Photo

Danganronpa: The Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #4)

Anime

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Danganronpa: The Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair (Clubhouse Anime Group Watch #4) (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which anime should we watch next?

1. Shinsekai Yori (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Ghost Hunt (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. Steins;Gate (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (2 votes [11.11%])

5. Gunslinger Girl (1 votes [5.56%])

6. AnoHana (1 votes [5.56%])

7. Spice and Wolf (1 votes [5.56%])

8. Another (1 votes [5.56%])

9. Katanagatari (2 votes [11.11%])

10. Monster (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Some other anime not listed (Nominate it in the clubhouse thread) (2 votes [11.11%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

I watched episodes 1 and 2, thus far, I hate that damn bear, somebody shoot it, oh fuck it, he would just re-spawned again anyway.
  • Tale likes this

0ad46516cd807f27e344afb947fdf188.gif

"Who the fuck am I to criticize your twisted state of mind?"

#22 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts
  • LocationOne profile checks...Two profile checks...Three...

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

I've had DR2 on my to-play list for a while. Does this count as spoilers for the game?

(Also voting for Katanagatari because I need an excuse to watch it again.)

You need to play the 1st game or watch this anime to start sdr2
  • Tale likes this

#23 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

And this would be one of the reasons why I'm a dub man :lolxg:

Granted Danganronpa's anime dub...kinda sucks. Which is a shame because the games have some of the best dubs I've ever heard.

Though if you're watching the subs, I'd suggest just finding the official funimation ones. They keep the "Monokuma" and "Ultimates"

I am never touching a dub after the comparison of 'You know what' in Ch1 of Super Danganronpa.

#24 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

As Kid Frost said, most had a reason to kill for the secret

I guess I phrased that badly because that's not what I meant; my point was more that the graduation clause already gives each student a potential motive for murder even disregarding the temporary incentives that Monokuma gives each chapter.

Potentially there could be a student that doesn't care at all about their secret being revealed but is still desperate enough to kill someone in order to escape. In that case the incentive about the secrets would be merely circumstantial to the murder or even worse could be used as a red herring to throw the trial off course. Keep in mind I'm talking from the viewpoint of the students in universe, not what we know as players / viewers. They have to look at all possibilities and since there's no guarantee that any given murder has anything to do with the incentive of that chapter you can't assume that by default.

IMO it's best to examine the evidence from the investigation and if any if that leads to Monokuma's incentive then work from there but I wouldn't start with it axiomatically.

I hate that damn bear, somebody shoot it, oh fuck it, he would just re-spawned again anyway.

There's also the fact that you'd be executed on the spot if you did so :lol:
  • Insane Soul, Candles and Blue22 like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#25 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

It works out perfectly that when we finish this anime it will be three months until V3 so if I replay DR2 at same pace I did DR1 (2 chapters per month) I will finish the same week V3 comes out. I just have to avoid getting spoiled until then. :psyduck:

Okay, this is why I can't stand the anime after watching the game, everything feels so static, almost as if they are following a script.

-Oh hi, this is me, this is you, this is everyone else, here comes the bear

-Lets Kill!

-ARARA ALREADY HURTING ME, WE CAN'T HAVE THIS CAN WE

-Oh yeah kill each other

-*gasp*

In the game there was plenty of time for us (the viewers/player) to realistically see the situation in Naegis point of view, take a look at the surroundings, ask why are they on the first place, why does Hagakure looks so dumb, etc etc.

Agreed and two things in particular that stands out to me from just the first episode is that unlike the introductions in the game, the anime doesn't actually explain why the Ultimates are in fact Ultimates even though it tries to make the school and it's students come across as a big deal.

For instance when you first talk to Fukawa in the game it's stated that she debuted as an author at a young age and that she already has a series best selling novels that are incredibly popular, especially among young women and with Asahina it's stated that she's been breaking athletic records in various sports since elementary school and is already a candidate for Japan's Olympic swimming team. It's the same for the other students but the main thing that's established is that they're all geniuses and prodigies in their respective fields that they are celebrities on the national level which explains why Makoto is so in awe of being around them and why getting into Hope's Peak Academy is such a major deal.

