Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

wQTGFPs.jpg?2

(Jasper City)

Date, January 7th

After a week of journeying you arrive at Jasper City which will be the starting site of the 290th Hunter Exam. The cool morning air still lingers as the sun is just starting to rise above the tops of the buildings off in the distance. It is only mid-morning but busy streets are alive full of people visiting various shops with cars and buses driving by carrying people through the city. You take out a piece of paper that you received from a Navigator that led you to the city. The paper reads “Matilda's Bookstore” with an address scribbled below it. You begin to walk through the city heading to the shopping district.

You arrive at a small two-storied book store tucked neatly in the middle of a row of various buildings and shops in the shopping district of Jasper City. You open the door and a small bell rings from atop the entrance signaling that someone has entered the store. You glance around the shop and notice that it is nearly filled to the brim with books. The store is packed with rows and rows of bookshelves stuffed tightly full of books with even more books stacked in columns on the floor that nearly reach the ceiling. You walk over to the counter where a small, old woman with short, slightly gray, curly hair is sitting behind the register. She is wearing a pair of thick lensed glasses with her face half covered by a book. “I’m here to check out a book”, you say. The old woman glances up at you from her book and replies “What book are you looking for?” You then repeat the phrase the Navigator told you to, “I’d like to check out the book ‘History of the Vanished Empire, Volume 4’, please.” The woman pauses for a moment to look at you then reaches in a drawer behind the desk and pulls out a small ticket and hands it to you. “Go out the back door and follow the alleyway to the right until you see a door with a red X marked on it. Knock on the door and hand them the ticket”, she says pointing over her shoulder to the backdoor. “Good luck”, she says and glances down back to the book she was reading.

You head through the back door and follow the alleyway to the right like the woman said. After walking for a few minutes you approach a door with a red X marked on it and knock one time. The iron door makes a loud thud sound before going quiet. Suddenly a small metal panel opens up in the door and a man in a gruff voice says, “Ticket please” while holding out his hand. You hand the man the ticket and the large iron door swings open revealing a man in a black suit and dark shaded sunglasses sitting in a chair with a newspaper in his hand. You step inside and the man presses a button and the door shuts behind you. You stand inside a small room with no windows or entrances other than the one you just came in. “Brace yourself”, the man says just before pushing another button next to him and suddenly the room drops and you feel like you are in free fall barely able to keep your feet to the floor, but before you realize it the room comes to a stop and the man presses another button and the door you just entered swings open and he gestures for you to exit.

As you exit the room the door closes behind you and you can hear the faint sounds of the room darting back up to the surface. You are standing in what seems to be a dimly lit maintenance hallway with cables and pipes running along the ceiling edges. The city noises you were able to hear moments ago have gone completely quiet indicating you are quite far below the city. At your feet is a white arrow painted on the floor pointing left. You follow the arrow for a while passing several other doors and maintenance boxes before reaching a large metal door. You open the door and standing before you is a large, man-made tunnel shooting off in two opposite directions. You look around and standing in the enormous open tunnel is a large group of people in all different shapes and sizes carrying all sort of gear and equipment with some talking among themselves and others standing around quietly. These are your fellow Hunter Exam participants.  

Spoiler

You step into the large open area and a small, odd looking person runs up to you. They are carrying a bag full of badges with a number printed on them. He reaches into his bag and says, “Hello there! My name is Beans and I am from the Hunter Association. Please take a number”, handing you one of the badges with a number on it. “These numbers are very important and represent the place in which you arrived to the Exam site. Please do your best to hold on to them.” With that he turns around and walks off to go greet another one of the examinees. You pin the number to your chest like everyone else then precede to walk further into the room. 

tBv7YbC.jpg?1

• XTR3ME and Blue22 like this

#2 XTR3ME

XTR3ME

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Seraphen stood atop one of the many skyscrapers surrounding the Hunter Exam site. Her thoughts were with the orphans she left back at the Arena, her heart pounding incessantly, wishing she was back there on the streets with them. She knew the reason she came to take the Exam. She wanted to be a licensed Treasure Hunter, so she could change the lives of street rats everywhere. Seraphen adjusted her heavily modified skates and leaped from her perch, 50 stories up, enjoying the feeling of freefall. Manipulating her nen, she changed the polarity of her skates, allowing them to stick to the building as she pushed her down along its side. 

Upon a rather sketchy landing in a back alley, ”I’ll have to work on my landings a bit more,” she thought to herself. Dusting herself off as she maneuvered towards the bustling main street, nearly bumping into a rather tall dark skinned brute. The shaggily dressed man murmured a few curses at her back. Seraphen followed the flow of citizens, snatching herself some foodstuffs to eat along the way from unaware vendors. She soon found herself standing at the entrance of the Site, shoving the last of her morsels into her mouth before making her way inside. She was greeted by a weird looking man in a suit, calling himself Mr. Beans, he shoved what looked like a pin of sorts into her hands. Looking down at the pin, it had the number 117 emblazoned across it. As her eyes adjusted to the change of light, she saw the other occupants had similar buttons on their persons, she followed suit and attached her button to the bandolier across her chest. Working her way deeper into the room, she awaited the start of the exam.

Edited by XTR3ME, 18 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Oben

Oben

there were no malfunctions

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Unten arrived rather late. His strategy – beating up wannabes until one of them would hand him his equipment and tell him the location of the testing site – had, indeed, worked out, but then he had entered a deceptive bus, and was forced to hijack it and drive in the opposite direction, which had also cost some time. Then, he had searched for the local drug-gang, dropped a few names, and was disrectely pointed further towards the site, in exchange for a hefty sum of money. Apparently, huge secret underground concrete structures still had to be cleaned by someone. So far, he had spent almost 500,000 Jenny on the exam, most of his savings. But these were acceptable expenses, he thought, considering that having a Hunter License would make him rich quickly soon enough. He entered the bookstore, hoped for the best and followed the directions he had received.

The underground facility that hosted the exam was already packed with at least 500 people, probably more. Wasn't only one of ten-thousand supposed to arrive here? Gee. The air in the hall was horrible. No faces that Unten recognized, but that was no surprise. He was handed a number – 523, well guessed – by an awkward little man. He pinned it on his vest, and, after a little consideration, attached an additional needle to it. He chose a position close to the entrance, where he could observe the people coming later than him and, if necessary, escape more quickly. One guy tried to give him a can of soda, but an annoyed glance scared him away. An interesting, large crowd – if only a few could succeed, the selection would have to be especially gruesome. Appropriate.

Edited by Oben, 18 June 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#4 Jinx

Jinx

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWho Knows?

