead of Monokuma but using "super duper" in place of the ultimate titles is mind-numbingly awful.

• Blue22 and Kid Frost like this

#14 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

I think Monokuma made the information available to all of them but the only ones that really looked into it were the ones that gave  serious consideration towards graduating. Maizono and Celestia definitely knew prior to the group announcement and those two have something in common with each other that shows why.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#15 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

I feel like the easiest way to narrow down suspects in the second case is for everyone to show their secret, since some of them already said that their "secret" are pretty lame. So only the ones with a real secret should have a motive.

#16 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Every one of them already has a potential motive to murder in order to graduate and besides anyone could lie about what their secret is or use the idea of the secrets in general as a red herring. That also assumes that any murder that occurs is premeditated which is a dangerous assumption to make given the stakes at hand. It's more in their favor to assume everyone as a possible killer and just go off the evidence from the investigation.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#17 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

Ethics? What are those!?

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts
  • LocationUmu

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

I feel like the easiest way to narrow down suspects in the second case is for everyone to show their secret, since some of them already said that their "secret" are pretty lame. So only the ones with a real secret should have a motive.

It is never that easy, which is something the anime didn't highlight.

One, Monokuma would always try to sabotage any attempt of stopping the murders with persuasion, confusing the students,using the tension after chapter 1. As Kid Frost said, most had a reason to kill for the secret, Naegi is an exception because he was so plain before the Murder Games that Monokuma couldn't do anything about it. (MC syndrome).

Anyway, I watched Ep 1 and 2, will do the other 2 tomorrow, again sorry for the wait.

Spoiler

• Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#18 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

This idea wouldn't be so bad in an environment where people are trustworthy enough. But it's not.

Everybody's trust got shaken up from Trial 1, so Monokuma is just leveraging this to sow more distrust with the secrets.

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#19 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

Also who did the subtitles for this? I can almost forgive using Monobear instead of Monokuma but using "super duper" in place of the ultimate titles is mind-numbingly awful.

And this would be one of the reasons why I'm a dub man :lolxg:

Granted Danganronpa's anime dub...kinda sucks. Which is a shame because the games have some of the best dubs I've ever heard.

Though if you're watching the subs, I'd suggest just finding the official funimation ones. They keep the "Monokuma" and "Ultimates"

Edited by Blue22, 14 June 2017 - 12:52 PM.

• Grimmjagger likes this

#20 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'm at episode 3 and I'm liking this so far, even though it doesn't look like they have a lot of time for laying out the clues for us during investigations to make the mystery more interesting.

I've had DR2 on my to-play list for a while. Does this count as spoilers for the game?

(Also voting for Katanagatari because I need an excuse to watch it again.)

Edited by Tale, 14 June 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• Goddess Nike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users