The other thing that stands out from the early episodes is Maizono's reduced characterization. IMO every character suffers from the anime not having any equivalent of the free time events but in the game even prior to the first FTE there's a moment where she asks you to come with her  in search of a weapon to protect herself and during that time she has a mini meltdown when talking about her past and the current situation.

It serves as a bit of character development because you get a sense for how hard she's had to work to get to where she is in the industry, how unwilling she is to give that up, and how desperate she is to escape that school but also a bit of foreshadowing because you see that she's willing to resort to violence if it comes to that. Makoto even wonders to himself if her normal optimistic attitude is merely a mask she uses to deal with stressful situations. So when it turns out that she's the first person to attempt a murder it may still come across as surprising if you assumed that she'd be a co-protagonist but it doesn't come completely out of nowhere because the narrative seeds have already been planted.

• Insane Soul, Candles and Kid Frost like this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#26 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationJamaica Estates

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

there's a moment where she asks you to come with her in search of a weapon to protect herself

And then she insisted that Naegi take the sword that was eventually used against her by Leon...that backfired spectacularly.

It's the same for the other students but the main thing that's established is that they're all geniuses and prodigies in their respective fields that they are celebrities on the national level which explains why Makoto is so in awe of being around them and why getting into Hope's Peak Academy is such a major deal.

That's something I've never understood, I get why the Ultimates are a big deal when you see what they've accomplished and what they're capable of but because of that I feel like the appeal of attending Hope's Peak is vastly overstated. I makes sense for someone like Naegi but for most of the others not so much.

And this would be one of the reasons why I'm a dub man :lolxg:

Granted Danganronpa's anime dub...kinda sucks. Which is a shame because the games have some of the best dubs I've ever heard.

Though if you're watching the subs, I'd suggest just finding the official funimation ones. They keep the "Monokuma" and "Ultimates"

I mostly joking about the fan-subs, I don't really care about such things that much. That said I think you're confused because both Funimation's official dub and sub use the exact same titles as each other (ie.. both use Monokuma and both use Super High School whatever) as did the original English localization of the first game.

Personally I don't have a strong preference towards either dubs or subs, (this is the reason I still have accounts for both Funimation Now and Crunchy Roll after their partnership), I judge each series on an individual basis and go with which one I think was better for that particular show.

I actually think the voice acting on this dub isn't that bad (at least by Funimation's mediocre standards) with one notable exception. Unfortunately between Monokuma's awful dub voice and the cringe-worthy dialogue changes I can't make it through the dub again (I've seen it once before).
The DR3 dub is even worse but in an entertaining way because it's so bad it can pass as an abridged series.  

Edited by Candles, 14 June 2017 - 09:40 PM.

• Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#27 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

Well it's stated in the prologue / first episode that if you graduate from Hope's Peak then you're practically set for life so it's probably seen as the pragmatic choice. :shrug:

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

#28 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Well it's stated in the prologue / first episode that if you graduate from Hope's Peak then you're practically set for life so it's probably seen as the pragmatic choice. :shrug:

https://onemangaforu...-hen/?p=1161626

^^ I posted in the other thread since my example is somewhat spoiler-ish. To be serious though...

Spoiler

• Goddess Nike and Kid Frost like this

#29 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

It works out perfectly that when we finish this anime it will be three months until V3 so if I replay DR2 at same pace I did DR1 (2 chapters per month) I will finish the same week V3 comes out. I just have to avoid getting spoiled until then. :psyduck:

Just for the love god, do not or anyone nominate DR3, it has been almost a year and the scars still haunt me to this day.

Agreed and two things in particular that stands out to me from just the first episode is that unlike the introductions in the game, the anime doesn't actually explain why the Ultimates are in fact Ultimates even though it tries to make the school and it's students come across as a big deal.

For instance when you first talk to Fukawa in the game it's stated that she debuted as an author at a young age and that she already has a series best selling novels that are incredibly popular, especially among young women and with Asahina it's stated that she's been breaking athletic records in various sports since elementary school and is already a candidate for Japan's Olympic swimming team. It's the same for the other students but the main thing that's established is that they're all geniuses and prodigies in their respective fields that they are celebrities on the national level which explains why Makoto is so in awe of being around them and why getting into Hope's Peak Academy is such a major deal.