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Walking through crowded streets the young warrior followed his nose towards the commercial area. Enjoying the bustle of the busy city Akihito Ren took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Scent flowed from food stands, sound rolled through groups and out of pubs. Opening his eyes he smiled happily and proceeded onwards. Taking another look at the note Ren decided to familiarise himself with the area a bit more before entering the bookstore. He had already mapped out most of the streets but he wanted to go over them one more time, the Hunter Exam was well known for being incredibly difficult so he wanted every advantage he could get.

Thirty more minutes of walking left Ren satisfied and thirsty, picking a pub within sight of the bookstore he sat down at a table outside and gestured the waiter for a drink.
Time passed as did hundreds of people, Ren kept a keen eye on all of them. Carpenters, farmers, bakers, craftsmen and many others passed by but there were only few that Akihito Ren's eye lingered on.

Warriors. Over the course of an hour many passed and nearly all went into the bookstore however none came back out. Ren felt excitement and a tinge of fear, did they fail? Amongst them were combatants he judged as skilled or perhaps even better than himself but surely such a small store couldn't house that many people? Unable to resist any further he chugged down his drink and settled his tab, moving towards the bookstore his heart grew heavier until it seemed like he was wading through water. Extending his hand he pushed open the door and with the ringing of the bell all his stress vanished.

-----

Taking another deep breath Ren opened the large metal door and sized up the competition, he cast a quick glance at each of them while closing the door behind him and walking towards the opposite side of the tunnel, smiling and nodding at anyone whose gaze crossed his. Kindly refusing a drink offered to him by a friendly old man he took the badge offered to him by the green examiner -314 it said-  and pinned it to his shirt.

One bad day away from insanity

#5 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Annoyed. That more or less sums up Zane's feelings about the whole ordeal. And to think, the exam hasn't even started yet. He thought he'd just be able to sail to the exam site. That's how he got everywhere. But when he reached what he thought was his destination, it turned out to be one of those cliched tests to see who was really worthy of taking the exam. It was simple and he ended up passing with flying colors. Little did he know, that it was just a precursor to three other pre-tests. Each designed to whittle down the number of people traveling to the real exam site. They were all simple tests of intelligence and perceptiveness that any idiot could have solved. And yet, by the end of it, he was the only one left in his group of ten other potential applicants.

Zane understood the importance of these pre-tests. It's better to separate the wheat from the chaff now so the real examiners don't have to waste their time. But four in a row was just redundant. He finally had enough when he found himself and his guide wondering aimlessly through a dark swamp.

"Hey!" he yelled "If you don't mind, I'd like to get to the exam. Today maybe!"

The guide was a, presumably, short old woman hiding under a dingy, brown cloak. She answered with a small haughty laugh, annoying Zane to the point where he was ready to just turn around and go home. But as soon as that thought entered his head, it was immediately kicked out by his memory of his wife on her deathbed.

He sighed "It's for Celine"

After a little over an hour of walking (with most of his time wasted fighting off the creatures in the swamp while protecting his guise) they finally reached their stopping point: a bog with bubbling, purple water. Zane grimaced at the sight of it.

"I hope you aren't expecting me to go in there. I love water more than most people but that just looks unhealthy....that is water, right?"

Zane held his hand in front of the bog, using his nen ability to slowly churn the water.

"Well that answers that." he shrugged

The fact that he was about to use his nen to manipulate it meant there had to be at least some trace amount of H20 in there. Even if he couldn't make out what the rest of it was.

Wasting no time, the guide took a deep breath and jumped into the bog, completely disappearing under the water. A look of pure disgust spread across Zane's face as he figured that would mean that he needs to jump in too. Not one to just randomly dive into strange bubbling liquids, Zane used focused all of his aura on his eyes and used gyo to exam the water. Sure enough, somebody else's aura was all over it. He wouldn't be shocked if this entire bog was someone sort of conjuration. The fact that it was most likely man-made did manage to slightly put him at ease. But that was before he noticed that his guide hadn't come up for air yet. That could mean one of two things. There's somewhere he has to swim to, or something in there killed her. Hoping for the former (but not particularly minding the latter) Zane surrounded himself with a protective layer of aura and plunged, feet first, into the bog.

Once he was inside, he found that the water was...shockingly clear. He could move freely and see clearly, as if he were wearing goggles. He was clearly floating but, at the same time, he didn't exactly feel like he was underwater. Just to be sure, he slowly started to inhale through his nose...and he could breathe just fine. He looked for his guide but she was nowhere to be found. His only company in this vast, blue emptiness was a bright light, shining a few meters below him. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that's where Zane should probably be going. So he swam to the lighting, extending his arm out to touch it. As soon as makes contact, he passes through it and finds himself in the middle of Jasper City, the starting site of the 290th Hunter Exam.

It takes a while for Zane's eyes to adjust to the sunlight as he realizes that he's not only soaking wet, but sitting in a water fountain. His guide throws a coin at him, which bounces off his head and lands in the shallow water. She gives another smug laugh and signals for him to follow her. She guides him to a small two-storied book store tucked neatly in the middle of a row of various buildings and shops in the shopping district of Jasper City. She shoves a piece of paper in his hands. It isn't until he's done reading what's on the paper that he realizes she's gone.

"...Crazy old bat."

Not particularly peeved at losing his creepy guide, Zane shrugs and walks into the book store. As he walks to the front desk, he notices the woman at the register looks eerily like the same woman who guided him through the swamp.

"What gives, lady?" He demands, slapping the piece of paper on the counter "You know, when you gave me this sloppily written instruction manual, I thought that meant I was being handed off to somebody new. Maybe someone who can talk and tell me where the exam is!"

The woman looked completely unphased as she slowly peered up from the book she was reading. She sighed and looked down at the paper that Zane had rudely slammed on her desk.

"If I had a coin for every man who mistook me for my sister, I'd have enough money to buy back all the boyfriends she's stolen over the years." she said

Zane's eyes widen in shock as he realizes the mistake he had made

"Oh my gosh, ma'am. I'm didn't mean to snap at you like that! I just thought you were..."

"Save it, pal. Now we both know what a bitch she is."

The woman reached in a drawer behind the desk and pulled out a small ticket and hands it to Zane.

“Go out the back door and follow the alleyway to the right until you see a door with a red X marked on it. Knock on the door and hand them the ticket”

Zane noded and gave another apology before heading out the back door like the woman said.

After reaching the door and giving the guard his ticket, Zane is taken to a large, man-made tunnel. There had to have been at least 200 other people and yet the tunnel didn't seem to be anywhere near full. Still, this was way too many people than Zane was comfortable being around, and most of them didn't look particularly friendly (hell, some of them didn't even look human). Zane found a space that was far enough away from the majority of the crowd, and sat on the floor with his back against the wall. He stared at the wedding ring that he still kept on his hand and let out a sad sigh.

"I made it, Celine. But it should be you here."

Zane spends the next few minutes staring off into space and daydreaming about his kids when he finally notices an very strange looking man in a blue suit standing right in front of him. The man reaches into his bag and pulls out a badge.