Another thing that I dislike is that the anime barely does justice to Enoshima's character in Chapter 1, you know what I am talking about. The freetime events before her death in Ch1 shows to Naegi she is not a simple airhead. 

Instead the anime simply shows her throwing remarks with the plot, but not a insight of her.

Edited by Insane Soul, 14 June 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#30 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

With the amount of interest in this, should we just burst all of the Daganronpan series? Would be fun IMO.

#31 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

With the amount of interest in this, should we just burst all of the Daganronpan series? Would be fun IMO.

It is not possible. The only anime adaptation was Danganronpa the Animation which covers the first game, Super Danganronpa 2 which is the sequel never got adapted, neither did the spin off "Ultra Despair Girls" (which takes place between 1 and 2). One year ago we got Danganronpa 3 "Mirai-hen" and "Zetsubou-hen", 2 ongoing animes that were original content to wrap up the plot of the games and novels released so far, as the author wanted to continue the Franchise with another Universe, my point is, to even attempt to watch that people have to watch at least a PT of Super Danganronpa 2 to understand it, and even I advice to not watch DR3, it wasn't that good.

Anyway, watched episode 3 and 4

Spoiler

• Kid Frost likes this

#32 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:19 AM

Anyway, watched episode 3 and 4

Spoiler

What didn't you like about the trial? I didn't play the game so I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was fine.

#33 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

What didn't you like about the trial? I didn't play the game so I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was fine.

It's kind of rushed and sloppy by comparison also lacking the foreshadowing of events ahead of time that game offered. To give some examples...

Fukawa & Byakuya: The existence and infamy of Genocider Syo was established much earlier in the game as serial killer everyone in the group knows of and fears and even then it was possible to guess about her identity back then due to Fukawa's reaction during that conversation. When it comes back up during the investigation it's also given more detail and the way Byakuya drives the whole investigation makes it clear that there's red herring at play but it's harder to figure out what. The anime by comparison brings it up almost out of nowhere just in time for it to be relevant for the trial and doesn't give much attention even then.

With Byakuya his personality, past, and deterimination to win the game at expense of everyone else was touched upon a bit more in the game so it comes as no surprise when it turns out that he manipulated murder in order to figure out who the biggest threats to him were. Him the same in the anime almost comes across as random trolling since he hasn't had as much screen time by that point.

Fujisaki & Owada: It should noted that Fujisaki's one of my favorites due to being one of the earliest and best examples of what the Ultimates are capable of when they utilize their talents. Especially since if you spend time with him in the game he bemoans his lack of ability to be useful to the others and yet his actions in this game is not only crucial here but continues to be significant for the entire rest of the series. In regards to this trial there were a lot of hints that he was a boy in the game. His weakness complex gets hinted at multiple times in the story and because of it he repeatedly makes statements about wanting to get stronger but when the Sakura and Asahina offer to help him train and work out with them not only does he decline but he continues to dodge them. In fact he is uncomfortable hanging out with the girls in general, which could be passed off as shyness but for some reason is fine being around the boys. He was also really reluctant to be seen in a swim suit when offered a chance to go swimming.
Owada's personality including his code of honor, manliness, and desire to be seen as strong is established more in the game and his past is hinted at when he mentions his brother's death early on. Most of things that occurred were foreshadowed in advance in the game but not the anime.

Character stuff aside, the trial itself fails more because a long and thorough investigation is reduced to quick and sometimes confusing montage that doesn't explain or ponder the significance of any of the evidence and some stuff is cut out entirely even though it still gets brought up in the trial. The rushed nature of it really takes most of the mystery out. Speaking of mysteries, in each chapter of the game there are hints about the overall mystery behind what's going on with these students. Some of these aren't in the anime and the ones that are get handled with less subtlety.

Edited by Kid Frost, 17 June 2017 - 08:07 AM.