“Hello there!"  He greeted Zane "My sincerest apologies. I would have greeted you at the door, but there was a pressing matter that I needed to attend to."

"No problem; but...who are you?"

"My name is Beans and I am from the Hunter Association. Please take a number”

"Oh.,.um...okay." Zane does as he's told and takes the badge that Bean had picked out for him. It was a plain white circle with the number 217 written in a bold black font. "Thanks"

“These numbers are very important and represent the place in which you arrived to the Exam site. Please do your best to hold on to them.”

And with that, the tiny little man walked away to go greet some more applicants. Zane pinned the badge to his chest and continued to daydream. He supposed he should have been using his time to get to know some of the other applicants, but he wasn't much of a people person and he was having a hard time finding any who looked nice enough to talk to.

Edited by Blue22, 21 June 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#6 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

MOA Titled: Don't worry, there's a Tl;dr

This was it. Jasper City. This was where the big things go down. Moa had never been to such a noisy and populous place before. There were so many people who looked so different from one another. Were they all really here for the exam? Didn’t look like it. They were all walking in different directions, some just sitting around. These must be vagabonds, too, Moa thought. They look just like Io, Humla and all the other guys. All dirtied, tired-looking and lying down in places where everybody else stand up.
Moa had an appointment. He was too meet “The Locator” in this city. He had the address on a piece of paper, and without delaying went about finding the exact location. It turned out to just be the corner of a pretty typical street. There was a restaurant at this corner, another place with lots of blinking red lights across the street where only a few mean-looking people entered, and all the other places seemed closed. Perhaps because it was the middle of the night by now — it had taken him the whole day finding this location. He hadn’t before really tried to ‘find’ things. He had no possessions to misplace, and he had never gotten such finite directions to a spot before. Hell, the only reason he made it to Jasper City was because it was a straight, major road from where he was before.
Luckily for Moa, he didn’t have to wait too long — the time for the meeting was just a couple of hours away, and Moa was quite literally an expert at waiting. He was no stranger to boredom, so by now, contemplating whatever was within his field of view, time just sped up. He spent his time in the night time, on the corner of a restaurant, just blankly staring at the blinking red lights. He particularly thought about why the curtains in front of the window every now and again opened up to reveal a pair of leering eyes, staring back at him. Was that one of the men who entered earlier? He didn’t notice many of them leave.
The Locator finally came. He looked like a fairly normal but tired man, and he had a big backpack with all kinds of stuff in it. Moa had heard of this guy from Io, one of the vagabonds he had stayed with. This was, apparently, a guy who knew everything there is. He knew of all kinds of people, all kinds of places, and he knew exactly how to get there. He was basically everything Moa wasn’t. He was the man who would lead him to where the Hunter Examination was held.
“Let’s go talk in here”, the man said. Somehow he recognized that it was Moa, even though they had never met. Perhaps his appearance stood out.
The restaurant was dimly lit and practically empty. The morning customers wouldn’t arrive for a while. Moa and The Locator sat down at a table and Moa watched him order drinks for them.
“Okay, so. First things first. Do you have the funds?”
Moa understood that this meant money, which he did have, and gave it all to The Locator. He had no use for it, anyway. It was just what the vagabonds had given him.
“Good, good. How’s Io doing?”, The Locator asked absent-mindedly while putting away the money inside his inner pocket.
“I don’t know, I’m not with him. Fine when I left”, Moa answered candidly, which surprisingly didn’t appear to be the right answer, because the man just looked at him funny and then shrugged it off.
“Good… So, the place is here”, The Locator put down a piece of paper on the table. “And you need to ask her specifically what I wrote down here, you understand?”
“Yes”, Moa said, not really understanding.
The pair’s drinks arrived, without cutting off The Locator’s speech.
“Look man, if you get killed during this thing, I’m not to blame, okay? You know what you’re getting into?”, The Locator seemed more and more concerned that Moa really didn’t belong here. “I know you’re friends with Io and all, but… it’s my reputation at stake! I don’t just give these kinds of leads to anybody, you know?”
Moa pondered his question for a bit. He did not know what he was getting into at all, but contrary to what The Locator’s mood suggested, Moa didn’t think that was an issue. He wanted to discover what it was like, and he didn’t fear for his life.
The Locator took a sip of his hot drink. He looked at Moa differently for a bit. “Show me your Ren”, he said, but immediately understood that Moa wouldn’t get what he actually meant, so he interrupted himself: “Use Ren with your cup there”, and pointed to Moa’s drink. The Locator already knew Moa could use Nen, judging by his aura, but he wanted to see what he could do, although specifically without rousing any suspicion. Performing the water divination test himself, his drink started to grow more and more lucid until it was perfectly clear, like water. He was a skilled Emitter, which showed in how much the color of the water changed.
Moa quickly followed suit, this was a task Carabine had made him do as well, although with a leaf on top. Just like last time, the contents of his drink slowly but surely diminished, until there was barely anything left. The Locator looked with one eyebrow raised, first at the glass, then at Moa, then back at the glass.
“So you’re a Specialist, then?” he assumed and leaned back in his chair.

“Alright, well… You sure are something, that’s for sure... Now scram, kid. I see another customer outside.”
Moa inspected the ‘other customer’ as he left, making sure to take the slip of paper The Locator had given him and put it somewhere safe. After he left the restaurant and headed elsewhere, The Locator sighed to himself. What was the deal with that kid? That strange aura… and the divination test? He thought, and picked up Moa’s empty glass. When he looked inside it, he saw that even the paint on the porcelain had been worn down.

“I’d like to… check out the… Book of the Vanished Empire, Volume 4… Please”, Moa stuttered out. His reading comprehension was still in the early stages, although he was developing quickly. The librarian gave him yet another slip of paper with instructions, which if anything made Moa hope the next clues would be more up his alley. Perhaps with less words and directions, and more… looking at pretty birds.
Upon arriving at the destined door, and giving the friendly greeter his ticket, Moa stood himself in the center of the big escalator while it quickly descended.
When Moa entered the Exam hall with all the other applicants, he breathed a sigh of relief. Now he felt like he was in the right place, at last. The first person to approach him was a man roughly the size and shape of a jelly bean, who naturally introduced himself as Beans. The man gave Moa a tag with a number to wear on his torso, and so he became Examinee #436. First thing on his agenda: find #435, the one before him, and keep an eye out for when #437 arrives. It felt like a smart thing to do. Second to that, locate and keep track of at least one person for every 100 places, to help him notice if they get split into groups based on their numbers. He could use himself for the 400 range, and wait around for the 500’s, if it reaches that, but he needed to scout out one easy-to-recognize person with a number starting with 3, one with 2, one with 1, and perhaps most important, the double digit people. They got here first, so they’re bound to be interesting. Moa knew that people could be faster than him — most people don’t take hours finding a street — but to be one of the first to arrive, out of 400? That could signify something.
Moa’s detecting went splendid. He was now finished with his analysis and decided to just sit down by the wall, as new arrivals were simmering out.

The tall woman #435 — A really big and muscular woman who got to the exam site just before he did. She looked at Moa, who perhaps got a little too close, with the same eyes that townsfolk had. Moa thought it was because they hadn’t seen many people who looked like him, and was therefore suspicious. Which made him believe that they didn’t have any experience and wasn’t a big threat.

The inked man, #437 — This person had tattoos all over their body, which made their white eyes stand out and look pretty scary. He had a couple knives on his belt, so Moa figured he wasn’t very good at fighting. Moa doesn’t need utensils.

The fat man, #28 — a chubby, short fellow who smiled at everyone. Even Moa could see from afar that he had the look of evil in his eyes, and made sure not to meet his gaze.

The loosedon'thatemeforthisIdidn'tknowwhatelsetoadjective woman, #117 — A blonde woman in somewhat revealing clothes. Moa mostly chose to take note of her because she stood out from the crowd. She didn’t look as stressed out and intimidating as most other contenders.

The plain man, #217 — a plain looking man who wore a flask on his belt. Moa decided to keep an eye on him since he was exactly a hundred applicants after the woman, and the other people in the 200 group didn’t really strike a chord, either.

The tanned man, #314 — A suntanned man carrying all sorts of gear. Another one of the few who were smiling. Moa did not understand the impulse.

The loaded man, #523 — This guy looked more like the kind Moa was expecting to be here. An irritated veteran armed for battle. Moa figured this person had been through these exams before, and wondered if he too should angry to appear experienced.

With his mental notes taken care of, Moa entertained himself the usual way — by doing nothing at all.

Spoiler TLDR

Edited by Hyouzou, 21 June 2017 - 12:41 AM.

#7 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

A random person gets off a boat to jasper city. He is trying to become a hunter it is his dream after his parent’s death.  He has covered himself in a scarf and headband so no one can see his face.  This is his first time in many years that he has seen so many people. Living in a forest with his adopted parents with no people around was too much for the guy. He walks into a back alley to come down when a women with skates bumps into him. He murmurs under his breath “crazy women” as she left the scene. He is able to gather himself together and travels to the pace the navigator told him to go.

He walks into the book store and speaks the password to the older women. He does a number of pointless things before finally a man gave him his badge number it reads #300. After he got his ticket the man looks at his competition. Some seem like they rival him in power others seem worthless. Time will tell who will become a hunter and who will fail. The guy disappear within the shadows, it seems it isn’t his time to be in the lime light right now.

Edited by waleuska, 25 June 2017 - 05:24 PM.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#8 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

"Jasper City, get off!" Sailor yelled to sleeping Kuin, waking him up. Barely awake he entered the harbor and with peace of paper saying "Matildas Bookstore" he walked towards the Shopping District. But before the bookstore Kuin HAD to get some coffee to wake up.

"What a nice shop. Definetely need to check this out properly sometime" Kuin thought when he entered the bookstore. The lady at desk gave him a ticket and opened a door for him after he had said the password. Kuin was 100% awake after the small heartattack he had when the room fell, even though the man in suit had warned him.

The big tunnel that opened in front of his eyes was way too crowded for Kuins liking. Kuin had barely recovered from his shock earlier when a small green man handed him a basket and asked him to pick a number. His number was 224. He wondered what was the little green mans origin while waiting for what would happen next.

Edited by Jekkusormi, 27 June 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#9 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

"How Unten looks around while waiting for other things to happen"

There still seemed to be some time on the clock before the exam started – more and more people kept pouring in – so Unten had a look around. He was taller than most of the crowd, so he had an overview even by standing on the sidelines. From his previous life, he unconciously focused on the well-armed ones, and those with a physique similar to his own. And the freaks, of course. He'd have loved to use Ren to get a response, but he figured that this would only rile people up unnecessarily.

Who was there... Number 18 – a man even more massive and loaded than himself, who looked like he could easily hide an assault rifle under his shirt. And such a low number, probably a veteran. Unten decided to monitor him closely, if possible, since they were the same type of fighter and #18 probably had some experience. In his mind, Unten called him "Babo".

Number 300 – he was, despite his size, somehow hard to make out in the crowd, but since Unten was specifically searching for this kind of physique, he still recognized him. Looked like a new contestant, but the way he moved made Unten think that he was either a martial artist, or even a user of Nen. "Octopus". This name had slipped into Unten's mind for whatever obscure reason, and he decided to stick with it for now, since it was still better than nothing.

Number 436 – ow... this guy looked like had been hit by a truck and was fixed by a drunk surgeon during a thunderstorm. Impossible to miss, and a number of contestants tried to avoid him. He noticed that "Patchwork" was also looking towards him specifically, and Unten gave him toothful grin.

Numbers 513, 514 and 515 – a team, probably brothers. All of them with the stature of pro-basketball players, a good deal taller than he. "Tick", "Trick" and "Track". They went around to trashtalk some of the weaker-looking contestants, even leading to a small fight that they easily won.

But there were many more, and many also looked at him. Wasn't it about time to start by now?

# of NPCs introduced: 18, 513-515

#10 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

As time went on more and more participants began to gather together inside the large space in the underground tunnel. Other than the odd looking person going around and handing out the badges there didn't seem to be anyone in charge and most of the men and woman were standing on their own or in small groups. Everyone was obviously cautious, but some took the opportunity to try and test and prod the other examinees to see where they stood, maybe hoping to eliminate some before the exam officially began. Some of the ones causing most of the commotion were:

m9EAmFM.jpg?1

(Tompa)

Number 28 – This man is named Tompa, also known as the “Rookie Crusher”, who is a veteran of the Hunter Exam having taken it 37 times before and takes great pleasure in crushing the hopes of rookies who enter the exam. He is a short, stocky middle aged man with a large square-like nose. He appears to be very friendly and talkative and is carrying around several cans of some kind of drink that he is keen to share. He moves quickly through the groups of people trying to engage in friendly conversation, offering advice about the other participants as a token of goodwill, and generously offers the cans of drink to certain ones he carefully picked out. (Need Intelligence or Perception of at least 4 to not take his drink)

Number 83 – Another group of people is gathered near the one of the walls on the opposite side of the tunnel from where #255 is and from that group you occasionally hear a loud BANG noise that echoes through the tunnel and causes everyone to glance over. Although the longer a person waits in the tunnel the less and less they care about the occasional loud BANG and begin to ignore it. Standing with his back against the wall and the source of the noise is a young man named Marcus. He is a slim man of slightly below average height with beady eyes and wears a ski cap to cover his bald head. In front of him are several other examinees with one holding a revolver pointing it at Marcus. Marcus had given the person standing in front of him the gun and challenged him to shoot at him claiming that he could dodge the bullet. Behind him are the bullet holes in the wall showing that he dodged the shots. Every time he dodges the shot he challenges the crowded to try it themselves or if they think his incredible speed is a tick to take the gun and try and shoot him again. Many stand around him with very surprised looks on their faces. The crowd around him seems completely unaware of the nen aura emanating from his feet indicating the source of his speed. (Need Speed of 6 to dodge the bullets and Nen of at least 4 to use Gyo to notice Marcus using nen on his feet)