• Insane Soul, Candles, Gobi Todic and 1 other like this

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

#34 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

To add more, the way the Trial 1 handled the clues makes the Naegi suspicion at the start of the Trial pointless if some characters already knew by default most of the Sayaka adventure WITHOUT brainstorming and throwing accusations back and forth.

One of the charms of the game is how complicated the cases are (at least for SDR2, DR1 were kind of simple yet good). Seeing the clues being slammed in the viewers face without any thought annoys me.

But, if you really like what you are seeing, I do recommend you check the First game in Youtube after this anime run is over.

Edited by Insane Soul, 17 June 2017 - 11:36 AM.

• Gobi Todic and Goddess Nike like this

#35 Candles

Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Celeste's plan was definitely flawed because she created a situation where only one person could be the culprit but if that person was able to clear their name (or have someone else do it for them) then her entire plan goes off the rails, her testimony becomes extremely questionable which would back her into a corner. It was a risky gamble which fits her character since she is the Ultimate Gambler but a more simple plan might have worked better.    

It would have been an easier lure Hagakure out and drug him the same way but instead of stuffing him in a robot costume just tie him up and throw him into the pool. A murder like that would have been much harder to solve since there isn't much evidence to gather and doesn't require an accomplice.

Spoiler Spoiler tagged for those watching for the first time

Also was it ever stated whether or not Sayaka really had psychic abilities in canon, the game hints more strongly that she actually does but it's never confirmed and it would explain why she choose to target Leon as opposed to someone physically weaker like Fujisaki. She could've used her ability to find the person that would be most likely to accept her invitation since nearly everyone wasn't trusting each other and they had all agreed to not leave their room during night time.

• Kid Frost likes this

#36 Goddess Nike

Goddess Nike

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationIn Despair

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

https://onemangaforu...-hen/?p=1161626

I'm dead :lolxg: 

One of the charms of the game is how complicated the cases are (at least for SDR2, DR1 were kind of simple yet good).

Yeah while the first games mysteries take more work to figure out compared to the anime for reasons that have already been stated, they still aren't too difficult overall. My first time playing I always made a prediction on who I thought the culprit was at the end of each investigation before the trial started and I was correct in all but one of them (trial two).

By contrast the second games murders are much more complex and out of all the murder investigations I was only able to accurately predict the culprit once (trial three) and even then the reasoning behind it was so far off from what I had assumed that I might as well have been off on that as well. Also while I pretty much figured out all the big reveals of the ending trial in the first game due to numerous hints and foreshadowing, I didn't see any of them coming in the second game.

Spoiler

As IS said the only other entry that is an anime is DR3 and we're all still pretty much in despair from watching that.
  • Insane Soul likes this

2h7297a.jpg

Pro Scientia Atque Sapientia

#37 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

I'm down for us watching a play through of SDR2 (and maybe Ultra Despair girls) since that one (unfortunately) doesnt have an anime adaption. It'd definitely help people get a lot of the references in DR3 (if we choose to go through that train wreck again) since that anime does a piss poor job of helping new viewers understand the significance of certain things that'd they only really get if they played the second game and Despair Girls.

#38 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:03 AM

Well, I have been meaning to play SDR2 once more before the destined day of September, and Goddess Nike expressed interest to watch/play it too? so I am down for it too...

It mostly depends on you guys  :psyduck:

We can also watch the actual DR3 anime (Episode 1 and 2 of Zetsubou Hen, use the games data to fill the rest, HAPPY END?!)

Edited by Insane Soul, 22 June 2017 - 02:04 AM.

#39 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

I'm down for us watching a play through of SDR2 (and maybe Ultra Despair girls) since that one (unfortunately) doesnt have an anime adaption. It'd definitely help people get a lot of the references in DR3 (if we choose to go through that train wreck again) since that anime does a piss poor job of helping new viewers understand the significance of certain things that'd they only really get if they played the second game and Despair Girls.

Meh, a play through could be a hella boring to watch, I'd rather just watch something else...

#40 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

This is a Visual Novel though, I would argue it is more exciting than watching an anime.

• Blue22 and gamria like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users