Number 255 – Known as Strongman Razin. He is a very large man, over 9 feet tall, who has arms the size of tree trunks and hands large enough to completely cover a man’s head. He wears a large square-like helmet covering his head and face. A very boastful man that speaks with a very loud and gruff voice and doesn’t hesitate to insult and belittle those he views as weaker than himself. He delights in showing off his immense strength and tries to provoke others into testing it. He carries around a large two-sided steel club about 10 feet in length (weighs about 5 tons) with a grip in the middle. You see him in the center of a group of people gathered around with him towering above them with him showing off his strength by twirling his steel club in the air and catching it. He yells and calls for others to pick up his club and try to do the same. Several around him tried thinking the club was fake, but they were unable to movie it. (Need Strength of 5 or higher to move the club and the higher your strength the easier you can move it)

-----

Scattered around the rest of the tunnel are other notable individuals. Most are standing on their own closely watching the others or trying to keep to themselves. Some of those examinees are:

Spoiler Some other important NPCs

-----

(If your Intelligence is 7 or higher then you will know a little about the large underground tunnel everyone is standing in. The tunnel was created by the country’s elite, such as those involved in politics and the underworld, to link cities in order to sell and smuggle equipment (weapons or vehicles) and resources (valuable materials, food, or water) between cities unbeknownst to its own citizens. @Oben has a knowledge of the Underworld trait so he knows a bit of the tunnel's history even if he doesn't have 7 INT.)

• Blue22 likes this

#11 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

As the minuets and hours past the flow of new participants into the large open tunnel began to slow until it seems like everyone that was going to arrive had already. The space in the open area was nearly filled to capacity and the applicants were standing nearly shoulder to shoulder to one another. The last examinee to arrive was given the number 727 and he was even surprised by the large number of people gathered as he entered the room. He was a young man with faintly long black hair that just covered his ears with bangs that hung down slightly in front of his eyes. He took the badge with his number on it from Beans and attempted to find a space to stand to wait for the exam to start.

With the large amount of people, all skilled and dangerous in their own way, gathered together in one space the tension in the room was high. There was arguing and bickering amongst the contestants with others engaging in small fights and showing off their skills to test their fellow participants clearly annoyed, and possibly bored, from waiting. As the tension in the room started to intensify a loud RINGING sound like that of a bell burst through one of the passageways in the tunnel and echoed throughout the large open space bouncing off the walls. Immediately all the squabbling stopped and everyone turned their attention to the front of the large group of people and down the long dark tunnel.

zdX1Thd.png?2

(Giovanni)

A blonde haired man in a white suit with a blue stripped shirt and blue tie wearing tented orange sunglasses began to walk down the tunnel carrying some sort of mechanical bell in one hand. He supported a small grin as he made his way towards the group and finally came to a stop in front of the group and tucked away the bell into his side pocket. “Well, this is quite a large group we have”, said the man staring at the group of examinees. “I apologize for the long wait. We didn’t expect to have so many make it this far this year, but this now concludes the registration and we can finally commence the 290th Hunter Exam”, said the man clapping his hands together. “My name is Giovanni and I will be your examiner for Stage One of the exam”, he says while keeping that slight grin on his face. “Now to make sure everyone is keenly aware the Hunters Exam is extremely difficult, so whether it is because of unfortunate luck or a lack of skill, you can get seriously hurt or even die. Even getting incapacitated by your fellow examinees is fairly common during the exam. If you feel like this is too much for you then feel free to leave out of the door you came in”, said Giovanni pointing to the door at the back of the room. The applicants all began to look around at each other wondering if any would drop out, but none did. After a moment Giovanni continued his introduction.

“No surprise after making it this far no one wants to back out. Now Beans, if you would, I’d like you to signal the start of the Stage One exam.” The odd looking small man saluted towards Giovanni and then exited through the door that everyone had entered from. The door closed and an even larger steel door lowered from the ceiling in front of the door sealing it shut completely. Suddenly lights that lined the edges of the ceiling of the tunnel began to flash red and a faint alarm sounded. “This tunnel is used to transport different types of goods and equipment between cities. One of those many goods is water, but not just a little water. Enough water to support an entire city. Soon this whole tunnel will be flooded with a fast moving river of water powerful enough to sweep away large boulders with ease. Down the tunnel I came from there is an exit that leads back to the surface, and so you must reach that exit before the water carries you off down the tunnel. Simple enough, right? Although how long you need to run and how long you have until that water reaches us you do not know. So I would suggest you make your way quickly and try and keep up”, said Giovanni still supporting that same grin on his face.

With that said he spun around, took a runners stance and then took off down the tunnel. The group of examinees began to follow after him with some looking confused and worried about the water behind them some unknown distance away not knowing how long they had until it reached them. The examinees started off sprinting as fast as they could to try and catch up with the examiner and soon the group of examinees began to spread out in pockets based on how fast each could run. 

15qeVvr.jpg?3

(Underground Tunnel)

#12 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Zane couldn't believe his luck

"You've gotta be kidding me" Zane thought "The first test involves water? It's like it was tailor made for me!"

Sure, he'd still have to reach the end of the tunnel before the examiner decided enough people had passed, but even if he didn't make it before the water reached, it'd be no big deal. With his Nen abilities, there were multiple ways for him to avoid being swept away by this supposed "fast moving river of water powerful enough to sweep away large boulders with ease".

Zane was confident, but not stupid. Sure he was casually jogged down the tunnel, without a care in the world, while the applicants around him were running for their lives. But he still had his guard up. He noticed a few other applicants who also didn't seem like they were in a huge rush to escape tunnel. No doubt, they also had some tricks up their sleeves. Zane figured he wouldn't be the only one here who knew how to use Nen, so he might as well use this first test as a way to get to know his competition. Observe the other applicants. See who could be a potential friend or foe. And speaking of foes...

"You're looking pretty sure of yourself, buddy." A gruff voice behind him said "This tunnel flooding with water doesn't scare you?"

A short, middle aged man with an oddly square shaped nose jogged next to Zane. On his back, was a large backpack, that made loud clanking noises with each step. He looked up at Zane with smile. The conditions of this challenge put Zane in particularly good mood. So instead of ignoring, he decided it wouldn't hurt to converse with the funny looking guy.

"Not really" He answered "I have no reason to be afraid of water."

He tried to be as vague as possible. There was no sense in telling just anyone what he could do. Maybe he'll let this guy in on his abilities if he proves to be a useful ally. But until then, he was gonna try and stay as far under people's radars as possible.

"You don't say." The man said, sounding genuinely interested "You a good swimmer or something?"

Zane chuckled "Something like that."

"You know, I don't think I've seen you around here before. This your first time taking the exam?"

"Yeah. Didn't really want to at first. This was always my wife's dream. But she couldn't do it, herself. So here I am."

The man appeared shocked "Wife? A young guy like you is married already?"

Zane smiled "And with three kids."

"Believe it or not, it's actually pretty rare to see an applicant with a family. In all my years taking these exams, I've mostly just seen people doing this for themselves."

"So you're a bit of a veteran applicant" Zane playfully teased

"You don't know the half of it. I've lost count of how many years I've been doing this. The name's Tonpa, by the way."

That made Zane stop in his tracks. He'd definitely heard that name before. Tonpa looked back in confusion when he had noticed that Zane stopped running.

"Something wrong, pal?"

As Zane took a moment to examine Tonpa, he was suddenly hit with memories from over a decade ago. He remembered the stories his wife told him about her first time taking the exam. He remembered all the people she'd used to tell him about.....he remembered the man standing right in front of him. The friendly look he wore on his face through their whole conversation was gone. Replaced with a completely blank, almost cold, expression.

"You...uh....you okay?"

"You said your name was Tonpa, right?"

"Ye...yeah...why?"

"And lemme guess. That backpack you've got. It's full of drinks, laced with laxatives."

That successfully killed what small semblance of a smile that Tonpa had left.

"I...umm...What are you....do I know you?"

"No. You don't. But I know a lot about you, Tonpa the Rookie Crusher."

That did it. Tnnpa was taken completely off guard. He knew he was starting to garner a bit of a reputation outside of the Hunter community, but he didn't think rookies would start coming in here, already knowing who he was. Nevertheless he put on a false bravado and tried his best to hide his fear from Zane. He let out a slight chuckle.

"Okay. You got me. I'm impressed. There's only been one other rookie who's known who I was, right off the bat. Some little shit named Nicole. You aren't a friend of his, are you?"

"Never heard of him." Zane answered bluntly

"Riiiight. Well as curious as I am, we do have a bit of time limit. So I'm gonna go ahead and find some other rookies to mess with. You can keep standing there if you want, though."

Tonpa, turned around to keep running down the tunnel. But as soon as he took one step forward...

"12 years ago." Zane said "My wife, Celine, took this exam for the first time of many times."

"Celine, huh? I think I remember her. Haven't seen her since the exam from two years ago. What's she been up to?"

"She's dead."

"Oh...um...well...my condolences. That really sucks. But...uh...I should probably keep moving. Places to go, rookies to crush. You know the deal."

"Yeah...yeah I do know the deal. And you made sure my wife knew the deal, all those years ago."

Zane unfastened the lid of the flask that he kept on his hip. He didn't even need to use Ren for Tonpa to sense his anger. And yet, to the surprise of them both, he still sounded relatively calm. As if he were still having a normal conversation. It was that calmness that scared Tonpa more than anything.

"You know. It takes a real sick son of a bitch to get off on the failure of others. And an even sicker one, to crush the dreams of a 12 year old girl."

"What can I say?" Tonpa asked with a nervous chuckle "I'm a bit of a sadist."

"You were the very first obstacle that kept her from realizing her dream of becoming a Hunter. And now she'll never get to see that dream come true."

"Look, buddy. I'm sorry about your wife and all, but if we just stay here chatting, we're both gonna get caught in the..."

"That could have been the year she passed. If it wasn't for you, she could have had her license. Who knows? She could have used her connections as a Hunter to cure the disease that killed her."

"You're blaming what I did 12 years ago for her death? You know how stupid you sound?" Tonpa asked, angrily "I don't have to listen to this shit. I've got an exam to screw up for gullible clowns like her."

Tonpa turned around to walk away again but before he could take his first step forward, he felt something wrap around his ankle. Something wet.

"No. I don't think you'll be going anywhere, Tonpa."

Using his Nen ability, Zane unleashed the water in his flask, shaping it into a tendril, and wrapping it around Tonpa's ankle. He smiled at the look of pure horror that had now appeared on Tonpa's face.

"If you're this scared of me with just a tiny flask, I bet I'll be able to make you shit your pants when the river comes through."

"You..you can't be serious, pal! I'll drown if that water catches up to me! And you'll fail the exam."

"You do see what I can do with water, right? Trust me. I've got a plan. You on the other hand...well, it was nice knowing you for these past few minutes."

This situation couldn't be anymore perfect for Zane. When the water reaches them, he'll just use his ability to surf through the rapids and ride straight to the exit. And at the same time, he'd get his revenge on the jerk who made Celine cry, all those years ago. Of course, he wasn't really gonna let Tonpa die. But he was enjoying himself too much to let the sad little dwarf of a man know that.

He smiled "And now we play the waiting game."

#13 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

How Unten spends his time while waiting for progress, and finally the exam starts

A few minute before the start of the exam

Around 700 people had already entered the venue, most of them unimpressive. A lot were starting to get concerned that nothing was happening, and some even started some games to kill time. Unten walked passed five men that were playing poker, a young man and two old women discussing the latest hit fighters from the Heavens Arena (a place, still topic of much debate, even after the terrorist attack or whatever it had been exactly). One guy was trying to bait people into getting shot for some test of speed. None of these things particularly interested Unten, although he did have a hand for gambling and knew some tricks. Then, there was that guy. A massive, bulky man whirling around a steel club like some wooden stick, as well challenging other people. Probably to fin easy victims for later on. Now, he thought, I could try that. If I can't lift it, I know who to look out for, if I can, I can make some impression on the people around and get them to avoid me. He watched the spectacle a bit longer, then he finally stepped up.

"I'd like to try", he said.

Strongman Razin looked at him from head to toes – more seriously than he had watched anyone before – and nodded. He picked up the club and casually threw it towards Unten. The crows gasped, but then Unten grabbed the club out of the air, and the crowd gasped even more. He lifted it a coupe of times, like some training weight, handed it back, and grinned at the shocked crowd.

Then finally, something happened. A subtle, supple man stepped up on the stage. When he introduced the exam – getting out – Unten immidiately started moving. He punched the guy in front of him in the face – it exploded into fine red mist – and began running, simply knocking away the slower and weaker contestants before him, like a battering ram. He grabbed the knuckles he had hidden in his vest and put them on for some extra impact. But while moving with brute force, he tried to keep calm and think through the situation.

He knew of the supply tunnels, because he had passed some himself in smuggling activities. The easiest way was obviously to run straight ahead, but with over 700 people, that would quickly become carnage, especially if the water came fast enough, and he didn't want to run into the stronger contenders on the way. He assumed that the other entrances had been shut as well, but still, there was a chance for parallel maintenance tunnels to still be free to enter. Any underground tunnel should have some safety measures to sustain itself, the Hunter Organisation wouldn't bury 700 people underground. Or so he hoped. He hadn't been able to put himself at the front of the pack, so he moved sideways to get to the tunnel walls. And indeed, there were doors – every twohundred meters or so, and despite being made of steel, they didn't even look all that robust. He didn't plan to enter another tunnel right now, but he wanted to be prepared once the water came. Coming from the left, he tackled another participant against the wall and continued running alongside it. Right now, he was somewhere in the middle of the field. He could see Patchwork in a trove in front of him, but from the participants he had decided to track, that was the only one he could see - well, he was hard to miss.

[OOC] I had the part with the strongman written before, so I just kept it here.

Edited by Oben, 19 July 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#14 Jinx

Jinx

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWho Knows?

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

As more and more contestants entered Ren was glad he had chosen to move to the opposite side the moment he entered the tunnel. Standing motionless like a predator sizing up its prey Ren looked at each contestant as they passed through the door. He paid especially close attention to those who met his gaze, giving them a friendly smile, half to ensure he wouldn't make a bad first impression and half out of joy to have found a competent opponent.

The variety of the participants surprised the young Akihiko greatly. Male and female, young and old, fat and slim, short and tall, it seemed as if half the world had dropped whatever they were doing and crammed themselves into this tunnel. Their capabilities seemed to differ just as greatly, some seemed so powerful that he felt he would not survive even getting close to them whereas the majority seemed like no threat whatsoever. For some it was barely believable that they had found this place and there was even one that Ren wasn't sure was alive.

As time passed and the tunnel started becoming far too cramped for his liking a bell loudly echoed through the tunnel, the room grew quiet as the echo grew ever more silent. He noted the mood shift in the room as the examiner spoke and even more so when he started running, Ren couldn't help but grin widely, finally some excitement!

For a moment many were stunned and talked to seemingly no one in particular.

"Y'r kiddin' roight, dere gunna drown dem slow folks?"

"F-f-f-flood? What?!"

"This new chairman is insane!"

"Reckon she dog paddled through the course first? har har har!"

Then a sense of general panic crashed through the majority of the crowd like a tidal wave, rather ironic Ren thought. Calmly maneuvering past his felow examinees and occasionally along the wall he continued to observe his surroundings. Left and right people fell, some by their own clumsiness and others with their competitors' 'assistance'. As Ren hopped over an unconcious contestant another turned on his heel and swung a metal bat right at his face while yelling "Strike!" 
With the back of his hand Ren batted the weapon aside, using the momentum to turn and deliver a kick to the side of his assailant's head. "I think you're out, friend." He replied as he continued moving and listening.

"Get out of my way!"

"Fly you fools!"

"Hey quit pushing." 

"Get your hands off me!"

Bickering, fighting and pushing others down, many of these contestants seemed more like herd animals than competent warriors. Further forwards the mood seemed somewhat less strained as people were more wary of the combatants beside them than the water behind them. Akihito agreed, there was no use worrying about something you couldn't see, something that might not even be there.
Ren believed he had come to a similar conclusion as those ahead of him, this Hunter Organisation was held in high esteem, it seemed improbable that they'd give a deadly test without first weeding out more of the competition, no he thought, this was a test of the mind. Those who stayed calm and kept a steady pace would persevere, those who panicked and ran with all their might would collapse before reaching the exit.

One bad day away from insanity

#15 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

The first few minutes of the exam were hectic as many of the participants broke off into a sprint and were pushing and fighting to try and gain better position. After about 15 minutes the crowd at the beginning started to thin out some as the group of examinees started to break off in packs running at different speeds.

Strongman Razin was running with one of the groups near the front. As the group approached a slight bend in the tunnel Razin started to fall back from his group until he came to a stop at the bend. He took out his giant metal club and then took a big swing at the walls and ceiling of the tunnel. The sounds of the club smashing into the stone walls echoed down the tunnel and within seconds a giant piece of stone rubble fell from the ceiling blocking the path with Razin, and a few other examinees, just being able to make it to the other side before being crushed. He took out small communicator from his pocket telling someone on the other end that the tunnel is now blocked before continuing back up the tunnel. 

With the pathway now blocked with rubble other examinees further behind started to approach the blockade. With the stones far too large to move a small panic ensued as some tried to find holes and cracks to squeeze through, but were unsuccessful.

-----

On the other side of the rubble Razin set his focus on trying to attack the examinees that made it to the other side with him. He lunged after the closest ones swinging his massive steel club, but it was blocked by large, muscular man in a grey sweater. Examine #205. Stunned that someone could block his swing he collected himself and then tried to attack #205 directly, but the man effortlessly blocked and evaded every swing. 

While the two men were fighting the other examinees caught in their brawl tried to make it past them doing their best to dodge the wild swings of Razin and #205. Some were unfortunately caught in the crossfire. Growing frustrated Razin began grabbing other random participants to use and shields against the heavy punches and kicks of #205 and also began throwing them at #205 as a distraction, but #205 easily hits them out of the way, with a crazed smile printed on his face, focusing only on wanting to kill Razin.

-----

Back at the start where Zane and Tompa are a man a little further ahead that was busy picking off stragglers observed the two men arguing while tucking a communicator into his pocket. It was #83, Marcus. The man that was showing off his ability to dodge bullets in the tunnel before the exam starts. Seeing the abilities that Zane possessed Marcus thought it would be good to try and eliminate the man here. So he took out his revolver and aimed it at Zane preparing to fire.  

@Oben

Your character is in the group right behind the blockade and were able to hear and see the rubble as it fell. You are strong enough to probably smash your way through the large stone chunks if you want to sit there and take the time to do that, but with your knowledge of the parallel service tunnel you can work your way around too if you want.

@Jinx

Your character was in the same group as Razin and just made it to the other side with him and a few others before the ceiling fell. You are caught up in the Razin and #205 fighting on the other side and are trying to get past them without getting injured. 

@Blue22

Your character is still in the very back waiting for the water to come, but was seen by Marcus. He is about on the same level as you stats wise but possess a nen ability that lets him easily dodge bullets and other attacks. You can't tell yet if it deals with speed or some kind of illusion. I can give you more info about him if you need. 

#16 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

MOA Titled: On the Run

Moa initially stood still while everyone else began running. He faced the other end of the tunnel, focusing on his hearing and could, under the roar of foot steps, hear a distant roar from the water rushing through. He decided it would be best to run — if he could hear the water coming, even though it's nowhere in sight down the long tunnel, it must be a great torrent of water. He began to lightly jog, which from other joggers perspectives was more akin to a sprint.
   Moa noticed that #437, the tattooed man, began to approach him. The man had spiky black, unkempt hair that almost obscured his almost glowing white eyes. His skin was black from the ink that covered almost all of his skin, and made his face look more like a skull. On his belt, the man had two oddly shaped knives, fastened in an X-formation on his backside, presumably for easy access. The tattooed man ran behind Moa, which forced him to stay on his guard. He didn't plan on getting stabbed in the back right from the start. He considered employing En, but since he couldn't see Ten around the tattooed man, he figured he wasn't a Nen user and shouldn't be a threat big enough to warrant the exhaustion En would evoke. He instead tried to outrun the man, but it seemed that each speed increase only put him closer on his tail.
   It was clear, by this point, that Moa's shadow was indeed after him. Probably to kill him, perhaps because of his sinister look and aura — though that wouldn't fit if the man was no Nen user — or he was just getting close to someone capable in case fighting broke out and he needed an ally. After all, they both looked pretty weird and oddly kind of similar too. Nevertheless, this was an untenable situation. He can't keep all of his attention behind him just because of this threat, it would leave him open to any others. Confrontation was the best solution.
   Moa quickly spun around, prompting the tattooed man to abruptly stop as to not crash into him. In that same instant, the man drew his two blades from behind him, and a formidable aura blasted out from all around him. So he was a Nen user, just a very skilled one. He had developed a Zetsu identical to the aura of uninitiated people, that is, a tiny aura that constantly leaks. Moa now got a quick glance at the weapons: the left one had a wavy blade with many thorn-like spikes, which made it look more like an unripened shoot than an effective weapon. The blade in his right hand was shaped like a dreadful scythe, with the handle a small closed bronze hand.
   Other participants were running past while the two were locked in a sort of combat-by-anticipation, until the silence was broken by the tattooed man. "Bloom", he uttered, at which the ink covering his skin seemed to glow a warm color, spreading like blood through veins through his tattoos until it all pooled together into the plant-like knife. Its blade literally started blooming, growing in size and acquiring off-shoots, just as wavy as the first. It looked less and less like an effective tool, but the way the blades were wiggling about spelled trouble. "Harvest". The same thing happened again, but now with a cool shine flowing into his scythe-blade. The baby hand opened up into a claw-grip, as if trying to grab something, while the scythe itself coiled about.
   Typical for Moa, he started to quickly analyze what this could tell him about his adversary. First off: he showed valuable information about his Hatsu to Moa. Was this simply idiocy, or a strategy? Was the ability something different than he displayed? Secondly, what could he deduce from the weapons? The opponent was most probably a Manipulator, since the blades were in his possession all along. If they were conjured weapons, he surely wouldn't carry them around all the time. The names... One weapon was a symbol for plants, the other looked like a harvesting scythe — one of the few tools Moa had seen during his travels through the countryside, other than weapons. Perhaps one created plants, while the other reeled them back in? Moa decided to counter with a display of power as well. He emitted his hungry aura with Ren, while summoning a small Geometry cube in his palm, ready to be deployed at any time. 
   The two seemed to stand like that for far too long, ignoring all their competitors bypassing them. The only thing that ultimately broke the standstill was the crashing sound of rocks falling down from somewhere further up. Had the walls caved in? Moa's opponent's eyes widened, he was facing that way. Moa afforded a glance that way, and sure enough, boulders previously making up the tunnel itself had sealed it shut.

"Fuck it", the tattooed man said, and sheathed his weapons. "I thought I had more time for some fun...". The man quickly dashed past Moa, who made no effort to seize him, and in a moment the two were separated. He breathed a sigh of relief, and looked forward to the big hindrance in his way. There must be some cracks in that thing, otherwise... this exam might be cut short.

Spoiler TLDR

Edited by Hyouzou, 14 August 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#17 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

For the first time in the exam, Unten felt geniuenely angry. That fucking strongman, he thought, should've just smashed his head in earlier. Some people right in front of him got hit by the rubble, the rest took a sharp stop. Some of the weaker ones collapsed over the sudden change of pace, but most immidiately tried to climb on the rubble or to move it away, albeit unseccesful. Unten was in a dilemma – he could use the supply tunnels now, but everyone would see him kick in the door and likely follow him. The alternative was to break through, which he thought himself capable of, but would take time and stamina... but it would keep his trump card in play. Who knew what else the people in front would come up with later. Was this the situation to make the most of the tunnels? Probably not, since no massive fighting had started yet, even if some people were getting into combat already. He could even smell some aura being used behind him. So then, force through. He grabbed the first rock, flexed his muscles, - Osu -  and threw it behind. Unfortunately, nobody was hit, but quickly, a circle formed around him. Nobody dared to touch him, because he was their ticket through, but he knew that once he broke through, they'd attack him. Well, they could try. He was pretty sure that some of them were strong enough themselves, but tried to preserve strength. Screw them, he thought... even if it would be nice if someone helped.

#18 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

About 45 minutes had passed since the start of the exam. At the blockade in bend in the tunnel Unten was making steady progress with removing the rubble from the passageway. The obstacle had caused a bottleneck and a very large group of examinees now all stood in the area directly behind the blocked path, with a few new examinees still trickling in every few minutes. At first Unten was all on his own as the other participants were being very cautious to not get too close to one another in such a cramped area, but eventually, with the looming threat of the water behind them, several began to help Unten in breaking the reinforced rock to make the progress quicker.

A few of the ones that stood out was a severely disfigured man #436, a man covered in tattoos #437, and a very tall slender woman with long black hair #199. They seemed to have an air of confidence around them as they worked on the rubble that many of the others did not have. Some still stood to the side being careful to not get too close to the other examinees, especially the ones removing the blockage.

On the other side of the obstruction the fight between Strongman Razin and #205 was still evolving. On the ground around them laid a few other examinees that had gotten caught up in their fight, and Raizn was in utter disbelief that someone could stand against him; unhurt on top of it. Razin body was battered and bruised having to spend most of his energy on just defending.

Razin eventually found himself pinned between the blockade and #205 and then suddenly #205 stopped attacking. The crazed look that was on his face became even more intense as he changed his stance into a defensive one and began concentrating his ren into his fist. The aura strong and wild enough for the people on the other side of the rubble to feel it. Unten, Moa, the tattooed man and the tall slender woman all suddenly stopped working and immediately jumped away from the rubble and ran further down the tunnel along with a few others with the rest wondering what had happened.

A few moments later a giant explosion erupted from the other side of the rubble and shot down the passageway knocking all those that didn’t run on their back. After the dust and smoke cleared in place of the blockade was now a giant crater which reopened the tunnel. Laying on the ground amongst the rubble and debris was Razin’s mangled and twisted body. #205 stood looking down the tunnel at the other examinees very pleased with himself. He then turned around and began running back down the passageway. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users